• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I main a necro/reaper and they are a lot of fun. It's pretty quick to get to 80 and unlock your skill set, so don't worry too much about locking yourself in.

Maybe you could shed some light on something for me - I don't really, I dunno, fully grasp the shroud mechanic of necomancers. Like, as I'm going about my low level scrub business of leveling through events and hearts, I don't even think to bother pressing F1 most of the time. Is it generally a more group/pvp thing that comes into play later?

Mxrz

Data-miners / Reddit mods can eat several dicks.

Thanks for the info!

What are the classes to play right now solo/group/raid? Also does race have any benefits to the class you select? i.e. Asura elementalist?

Been itching to play a new MMO since I recently built my first new PC in six years.

Generally you can play whatever class you want in PvE. But you'll need to run a "meta approved" build to come near any high end pick up groups. A big chunk of that is having the right gear, which is what makes it a long, long ways off for any new player. There is a buttload of other (better) content out there to get through.

Stats and builds don't really matter much until you hit 80. 1-80 is basically a big long hands off tutorial. Sort of like how 1-20 used to be. One of the game's high points is during this phase when you start to realize how stats affect how you play, how skills and traits fit in and all that. I'd sit back and enjoy the ride.

Save all your gold and materials. Salvage everything you aren't going to use (Basic kit is fine until your start getting yellow (rares) item higher than level 68. That is where ectoplasm comes from.) The entire game scales, but you'll still receive the appropriate level loot/xp. You can basically get to 80 by just doing each of the race's starting zones. Although you want to keep your item levels no more than 10 levels below your character level (e.g. a level 15 weapon scales down terrible on a level 45 character.) Heart vendors should keep you covered.

At 80, the goal should be to hit full exotic gear. Most likely Berserker stats (Power, precision, ferocity.) Defensive stats just aren't terribly useful in PvE once you grasp how the combat works. Active defense like dodges, blocks, and positioning will do more than any amount of toughness. Mix-n-matching stats doesn't work too well for the most part, so you'll want to focus on one stat combo.

WvW and PvP are different entirely. There, defensive stats and traits can actually matter. Although WvW (Think AB) will use your PvE gear. WvW will give you XP & loot like PvE-land, so you can level up in there if you prefer. Its how I did my first character way back then. PvP uses different gear entirely. All the stats come from the amulets, everyone is equal, etc. Its a good place to mess around with builds and preview a class even if you aren't into PvP.

Metabattle.com is basically GW2's PvX wiki, although a bit less useful imo.

spiritfox

Meta builds don't really matter outside of PvP and Raids. If you're just running around in the open world you can do whatever as long as you like it.

Sonicbug

Maybe you could shed some light on something for me - I don't really, I dunno, fully grasp the shroud mechanic of necomancers. Like, as I'm going about my low level scrub business of leveling through events and hearts, I don't even think to bother pressing F1 most of the time. Is it generally a more group/pvp thing that comes into play later?

In my reaper build I use it as a second chance health bar because I have it set to activate when my health bottoms out. I do do much pvp or wvw stuff, and there are probably builds out there that make heavier use of it. In the I didn't use it much before. There are other necros about that might have better insight.

Wanderer5

WHY IS EVERYTHING COMING OUT TODAY?!

Hyper Light Drifter, Miitomo along with My Nintendo, now this.

FML.

I not sure if I going to go for Tribulation mode again (as much crazy fun World 1 was), but I probably work towards those orange skins.

Taffer

Reaper is mint because it addresses so many of necro's faults, if you don't have HoT you're playing the gimped version of the profession still. It's not absolute toilet - they got better just before HoT launched but you can expect randoms to look down their noses at you for not bringing a more useful professsion. If you're going to get HoT though make a necro because holy shit wheeeeeeeeeeeee.

E: Where is Lord Vanquish?

Morokh

My more cynical self can't help but think 'diversion tactics to appease the masses after all the bad news', but hey, I'll take it since I've always missed it :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I either want to try leveling my year-defunct level 16 necro tonight or start a Totem-build path of exile character. Hrmmm.

Wanderer5

I said I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through Tribulation Mode again, and yet I just did zone 1 of world 1 in it lol. Think I'll make the green shield.

nataku

Seems like SAB is going to be a yearly thing now. I really hope they finish it off though, I'd hate for it to feel like it's in limbo all the time.

SAB was frustrating for me last time. I really want some of those achievements.

Is there any easier to follow guides than Dulfys? I am completely useless at SAB.

Xion385

Hi there,

Just post your character name and we will invite you to the guild :)

Ill Raise Ur Bones.

I have a cheesy naming system for my characters. The verb is the only thing that changes by class. I'll Slash..... Heal (When there was a monk.)

It's cheesy but easy to keep track of.
Data-miners / Reddit mods can eat several dicks.

Generally you can play whatever class you want in PvE. But you'll need to run a "meta approved" build to come near any high end pick up groups. A big chunk of that is having the right gear, which is what makes it a long, long ways off for any new player. There is a buttload of other (better) content out there to get through.

Stats and builds don't really matter much until you hit 80. 1-80 is basically a big long hands off tutorial. Sort of like how 1-20 used to be. One of the game's high points is during this phase when you start to realize how stats affect how you play, how skills and traits fit in and all that. I'd sit back and enjoy the ride.

Save all your gold and materials. Salvage everything you aren't going to use (Basic kit is fine until your start getting yellow (rares) item higher than level 68. That is where ectoplasm comes from.) The entire game scales, but you'll still receive the appropriate level loot/xp. You can basically get to 80 by just doing each of the race's starting zones. Although you want to keep your item levels no more than 10 levels below your character level (e.g. a level 15 weapon scales down terrible on a level 45 character.) Heart vendors should keep you covered.

At 80, the goal should be to hit full exotic gear. Most likely Berserker stats (Power, precision, ferocity.) Defensive stats just aren't terribly useful in PvE once you grasp how the combat works. Active defense like dodges, blocks, and positioning will do more than any amount of toughness. Mix-n-matching stats doesn't work too well for the most part, so you'll want to focus on one stat combo.

WvW and PvP are different entirely. There, defensive stats and traits can actually matter. Although WvW (Think AB) will use your PvE gear. WvW will give you XP & loot like PvE-land, so you can level up in there if you prefer. Its how I did my first character way back then. PvP uses different gear entirely. All the stats come from the amulets, everyone is equal, etc. Its a good place to mess around with builds and preview a class even if you aren't into PvP.

Metabattle.com is basically GW2's PvX wiki, although a bit less useful imo.

Wait, there's ectoplasm in this game? Oh Balthazar. Don't tell me i have to farm them to get GW2 version of Obsidian Armor..... I never got a piece in GW1. I traded all my ectos for a Collosall Scimitar. :(

Wait, there's ectoplasm in this game? Oh Balthazar. Don't tell me i have to farm them to get GW2 version of Obsidian Armor..... I never got a piece in GW1. I traded all my ectos for a Collosall Scimitar. :(
Ectoplasm is used for a wide range of things at level 80. Don't worry too much, it's fairly easy to acquire once you hit 80.

Callunah

Neo Member
Invite sent...

Welcome to GAF! be sure to pres "g" and accept from the guild pane!

Ill Raise Ur Bones.

I have a cheesy naming system for my characters. The verb is the only thing that changes by class. I'll Slash..... Heal (When there was a monk.)

It's cheesy but easy to keep track of.

Xanathus

Oh god I uninstalled the game several months ago shortly after the expansion came out (because I didn't want to buy it) but now I have to reinstall it for SAB. Hope I haven't been kicked out of the guild yet.

Xion385

For a low lever player like me, is it worth buying Hearts of Thorns already and is there a cheap place to buy it or you can only get it from the official website?

Ectoplasm is used for a wide range of things at level 80. Don't worry too much, it's fairly easy to acquire once you hit 80.

giphy.gif

For a low lever player like me, is it worth buying Hearts of Thorns already and is there a cheap place to buy it or you can only get it from the official website?

giphy.gif

The new zones are level 80 and you can't unlock the elite specialization tracks for each class until you master all the cores skills and traits which requires you to hit level 80 to obtain enough points to max them out. This being the case, it'd make sense for you to play the core game first and get a toon to 80 and see how much you like the game. Consider it a big free trial. You might want to look up the elite specializations, watch some videos of their skills to help you determine what class you want and if you think you'll covet HoT for them. Gliding is another awesome perk of HoT so you might get jealous seeing people glide around Central Tyria ha I do believe it worth looking up the Elite Spec as they can really shake up and address the weakness' of a class making them great when they might not have been worth playing before. For instance, Necromancer was considered bottom tier before HoT but it's elite specialization, Reaper is awesome and a lot of fun to play.

As for SAB coming back.....FINALLY! Although I was quite disappointed that there are no new worlds AND it's only here for a short while but this was largely made up for later in the day when they said it'd become an annual festival. Hopefully they'll have World 3 for next year's... Kinda wish you could play this all year round though but better than nothing! I still have a bunch of baubles and such in my bank as I knew it'd come back one day.

Xion385

The new zones are level 80 and you can't unlock the elite specialization tracks for each class until you master all the cores skills and traits which requires you to hit level 80 to obtain enough points to max them out. This being the case, it'd make sense for you to play the core game first and get a toon to 80 and see how much you like the game. Consider it a big free trial. You might want to look up the elite specializations, watch some videos of their skills to help you determine what class you want and if you think you'll covet HoT for them. Gliding is another awesome perk of HoT so you might get jealous seeing people glide around Central Tyria ha I do believe it worth looking up the Elite Spec as they can really shake up and address the weakness' of a class making them great when they might not have been worth playing before. For instance, Necromancer was considered bottom tier before HoT but it's elite specialization, Reaper is awesome and a lot of fun to play.

Necros are bottom tier? I weep... I'm guessing Elementalist are still kings on top tier.

Hedge

If no new world in SAB, how do you get the orange weapon skins?

Also I just trashed all my baubles and coins two months ago. :(

Necros are bottom tier? I weep... I'm guessing Elementalist are still kings on top tier.

They got an update just before HoT apparently that made them better so they shouldn't be bad, and honestly in PvE you can play how you want, any class and you shouldn't have issues outside of the Raid of course which is the highest end game content and high level fractals which serve as the games current dungeon role. So if you dig Necros, go ahead and select one and have fun with the great news being that if you dig the game and buy HoT later, the Necro elite spec is awesome and one of the more fun to play.

Typically people really only bother grading classes in tiers for PvP but yes, Eles are really strong. Again though, every class is strong and can be fun in PvE, it's more what flavor do you enjoy more? You can worry about the strongest builds and DPS when and if you decide to tackle the games most challenging content.

Pre-hot, they were not great at most pve. Minions used to be aoe fodder, party support is lackluster, and their damage was relatively low. Necros thrived on conditions and boon stripping.

Reaper gave necro a high powered melee option. Basic shroud attack is quick, and when traited to apply burning the damage stacks up.

Xion385

They got an update just before HoT apparently that made them better so they shouldn't be bad, and honestly in PvE you can play how you want, any class and you shouldn't have issues outside of the Raid of course which is the highest end game content and high level fractals which serve as the games current dungeon role. So if you dig Necros, go ahead and select one and have fun with the great news being that if you dig the game and buy HoT later, the Necro elite spec is awesome and one of the more fun to play.

Typically people really only bother grading classes in tiers for PvP but yes, Eles are really strong. Again though, every class is strong and can be fun in PvE, it's more what flavor do you enjoy more? You can worry about the strongest builds and DPS when and if you decide to tackle the games most challenging content.

Pre-hot, they were not great at most pve. Minions used to be aoe fodder, party support is lackluster, and their damage was relatively low. Necros thrived on conditions and boon stripping.

Reaper gave necro a high powered melee option. Basic shroud attack is quick, and when traited to apply burning the damage stacks up.
I guess I'll make an Elementalist for now until I get a hang of the game. You guys were right about this being an entirely new game. Zones aren't instanced. My companions aren't there anymore. But I'm loving it so far. I think I'm mostly likely going to buy HoT. This is the new MMO I'm going to lose my time to now.

I still geek out over just locations that were in GW1 like Lion's Arch. Now time to refresh my memory on the lore of GW1. Because there were a couple of sleeping dragons that I remember.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Argh, sometimes my screen would randomly freeze and put me in some blue watery world while playing SAB.

Is there a reason why baubles and bauble bubbles aren't currency in the wallet
That's a DAMN fine question. I've wasted slots to store them for literally years ;p
I guess I'll make an Elementalist for now until I get a hang of the game. You guys were right about this being an entirely new game. Zones aren't instanced. My companions aren't there anymore. But I'm loving it so far. I think I'm mostly likely going to buy HoT. This is the new MMO I'm going to lose my time to now.

I still geek out over just locations that were in GW1 like Lion's Arch. Now time to refresh my memory on the lore of GW1. Because there were a couple of sleeping dragons that I remember.
Haha whatever you like but I promise you can manage with a Necro or any other class. I'd rather see you abandon a class because you didn't like how it played in this game than because you're concerned it won't be strong. You're sharing my experience at launch, the closest thing I played to an MMO before GW2 was GW1 so this was my first and still only, persistent world, true MMO. It's awesome just exploring and discovering hidden areas and easter eggs ANET embedded in the game your first time through and hopefully you'll encounter plenty of positive experiences with the community. The hardcore cutthroats are mostly roaming the Raid so just running around zones doing events should be a positive and fun experience. Anyway, did you join the GAF guild yet? If you see a player name that starts with "Squalls", that's me and you can feel free to hit me up with questions or to play with you in-game.
SAB gets removed tomorrow. APRIL FOOLS

Cold bloooooooded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom