• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the people that got to play for 6-7 hours: what's your opinion on the game so far?

Better than it was in beta, as many, many thing I were annoyed by have been changed. (Guardians no longer die in 3 hits, for one...) Event scaling doesn't seem to be putting level 7-9 mobs in level 4-5 events anymore, performance is better, and the game still looks really pretty. The global name thing does mean that my first several choices for names were gone when I tried to log in at 12:05 EDT, however.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty crazy how fast those character names went last night, I got my mains name but after I went to create alts every name I tried was taken and these were names I got in Warcraft years after release with no problems.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Pretty crazy how fast those character names went last night, I got my mains name but after I went to create alts every name I tried was taken and these were names I got in Warcraft years after release with no problems.

Names in WoW are server based though right? Whereas I think names are global in GW2. IIRC.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The whole naming biz thing reminds me of how like with Anarchy online for some ungodly reason there were a bunch of tits who were literally name squatting.

For some reason with that game over all the rest Ive played over (more like wasted time from my life) the years that one by far had the worst.

I still dont get why they dont just do a unique alphanumeric code that is tagged with the name itself, therefore allowing more than one of the same name on servers due to the actual data of character name is set by the alphanumeric code and not the actual name itself. Other games have done this and it works just fine. Though requires more work on the database side of things.

BearPawB

Banned
When did the servers go down? I went to bed at like 6ET.

Made it to lvl 11. Explored Rata Sum, was exploring lions arch. Completed my first jumping puzzle.

I loved it. It was a rough start with TONS of lag, but after about an hour it evened out. Disappointed to see that the servers are down :(

Pretty awesome. Lots to see and do. Plus like how questing works and the fact that everything is cooperative for the most part. So when others start jumping in to help fight back hordes of monsters everyone wins. Quite exciting stuff.
Seems like the bulk of exp comes from doing quests and exploring vs just mindlessly grinding with monsters so thats cool.
Overall granted this is a far different game from Diablo 3. This I can see myself pouring a lot of time into just due to the world itself. Also skills are very cool and classes feel quite different.

Glad to hear this (and the other opinions)! The fact that Diablo 3 didn't have any endgame whatsoever or anything that could keep me playing was kinda sad. So awesome that this came out in the summer as well. Lots of time!

Now please send me an e-mail to confirm my purchase, ArenaNet. And fix the servers. :(

timkunedo

I think mainly the starter areas are going to be huge clusters with so many people, but once you move on things should get less hectic. That's my only complaint from last night and it's really not too bad.

Styles

Those random events where everyone would bunch up and participate in was probably the highlight of the game for me. It was fun, hilarious and engaging. Loved it. I want more..

However, I chose a different server since Gaf's official one was full. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer my character asap.

PaulLFC

I can't seem to get the controller profile to work - I downloaded the GW2 Gamepad zip file, my wired 360 controller is connected, but when I run start.bat, I get a message about there being another instance of the Toggle script, and no matter whether I click yes or no to replace it, I just get a blank Xpadder window with no layouts or profiles.

Xpadder is running in Vista compatibility mode as specified in the readme, and it does seem to detect my 360 controller, it just doesn't show the image of it with the layout, or any profiles.

Can't believe someone took Debbie McGee. Seriously. My mate got Paul Daniels and went Elementalist, and I was going to go Debbie McGee and roll Mesmer. Gutted.

You sir, win.

They are hard at work trying to get this resolved. I'm astounded at how pissed off people are getting over this.

Well, they've been pretty mellow around here. Or do you mean on other forums?

I'm taking it easy. Part of me still can't believe GW2 has actually launched, and I'm used to fight off the withdrawal after so many beta tests, so I'm good for now.

Parakeetman

I think mainly the starter areas are going to be huge clusters with so many people, but once you move on things should get less hectic. That's my only complaint from last night and it's really not too bad.

Thank god for starting areas being crowded, though apparently the viking looking folks are getting no love lol. Hardly anyone there. But other places oh man when those dynamic quests happen and a shitload of badguys come running & screaming at you thank god for all the other nublets crowding around waiting to get a piece of the action. haha always easy to find someone to go and scoop up your remains and put you back right up too! Nice getting exp for doing that for others also.

Thank god for starting areas being crowded, though apparently the viking looking folks are getting no love lol. Hardly anyone there. But other places oh man when those dynamic quests happen and a shitload of badguys come running & screaming at you thank god for all the other nublets crowding around waiting to get a piece of the action. haha always easy to find someone to go and scoop up your remains and put you back right up too! Nice getting exp for doing that for others also.

Weird, on my server the Norn zone is packed. My gf rolled a norn so I have my human over there leveling in the zone with her and the meta event popped twice in the time we got to play.

I can't seem to get the controller profile to work - I downloaded the GW2 Gamepad zip file, my wired 360 controller is connected, but when I run start.bat, I get a message about there being another instance of the Toggle script

That's almost certainly because AutoHotkey (the other progam START.BAT launches) is already running, indeed. It's the H in a green box on the notification area.

, and no matter whether I click yes or no to replace it, I just get a blank Xpadder window with no layouts or profiles.

Xpadder is running in Vista compatibility mode as specified in the readme, and it does seem to detect my 360 controller, it just doesn't show the image of it with the layout, or any profiles.

Try to select it in the top left selection box, like Squall did. Do please tell me how it goes, as your input (from a clean "installation") is very useful to me for smoothing the process.

You know that if there wasn't a shitload of players in there, there wouldn't be a shitload of NPCs either, right?

Venfayth

So, while the servers are down, did anyone get any cool screenshots yesterday?

I did some farming

nZwQq.jpg

And met Chun-Li

Parakeetman

I think I might reroll as a Charr Guardian. For some reason me and the giant viking people are just not clicking. Already got a Charr thief though, but do love their zone. Plus like the guardian class since not only can I mix it up and ruin some shit, also can run support with adding defensive buffs to anyone around which I like. Though am tempted to create an engineer also just because making rome burn with a flamethrower looks just glorious.

Arksy

Everything about the Charr is amazing. Protecting the little cubs against those ghosts was fantastic!

Someone get me some Moa Jerky!

PaulLFC

That's almost certainly because AutoHotkey (the other progam START.BAT launches) is already running, indeed. It's the H in a green box on the notification area.

Try to select it in the top left selection box, like Squall did. Do please tell me how it goes, as your input (from a clean "installation") is very useful to me for smoothing the process.
Thanks, I tried those, unfortunately I got the same results - XPadder and AutoHotKey start, but the profiles don't load into XPadder (I can fix that by just double clicking the profiles, though).

Clicking on "Click "New" to create layout..." in XPadder pops up a settings window for "Controller (Xbox 360 For Windows)", so it seems that it does detect my controller, just doesn't show the controller image or the key bindings.

Should XPadder detect the profiles automatically? Because looking at the batch file, it seems to be working fine and doing what it says - launch XPadder, then launch AutoHotKey. Both of those start with no problems as far as I know.

Before it went down anyone else had issue with HoM? i didn't get the HoM portal stone...

If you don't get one you can just get one in Lions Arch.

1) In Lion's Arch, head northwest into Hooligan’s Route.
2) At the Undermarket Point of Interest, find the charr karma merchant named Scornheart.
3) View Scornheart’s offerings and, on the second panel, select the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone. The stone is available at no cost.
4) Use the Portal Stone to access the ruins of the Hall of Monuments.

rybrad

Did anyone else have horrible performance in cities? I have pretty decent hardware and no matter the detail settings I was getting 5 fps in some spots.

Maffis

Rolled a Necro. Seems to have very fun abilities. They're not very graphic but damn the sounds are awesome.

Also, with the Gem system I wouldn't be surprised if ArenaNet compensates everyone with a little free gems. Hopefully.

Parakeetman

Yep still no luck with the patch DL. Am guessing this will be a problem for a while. Unless they get some sort of p2p patch deal going on like what bliz did with wow.

f5.gif

Not exactly but you folks get the picture lol

J0dy77

The one thing I noticed last night was that they have zone queuing. Not exactly sure how it works but it seems as if too many people are in server zone you get sent to another version of the zone somewhere else. I think they're using this tech to avoid tons of lag on the main server and still allowing people to play. Once your turn in the queue goes up you have the option to join the real zone. Brilliant idea and you don't even notice the difference when you change zones.

The game really ran amazing. I can't believe the level of details with 20+ people killing mobs and not even a hitch for my i3 processor and HD 6950.

If they get these login errors fixed and the zone tech works properly this might be the smoothest MMO launch ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom