• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferga

I was playing for a few hours then noticed that I no longer existed anymore. I had no guild, could not see any chat, no speech bubbles, couldn't join parties and people couldn't send me things.

It was a weird experience playing the game with little to no communication other than dancing.

Ricker

This can not be compared to D3 launch. GW2 worked for many hours without much hassle. Very smooth pre-launch. Gives them lots of data for the official launch on Tuesday.

Yeah,we could almost consider this weekend headstart as BWE 4 ;P ;) except are guys are for real now ;)

zon

At least I got to play for 5 hours before it went down.

Are there any EU players who are still logged in and playing?

Played last night for good 3:30 hours went to sleep and now whenever I load the client it just says "cannot connect due to network problems" won't even let me enter username and password.

I should have just let the game running while I slept. I'm in NA too. Everything I read online seems to be about EU.

mik83kuu

Banned
The initial launch was smooth as butter and started the very minute we all hoped it would. I'm impatient and mad but I can wait a few hours to play again :)

Only problem I have with how this is handled is I'm surprised the launcher isn't using a P2P system for the file transfers. I mean with all of us trying to download the patches we should be getting max speeds but instead we get no connection at all or very slow speeds when we are connected.

Spookie

Audίoboxer;41394252 said:
This is still disappointing though, AreaNet done many stress tests.

EVERYTHING is down though it appears to be an external ISP issue, something you can't prep for. They have lost their website and even the GW1 login servers are down.

Rad-

Played last night for good 3:30 hours went to sleep and now whenever I load the client it just says "cannot connect due to network problems" won't even let me enter username and password.

I should have just let the game running while I slept. I'm in NA too. Everything I read online seems to be about EU.

NA is down too...

Hoplatee

EVERYTHING is down though it appears to be an external ISP issue, something you can't prep for. They have lost their website and even the GW1 login servers are down.

Welp. Hope that does not will give me problems with billing and stuff since I bought the game from their store around 30 minutes ago.

That wouldn't helped, everybody got kicked.

That sounds like more than a launch problem with an overwhelming amount of connections. Hopefully they did not get DDOSed or hacked.

You should enter the key that just came with your Box,that is the new one...you have 5 days after the 28th to enter it though so it's no rush,their servers and website are in some sort of repair status right now so I would wait till early next week...

Thanks, so I can enter the key even though I've already entered the 3-day pass one? I'm pretty sure I read that you just state you already have an account when registering. Can't remember where though. I'll prob wait until Monday to enter it assuming all is well.

edit - Sorry. I realise that the pass key is only temp. Damn whiskey.

Dunlop

fawk,

My day was so slammed today that I was not supposed to have time to play. My wife took the kids to let me sleep in giving me about 2 hours

Wah!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Connection error trying to download that patch. To be expected on a launch day for this sort of game though, so I'm not upset.

BrettWeir

Connection error trying to download that patch. To be expected on a launch day for this sort of game though, so I'm not upset.

You sir, win.

They are hard at work trying to get this resolved. I'm astounded at how pissed off people are getting over this.

Ironic as I just got the email from Anet about how I am invited to the 3 day head start and can play right now.

It was a fantastic 7 hours though.

Dunlop

lol, was telling my buddies how shocked I was when the games launched at midnight on the nose (est) and aside from longer loading screens I had zero lag.

Jinxed myself

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im really surprised that most of you folks seem surprised that this happened. Considering most MMO type of games launches are usually "unplayable" to some level for a while. Though will be interesting to see what happens when the real launch goes live.

With luck though this early access is allowing them to bolster the defenses in prep for the real horde to flood the gates.

Everyone getting something like this?
l6qkL.jpg

jupiter.jazz

Neo Member
Managed to log in at 5:07am BST and make two characters (even then two other names I liked were already taken :eek: ) and potter around for half an hour before going to sleep. It was running fine then but teething problems are to be expected. Can only imagine the state the developers are in at the moment watching their servers catch fire for the last 9 hours.

Wow, I derped real hard. I was going to say it's blank and the whole xpadder screen was just all blank grey but then I noted your pic says xbox 360 in that left bar. I tried the open option before, but didn't actually select the controller and open. This was because I noted that the controls were listed when I clicked that block I mentioned before and it was showing a 360 controller icon in the left block so I thought it was already being applied. Derp indeed. My Xpadder now looks like the screen shot you showed me so hopefully it will work fine when GW2 comes back up. I'm so unfamiliar with this type of thing so it was a learning curve, thanks for your patience. It also explains why I couldn't figure out what you were talking about concerning arrows in your instructions for speeding up the R control stick camera turns. Now I should hopefully be set.

Actually, it's not your fault at all. I theoretically prepared the bundle so that you did not need to select your controller (there was a configuration file attached that should have loaded it automatically), so if it actually didn't select it on your end, that means I probably messed up somewhere or didn't foresee something. In other words, it's my fault, actually, and you're doing me a favor for reporting the issue.

Has anyone else that has downloaded the bundle, have had to manually select the gamepad? If you did, did you need to change anything else? If it's just selecting that, I can just add that step to the instructions. :)

PaulLFC

Still a bit confused about the keys - I got emailed an early access code, which I used on the registration site and made an account - I'm assuming this will let me play once the servers are back up.

But where/when do I enter my actual game serial code that's inside the box? Will it pop up asking for the code in 3 days, or do I have to enter it somewhere after the head start is over?

mik83kuu

Banned
Yes. Im getting so tierd of multiplayer game launches. Just start making good single player games instead.

So a few hours or days of troubles is too much for what will be years of solid service? I'm glad you are not in charge of anything video game related.

daebo

are some of the other errors talking about a firewall or something? I'm getting that one right now which is weird considering I played for a few hours last night before crashing and going to bed.

At least I was able to make all eight of my characters on 08/24, buy my cash shop items, get my HoM items and titles, and play my main for a few hours. I guess I'll go make breakfast and take care of my body.

Parakeetman

And I thought that was the point of the Weekends and Stress Tests.

Whats fascinating about that is never seems to be the same with stress test vs when things actually go live for some reason. Which is even more odd when games have an open stress test, yet things still go pear shaped once it goes live.

SalomonA

I never really figured out how to use the miniature rytlock pet. Anyone? I just put it in my inventory and double clicked, and nothing.

timkunedo

yeah everyone should have totally expected some server issues here and there. No big folks. Anyway I had an amazing time last night. Got in about 2 solid hours. blown away. Love this game forever.

So the head start will become meaningless since we'll probably won't be able to play for hours...

Connection issues are expected, your servers going KO after 3 betas and numerous stress tests is dissapointing. Definetly not a good start, whatever is D3, WoW or any other online game.

mik83kuu

Banned
To the people that got to play for 6-7 hours: what's your opinion on the game so far?

It ran smooth as butter and all the new stuff I experienced was a blast! I never leveled past 4 in the stress tests so it's all new for me. Still can't get my head around the fact that my big burly Norn Guardian can just shoot colorful balls at targets and with a flick of a button start mashing them with a huge ass hammer. I knew it in theory going in, but in practice it's just so fucking awesome how they said fuck you to the typical classes from most MMORPGs.

Also I knew dodging will be important and I'm glad to see it's helpful even at low levels against PvE mobs.

Dunlop

To the people that got to play for 6-7 hours: what's your opinion on the game so far?

Ihad a blast because their was so many people, I was just running from public quest and picking up crafting nodes. Managed to snag all my names and was starting to go crosseyed by 4am

Aeana

The only way they could really upset me is if they did a wipe and started over and I lost my names. So as long as that doesn't happen, they can go ahead and take their time to fix stuff.

Parakeetman

Pretty awesome. Lots to see and do. Plus like how questing works and the fact that everything is cooperative for the most part. So when others start jumping in to help fight back hordes of monsters everyone wins. Quite exciting stuff.
Seems like the bulk of exp comes from doing quests and exploring vs just mindlessly grinding with monsters so thats cool.
Overall granted this is a far different game from Diablo 3. This I can see myself pouring a lot of time into just due to the world itself. Also skills are very cool and classes feel quite different.

Complistic

Got to level 5 on my guardian before practically falling asleep. So great though. I wasn't getting any lag at all. Once they get this logging in stuff sorted it's going to be pretty smooth sailing if last night was any indicator.

mik83kuu

Banned
Ihad a blast because their was so many people, I was just running from public quest and picking up crafting nodes. Managed to snag all my names and was starting to go crosseyed by 4am

Haha yea some of the events were a zerg fest :-D Even with all the effects it ran really fucking smooth :)

The only way they could really upset me is if they did a wipe and started over and I lost my names. So as long as that doesn't happen, they can go ahead and take their time to fix stuff.

I'm pretty sure this can't affect their databases so don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom