• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiablo

I'm almost ready to buy it... but for people who've played it. Lets go negative for a second. Give me the bad / worry spots for this game. Is there anything that sticks out for you? Or is it all "OMG OMG 10/10"?

Because the majority of the content is dynamic, it feels like you don't have a lot of structure or goals. If you like the way EVE Online handles things, you'll love Guild Wars 2. You are going to be wandering around, exploring the world, and stumbling upon quests and things to do. This is drastically different than the crumb trail that most MMO's use to guide you where you should be.

Some classes feel really strange in regards to their skill set. The Elementalist has 20 primary skills up front at her disposal (4 disciplines x 5 skills) where a poorly built Engineer will only have 5. There also doesn't feel like there's anywhere to grow because the primary skills you are going to be using throughout your character's life are the same ones you got at the beginning of the game. Compared to WoW where you start with one or two abilities and eventually have over 50 abilities to chose from, GW2 seems very limited.

To me, in WvW it does not feel like you are doing a lot of damage. I played an AoE engineer and it felt like I wasn't contributing anything other than 300 damage here and there. Compared to the Eelementalists who were doing 6000 damage to anyone who got anywhere near them. This may have just been how I was playing, but it seems like there are some classes that are very overpowered in WvW because of the zerg-like nature of WvW.

Again, this is probably because of my limited playtime, but it seems like most classes are AoE based, there's a very small amount of single-target, high-damage specs.

We've seen up to level 30, we have no idea what the end-game is like. It's possible that there is a huge amount of content, or absolutely none. We won't know until post-launch.

Cystm

That Guild Wars 2 manifesto is really great. You can tell these guys are not just passionate about making their game for themselves, but for fans of the genre and the untapped fans looking for something new and innovative.

Very impressed by this game.

Gueras

Banned
I think the problem with all MMO's is like neither one is so complete like Wow was at launch.

I mean no other MMO game have so many stuff like WOW...

GW2 is gonna be great but far from be complete like Wow.

inky

We've seen up to level 30, we have no idea what the end-game is like. It's possible that there is a huge amount of content, or absolutely none. We won't know until post-launch.

OK, I think this is one of the things we have to shake out completely from our minds before people get the wrong idea.

Going to lvl 80 is not the endgame and will never be. You'll get there, but it won't suddenly open the "high tier" stuff to get or do. The real endgame content is scattered all over the place: Dynamic events, dungeons, WvW, PvP, and special events (the ones similar to open raids) are all the end-game content. You are supposed to (or be able to) do all these things, regardless of level.

Sorry for the obnoxious emphasis, but it has to be repeated until everyone understands how it works. There is more content as you go on of course, but "late game" stuff will not be the thing you are striving for. Ever.

I think the problem with all MMO's is like neither one is so complete like Wow was at launch.

What do you mean and can you give more information?? You do realize GW2 does not have the lifespan of WoW...and I personally don't want to turn this thread into a GW2 versus WoW debate again.

cFzV8.jpg

LeCapitan

Neo Member

From what I have seen in BWE3, you should not be worried :\

chiablo

OK, I think this is one of the things we have to shake out completely from our minds before people get the wrong idea.

Going to lvl 80 is not the endgame and will never be. You'll get there, but it won't suddenly open the "high tier" stuff to get or do. The real endgame content is scattered all over the place: Dynamic events, dungeons, WvW, PvP, and special events (the ones similar to open raids) are all the end-game content.

Sorry for the obnoxious emphasis, but it has to be repeated until everyone understands how it works. There is more content as you go on, but it will not be the thing you are striving for.

That's going to confuse a lot of people and we're probably going to see a lot of complaints in the next few weeks as people beeline straight for level 80 and ask "now what?"

Going to lvl 80 is not the endgame and will never be. You'll get there, but it won't suddenly open the "high tier" stuff to get or do. The real endgame content is scattered all over the place: Dynamic events, dungeons, WvW, PvP, and special events (the ones similar to open raids) are all the end-game content. You are supposed to do all these things, regardless of level.

Sorry for the obnoxious emphasis, but it has to be repeated until everyone understands how it works. There is more content as you go on of course, but "late game" stuff will not be the thing you are striving for. Ever.

I think it's simpler to say the truth, and that there is no endgame. You play the game as you want, there is no end point or endgame that you strive for. Endgame didn't really become a major thing till WoW and that was all about max level raiding progression. GW2 doesn't have endgame design

Kimaka

A friend of mine had that same issue, though I didn't and a friend of mine didn't either.

I'd suggest running a repair.

Go to your game shortcut and add -repair to the end. It would look like this:

"C:\GW2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -repair

Alright, I'll test this out.

I'm almost ready to buy it... but for people who've played it. Lets go negative for a second. Give me the bad / worry spots for this game. Is there anything that sticks out for you? Or is it all "OMG OMG 10/10"?

-Don't care for the downed state.
-I'm worried about the higher levels since we haven't seen them yet.
-The cities feel empty since they are so huge but this may get better at release.
-Norn women aren't as big/muscular as the men. I wanted at least one she-hulk option or like the one to the right.

Ferrio

Banned
That's going to confuse a lot of people and we're probably going to see a lot of complaints in the next few weeks as people beeline straight for level 80 and ask "now what?"

Yep. Lot of people will go into this game with the wrong expectations on what guild wars is trying to be.

Jira

Bit of info on the retail disc installs.

The fresh install is ~13gb it then downloads 60k files, waiting on the final numbers from a guy on Reddit.

WoW felt complete at launch? You also clearly didn't do any research on this game.

I don't mind a discussion about WoW and Guild Wars but it usually ends up not being a 'discussion' and more people just ranting about how 'theirs' is the best.

We had some pretty good discussions about raids and group dynamics in the pre-launch thread (IMO) but I don't think an OT is the place for that unless somebody asks for an opinion in relation to WoW and game structure and such.

Yep. Lot of people will go into this game with the wrong expectations on what guild wars is trying to be.

I know it's going to be tough for myself too. Leveling up = 'more better stuff' has been engraved into my psyche. While I'm glad that sPVP opens up all skills and such I really want to level up and learn to play with those skills as I slowly attain them. I think one of the best things MMO's do is slowly train you in a particular class and from what I played in the BWE's GW2 is no different.

I'm so new to the GW gameplay that it will take baby steps for me to learn. But at least I'm not thinking in the back of my mind "80 is the goal" when I can play the game at my own pace and enjoy everything from the outset.

Klyka

Banned

And they'll leave and we won't care cause we are having too much fun, while Arena.Net got their money already.
So who cares?
Just enjoy the game and don't care about this kind of stuff.

chiablo

I think it's simpler to say the truth, and that there is no endgame. You play the game as you want, there is no end point or endgame that you strive for. Endgame didn't really become a major thing till WoW and that was all about max level raiding progression. GW2 doesn't have endgame design

Raiding in Everquest was huge. Killing the Gods in the various planes was what drove the end-game of EQ. The difference between EQ and WoW is that there wasn't a set level that you had to be in order to participate, and there was no limit to the number of people contributing due to the non-instanced nature.

I'm hoping that the huge boss battles in GW2 are similar in scale and nature to what we saw in EQ.

inky

I agree, but I just don't want people to imagine a scenario in which you get to 80 and suddenly there's nothing more to do, or to wonder where's the LFG channel for repeatable content until the expansion comes out. The game will always be open for you to go back and do stuff, and being level 80 for this should be inconsequential (except that you'll probably have more skills and traits available than you did before, of course).

And they'll leave and we won't care cause we are having too much fun, while Arena.Net got their money already.
So who cares?

Well, we all want the game to be healthy and succeed don't we.

Ferrio

Banned
So who cares?

I don't really, but negative reaction to an mmo (even if unfounded) isn't good.

I don't mind a discussion about WoW and Guild Wars but it usually ends up not being a 'discussion' and more people just ranting about how 'theirs' is the best.

We had some pretty good discussions about raids and group dynamics in the pre-launch thread (IMO) but I don't think an OT is the place for that unless somebody asks for an opinion in relation to WoW and game structure and such.

I know it's going to be tough for myself too. Leveling up = 'more better stuff' has been engraved into my psyche. While I'm glad that sPVP opens up all skills and such I really want to level up and learn to play with those skills as I slowly attain them. I think one of the best things MMO's do is slowly train you in a particular class and from what I played in the BWE's GW2 is no different.

I'm so new to the GW gameplay that it will take baby steps for me to learn. But at least I'm not thinking in the back of my mind "80 is the goal" when I can play the game at my own pace and enjoy everything from the outset.

To be honest I'm pretty sure there will be level 80 content being added on, if there isn't some already. People will be demanding it and I personally won't see that as a bad thing. Its more stuff to do. It is possible that is what the expansion packs are for.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I honestly was completely floored by the game. I think it's one of the coolest games I've ever played. WvW by itself is good enough to be a full game IMO. But then they tack on this crazy beautiful world, these awesome quests, and a full-fledged customizable singleplayer storyline? OH AND BY THE WAY it has a full PVP segment? It's too much.

To be honest I'm pretty sure there will be level 80 content being added on, if there isn't some already. People will be demanding it and I personally won't see that as a bad thing. Its more stuff to do. It is possible that is what the expansion packs are for.

I imagine this is the case. It's what they did for Guild Wars 1.

inky

To be honest I'm pretty sure there will be level 80 content being added on, if there isn't some already. People will be demanding it and I personally won't see that as a bad thing. Its more stuff to do.

They said they would be adding events everywhere, not only at max level, even before expansions come out. The beauty of it is even if you are level 30, 55, 67 or 80 you can go to a level 15 zone with a new event and do it, and it will still be a challenge and will give you a reward. Adding only level 80 new stuff would set a bad example, and ANET are smarter than that.

They said they would be adding events everywhere, not only at max level. The beauty of it is even if you are level 30, 55, 67 or 80 you can go to a level 15 zone with a new event and do it, and it will still be a challenge and will give you a reward.

What type of reward? Like how would you compensate a lvl 80 that does a new event? He wouldn't be getting any experience so does that mean he simply gets more gold/rep?

I don't really care if they add stuff for everyone but I think that lvl 80s shuold have other ways to "progress" outside of leveling. Maybe cool looking gear or something for doing certain difficult dungeons that can be done at 80, I dunno.

Gueras

Banned
What do you mean and can you give more information?? You do realize GW2 does not have the lifespan of WoW...and I personally don't want to turn this thread into a GW2 versus WoW debate again.

I don't want make this debate and I'm not saying WOW is better, I ve bought GW2 cuz i can't play WOW anymore and I think the concepts from GW2 are great, BUT I was expecting more stuff like more dungeons... more things focused on PVE, I really don't like PVP...

inky

What type of reward? Like how would you compensate a lvl 80 that does a new event? He wouldn't be getting any experience so does that mean he simply gets more gold/rep?

And appropriate level items could drop for you too. There's usually chests at the end of some events.

ACE 1991

They said they would be adding events everywhere, not only at max level. The beauty of it is even if you are level 30, 55, 67 or 80 you can go to a level 15 zone with a new event and do it, and it will still be a challenge and will give you a reward. Adding only level 80 new stuff would set a bad example, and ANET are smarter than that.

This is the part I'm not entirely sold on.. All the dynamic events I've participated in thus far far too easy and require no coordination or teamwork. I'm hoping this is just because it's early content.

Emitan

So who cares?

Anet probably needs people to spend money on the gem shop to keep it going.

Jack_AG

Banned

Having played WoW from 1 closed and 2 open betas, launch and until "finishing" Cata... only playing 2 BWEs and stress tests of GW2... you have not played WoW or GW2 I take it o_O

And not as much content as WoW's launch? Yep - you never played WoW.

Edit: now take the WoW talk out of the OT, please.

I don't really care if they add stuff for everyone but I think that lvl 80s shuold have other ways to "progress" outside of leveling. Maybe cool looking gear or something for doing certain difficult dungeons that can be done at 80, I dunno.

You do get XP even after you hit level 80. Each time you "level up" after level 80 you'll gain a skill point.

You'll need these skillpoints if you want to get a Legendary Weapon Skin.

Jack_AG

Banned
This is the part I'm not entirely sold on.. All the dynamic events I've participated in thus far far too easy and require no coordination or teamwork. I'm hoping this is just because it's early content.
Its been stated plenty in the old thread. Content was too difficult during the first BWE so ANet toned it down a few hundred notches to what it is now. Not going to be like that after starter zones.

-Downed state. I just hate it, but many love it. Meh

I was honestly kind of meh on the whole idea. It seemed kind of pointless at first. But when I see the strategy that goes on in sPvP and the whole "this was a 1v2 and is now a 2v2" aspect of the game I'm now fully converted over to the dark side.

You do get XP even after you hit level 80. Each time you "level up" after level 80 you'll gain a skill point.

You'll need these skillpoints if you want to get a Legendary Weapon Skin.

Ok, as long as they are providing incentives like this. I'm just worried they think that lvl 80s will go and do lvl 15 dynamic events in the world solely because its "fun" and without any incentives. People that play MMOs generally don't think like that and demand something to work towards.

There are three lv80 dungeons with hard mode without healing/tanking so I think that will help players who love PvE.

And each dungeon has three paths, and there are supposed to be some kind of dynamic/randomized events that can occur within each dungeon, so each play through will (potentially) be a little different from the last.

inky

Yeah, I can agree with this. Some of the biggest battles I've seen from videos prior to the BWEs required more coordination, and had more steps to be followed. I think teamwork is going to be there, but of course playing with randoms is no guarantee that it will happen successfully.

I still found some level stuff challenging tho, simply because your health pool was lower, but I admit much of the balancing was off.

Ok, as long as they are providing incentives like this. I'm just worried they think that lvl 80s will go and do lvl 15 dynamic events in the world solely because its "fun" and without any incentives. People that play MMOs generally don't think like that and demand something to work towards.

There will be things to work towards to (mainly special sets and cosmetics to transmute) but I understand what you say. It will all depend on what each one wants from the game, but to me doing new areas with new events even if they are lower levels is a good incentive. Like others have pointed out, there's always the dungeons if you really want that small group closed off repeatable experience.

I don't know whether you saw my post in the other thread but those skill points will also provide you with transmuation stones so you don't have to buy them with gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom