• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

I'm almost ready to buy it... but for people who've played it. Lets go negative for a second. Give me the bad / worry spots for this game. Is there anything that sticks out for you? Or is it all "OMG OMG 10/10"?

Vossler

Anybody know when Anet will announce if they will allow for early entry this friday? Also, after work I am stressing the hell out of this test....for the whole 45 min I'll be able to login, lulz.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I was wondering why no one was posting in the old thread lol. The OT looks great man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm almost ready to buy it... but for people who've played it. Lets go negative for a second. Give me the bad / worry spots for this game. Is there anything that sticks out for you? Or is it all "OMG OMG 10/10"?

I would say the worst part of the game is that it doesn't properly communicate "how" to play the game. If you approach the game like WoW, or attempt to just grind, you'll end up severely underleveled for content, and everything becomes far far harder.

You really have to step out of the MMO paradigm, and explore the game. You need to walk around and just...do stuff. Go mine some ore. Go do some platforming. Go in search of adventure. Jump into a lake and see what's down there.

All of that will contribute to your leveling far more than just going from renown heart to renown heart mechanically.

For more info, check out Hawkian's great post on the GAF Guild site, entitled "Seriously all these things get you XP"

Jira

I don't have any worry spots for the game as you put it, mine are more nitpicks like:

- No 5v5 Hot Join servers.
- A lack of a return to the front page button to the Trading Post. You have to make an extra click to get back.
- The loot items icon overlaps the minimap a bit
- No AoE looting.

Yeah that's about it, they already fixed any true gameplay issues I had in previous betas. For me personally it is one of the best designed games I've ever played or ever will play. Just buy the damn thing because you won't find anything better designed this year.

Ferny

Anybody know when Anet will announce if they will allow for early entry this friday? Also, after work I am stressing the hell out of this test....for the whole 45 min I'll be able to login, lulz.
Don't think that's something they will even announce. It will just be up if it is early.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't have any worry spots for the game as you put it, mine are more nitpicks like:

- No 5v5 Hot Join servers.
- A lack of a return to the front page of the Trading Post
- The loot items icon overlaps the minimap a bit

Yeah that's about it, they already fixed any true gameplay issues I had in previous betas. For me personally it is one of the best designed games I've ever played or ever will play. Just buy the damn thing because you won't find anything better designed this year.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the Trading Post in general, but it's a small gripe, since it does possess the ability to request items that are not available, which is a great feature.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I have about 5 hours. That is 3GB per hour, 50MB per minute, 850 KB per second

Not a chance, unless part of the files are compressed and it takes up 13GB when unpacked.

Interfectum

aight guys, thanks for the replies. now the question is where do I buy it. I can get it for cheap on GMG but it looks like no early access. :\

Jira

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the Trading Post in general, but it's a small gripe, since it does possess the ability to request items that are not available, which is a great feature.

Really? You actually WANT to sit in a city and spam crap to trade with people? GW1 is your game then.

The dynamic content really is not that dynamic, nor itself really interesting, it's just chains of generic MMO like quests for the most part.

Here is a few concerns of mine just to throw in there.

-Some areas events and hearts are just too spread out where they force you to go around aimlessly and roam for random things to happen when they should be rewarding this activity and not requiring to advance in some cases.
-Downed state. I just hate it, but many love it. Meh
-PvP needs more gametypes, it just seems very bland and short with the current conquest mode. PvP itself is great, the gametype just needs help.
-Over time weapon skills seemed to get more similar and seem like they have less distinctness. Each weapon seems to have a knockback, some type of condition builder, etc. I don't know if it was just overbalancing or what, but the weapons just seem too similar now.
-Social aspect. Even though it's easier than ever to play with random people, it seems less social. You just do the same things and help and never really say anything to eachother.
-WvW can be VERY confusing and overwhelming when jumping in and I still don't think they do a very good job of it being very new player friendly.

This all being said I still love the game and have tons of fun, these are just some complaints that have been building over the BWE's and stress tests. There is probably more small annoyances, but these just jump to mind.

Where can I buy this now to be able to be in the stress test without using a credit card? My amazon only has the normal edition without the beta access.

inky

The game only ran buttery smooth @ 60 fps once for me, and it was during BWE2 I think, when I logged in about 1 hour before it officially started. Optimization is indeed a problem, as is the CPU-boundness of the game. I don't have the best of cards out there (560 ti) but I know it is capable of a lot more than it was giving me.

I agree with most of the complaints here: no easing you into all the stuff you can do and how to do it, DEs aren't all that they could be, limited PvP modes, etc. And on top of that, awful cosmetics... there, I said it. I know that I sound like a broken record by now, but they seriously irk more than anything else in the game.

None of that has me a little bit worried though. I love this game and would recommend it 10 times over anything else in the same market right now.

Jira

Well the world map is huge, how I will explore the whole map? by foot? how I will travel from one city to another?

Waypoints, there's over 500 of them and they're everywhere. You simply bring up your map and click on what one you want to go to as long as you've uncovered it before. Generally speaking you really only use them if you're going somewhere for a specific reason. Otherwise get out there and explore.

LProtag

I'm still debating on this... mostly because I'm going to be so busy with school this year.

Anyone know how it runs on a rMBP by any chance?

Great OT. Pretty excited for the 25th. Quick question, can I just update my currently existing beta client or do I have to redownload the game again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom