• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

I'll be forever stuck in overflow. Are we at least able to play on our main WvW server in overflow?

Since this wasn't answered yet; overflow servers are done on a per area basis. So if you are in an overflow, and you move to a less crowded area, you will go to the main area since an overflow is unneeded.

If WvW is full (and that means full on all maps, since each of the 4 maps has their own player limit), you will not be able to play at all until a slot opens up. But that has nothing to do with the overflow servers really.

Edit: More on overflows. The reason everyone is in an overflow now, is because everyone (well most everyone) is still in the 1-15 areas right now. Once more people level up, and spread out to different areas, overflow servers will be less common.

Hey guys, so I decided to pre-purchase this, even though I'm heading in blind. Downloaded the client from the website, and launch it and it proceeds to begin to download the game. Unfortunately, it usually only pulls down a few megabytes or so then immediately crashes. Not sure if anyone has had this problem and can offer any tips or suggestions.

2.3 GHz Intel core i7
4GB DDR Ram
Intel HD 4000

Also is it normal for the downloader to even have a progress meter? Just lists how much it's downloaded and the speed. For a game this large, just seems kinda strange.

rybrad

Is there any way to randomize your characters appearance during creation? In MMOs I generally click random until I see something decent.

I'm pretty happy with the way my main came out (Mesmer).

diellegw2003girdz.jpg

Reknoc

Oh man that nostalgia hit when some of this music plays. Is there a new version of the best original track; Over the Shiverpeaks?

vaelic

Banned
any other G35 users have this issue with GW2?

After playing (and thoroughly enjoying) Guild Wars 2 since BWE1, I've been disturbed by something recently.

Specifically, my Logitech G35s, which work fine in every game I've tried and even used to be (mostly) fine in Guild Wars 2, have turned up issues. Specifically, whenever I turn them to 'surround sound mode' in Guild Wars 2, many sound effects/voiceovers gain a strange bass 'rumble' effect, as though they are clipping the speakers.

And, when set to 'stereo mode', all dialogue in the 'cinematic conversations' as well as personal story intros and numerous sound effects play through the right speaker only. The music is unaffected, however.

This strikes me as odd.
1) Why could it be happening?
2) Are any fellow G35 owners experiencing this in GW2?
3)Does anyone know of any workarounds that may fix either (or both) of these problems so I can enjoy GW2 to its fullest?

I have found one semi-workaround, which is to use the Windows 'speaker fill' enhancement (in audio properties) to force the sound into my speakers, however this comes at the cost of some strange audio volume/mixing issues.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So do any classes play somewhat similarly to how Dervish did back in GW1? I'm definitely considering this, but I'm not too learned on the classes.

Atomski

So, Stormbluff is our server? I suppose that is where I will be going. I hope my friend hasn't made his character yet on a different server while I was sleeping.
Every single one of my friends are on another server. They told me we should be able to play somehow though.. just not WVW. No idea how that works though.

inky

Took a bath, had breakfast with my family and got some chores done... Now I'm ready to jump back in all day long =D

Only made it to level 6 last night. I imagine crazy people are now like level 40 or something-

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not really, but the Guardian I guess would be the closest.

I miss dervs. :(

The way you had to manage buffs and when to "eat" your buffs for bonuses made that class such a treat to play. Necro and Guardian were the two I was looking at...Necro because of all the various debuff/DoT mechanics, and Guardian because of the Pally-style mechanics. I don't know though...

beanman25

Got to level 3 with a human thief then stopped. Having a nice time, but still a tad confused. How do I access my inventory (of items my character can't use?)

Also had issues with the xpadder 360 configurations. I could only move around, nothing more.

DJIzana

Surprised how full the servers are getting considering this is only the head start!

I imagine they have caps on population so they can manage the server load better though, that's probably why... that or they'll need to bring out more servers on the 28th, when it officially launches.

So far I'm loving it now and I'm loving the changes they made to the ranger. My pet doesn't die like instantly now! :D

rybrad

Got to level 3 with a human thief then stopped. Having a nice time, but still a tad confused. How do I access my inventory (of items my character can't use?)

Also had issues with the xpadder 360 configurations. I could only move around, nothing more.
Hit "i" to open your inventory.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
very nice OT. is it too late to buy it now and get early access? I didn't get into this game until I just now saw this thread

At this point, you'll only get access to the 1 day headstart.

There's one thing that annoys me to no end: the fact that I get seperated from party members when entering an overflow.

This sucks.

Did you right click on your party's portraits and click "Join In..."? That will take you to them.

The way you had to manage buffs and when to "eat" your buffs for bonuses made that class such a treat to play. Necro and Guardian were the two I was looking at...Necro because of all the various debuff/DoT mechanics, and Guardian because of the Pally-style mechanics. I don't know though...

The Guardian is pretty fun, so it wouldn't be a bad choice in any case.

Audίoboxer;41399521 said:
I choose Dwayna as a human, but on my skill tree it says Prayer to Kormir. Bug?

Nah, the choices you make just affect your personal story.

beanman25

Hit "i" to open your inventory.

Oh! I was hitting h and only seeing the armor and such. How did I not figure that out!

Also, mapped 1 & 5 to the side buttons on my mouse as they are my favorites so far.

Really like the game, but know I'll like it even more once I completely understand it.

There's one thing that annoys me to no end: the fact that I get seperated from party members when entering an overflow.

This sucks.

Completely agree. For a "social game" they sure made it very hard to play with your friends. Why are all the servers so full? They made too few of them.

Im enjoying the game very much right now but can someone answer me this because im a complete n00b to this game, what does it mean when they move me to an overflow? I assume its because the area I was suppose to go to was overcrowded but what exactly is different with the overflow server?

Im enjoying the game very much right now but can someone answer me this because im a complete n00b to this game, what does it mean when they move me to an overflow? I assume its because the area I was suppose to go to was overcrowded but what exactly is different with the overflow server?

Yep, its basically a different server so you can still play without having to sit in a queue.

Orayn

Overflow servers are what GW2 does instead of putting you in a queue. If a particular region in your home server is full, you go to that region's overflow until space opens up.

Ricker

It just prevents you to play the PvE with a friend properly,you stay in party but you dont see each other because you dont know which server you are on ;)...people say to click join and that's it but it doesn't work...seriously,thank god this game really doesn't need people playing in a party of 2 or 3 friends lets's say...

The overflow is my only gripe with this otherwise awesome game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Completely agree. For a "social game" they sure made it very hard to play with your friends. Why are all the servers so full? They made too few of them.

Right now, this issue is the result of a bug: the "Join In" feature seems to produce a network error most of the time.

This worked perfectly in the BWE2- if you were in a party and one member is in the overflow, you right click them and click "Join In." It was fast as hell, but it seems to be freaking out right now.

Obviously that's not how they intended it to work :p
It just prevents you to play the PvE with a friend properly,you stay in party but you dont see each other because you dont know which server you are on ;)...people say to click join and that's it but it doesn't work...seriously,thank god this game really doesn't need people playing in a party of 2 or 3 friends lets's say...

They'll fix it, for the moment you're best off just leaving town without being in a party and grouping up with your guys in the overflow server together.

Yep, its basically a different server so you can still play without having to sit in a queue.

Overflow servers are what GW2 does instead of putting you in a queue. If a particular region in your home server is full, you go to that region's overflow until space opens up.

Thanks guys I knew I could come to gaf with any questions I may have had. My friends just finished downloading the game and are in the process of making names . I hope it isn't too much of a pain i n the ass to group with them.

Plumpman

I don't really like any of the heart "quests" so far. They are extremely boring with not much to do, and not enough stuff spawns unless a dynamic event happens to spew dozens of mobs.

Other than that I'm loving it!

Westlo

ffs... tried to transfer to gafs server... it didn't do anything for like 10 mins, exited game and now I can't connect from login.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't really like any of the heart "quests" so far. They are extremely boring with not much to do, and not enough stuff spawns unless a dynamic event happens to spew dozens of mobs.

Hearts are pretty much what you do when you really have nothing to do, and don't want to go exploring. Don't rely on them for leveling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

If you go around looking for dynamic events, TONS of them fill in the heart in the area if you're doing it for the first time. It's kind of ingenious actually. You can just run around and fill them in but the game's not necessarily meant to be played so linearly.

KiteGr

Hearts exist mostly to drive you around the world and come across events.
As the devs said, you wont get enough xp to advance to the next area just by using those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom