• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Oh btw, how important is crafting/professions? I never liked it in mmos, felt like a job, hoping I dont have to do anything here

1. It's much more fun. As a summary, make a ton of basic components using copper ore, green logs, or what have you. Then go into the discovery panel and throw stuff together for massive amounts of experience.

2. It gets you massive amounts of experience. They've tuned it so that you can get from level 1-80 by just mastering all eight of the crafting professions; ten levels each.

3. You can completely ignore it. I plan to do that for my main character. Someone has to use the stuff people are making, instead of making more stuff people aren't using.

4. If the Trading Post was working...

Ken

Audίoboxer;41407970 said:
I think the blue flames from Guardian/Elementalists elements & Mesmers 'clones' look the flashiest.

How are Mesmers at PvE? I don't really plan to play PvP at all.

Sethos

Banned
Gotta love a good siege

itW0SCJ63x7Am.png

Loving this game to bits, however I'm not fond of the XP scrounging.

is anyone else finding the events/hearts to be really lackluster? I'm really early on, obviously (level 8 so in the first Norn 1-15 zone) but they just seem like huge clusterfucks with 50 people running around killing everything really quick, and even though they're not called quests, I've been collecting things for at least a third of them
The heart quests do feel grindy, definitely.

LogicStep

This game is gorgeous, I love the art style and the graphics. The graphics are so good and the textures, it really looks amazing. The animations are great and I'm really into the story etc. But the game mechanics, the menus, how everything works, it feels like it's so much to take in it makes me feel fatigue after a while of playing where I'm constantly trying to figure out something. Does anyone feel like this? I think it's going to take a long time for me to get used to the game and its quirks. Might have to only play for an hour or two and rest.

Yea. I think I would personally prefer a queue system. At least I would have my characters on the same server and can just wait it out.

What's the difference between that and doing the exact same thing while in the overflow server? Take it as a queue with a much more interesting "please wait" screen.

They eliminate the need to find a specific NPC to get and finish the quest. They're streamlining the process which is nice. Still the same kill so many of these things, collect this, or defend this, but without the hassle of beginning/ending the quest.

If you're talking about hearts, they indeed are not much different than quests; they're there so that people have some guarantee that content will be up. Well, with a huge difference; you get 3-5 tasks, so you can pick the ones you like most, or mix and match (there's also quite more variation than in most MMOs; some have you carrying food while evading hungry rabbits, or shooing hungry rabbits away from other players, or playing golem chess...).

If you're talking about events, however, I have to strongly disagree. For one, it's never "kill X, an arbitrary number, of these mobs that are continually respawning but doing pretty much nothing". The closest there's to that is "kill all of these mobs that have taken over this place". You then kill them, all of them, or at least most of them. They don't respawn continuously and magically, the ones you kill are dead for the duration of the event, and if any remain at all, they flee the zone. Follow them, by the way, and often they'll lead you to their lair; they don't despawn into thin air. I followed a pack of rampaging minotaurs all the way to a different subzone of the map I was on!

There's also the "protect me while I do this", "kill this one boss", etc, but for me, none felt so arbitrary as "kill 12 of these monsters"; you also feel the sense of purpose and connection so much more by having them have a direct result 90% of the time, be it another event or whatever. The NPC doesn't stay there for you to finish the quest chain when you please; he/she'll go ahead with or without you. Also, not having to talk to an NPC means that it's never "oh, you killed 12 of them before? too bad, you should have talked to me first".

Finally, most events have an impact on the world, but people are usually too busy looking for the next hear t or event to notice it. Heck, I did the "clean the lake of tar elementals" one a few times during the betas, and only today I've realized that the lake was murky and opaque before and it becomes crystalline clear when you finish.

At this point I'm not sure what people expect of a videogame. It seems there's a problem if a game is in any way suggesting the player to fight or kill stuff. Well, I WANT to fight; the battle system is very good and the game should play to its strengths.

Z3M0G

The heart quests feel like old-school quests, and not the scripted events I was expecting. I assume you find those by exploring elsewhere?

I have a bad feeling only 1% or less of the player base will experience the scripted npc interactions and all the voice acting in the game, outside of the main stories.

I don't have the game yet, but I played on my cousin's account to try it out. It's brilliant. I do have one question, though. What's the best way to get gear? I was still using the level 1 Greatsword at level 8 because I never found a way to get anything better, save random drops, which are pretty tough to rely on. My sword just looked so boring.

Violet_0

Banned
How are Mesmers at PvE? I don't really plan to play PvP at all.

complicated - illusions disappear when you kill the enemy mob, and your class ability sacrifices all active illusions for various effects, so you'll be spamming them a lot, they're very temporary. I suggest you get a greatsword as soon as possible. "4" on greatsword and pistol will be your best friends (ofc, you can use any weapon you want). You might want to start with Decoy (is it tier 1?) in your utility slot

Mr. Hyde

Are daggers or pistols better for a thief? I've never seen the idea of pistols being used on a stealth character. Interesting...

Einbroch

Banned
What is the process if you want to play a different class but want to be in the guild, but have a character already in the guild?

Mazre

What is the process if you want to play a different class but want to be in the guild, but have a character already in the guild?

Log in the new character, go to guild tab, click on the guild and then press the represent guild button. Guild membership is account based.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far, I feel the hearts system may be 'quests' under the hood, but the streamlining combined with generally better design and contextual setting is fine by me.

That is, if hearts are going to be content that is always available, it seems the designers went out of their way come up with stuff that's generally not transparent and stupid. There are thematic reasons why ongoing heart events are ongoing, or reset relatively soon. A video game is a video game, a lot of this comes down to presentation. Plus, as already observed, it's a big thing that you have many to choose from without managing a list or traveling in a line from one to the next. Or being forced to return to the same spot to turn in each time to perform a task.

Also take into account the idea of the 'quests' being ambient and everyone in the area is a part of it just by virtue of coming over. This already makes it not like WoW and WoW-esque games for me. As I was remarking to someone while in game, the ambiance of the world feels different because it's not small groups of players traveling from quest giver to quest giver across the zone, not interacting with one another or really cooperating. Things feel a lot more organic and alive since folks are free to bounce around the zone and take part in whatever, including helping out players who are doing stuff for the first time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah so i am in love with this game.

Weltall I'm making Gamepad magic happen over here, have something to show you soon

Violet_0

Banned
Up to lvl 11 on my Norn Ranger.

Dunno, Ranger seems kinda lame. :(

well, I'm only really interested in a support/spirit build (which won't really work before lvl 40, because of traits), but I enjoy the class quite a bit. I really like pet classes in general, and having a personal spirit army to accompany you is pretty cool and quite unique

I'm seriously getting sick of the axe though

Proven

well, I'm only really interested in a support/spirit build (which won't really work before lvl 40, because of traits), but I enjoy the class quite a bit. I really like pet classes in general, and having a personal spirit army to accompany you is pretty cool and quite unique

I'm seriously getting sick of the axe though
Axe is like the worst weapon on the Ranger, as far as I'm concerned. Both main hand and off hand. The main hand is used for a PvP Condition damage build though.

Sethos

Banned
So here's my End of Day 1 newbie perspective report of the game

I like

- Graphically it's really good looking
- Weapon based skills, being a warrior and can still be effective with ranged is just too good. Equip a rifle and you've got great single-target damage, equip a bow and you are an AoE god.
- Seems extremely active already
- PvP has a lot of potential, had so much fun tonight
- Fighting system, being able to dodge
- Dynamic level is great, even getting scaled down for low end areas
- Linear levelling system
- Soundtrack

What I like a bit less

- Global naming, that is a brainfart of epic dimensions
- XP gaining in general, feels like you are just scrounging XP by running around from event to event like a headless chicken. This is when you miss quests with a nice progressive flow. One second you are gaining half a level, next you can go 30-40 minutes and only get peanuts, very frustrating and feels like a lot of work.
- I'm afraid of losing interest quickly due to its very forward thinking system. While other MMOs may seem archaic in their way of putting a carrot in front of you, saving everything till higher levels ... I fear this game might just oversaturate me with everything the game has to offer before I even reach the top, only real carrot right now is getting badass armour.
- The 'heart' events are pretty boring, it's especially bad when some of them are done in 5 minutes and are a quick spell of fun, next it takes like 20 god damn minutes and the progress bar is barely moving, then when done you get some minuscule amount of XP ( This goes back to my second point about XP gaining ).

But overall there's potential, feels like a good version of WAR - Haven't played a game this focused in a long time.

Scum

Boourns! Just waiting to be a part for of GAF guild but I've just been booted of the server. :-/
I never took part in any beta, went in blind and I'm have a bit of fun trying to figure out my Mesmer skills. :D

Card Boy

Banned
SO HAS ANYONE WORKED OUT HOW TO GET THE DIGITAL DELUXE ITEMS BACK?

I feel i have asked way too many times and noone is answering. Making a new character only gives me a Heros Band and Golem Banker back.

I am missing my Miniature Rytlock, Chalice of Glory, Tome of Influence as it was on a character i accidentally deleted.

Guild War 2 Wikia is down, forums are down, support is down. I feel i have wasted $20 dollars for no reason. My brother did the same thing and so did other people on another forum i'm part of......

What a clusterfuck. I guess it's my fault is it when a item says account wide and is not any more clearer than that? /bonus and /bonusitems in GW1 gives your items back, why is there not a similar command in GW2?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
- Global naming, that is an brainfart of epic dimensions
Except for WvW, you can play with anyone on any server- what could they have done?
- XP gaining in general, feels like you are just scrounging XP by running around from event to event like a headless chicken. This is when you miss quests with a nice progressive flow. One second you are gaining half a level, next you can go 30-40 minutes and only get peanuts, very frustrating and feels like a lot of work.
I saw your post about this before and I just don't get it. EVERYTHING gives you XP. I'd love to group up with you sometime and see what's going on.
- I'm afraid of losing interest quickly due to its very forward thinking system. While other MMOs may seem archaic in their way of putting a carrot in front of you, saving everything till higher levels ... I fear this game might just oversaturate me with everything the game has to offer before I even reach the top, only real carrot right now is getting badass armour.
Wellll... at the moment you probably don't even have an elite skill unlocked, right? Trust me, it changes the game. That's a carrot. But otherwise, I hope this is one complaint they don't listen to :p I like the "real game" being the whole game.
- The 'heart' events are pretty boring, it's especially bad when some of them are done in 5 minutes and are a quick spell of fun, next it takes like 20 god damn minutes and the progress bar is barely moving, then when done you get some minuscule amount of XP ( This goes back to my second point about XP gaining ).
Surely others have mentioned this but Hearts are really just there to guarantee you something that will constantly be available to do in every new area. Aiming for them is not at all ideal. Go hunt in the general direction of a skill challenge or vista in the distance (or hell, just pick a compass direction and head that way). Do any events you might encounter on the way and STICK AROUND when you beat one- plenty if not a majority will chain into other events and before you know it you'll be swimming in XP. Lots of the events in the area of a heart will contribute to the heart at the same time, and your progress in hearts is always, always saved (unlike events which occur with or without you). [/QUOTE]
I cannot believe they made character names global. What a dumb goddamn idea.
Again, since you can play with characters on any server, can someone tell me what I'm missing? What should they have done instead?

Proven

SO HAS ANYONE WORKED OUT HOW TO GET THE DIGITAL DELUXE ITEMS BACK?

I feel i have asked way too many times and noone is answering. Making a new character only gives me a Heros Band and Golem Banker back.

I am missing my Miniature Rytlock, Chalice of Glory, Tome of Influence as it was on a character i accidentally deleted.

Guild War 2 Wikia is down, forums are down, support is down. I feel i have wasted $20 dollars for no reason. My brother did the same thing and so did other people on another forum i'm part of......

What a clusterfuck. I guess it's my fault is it when a item says account wide and is not any more clearer than that? /bonus and /bonusitems in GW1 gives your items back, why is there not a similar command in GW2?

Send a support ticket ASAP.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The pacing definitely feels a bit to fast for me in this game. It's the kind of design that stuff like WoW was progressively moving towards with every expansion.. but I kind of miss the more laid-back design of say vanilla wow and LOTRO.
Again, since you can play with characters on any server, can someone tell me what I'm missing? What should they have done instead?
Put a number next to a characters name if you somehow ran into a player with the same name as you.:p

Tukker

Managed to hit lvl 7 on my Elementalist, very cool game so far even though we will have to see how long that lasts. New mmos always are awesome for me for the first 2 weeks and then it dies down slowly for me. I hope its different for this one :).

yeah so i am in love with this game.

Weltall I'm making Gamepad magic happen over here, have something to show you soon

I hope you will share it with everyone if it makes gw2 better with gamepad :). Only just found the big package someone posted earlier in this thread and it looks sweet already :).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I decided to jump on a random server and check it all out.

I ended up making some human female guardian that looks like zoey desc, Which is pretty good! - http://i.imgur.com/wEIcf.jpg

So far it seems ok, Nothing really amazing about it. It still feels very quest to quest related with some random world events. I have no idea about how the spells work, it feels like you can either stand there and press buttons or run around in circles and press buttons.

But I'm enjoying it. Since I knew nothing about it before going in, It's going to be a long and hopefully enjoyable journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom