• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
iXlchl3Ht3oM2.png

UQ9R7.jpg

inky

Except for WvW, you can play with anyone on any server- what could they have done?

WvW doesn't show names (of people not in your server) so it doesn't matter.

Again, since you can play with characters on any server, can someone tell me what I'm missing? What should they have done instead?

Let your screen name be whatever you want and just add a number to differentiate it if there is more than one. They don't even have to show the number to other people, just have it for admin purposes.

Helmholtz

Man, this game is scary good. It's everything I could have hoped for from a GW sequel and then some. My biggest fear was performance, since the BWEs ran like shit for me, but ANet pulled through. Getting 60fps 90% of the time with only a couple things on medium.

bakeray

Is there some place I can purchase the game right now and be able to play this evening/tomorrow or have all the retailers exhausted all of their 3 day early access keys?

JoeBoy101

Really have been enjoying the game so far. And, much to my surprise, have been playing Sylvari. The art design with them is fantastic, though I found their concept a bit shallow past their origin. Could have done much more, but instead, they are just elves/humans with a different skin. Should have gone much more alien in concept with them.

Otherwise, enjoying the game immensely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you buy from ArenaNet you'll still get headstart access.
Let your screen name be whatever you want and just add a number to differentiate it if there is more than one. They don't even have to show the number to other people, just have it for admin purposes.
Huh, that sounds awesome, why don't all games do it this way?

So I decided to jump on a random server and check it all out.

I ended up making some human female guardian that looks like zoey desc, Which is pretty good! - http://i.imgur.com/wEIcf.jpg

So far it seems ok, Nothing really amazing about it. It still feels very quest to quest related with some random world events. I have no idea about how the spells work, it feels like you can either stand there and press buttons or run around in circles and press buttons.

But I'm enjoying it. Since I knew nothing about it before going in, It's going to be a long and hopefully enjoyable journey.

She does look like Zooey, nice!

I'm still trying to figure out what direction I want to take my Engineer. Anyone else playing one that's found a particularly effective build (PvE)?

gillty

Banned
Except for WvW, you can play with anyone on any server- what could they have done?

I saw your post about this before and I just don't get it. EVERYTHING gives you XP. I'd love to group up with you sometime and see what's going on.

Wellll... at the moment you probably don't even have an elite skill unlocked, right? Trust me, it changes the game. That's a carrot. But otherwise, I hope this is one complaint they don't listen to :p I like the "real game" being the whole game.

Surely others have mentioned this but Hearts are really just there to guarantee you something that will constantly be available to do in every new area. Aiming for them is not at all ideal. Go hunt in the general direction of a skill challenge or vista in the distance (or hell, just pick a compass direction and head that way). Do any events you might encounter on the way and STICK AROUND when you beat one- plenty if not a majority will chain into other events and before you know it you'll be swimming in XP. Lots of the events in the area of a heart will contribute to the heart at the same time, and your progress in hearts is always, always saved (unlike events which occur with or without you).

Again, since you can play with characters on any server, can someone tell me what I'm missing? What should they have done instead?
Simple either use the same numbering system for the global id accounts or name (Sever) like other mmos that have cross world play.

Other than that, not really feeling the game. Doesn't really offer anything new imo, and its pretty atrocious for image quality and textures considering how poor performance.

Vodh

Yesssss, just transferred my home world to Gandara! It's high instead of full at the moment, in case anyone wants to do the same.

After coming from WoW Arena style pvp, I don't really enjoy GW 2's tourney mode. 3v3 is a real nice balance and the game mode for the pvp isn't that exciting. The maps are ok though

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but several online games have started going this route recently.

Heck, ANet did it themselves for account names.
No not at all, especially since they implemented it for accounts, does anyone know why they wouldn't for character names?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Simple either use the same numbering system for the global id accounts or name (Sever) like other mmos that have cross world play.

Other than that, not really feeling the game. Doesn't really offer anything new imo, and its pretty atrocious for image quality and textures considering how poor performance.

No idea what you mean by atrocious. Textures are fine, and graphic/art design is brilliant. Performance is fine at highest settings for me, so that's not arenanet's fault.

KePoW

Banned
No not at all, especially since they implemented it for accounts, does anyone know why they wouldn't for character names?

My guess is that GW2 has been in development for far too long, and they could not change the entire character database structure at the end. Probably has to be designed from the ground up.

Bentendo

So I'm downloading the game right now but I can't seem to activate my account. Whenever I press the link in my email, it sends me to a blank page with the following text:

"Template "{"code":3010,"product":1008,"module":1,"line":462,"text":""}" not found"

I think I've found a reference to another game.

Clayent Falls in Queensdale has a house by the lake with a family living inside.

Their names are;

Gunther Duran
Welkin Duran
Alicia Duran
Isara Duran

Compare with;

Belgen Gunther
Welkin Gunther
Alicia Melchiott
Isara Gunther

from Valkyria Chronicles.

Same family relations too.

Venfayth

I think I've found a reference to another game.

Clayent Falls in Queensdale has a house by the lake with a family living inside.

Their names are;

Gunther Duran
Welkin Duran
Alicia Duran
Isara Duran

Compare with;

Belgen Gunther
Welkin Gunther
Alicia Melchiott
Isara Gunther

from Valkyria Chronicles.

Same family relations too.

Cool :D Definitely a reference

Jayge

The combination of Kessex Hills being even worse than the Norn zones and the lack of the Trading Post meaning all I'm doing is inventory management and hemorrhaging potential profit have driven me to retire until the latter issue is solved.

To those complaining about some Hearts - a cheap way to get them done is to wait for a Dynamic Event to trigger in conjunction with the heart's area, half the time I get hearts without realizing I did anything at all just from slaughtering invaders.

Does anyone know if you can buy extra character slots yet?

800 gems on the "Upgrades" tab of the gem store.

SalomonA

Really enjoying the game right now. Currently playing a lvl 8 charr mesmer with a two-handed sword. Dat ranged lightning attack.

dot

Do we really need to make an account on another site to get into the GAF guild?

Yes. After you register you will have to post in the signup thread when it's open again. It's not really a big deal but it's a pain waiting since i wanna play with some peoples already. :/

I'm such a slow leveler, i'm still level 2. lololol

Ken

Level 5 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do because my story quest is too hard (infiltrate the bandit hideout).

Augustus

Banned
Havent been able to log in to any servers, I get error "10:4:5:3624:101" Which is something to do with Firewalls etc. I have disabled my firewall and antivirus and still cant fucking log in. What a waste of time and money pre purchasing.

So I'm downloading the game right now but I can't seem to activate my account. Whenever I press the link in my email, it sends me to a blank page with the following text:

"Template "{"code":3010,"product":1008,"module":1,"line":462,"text":""}" not found"

I got that too but it won't prevent you from playing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Level 5 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do because my story quest is too hard (infiltrate the bandit hideout).

Explore the world man. Join in on events and the heart quests.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So using a staff seems to be the most silly thing ever. Just run around with that auto attack turned on.

Crafting, where on earth do I learn it? I seem to have a lot of random crap in my inventory. Do I just trash it early on / sell it?

nataku

How do I know where events are?

The best way to find them is just complete the map your're on. Do the points of interest, the hearts, vistas, and get the waypoints. You'll come across events as you do that. They'll pop up on your tracker and get highlighted on your map and minimap.

Swig_

So.. not to bitch... but they always said they weren't going to be WoW and were not going to have all the pointless quests in wow collecting X and killing Y, like collecting 15 goblin ears...

First quest and I'm collecting eggs and killing nests that don't fight back while a bar fills up.

Hrmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom