• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grokbu

Sigh. I was finally able to get meet up with the other guys in my party, as we were having these overflow issues. But of course, my game had to crash, and I haven't been able to meet them since...

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Bugged for the moment- you know about the join in feature, right? It's not working at the moment but it solves the problem when it functions right.

For now, only form a party when you're in the same zone- leave the party, all go out into the overflow together, then party up.

Only partying up in overflow is something we'll have to try, but we've been in overflow at the same time but still not seen each other. People in-game have said that separate overflows take place on other servers or something? It's still showing us as in the wrong zones too.

Finally was able to login, and play a bit. Made a Thief first, but didn't really click, so I made a Norn Necromancer instead. The game definitely has that "one more quest, and I'll logoff" thing down. Found myself playing a couple hours straight, w/o even noticing. Pretty standard fare for combat, but the dodging does add a little bit to it. Still, MMO combat feel, which isn't a bad thing. Beginning questing is pretty bland, but fairly quick and painless.

My biggest complaints, are the UI and presentation. Things look unfinished, and unpolished. Not what I would expect from a game like this. Graphically, it's a mixed bag as well. Human characters look really good, but the others, not so much. Surely once you get better gear, things will be much better. Environments are mostly well done, but some areas lack cohesiveness.

Definitely going to be playing a lot more.

Ferny

"Guild invites cannot be sent at this time. Additionally, some players who were in guilds have been kicked and cannot be reinvited. We're investigating."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Partying in this game is so garbage. Pretty much impossible to get into the same 'server' as your friends, only shows party portrait when you're in the same zone, and it doesn't even say if they're online or not.
It's bugged; it should be trivial to get into the same zone as them, it's just not working properly at the moment. Ordinarily, you right click on them in the party screen and hit "join in"

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
"Guild invites cannot be sent at this time. Additionally, some players who were in guilds have been kicked and cannot be reinvited. We're investigating."

Ferny, do you still need money for the guild?

Also, Scepter Guardian is so much better than mace/staff. That's all I've found so far.

Also, do monthly achievements go from now until a month from now, or from august 1st til september 1st?

EDIT: Nvm it says "august achievement" so it's til the end of august I assume.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What does full mean in the world selection screen? Is it forever or just because it's a peak time?

I want to play but not pick a non gaf server.

Emitan

My Human Ele I'm using for PvP:
gw22012-08-2515-34-56llstc.png

gw22012-08-2515-35-01fosxi.png

Tadale

So the server my friends are on is now full, and the game keeps giving me some message about permanently choosing a "home." That doesn't mean that I can't have characters on multiple servers does it?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the server my friends are on is now full, and the game keeps giving me some message about permanently choosing a "home." That doesn't mean that I can't have characters on multiple servers does it?

Correct. Which is why i'm trying to wait out the full period for the gaf server.

You can pay $$ to transfer your characters across worlds though. Something I personally don't want to do.

Tadale

Correct. Which is why i'm trying to wait out the full period for the gaf server.

You can pay $$ to transfer your characters across worlds though. Something I personally don't want to do.

So I can't play with my friends? That is crazy. How do you go about getting a refund?

I'm sitting on almost 1g worth of copper ore that I can't sell cause the trading post is ass. Good news is, the price of copper ore has gone up by 12c over the course of the day.

Kade

Your home server only determines who you represent in WvW from what I understand. You can play with your friends regardless of server thanks to the guest system. If you want to play WvW with your friends though, roll on the same server and if you can't, you're shit out of luck.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Transfers being free for the first weeks seems ok. But I'm guessing the server you want to actually transfer to will still be full, So bugger D:

Tadale

Your home server only determines who you represent in WvW from what I understand. You can play with your friends regardless of server thanks to the guest system. If you want to play WvW with your friends though, roll on the same server. If you can't, you're shit out of luck.

That is seriously crazy. I guess I'm shit out of luck.

glaurung

Got my main up to level 11.

Some story quests were a bit odd, difficulty-wise. And the fact that I spent all of my time in Overflow means that I do not get the world bonuses. Plus stupid people asking all the time why everybody speaks in German, Spanish, Polish, Finnish, etc.

EU/Gandara

Time for a break now.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That is seriously crazy. I guess I'm shit out of luck.

Yea. I think I would personally prefer a queue system. At least I would have my characters on the same server and can just wait it out.

I still can't figure out if full means, You're really shit out of luck and there's no chance of getting on here or there's 10000/10000 players with another 1000 on the overflow server and once people start logging off you can jump in.

Tadale

So what are the options for someone trying to get on their guild's full server? Wait it out? Is there any guarantee that the game would open?

Emitan

Don't want to sound like a fangirl or anything but people seem to be getting outraged over things that are an issue with every single MMO.

I guess I can understand if it's your first time but complaining that servers can't hold an infinite numbers of players is just silly.

Rad Agast

Some idiot cut off the cables providing internet to my entire block so I'm downloading the game through my cell service provider (thankful for my unlimited plan) it's going slow but I hope to finish some time this weekend ;-/

Tadale

Ouch, that sucks. well, hopefully it will open up a bit when free transfers are still available

Free transfers are available (i think), so some spots might open up

But if one doesn't, and the week runs out, I just won't be able to get on that server without paying more money?

But if one doesn't, and the week runs out, I just won't be able to get on that server without paying more money?

From the GW2 blog:

"At launch, players will be able to transfer between worlds freely. However, once server populations have largely settled and stabilized, world transfers will be restricted to once a week and cost a variable amount of gems based on the population of the world being transferred to."

So maybe it's not "just one week", it's probably more when it's to the point when everyone has had a chance to get on the server they want to and populations stop fluctuating.

Dusky

Is there a way to see if a server is full while on the server?

I want to tell my friend when he can join.

You could check the world selection in the character selection screen, you can see what the capacity level is from there. Pretty sure there's an easier way though.

Edit: Just realized you could be referring to the overflow system, is that what you mean or?

Tadale

From the GW2 blog:

"At launch, players will be able to transfer between worlds freely. However, once server populations have largely settled and stabilized, world transfers will be restricted to once a week and cost a variable amount of gems based on the population of the world being transferred to."

So maybe it's not "just one week", it's probably more when it's to the point when everyone has had a chance to get on the server they want to and populations stop fluctuating.

I guess I have to wait it out, but it's super frustrating to have to worry about my server status.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I got to hijack a friend's account for a few hours today.

Hyped. Game runs very well on my old HD5850. Settings on medium/high, FXAA/Vsync on and it never dips below 40 fps, even when the fights go crazy. Most of the time a stable 60 frames.

Game plays so much smoother compared to the few minutes of beta I played a few weeks ago.

Can't wait to dive into the game myself on tuesday.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't want to sound like a fangirl or anything but people seem to be getting outraged over things that are an issue with every single MMO.

I guess I can understand if it's your first time but complaining that servers can't hold an infinite numbers of players is just silly.

As I said, A queue system would have been nicer. At least then (As an Aussie) I can still play with fellow friends / late night gaffers when the world is actually less populated. Instead I can't even get close to that stage.

Looks like there's some dota 2 game happening in a few hours, So I will double check the gaf server later on today. It's sunday morning (7:30am) here, So still plenty of time to try and jump on the same server as everyone else.

khefka

Neo Member
When I can play it runs fine but every 5 minutes get a black screen with unrecoverable graphics error. That was with old drivers and the newest beta drivers, sucks but hoping it will get better with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom