• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torraz

Warrior seems more fun to me, as a slightly disapointed elementalist - as a heads up to other people who also questioned elementalist in this thread.

Also, the norn area seems to have way more events than the human one, if I compare my experience on my human elementalist to my norn warrior.

Varshes

Sorry if this has been asked before but, if I have early access, how long is the grace period after launch until I have to put in the retail key? I know it's 5 days for the CE, is it the same for the regular edition? Thanks.

Made a Guardian and wasn't feeling it, then made a thief, wasn't feeling it. Then I went back to my guardian and I'm loving it. Weird how that happened.

W1SSY

Audίoboxer;41424605 said:
Just spent half an hour there to 100% divinitys reach, was interested to see if I got anything besides XP. 3 transmutation stones!

I spent a good amount of time last night getting 100% on Lions Arch and also got 3 transmuatation stones. I almost have all of Hoelbrak just missing the one POI inside the instanced building.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Sooo I just broke down and bought it from Amazon (had some credit). Downloading now. Debating whether to buy GW1 trilogy+EotN on Steam because I don't own it and want to get started on the Hall of Monuments sometime.

Sooo I just broke down and bought it from Amazon (had some credit). Downloading now. Debating whether to buy GW1 on Steam because I don't own it and want to get started on the Hall of Monuments sometime.
I wouldn't bother unless you REALLY want to do it. The rewards are cool, but actually playing GW2 is cooler.
Totally looks that way.
Guardians are the shit. No doubt. They're at their best with a party around to buff/protect.

And tbh, even the 50/50 title doesn't seem to be that rare. Just my two cents, of course!
The 50/50 title is not that great, nor is it very difficult to obtain (relatively speaking). GWAMM is another story, though. If only I could display it...

Stuart444

Okay, the personal story/party problem I mentioned earlier, it is defo a bug but a rare bug since I've not seen anyone else mention it.

I was able to log out (both me and my gf) and then we both logged back in, I jumped to her overflow server and was finally able to get into a personal story mission with her.

Hopefully the official forums open soon, it will be easier to find if anyone else is having the same problem or not :/ especially since they don't seem to reply on twitter unless it's about one of the most common problems (ie trading post being down or something you can find on the support site)

Randy

Sooo I just broke down and bought it from Amazon (had some credit). Downloading now. Debating whether to buy GW1 trilogy+EotN on Steam because I don't own it and want to get started on the Hall of Monuments sometime.

It's not really worth the grind, xelios. If you're really into the lore, it could be fun to go through the campaigns, but other than that, it's just really time consuming and boring (especially when GW2 is waiting around to played). The rewards are mostly just skins and a couple of titles, which are easily replaced with ones from GW2.

And tbh, even the 50/50 title doesn't seem to be that rare. Just my two cents, of course!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thanks for the advice then. Guess I won't waste an extra $50 just to get the stuff from GW1.

W1SSY

It's not really worth the grind, xelios. If you're really into the lore, it could be fun to go through the campaigns, but other than that, it's just really time consuming and boring (especially when GW2 is waiting around to played). The rewards are mostly just skins and a couple of titles, which are easily replaced with ones from GW2.

I would agree with you. You would have to grind a good bit for a lot of the things for HoM and have a lot of money for others. The rewards are not that great, mostly just skins for items that IMO don't look that great.

Are the keys for GW2 region locked? A friend (who should be posting itt) bugged me about it and I found the beast deal to be on GetGames in $ but I live in Switzerland. It should work, right?

Deepo

The game seems to be pretty CPU intensive. I'm running a 3570K @ 4.4Ghz and a GTX 690 @ 1920x1200, and I'm getting between 45-50 FPS at the portals in Lion's Arch. No change to the FPS if I up the res to 2560x1600. Checking the performance monitor shows me that the game is using around 90% of all 4 cores at almost all times. Anyone else have similiar experiences?

Sethos, you are running a hex-core Intel CPU, right? Would you be able to check out your CPU usage while playing? Would be interesting to see how many cores it can use effectively!

So annoyed that the key I received from Tesco is for possibly 1 day and not the 3 days stated. Also, I registered my boxed key to my account afterwards and now fear that this has overwritten my 1 day key. I used the same email address and the random number after my username increased by 1 digit but getting no response from tickets or harassing Twitter.

Proven

Okay, the personal story/party problem I mentioned earlier, it is defo a bug but a rare bug since I've not seen anyone else mention it.

I was able to log out (both me and my gf) and then we both logged back in, I jumped to her overflow server and was finally able to get into a personal story mission with her.

Hopefully the official forums open soon, it will be easier to find if anyone else is having the same problem or not :/ especially since they don't seem to reply on twitter unless it's about one of the most common problems (ie trading post being down or something you can find on the support site)
It's a bug I reported during one of the Beta Weekends months ago. I'm surprised it's still there, but at least you found a workaround.

The game seems to be pretty CPU intensive. I'm running a 3570K @ 4.4Ghz and a GTX 690 @ 1920x1200, and I'm getting between 45-50 FPS at the portals in Lion's Arch. No change to the FPS if I up the res to 2560x1600. Checking the performance monitor shows me that the game is using around 90% of all 4 cores at almost all times. Anyone else have similiar experiences?
Arenanet has mentioned that the game is less efficient on overclocked processors. I've been playing on a stock speed i5-2500k and the game has run quite smoothly for me. The only issues have been with bumping the graphics because I run it with an AMD 4890 at 1900x1080.

Not sure why you'd be getting such high numbers on your CPU, though. The game really isn't THAT intensive (I think).

^ I thought that was for beta? I put clocks to standard back then and had no improvement
Possibly, though this still feels like a beta...

spk

^ I thought that was for beta? I put clocks to standard back then and had no improvement

I'm in the same area I was yesterday, with less people, but now my framerate drops to 27 just standing in a near empty keep. It's really obvious when I rotate the camera. There's really no reason my FPS should ever be that low in a regular environment

Stuart444

It's a bug I reported during one of the Beta Weekends months ago. I'm surprised it's still there, but at least you found a workaround.

Ah, I don't know if I had that during one of the BWEs but nice to know we're not alone. I don't like logging out and in again but I prefer that than doing it on my own :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I remember the Arenanet guys talking about supporting GW2 with things like iPad/iPhone apps and an extensive website/armory and tools where you can keep in touch with your friends and adventures in-game while you are not at your gaming PC.

Any news on that front? I remember it being a good while ago where they mentioned this.

tumblr_lid2boOwEN1qhik2do1_1280.jpg
ipadfriends.jpg

spk

Arenanet has mentioned that the game is less efficient on overclocked processors. I've been playing on a stock speed i5-2500k and the game has run quite smoothly for me. The only issues have been with bumping the graphics because I run it with an AMD 4890 at 1900x1080.

Not sure why you'd be getting such high numbers on your CPU, though. The game really isn't THAT intensive (I think).

Well I'm getting 75-90 on all 4 cores, i5 2500k 4.4ghz. Much higher than the 60-70 I was getting yesterday

Gritesh

Honestly...is this game good?

I mean I played alot of WoW back in the day, and I tried other MMO's since, and just always end up quitting a month in cause I find the game is lacking.

I just want to know, honestly is this game worth it?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I mean I played alot of WoW back in the day, and I tried other MMO's since, and just always end up quitting a month in cause I find the game is lacking.

Yes, it's a good game.

No one can know for sure if it's worth it for you.

inky

Are you looking for something like WoW Gritesh,? I suggest you read the OP, it mentions how the game and content works. The truth is I could shower the game with praises but it depends on what you want out from it. I think it's a great game, not just good.

Grayman

Is there any way to make pets stick to your equipment? Because the way it is now, having a pet pretty much disables the 'store all collectibles' functionality, and well - that sucks.

Also, how do I summon the mistfire wolf? Do I have to wait for the elite slot to unlock or what?

so the pet is an item that gets deposited?
make or box an invisible bag which ignores sorting functions.

Deepo

Possibly, though this still feels like a beta...

I'm in the same area I was yesterday, with less people, but now my framerate drops to 27 just standing in a near empty keep. It's really obvious when I rotate the camera. There's really no reason my FPS should ever be that low in a regular environment

Well I'm getting 75-90 on all 4 cores, i5 2500k 4.4ghz. Much higher than the 60-70 I was getting yesterday

Thanks you for the info guys, at least I know I'm not alone in having uneven performance.

arimanius

I'm liking the game but I've played almost every mmorpg out there. My friend who basically played UO, EQ, then WoW hates it. When I ask what he hates about it he says everything.

So I say give the game a try just go in with an open mind. It's different.

Llyranor

Heh, I've been loving the thief. That and mesmer are my favorite classes so far.

Stealth stealth stealth sneak attack cripple chase stealth run shadowstep steal shadowreturn stealth run run shadowstep attack cripple shadowreturn bow bow stealth heal stealth sneak attack

I find it a very fun and active class to play.

I named my thief 'Where did I go' and have been playing a lot of sPvP. Lots of stealth and escape skills so that the enemy can never catch up to me if I get in trouble. I'll vanish in front of their eyes and run away to live and fight another day, then strike back when they least expect it (or at least I try :p)

----

My mesmer is named 'Which one am I'. So when I have 3 clones running around, we all share the same name.

Probably best to just wait for a demo. I'm in the same boat, since I've played WoW, nothing out there really comes close.

Especially with the first Guild Wars being so mediocre, I'm probably just going to hold out and see if there's a trial version of some kind.

Just did the Pirate treasure adventure in Lions Arch, it was really unexpected and quite a treat, I really enjoyed it. The treasure was very pathetic but worth it.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
This damn game..

It's dangerous, I'm having so much fun with it.

I need to back away and do some work. o.o;;

Especially with the first Guild Wars being so mediocre, I'm probably just going to hold out and see if there's a trial version of some kind.
If it's any help, the first Guild Wars was not actually an MMO, so there wasn't nearly as much in the way of player interaction. GW2 is a full-blown MMO with an eye to eliminate the crap that makes them like a part-time job.

To fellow guardians: which weapon(s) do you like the most?
Sword/shield is probably my favorite. Staff has a lot of AoE appeal, though.

Found a masterwork staff as a random drop. Lucky?
Somewhat. I've found masterwork weapons while playing but I've also crafted masterwork stuff without too much effort.

Audίoboxer;41427168 said:
I'm digging the Ranger! Read a lot of people are so-so with it, but I enjoy the balance of Range and Melee options.
You'd probably like warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom