• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugimax

Came home with another GTX 670 to make my FPS'z SOAR..

Game crashes on launch. From what I can tell, it doesn't support SLI yet. :(

I'm in love with the game and am slowly learning the mechanics and features and all the things you can do. It was overwhelming at first since I didn't play GW1 or any other MMO except Secret World. The game doesn't explain some things clearly enough, they just kind of throw these huge, deep features at you with not a lot of explanation.

By the way, thanks for linking that epic crafting guide (for those who missed it). I was so turned off by the crafting cause it seemed really complicated with so many levels and random shit to figure out but that guide really simplified it, just a fucking perfect guide. I want to Paypal that guy like 2 bucks.

Piecake

Here's my cute little bad ass, Quicks

WTAyZ.jpg

Loving the Engineer shield so far. That 5 ability is just the best thing ever. I feel like a little teeny Captain America

Ryan_

Guardian
Warrior
Elementalist
Engineer
Mesmer
Thief
Necromancer
Ranger

This is what higher-end salvage kits are for. You can get that rune out of the armor and put it into something else.

How come everyone is so taken with the guardian? Can somebody explain to me?

Also, I tried Ele and ranger and both didn't really click. I'm now thinking guardian, engi or necro.

Piecake

How come everyone is so taken with the guardian? Can somebody explain to me?

Also, I tried Ele and ranger and both didn't really click. I'm now thinking guardian, engi or necro.

did you try ranger with the sword and dagger or shortbow? I think rangers a lot of fun if you play it that way, along with traps and the like

Engineer is really cool though. tons of fun. Guardian will be my 3rd character i play

Ryan_

did you try ranger with the sword and dagger or shortbow? I think rangers a lot of fun if you play it that way, along with traps and the like

Engineer is really cool though. tons of fun. Guardian will be my 3rd character i play

I did, but it just doesn't really click :)

Rad-

I was supposed to play until 11 PM and get some sleep as I have to wake up to work 6 AM.

I stopped playing at 3:20 AM. :/

Grayman

trying to find my way to one last POI in kessex, looks like it may be an underwater entrance but no luck yet.

youtubed it, spot is effin evil.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So, any sort of food I can eat that makes me walk faster?

Bowl of salad will grant 20% swiftness after each kill. Requires level 5 to consume. =P

To make it:
Head of lettuce + simple dressing

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Sorry for asking, but I couldn't find anything while searching. Are the HoM items broken for anyone? Seems to just eat any items I try to transmutate lol.

Trading post ever gonna work? :/ merchant items suck and so does selling to them.
It'll happen, seriously. For now just keep to crafting stuff and be glad you can build up your cash for when the AH gets working properly. You'll need it. Alternatively, if you see gems are at a low price you should buy up a bunch of them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yep, my wonderful 15 silver is going to get me so far. I don't see how you are supposed to get decent money outside of the Trading Post.

So are people ignoring the whole thing about downloading the beta drivers for nvidia still or do they seem to work fine? Folks were talking about over heating?

Getting so far very random performance in the game, mostly 50fps around but then like the Char main city, I'm stuck at 10fps if I pan the camera downward at all, and get back to 50 if I angle the camera skyward

Yep, my wonderful 15 silver is going to get me so far. I don't see how you are supposed to get decent money outside of the Trading Post.
Dunno what you mean by "decent money", but I believe income increases as you level. Not to mention, what are you actually going to buy with your gold? I have yet to see anything that I'd purchase short of crafting materials.

inky

I found 21 Masterwork (Green) items today. Without magic find. lol

Call me Lady Luck

After a while green dominates the drops. I bet you haven't found a yellow item tho ;P

I'm level 25 and I already have 90s. Haven't really found gold to be a problem honestly.

Heard rumors of hacking. Any proof to that?
Haven't heard of this, but anything is possible. Being such a huge launch and all, it'd make a pretty juicy target.
After a while green dominates the drops. I bet you haven't found a yellow item tho ;P
Yeah, looks like "item rarity" is really more of a description for how high a level a drop it is.
I'm level 25 and I already have 90s. Haven't really found gold to be a problem honestly.
Do you anything other than basic supplies and training books?

Llyranor

Haha, okay I'm warming up more to the engineer. Played some sPvP. Made a fast mobility/endurance build focusing on crippling and immobilization. A support character, if you will. My fast speed allowed me to get between capzones quickly. And whenever a battle would be going on, I'd support other damage dealers, throwing nets at their opponents to prevent them from escaping or mitigating damage, hunting down stragglers and such.

At some point a melee (only - big mistake!) warrior engaged me solo. I dispatched a network of turrets, including healing and net ones. With multiple cripple and immobilization skills, I'd stay out of range and shoot him with guns or sprays, while the turrets supported me. If he started attacking the turrets, I'd blow them up in his face. He was constantly limping around (or immobility), while I had swift and vigor, dodging any threats coming my way. It was a really enjoyable battle where I had to juggle lots of skills between my main gun, two kits, and the toolbelt. Good fun.

inky

Do you anything other than basic supplies and training books?

No. I've bought curiosities here and there (like drinks or special items) but that's it. I do salvage all of my stuff tho, but mainly saving for mats once the AH comes online. I haven't spent any karma either, I'm just going by drops.
People underestimate the amount of money some stuff gives, or haven't seen it yet. I got nearly 20s as a reward for 100%ing 1 zone. I believe higher level zones will give me more.

2Qu8l.png

How is this even possible :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What kind of performance and settings do you guys think I should expect to play with with the current setup (aka: ass CPU):

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0 Ghz (Meets the minimum requirement)
Nvidia GTX 460 (passes minimum)
3GBs RAM (passes minimum)

Really on the fence about buying this because of my CPU, but if I can expect a decent framerate without the game looking completely terrible then I'll jump on board.

Calmine

Is anyone running Crossfire getting pretty crappy frame rate? I'm running an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz with Crossfire 6850's at 1920 x 1080 and I've had to whack everything down to Medium to get decent consistent FPS.

Is anyone running Crossfire getting pretty crappy frame rate? I'm running an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz with Crossfire 6850's at 1920 x 1080 and I've had to whack everything down to Medium to get decent consistent FPS.
Tried running with a single 6850 yet? You'll probably get a framerate bump. I roll with a single 4890 and run 1900x1080 and everything is high except for a couple options. I do have FXAA off, though.

Kibokun

ok... did a bit of research. have no clue wtf to roll.

Which classes got the hottest armor, or is that not class restricted too?

I've yet to see any armor explicitly restricted by class. Armors do have types, and each class can only wear a certain type. (Light, Medium, Heavy)

A neat thing I discovered earlier which may help you decide which armor type you like the most is to see all the unlockable PVP armor skins. Even if you PVE, it's a decent indicator of how armors will evolve throughout the course of the game.

If you're in game already, the "PVP Bank" in the PVP lobby lets you preview all the unlockables. There are a lot, so I don't think many of these have made their way to wikis yet.

Instro

I asked this the other day but I don't think I got an answer. Is anyone else having trouble using the names they reserved from GW1? It doesn't seem to want to work for me and just gives me an error message about them being reserved and that I should make sure my accounts are linked, which they are.

Really digging the game so far though, its slightly overwhelming the way they just basically drop you in to the main world without a true tutorial phase like pre-searing in GW1. But everything is starting to feel more natural as I have explored around and such. There's always something to do it seems, between random events and other stuff that can really get you into wandering around and exploring stuff. Doing jumping puzzles to get to vistas and stuff is really neat too. Performance is a little sketchy at the moment, but I'm doing ok after messing around with the settings to get a good combo of low and med stuff. Although it's hard to tell what settings are really affecting my performance, the doesn't appear to be a big difference between my fps on all low and all medium :\. Seems pretty processor dependent atm, so I suppose I'm being held back in that regard with my 3.0ghz dual core. Hopefully with new drivers and optimizations it will get better, i haven't tried the most recent beta drivers yet (305.xx or something isn't it?) since they appear to still be in alpha. As of now I'm somewhat ok fps wise, it only really gets bad in huge battles with lots of people, like an event to kill a monster near town that draws in 50 people will drop me into the 10 fps range. Otherwise though its not too bad, I'll have to see how I do in WvW.

What kind of performance and settings do you guys think I should expect to play with with the current setup (aka: ass CPU):

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0 Ghz (Meets the minimum requirement)
Nvidia GTX 460 (passes minimum)
3GBs RAM (passes minimum)

Really on the fence about buying this because of my CPU, but if I can expect a decent framerate without the game looking completely terrible then I'll jump on board.

I have have the same cpu clocked at 3.0ghz, and the game regularly dips well below 30 fps. And thats on mostly low settings outside of textures and a couple other things. The game is pretty cpu dependent. I would say you will have a hard time running the game atm. Perhaps it will improve over the next few weeks though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have have the same cpu clocked at 3.0ghz, and the game regularly dips well below 30 fps. And thats on mostly low settings outside of textures and a couple other things. The game is pretty cpu dependent. I would say you will have a hard time running the game atm. Perhaps it will improve over the next few weeks though.
Thanks, I think I'll hold off then. Are you sure you have the exact same CPU though? I tried overclocking once but a friend recommended against overclocking it because it is a CPU that came with the PC (prebuilt).

Alex

I wasn't really digging it the first hour or so, but it really clicked well with me after a bit. They still could fare to tune up a few bits of things, but the base game is really, really enjoyable as a co-op game, very fun exploring and tinkering with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom