• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronic

Neo Member
So I just rerolled my main as a warrior and I have to say I am really impressed by the weapon swap mechanics. It was awesome trying out different combinations and seeing how it switched up combat.

Just found a Great Sword and am absolutely tearing through things.

Have you seen the previous pages and how many hours they have put in since the headstart started?

So here are my level and play time:

Ehj1v.jpg

DuuhL.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So I just rerolled my main as a warrior and I have to say I am really impressed by the weapon swap mechanics. It was awesome trying out different combinations and seeing how it switched up combat.

Just found a Great Sword and am absolutely tearing through things.

Yeah it's great. I enjoy dual axes, great sword, and the rifle the most. The ol' sword & board is trusty too. The only problem is having all these weapons fill my bags as I'm training up in them at first. And then I'm scared of being in a situation where a hammer works better or something similar. Dilemma.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does the Experience Survivor monthly achivement resets on downs or only on actual deaths?

It resetted for me on being downed, even though I rallied. Not sure if that was a bug or that's how it's supposed to work.

Hard either way, especially since you need multiple tiers so prolly like 100k without death oo. Impossible to do with normal gameplay.

Mr. Hyde

What are fellow thieves finding the best dps weapon setup for pve? I am using dagger in main hand and pistol in offhand at the moment and it's pretty good but I am wondering if there is better.

Instro

Thanks, I think I'll hold off then. Are you sure you have the exact same CPU though? I tried overclocking once but a friend recommended against overclocking it because it is a CPU that came with the PC (prebuilt).

Oops, should have clarified, I meant that I have a higher end cpu from the same line.

Anilusion

It resetted for me on being downed, even though I rallied. Not sure if that was a bug or that's how it's supposed to work.

Hard either way, especially since you need multiple tiers so prolly like 100k without death oo. Impossible to do with normal gameplay.

Doesn't it get easier at higher levels when you get more xp?

epmode

Does anyone else find that they get desynced from the server every once in a while? I don't mean that you get fully disconnected and you have to sign in again; Just that the AI and other players stop reacting to anything for ~15 seconds straight. Then everything catches up all at once. I'll never get those survival badges like that.

Ferrio

Banned
What are fellow thieves finding the best dps weapon setup for pve? I am using dagger in main hand and pistol in offhand at the moment and it's pretty good but I am wondering if there is better.

Dual daggers by far. The 3rd skill tears through groups like nothing. 5 th into invisibility into backstabbing does a ton

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The activation email keeps saying, "The link you clicked is expired or invalid." Is this going to prevent me from logging in once the game finishes installing?

I find sword/dagger to be pretty decent at DPS. The sword auto attack hits multiple targets in front of you. You also get a shit ton of maneuverability with skills 2 and 3. Meanwhile, dagger offhand lets you cloak as needed.

Jack_AG

Banned
Does anyone else find that they get desynced from the server every once in a while? I don't mean that you get fully disconnected and you have to sign in again; Just that the AI and other players stop reacting to anything for ~15 seconds straight. Then everything catches up all at once. I'll never get those survival badges like that.
I am noticing a lot more lag than in betas. Often times it takes a second or two after I activate an ability before that ability goes off. Even when using instant abilities from a cold start. I've rubberbanded dozens of times already.

I attribute this to a large amount of players in a single zone and overflow. The realm is better but not as quick as a beta. Overflow is pretty horrid tho.

Hopefully this is just the launch period we all have to go through for the initial few weeks of going live. I'm sure ANet will iron things out. To be expected, IMO.

Helmholtz

I've been reading stuff about accounts getting banned over characters having copyrighted names...
One of my characters is named "Im Batman", am I in trouble? I can just delete it if so, haha.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Doesn't it get easier at higher levels when you get more xp?

I thought it was that they said the exp curve was linear and not exponential? As in, it takes the same amount of exp to get from lvl 2 to 3 than it takes to get from 22 to 23....

Maybe they meant the same TIME, not exp. as in, it takes the same amount of monsters killed at all levels, but it will be more exp at higher levels.

I don't know, but i know that that's so hard to get without playing a super-careful/crafting game...

KuroNeeko

Only had a chance to play with a few of the classes so far but I really like Engineers and Mesmers. The pistol Engineer has been really nice in some of the Dynamic Events with the Glue Shot and Charge / Venom shot are both fun. Still only a few levels into the class but seems like a neat class.

The Mesmer class is a lot of fun. Seems like you need to find a rotation for your skills to play one right. I'm only a few levels into it, but scepter / pistol has been hugely rewarding. Start with Confusing Images, Phantom Duelist, Illusionary Counter, and Stun, and nuke your Mirages. Seems like the class requires a lot of work, but I bet it's fun as hell in PVP and does good damage in PvE.

Necro has been a mixed bag. I like the atmosphere of the class, but I don't like the pets and I don't see the appeal behind Death Shroud yet outside of an extra life bar. Maybe this will change down the road but it just doesn't seem as involved as the Engineer or Mesmer.

Started a Guardian, but it didn't really click. Seems like a durable class though. Still want to try a Thief and maybe an Elementalist. I don't want to mess around with pets so a Ranger is probably not in the cards. Warrior is just not my type.

One thing I've found I DON'T really like about the game is the VA on the main character. I may be in the minority, but I like to go in to MMORPGS with a very set idea of who my character is. I started on the RP server in WoW and always tried to stay in character. So when my Norn Mesmer gets up and starts talking about how she's going to take part in the Great Hunt and forge her own legend, blah blah blah, I don't like how the game wrests that control away from me. Now I'm playing something that the game is providing me, someone else's character, rather than my own. I don't hate the story system, though. Same with the Sylvari, in my mind, my character spoke with a raspy, rustling voice, but when she actually spoke she sounded like a normal person. It was a bit disappointing.

Feeling rather squishy of late. I got three pets out right now (Shadow Fiend, Blood Fiend, and flesh ranged pet [can't remember name]. I do pretty good normally, but on some of the story missions, I've had some real trouble at times.

There's a lot of flexibility in play though. For example, I normally go Scepter/Focus for my attacks, but when help a group of people, I go Staff for the AoE attacks. I still get the pets either way. The game moves too quick right for me to appreciate the shifting of conditions and boons with the other utility skills, and though the sigils are interesting, I'd rather have the pets.

BTW - Level 12.

How are you doing with Death Shroud? I realize it's supposed to be this big defining feature for Necros, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work well. I'm still only about level 7ish, and when I do DS it seems like I just end up spamming the 1 key and occasionally throwing out the fear.

I made a Sylvari Necro, just like you, and like the feel of the class (though I'll probably try something less pet-focused) but not really feeling the DS mechanic yet. (Level 7ish, Axe, Two-handed staff, staff)

BTW, you guys going first name only or first/last name?

Ketch

Wish this was available on steam... I got a bunch of gift cards as gifts and have a huge steam wallet... anybody want to help out a fellow gaffer? Trade GW2 for a steam game of equal value?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this game doesn't know what it wants to be. They put together a bunch of different elements that are pretty neat on their own, but don't really gel well with each other. Overall, I don't think it's a very good game. Granted, I'm only level 15 on my Elementalist, and level 5 on my Warrior, but I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to playing at this point. Things may change, granted, but that's my impression for now.

KuroNeeko

I feel like this game doesn't know what it wants to be. They put together a bunch of different elements that are pretty neat on their own, but don't really gel well with each other. Overall, I don't think it's a very good game. Granted, I'm only level 15 on my Elementalist, and level 5 on my Warrior, but I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to playing at this point. Things may change, granted, but that's my impression for now.

Can you be a bit more specific? For me, the biggest problems so far are lack of difficulty, main character VA, and (potential) repetition in Heart Events.

for those who can't download the game (like if you bought it off gmg) there are torrents to download the game. I won't be able to play the game until whenever I get a key from gmg (from their reputation, next week maybe) but at least the game will be ready to go.

also a note for canadians with rbc credit cards. They block ALL gaming transactions online. You should be able to use paypal though.

Varna

I see all these characters with perfect facial features. Where are the ugly mugs who don't want to be daisies and snowflakes?

Honestly, I found it kind of hard to make a rugged looking human male. There is only one face that really goes with that kind of look.

Finally managed to play a little, (and yay for being unbanned) I like it so far, I feel like it doesn't seem to do any one thing especially awesomely, but overall it's pretty polished.
I'd say Tera for me had a better wow factor on first impressions, though Tera lost it's appeal in the later stages once you realise how repetitive the questing is, which isn't the case here so it may balance in favour for GW2.
The story presentation (with cutscenes) and the writing falls way short of what I played of FFXIV, although much better than Tera. Tera's dungeon instances are excellent and a good challenge so hopefully there's something like that to play through as well
There seems to be a lot of variety in all aspects of GW2 so I'm looking forward to indulging myself a bit, when I have the time
I've made two characters so far, and not progressed particularly far enough to give a better impression, here's a few screenshots

The game looks very pretty, and runs silky smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom