• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

This game is easily the best MMO since Vanilla WoW. This is a genuine Concord moment. This game perfectly recaptures the magic where you have a massively multiplayer experience with hundreds of people are doing the same things, together.

And I'll be suffering from altitis. I don't mind.
I get this, too. I've already bought three character slots just so I can have one of each class.
What triggers the Shadow Behemoth event?
Pretty sure it's timed, but there are lead-up events that must occur as well. I know that at the very least, you need to take out several underworld portals before he'll spawn. I was taking a few out for an event. When we finished, a great rift appeared in the swamp and the big ol' demon came out to eat us alive.

Lyonaz

What triggers the Shadow Behemoth event?

Yesterday I had a fight with a group against a champion Oakheart, fight was great, my flamethrower was lighting up the place at night.

Grayman

I've only just hit my Mesmer to level 10. I'm playing with it alongside my partner who is an Elementalist. She only has time to play it on the weekends and an hour every night, so it'll be slow going for those two.

And I'll be suffering from altitis. I don't mind.

I am trying to avoid alting in hopes that I can level up faster/easier if I get one character higher up. At very least start off my extras with larger bag slots and some items with the right bonuses.

VashTS

Unfortunately, I'm not getting the game until release. Hopefully the guild capacity issues get sorted out, but for now I guess I'll just play on the US server.

Question: Are old class combinations from the first game still viable in GW2?
I thoroughly enjoyed my ranger/mesmer.

Grayman

Unfortunately, I'm not getting the game until release. Hopefully the guild capacity issues get sorted out, but for now I guess I'll just play on the US server.

combinations don't exist anymore. Mesmer is also a very different class but still has some mind games and very very light domination aspects.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Eh lot of events don't chain into anything meaningful or really go anywhere either though.

A lot of them DO though. A lot of them start off with something super-boring (collect plants!) but then develop into something bigger. if you never stay, the quests will be REALLY disappointing. if you stay though, not only do they develop (which is awesome), but they also get better and better.

V_Arnold

This game is easily the best MMO since Vanilla WoW. This is a genuine Concord moment. This game perfectly recaptures the magic where you have a massively multiplayer experience with hundreds of people are doing the same things, together.

I agree with you, completely.
This game was made WITHOUT WoW's recent (5+ years and counting) concepts in mind. It is a game where instead of separating people, you unite them. They ignored the many features that the majority of MMO's have (most importantly: kill steal, ninja looting/party loot system, resource hunt, xp steals, "you do not have that quest so this mob killing business is not fun for you yet"), and this made a miracle.

A miracle where if I meet someone on my way, I do not automatically try to split in the wilderness so we can farm separately. I no longer feel ashamed to be helped out and/or helping out others. Mining is always a joy instead of worrying about others. And I join in every quest/event that I see, because players band together, and it is fun resurrecting them :p (Because they have yet to learn how to not stand in red circles :D)

I do not want to use any big words yet (lv17 after all, almost fully explored the 1-15 norn zones, 50-50 armor/weaponsmithing), but if this pace and this feeling is being kept up, and if the 5 man instances are great as well, then we have a real alternative for WoW - something that has not been done since it was released. The market desperately needs something like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey GAF,

I'm gonna make a couple more characters - what order would you rank each profession in terms of overall enjoyability to play (things such as fun and lasting coolness could be factors)

Thanks
Rofl.

No one has played any class to 80, let alone all of them.

Seriously they are ALL fun. Mesmer and Engi are pretty complex. Warrior and Ranger are more straightforward though both have tons of options. The rest are AWESOME (shrug). Just play what interests you. You can always delete and remake if you want.

Kalnos

Banned

Agreed. I really wish someone captured the 'world' in the same way WoW did though (i.e. no loads between zones/large cities.).

T.O.P

Banned
Oh shit, you too? I just got that, it's like an oscillating sound, "WHHOOOoooOOOoooomWHHHooooooOOOOM."

yeah, scared the crap out of me lol

Now done everything on Queensdale, moved to the Asura starting zone to get 3-4 extra level and then i'll go back....

I donnow why i hated the betas i played, but this time i'm freakin loving the game :D

Rofl.

No one has played any class to 80

A dude got to 80 in 34 hours of playing, just saying lol

(Nearly unmitigated praise for GW2)
And all of this with no subscription fee. There is no pressure to play constantly to get your money's worth. Enjoy at your leisure.

By the way, the starting areas were developed last. They let the players do the iterating there.
The justification for demanding recurring payments from your customers to play is going to become much more stringent after this, I would imagine.
Unless you're Blizzard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And all of this with no subscription fee.
The fact that this has occurred and is not being given more attention is somewhat remarkable.

The justification for demanding recurring payments from your customers to play is going to become much more stringent after this, I would imagine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I salvage EVERYTHING, then make new gear, then SALVAGE it again. It's a deadly cycle.

LjGi4.png

Get your GAF Armor when it's up; it looks great and tastes great too!

Only 1 Gold at the Guild Armorer. Right now it may be buggy, and typically they are found near banks in capital cities.

If only I had more than 10 silver!

Kalnos

Banned
The fact that this has occurred and is not being given more attention is somewhat remarkable.

That's an exaggeration, don't you think? It's the subtitle of this thread and it will surely be listed as a positive in just about every review that's to come. Hell, it was the deciding factor in me buying the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

There are no class combos.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's an exaggeration, don't you think? It's the subtitle of this thread and it will surely be listed as a positive in just about every review that's to come. Hell, it was the deciding factor in me buying the game.
Sorry, it definitely came off that way- I should have been more clear. I don't mean that a big deal hasn't been made about it here and once reviews hit I assume it will be given proper attention.

I meant in external discussions of the question of its position in the marketplace, a lot of it seems to focus how much endgame content there is, how much support it will get, how it matches up blow for blow with WoW, and the fact that it's an entirely different business model falls a little by the wayside in the intricacies. I don't really mean to be hyperbolic, I don't, but it's really something unprecedented we are experiencing at the moment.
There are no class combos.
Deja Vu from the first day I spent in the first GW2 thread. :p The one thing I wish they could have found a way to keep.

You all are gonna make it very difficult to wait on picking this up. I either gotta bite the bullet or unsub from this thread.
You really should.

Made an Norn warrior alt and after playing my asura engineer he seems sooooo slow.
It's a casualty of keeping the races going the same speed while remaining true to their gait. Big races are gonna lumber, little races are gonna scamper. Either way, they're all moving the same speed.
Audίoboxer;41435693 said:
Oh yeah did you guys continue the GW1 trend of having two names, or just a single name?
You can have a single word name if you want, but 2+ word names are usable (and you are more likely to get them).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly, is the gmg deal available still? $48 for this is a ludicrously good deal and borderline joke for the amount and quality of content.

Audioboxer

Okay I have to admit Asura do make 'cool' looking Mesmers. If I try Mesmer, it will probably be Asura.

Oh yeah did you guys continue the GW1 trend of having two names, or just a single name?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Haven't heard back on Twitter and I'm a little confused.

My friend bought me the game, I believe from Green Man, yesterday and I registered the code ~7:30pm (GMT+1)

Will I be in the 1 day headstart in just under 8 hours? I read something on Twitter about a headstart key and a retail key?

Ferny

I salvage EVERYTHING, then make new gear, then SALVAGE it again. It's a deadly cycle.

LjGi4.png

Get your GAF Armor when it's up; it looks great and tastes great too!

Only 1 Gold at the Guild Armorer. Right now it may be buggy, and typically they are found near banks in capital cities.

That looks amazing :( too bad I can't even buy it :((((((

Ashodin

Sup guys, I just found the best weapon that overwrites all your weapons.

o6uUY.png

BUY IT. LOVE IT. ENJOY IT.

Guild invites are still broken, people.

khefka

Neo Member
Is anyone else crashing a lot with an 'unrecoverable graphics error'? I can play anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes before black screening and crashing. Only stuff I find when I google is related to Guild Wars and none of that is working. I have an 8800gt and have upgraded to the most recent beta driver, although it was still doing it with the previous driver as well.

mcfrank

I have an iMac with an ATI 4850m 512mb and core i7 2.7ghz. Any ideas how well this will run at 1920x1080? Thinking of picking it up.

Sinistral

Enjoying the Engineer, which I got up to 15 so far, but my crafting was falling far behind. Really hard to gather up non-gathering materials without the Trading Post down. I also made other characters, one of each race and each a different profession. While farming for materials, I figure I'd level these up to find a good alt.

Warrior seems pretty neat so far, fairly shallow compared to Engineer though. Lots of skills are seem the same and despite having all those weapons to switch from, doesn't feel that diverse. The melee combat doesn't feel as tight as WoW either. Those are my initial impressions

I tried Engineer in sPVP as well (first time), and it's probably my unfamiliarity with both cases, I wasn't digging it. But I've really enjoyed Engineer up to 15 and see myself going further.

Great thing about this game... I can take my time and do everything at my own pace. No rush, and just enjoy the ride, unlike so many other games...

Missing one PoI in Ashford plains that I just can not find, and I've combed it a couple times farming for mats... any ideas?

So, any sort of food I can eat that makes me walk faster? Do multiple food buffs stack?
Unknown at this point to my knowledge.

MY BEST GUESS: food buffs will stack as long as the effects are different (critical chance and critical damage will co-exist) while buffs that are the same will overlap (both will be active but not stack).

I have an iMac with an ATI 4850m 512mb and core i7 2.7ghz. Any ideas how well this will run at 1920x1080? Thinking of picking it up.
If this were a PC, it would work just fine. As a mac, it may not run as well. Probably will be doable, though.
needs more stats how long i played unless there is.
wat? Assuming you're asking where you find your age stats, in which case you just type /age in your chatbox.
Keep trying. It is a truly epic experience
Seriously. The zergs are kind of crazy but you can really mess them up with good tactics and aoe effects/area denial. Playing with a team to disrupt supply lines and engage in hit and run tactics is probably the funnest part. Seiges are awesome, but kinda slow for me.
Game crashes on launch. From what I can tell, it doesn't support SLI yet. :(
Should checked that first. And yeah, GW2 doesn't work well with SLI yet. Honestly, you don't need it unless you're playing it across 3+ screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom