• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can you be a bit more specific? For me, the biggest problems so far are lack of difficulty, main character VA, and (potential) repetition in Heart Events.

It feels to me like everything was designed in seclusion and then sewed together. Your personal story arc, for example, seems so separated from the rest of the PvE game, for example.

Then you have this combat system that seems to have been designed specifically for PvP, but has been hamfisted back into a PvE game with mixed results. Besides the actual mechanics, you end up with a skill system where you unlock all of your weapon skills by around level 10 or so, and that's it for the next 70 levels.

PvP is completely separate from PvE. You don't even really use the same character (just the same class). I can't quite comprehend why they are even in the same game.

There's a lot to do in this game, but it really feels like a confused mess. For all of the streamlining they did, I feel that they failed to find a way to bring all of the different gameplay elements into one coherent product.

Nekrono

Are you kidding me with this game? I'm playing Warrior and I was getting owned on the story missions around level 8, I went to grind a bit more until level 11 and I'm still getting owned on level 9 story missions when theres more than one mob on me, WTF!? Even with a shield on.

Anyone with a Logitech G700 know how to make the game recognize the extra buttons?

change the extra buttons to "keystroke assignment"
g700-1.jpg

What i did was change all the extra buttons on the mouse to Ctrl+1, Crtl+2, Ctrl+3, ect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you kidding me with this game? I'm playing Warrior and I was getting owned on the story missions around level 8, I went to grind a bit more until level 11 and I'm still getting owned on level 9 story missions when theres more than one mob on me, WTF!? Even with a shield on.

I think they expect you to have different weapon sets at all times to match the encounter. Honestly, the combat in this game is what turns me off to it the most. It feels really frantic and busy, with a ton of shit to press, but the feedback the player receives is very poor in my opinion. It's hard to tell if what you're doing is good or not.

Ixian

I have have the same cpu clocked at 3.0ghz, and the game regularly dips well below 30 fps. And thats on mostly low settings outside of textures and a couple other things. The game is pretty cpu dependent. I would say you will have a hard time running the game atm. Perhaps it will improve over the next few weeks though.
Are you running the latest beta drivers for your card? I have the same GPU and was getting awful FPS performance; upgrading to the beta drivers doubled my FPS.

Nekrono

change the extra buttons to "keystroke assignment"
g700-1.jpg

What i did was change all the extra buttons on the mouse to Ctrl+1, Crtl+2, Ctrl+3, ect.

Yeah after reading a bit more seems like it's because Windows can only detect 5 mouse buttons any more and you'll have to assign a key stroke, thanks anyways!

I think they expect you to have different weapon sets at all times to match the encounter. Honestly, the combat in this game is what turns me off to it the most. It feels really frantic and busy, with a ton of shit to press, but the feedback the player receives is very poor in my opinion. It's hard to tell if what you're doing is good or not.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's hard to even pay attention to your own cooldowns.

Also the slightest bit of lag make this game's combat totally unplayable and frustrating.

Then you have this combat system that seems to have been designed specifically for PvP, but has been hamfisted back into a PvE game with mixed results. Besides the actual mechanics, you end up with a skill system where you unlock all of your weapon skills by around level 10 or so, and that's it for the next 70 levels.
Weapon skills are meant to be picked up quickly. Beyond that, you have a bunch of utility skills and elites to unlock. Then there are major and minor traits starting at level 11 and going up until level 80.
PvP is completely separate from PvE. You don't even really use the same character (just the same class). I can't quite comprehend why they are even in the same game.
The point is that you don't have to grind to get into sPvP at all. You can just pick it up and go. It prevents mechanical imbalance between people who have played different amounts of time so that skill becomes far more important than gear or whatever. If you want PvP that's connected to PvE, there's always wvwvw.

There's a lot to do in this game, but it really feels like a confused mess. For all of the streamlining they did, I feel that they failed to find a way to bring all of the different gameplay elements into one coherent product.
I'll admit, Arenanet could've probably added a lot more tutorial to the game than they did. A lot of people are confused or entirely in the dark about a lot of game mechanics. Having a more comprehensive tutorial would be very useful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It prevents mechanical imbalance between people who have played different amounts of time so that skill becomes far more important than gear or whatever. If you want PvP that's connected to PvE, there's always wvwvw.

Like I said, I don't think the combat is very good in this game, so a completely separate element does not appeal to me in the slightest. I'd rather be playing something like Counterstrike or TF2.

I haven't tried World vs World yet, so I will definitely give it a go before passing final judgment.

One thing that really bothers me is the rally mechanic in PvP. Who thought that was a good idea? Shouldn't have to worry about a guy after you've downed him.

So far I'm loving Engineer, though in my attempts to avoid rerollitis it's the only class I've played.

Other classes might be this way, but I love how it's so unfocused at first glance. The best way to describe it is the designers gave the class a bunch of tools and said "figure out how to make these work together"; given the class's name, I cannot imagine this is a coincidence. Between kits and the amazing utility belt, the game begs you to find combos that work well together without actually doing it for you

Hit:
Flamethrower pack is amazing
I like the "build a fort" nature of turrets, especially in PvP
Grenades = incredible when defending a fort. You feel like a god.
I really enjoy every single "oh shit, gotta run!" skill. Here's a typical encounter if I'm dicking around...

1. Run up to mob
2. Blowback!
3. Jetpack back over to them
4. Kick them with a flaming rocket boot
5. Rocket boot awaaaaaay!

Miss:
Turrets are weak - weaker than any other pet I've seen. WAR had this problem also. Hope they fix it
Some kits feel absolutely worthless. The medpack kit is like...here, spawn a bunch of pickups that people will ignore. I was expecting a medigun ala TF2 or similar
Likewise, what the hell is the point of the "bomb" kit? Similar effect as grenades, but you can't throw them or even control when they go off. Damage seems comparable. I don't get it.

WvWvW = so so so so so good. They NAIL the feel of sieges - absolutely nail it. As an attacker you're scrambling to build and defend siege weaponry while being harassed from above. As a defender you're scrambling to get supplies and fortify your walls. Then there's the moment of the gates caving in, and panic, and it turns into a bloodbath

One thing I find so fascinating is that players naturally play as if it was a "real" war. People are using the same strategies and verbage any (imagined) General would be using.

Like, earlier today we literally cut off the supply line to a tower in order to make it drop faster. Later, we lost a siege when the defenders did a spectacularly planned sally. On our way back to the siege we encountered a huge force holding us at a choke point on the bridge. A number of people broke off, swam in the water, and flanked them. In the confusion we pushed forward.

None of this is explicitly told to you in the game. Through clever design and common sense WvWvW becomes a complete joy in strategy

love it.

e: oh gross, the below went through 2 different compression on its way to my post. Hopefully this doesn't distract you from the glory
qjr78.jpg

kaioshade

OK, i should be crushing this game, and can barely get above 15 FPS

System Specs

Core i5 3570 @4.2
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 560ti 302.82

Everything is running in slow motion, Hover my mouse over something and the tooltip lags when displaying. The same behavior persists no matter what resolution, setting i turn on. 1-15 FPS, not a digit higher. v-syns off or on, doesnt matter.

Tried with Win 8 and Win 7, both x64

Everything is running in slow motion, Hover my mouse over something and the tooltip lags when displaying. The same behavior persists no matter what resolution, setting i turn on. 1-15 FPS, not a digit higher. v-syns off or on, doesnt matter.
Try running your CPU at stock speed. It may help. Otherwise, I don't see anything concerning.

One thing that really bothers me is the rally mechanic in PvP. Who thought that was a good idea? Shouldn't have to worry about a guy after you've downed him.
That one's a matter of opinion. Some people like the idea that the combat changes to a race to finish the guy off. Some people hate it. *shrug*
Like I said, I don't think the combat is very good in this game, so a completely separate element does not appeal to me in the slightest. I'd rather be playing something like Counterstrike or TF2.
You might consider playing a different class. Each one has a pretty unique playstyle from the others. Then again, Guild Wars may just not be your cup of tea. What other MMOs have you played?

I find the Norn areas (snow and rocks everywhere) and personal story boring but I feel like it's too late (at level 22) to pick up one of my alts.

Should I go ahead and switch or keep going?

System Specs

Core i5 3570 @4.2
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 560ti 302.82

What drivers?

Ferrio

Banned
I find the Norn areas (snow and rocks everywhere) and personal story boring but I feel like it's too late (at level 22) to pick up one of my alts.

Just cause you're norn doesn't mean you have to level in the norn area. Just go hit up your personal story every so often.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Do what you want. But you can leave the Norn area completely for 10 levels and do the personal story later.
You're getting deleveled for it anyway, so you don't break the challenge.

kaioshade

Try running your CPU at stock speed. It may help. Otherwise, I don't see anything concerning.

That one's a matter of opinion. Some people like the idea that the combat changes to a race to finish the guy off. Some people hate it. *shrug*
You might consider playing a different class. Each one has a pretty unique playstyle from the others. Then again, Guild Wars may just not be your cup of tea. What other MMOs have you played?

Just tried, same thing. What the hell. I have seen people on lesser systems running this game significantly better. This is not right.

Helmholtz

System Specs

Core i5 3570 @4.2
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 560ti 302.82

That aint right. Has to be a driver issue or something. Also make sure you choose "auto detect" under video settings and go from there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So. Apparently there are world drops.

iiPEmISNlDIW8.png

Got this rather amazing staff as a drop from the fire elemental (big world event in a reactor in Metrica, takes FOREVER). It's a level 15 area. All the other loot I got was 15-20.

In other news I really need a new hood. My little guy feels naked without one.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Why has the auction house been down for over a day?!>.

Im guessing its due to them being so busy with things like the login / server issues. Truthfully I dont mind that much. Just allows for me to collect more crap to sell in the mean time. Though with how they got placeholders and other things up seems like they are working on it. For sure they would want to get it working proper for the launch on the 28th.

kaioshade

That aint right. Has to be a driver issue or something. Also make sure you choose "auto detect" under video settings and go from there.

I have downclocked back to stock speeds, no change

Auto detect gives me everything on high, except supersampling. If i choose best performance, frame stays exactly the same.

Are the beta drivers, or any other version i should be using? This is supremely frustrating. My GF has a 6770 and is getting higher frames than me.

Aquila

After playing whenever I could in the headstart so far and during beta, I think I'm burnt out on playing an Elementalist (level 21) for the moment. Should I roll a thief or join the master race of fellow engineers out there? I have decided between a sylvari and another human for those classes at least.

Are they following the GW1 expansion model? Does anybody know what the post-launch plans are for the game?
Nope, they intend to release expansions like a normal game. ie. Adding more content, not a separate game.

A couple of post-launch expansions I've read about are the crystal desert and fire island chain. Both should be free like the Sorrow's Furnace update.

zlatko

Banned
Played a ton tonight. Had a blast. Still not sure which of the characters I made I want to make my main focus. Charr Engineer, Human Thief, and Asura Necromancer so far.

Found the thief the least exciting of the bunch to play.

Game has epic music constantly too.

My only "complaint" is that the game is just so damn in your face with shit going on everywhere non stop. You don't get a sense of world exploration and discovery since you are constantly bombarded with shit going on all around you. Not a major diss since what they bombard you with is usually cool quests worth going to do. :)

Dresden

After playing whenever I could in the headstart so far and during beta, I think I'm burnt out on playing an Elementalist (level 21) for the moment. Should I roll a thief or join the master race of fellow engineers out there? I have decided between a sylvari and another human for those classes at least.

All I'll say is that tossing grenades into a group of zerging dudes is fun. And flamethrowers are lovely.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So. Apparently there are world drops.

iiPEmISNlDIW8.png

Got this rather amazing staff as a drop from the fire elemental (big world event in a reactor in Metrica, takes FOREVER). It's a level 15 area. All the other loot I got was 15-20.

In other news I really need a new hood. My little guy feels naked without one.

Jesus just what lv are you? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom