• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

etiolate

Banned
So. Apparently there are world drops.

iiPEmISNlDIW8.png

Got this rather amazing staff as a drop from the fire elemental (big world event in a reactor in Metrica, takes FOREVER). It's a level 15 area. All the other loot I got was 15-20.

In other news I really need a new hood. My little guy feels naked without one.

Oh, wow.

Anyone sure what Soulbound on Use equates to in the game? Sames as BoE in WoW?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How do you get Volden to throw the kegs of ale to you out by Hunter's Lake? It just says to give him 'the signal'.

Ha! When I saw that minigame I laughed so hard. You have to walk to the nearby hut (it's right next to it), and there is a red circle (similar to an enemy AoE circle) in front of the entrance. When you stand in it, there's a popup saying that if you press F you "wave at Volden". Then he throws. Terribly. Trust me, the dude has terrible aim and you have to walk around and estimate qhere he'll throw, and it'll most likely be outside the red circle. It's a fun minigame that has no mentioning anyqhere in the game though, so it's a neat little detail :)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So. Apparently there are world drops.

iiPEmISNlDIW8.png

Got this rather amazing staff as a drop from the fire elemental (big world event in a reactor in Metrica, takes FOREVER). It's a level 15 area. All the other loot I got was 15-20.

In other news I really need a new hood. My little guy feels naked without one.

What do you mean by world drops?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
19. Eveyrthing else I got as a reward was standard level.

Seeing that crazy looking scepter in your pic I had thought you made it close to lv 80 or something :D
------

"HAY GUYS WHATS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD :cool:"
2SJih.jpg

This thing took forever to kill but oh man the tons of exp from reviving folks left and right.
QXvAy.jpg

Very bad day for the good guys. :D One stomp wiped out all those folks you see on their asses in the pic. I took about 2530-ish on one stomp that hit me directly. D: Thats like double the life I had at the time.
pnzcj.jpg

This pic is also a pretty good way to get an idea of the radius of the shockwave from the stomp by looking at us who are still standing vs. everyone else incapacitated.

Have not seen it drop loot or anything. Must be random? But just taking part in an epic fight like that was awesome enough. :D Fought this thing 3 times already so far. Though man do melee guys get shafted with trying to damage him just due to that crazy stomp.

Parakeetman

Yeah I saw someone who managed to find a crazy (Green rank) greatsword that had a 10% to chance to heal allies. Pretty damned good stats on it too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He means items not bought with karma, or from a vendor, but dropped from monsters (at that early level anyway).
Like, I'm level 19, I can't use that weapon for the life of me, but the Fire Elemental (which spawns like 40000 flame harpy things called Embers) can sometimes drop the staff Emberglow, which is level 80 no matter what.

kaioshade

I was kicked out too. fun stuff.

304.79 beta drivers

I just tried using the beta drivers.
Same fps....actually it went up to 17 fps.
Fuck this game. Nonsense like this is why i stopped messing with PC. i should be able to run this game perfectly fine. Nothing i tried works. And it seems im the only soul having this issue. This game was not meant to be played by me.

Parakeetman

Like, I'm level 19, I can't use that weapon for the life of me, but the Fire Elemental (which spawns like 40000 flame harpy things called Embers) can sometimes drop the staff Emberglow, which is level 80 no matter what.

Ah ok now I see. Interesting stuff though that at times there will be lv 80 items like that. I wonder if the giant drops things like that too?

Varna

Fuck this game. Nonsense like this is why i stopped messing with PC. i should be able to run this game perfectly fine. Nothing i tried works. And it seems im the only soul having this issue. This game was not meant to be played by me.

Yeah, it blows. I visited the Charr started area and some event that involved some NPCs shooting mortar fire at Harpies started... those shots sent my FPS into the teens for some reason. This in on a 690GTX. Crazy. Nvidia needs to get some good drivers for this game fast.

Really weird. I'm a rock solid 60 fps with vsync @ 2560 x 1440.

Parakeetman

So Im taking it Nvidia cards are not so hot with the game? D:

Over here am running an old ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series and game runs pretty damned good. Which is surprising with how nice this game looks and has crazy draw distances with the world itself. With 4 GB of DDR2.

Am seriously impressed for the most part with how stable the game is graphically and the fact that it does not seem to cause my PC to burn brighter than a thousand suns.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love it when you are doing a DE or World Event that fills in a heart, and then you finish the event and it fills in the heart at the same time and your xp bar is just like SKADOOSH

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I love it when you are doing a DE or World Event that fills in a heart, and then you finish the event and it fills in the heart at the same time and your xp bar is just like SKADOOSH

I love randomly completing an event that you didn't even participate in.

Varna

All right. So the 304.79 are the recommended drivers? I'm using the 305.67 drivers right now, but I'll give em a shot.

Parakeetman

Question in world events do you get credit for rezzing folks or is it just from doing things directly related to the event itself? Am guessing directly related. Though would be nice for things like the giant assault on the town you get credit for helping assist with putting folks back on their feet.

Parakeetman

I think Im lv 18 currently, where are the most of you GAF guys hanging out at? Ive seen some of you guys running around the Charr area but Ive yet to see a Charr GAF member at this time. As in has the actual GAF tags on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game is such a clusterfuck when you run around with a bunch of people.

Those are the only times when I actually enjoyed being a ranged class (Elementalist) since I could stand a bit away from the group and volley damage onto the target without having to dance around like a maniac like in solo play.

My Warrior was the complete opposite. Doing events with lots of other people was a confusing mess where the target would be dead more often than not by the time I got there, or a bunch of mobs would spawn on top of me and insta-gib me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

That fire elemental is a BITCH. I got a decent scepter from it in the end, but the chest bugged out, and was inside one of the other players.

Yeah, I had to click on the player to get my loot. It was invisible. We only realized when he shouted "I'm the chest! Click on me!" such a weird bug.

Yup. Whenever there are more than say, 5ish people in a battle, it usually becomes an indecipherable clusterfuck. These are probably the weakest moments for me.

Really? Those are the most fun for me.

Parakeetman

When those clusterfuck moments happen I just mash the Whirling Wrath skill and if I see numbers fly up I know Im doing my job. :D

been playing this last couple days, bit of an mmo-noob (1~2 months Wow, around 3 months of EVE all up) and so far it's been pretty nice. Things I like:

- movement/position factoring into combat a lot more than eg. wow
- crafting: the first longbow i made was actually better than the one i'd been using. My god.
- special storage for crafting items

things i'm less enamoured of:

- some events being on what seems like a 5 minute repeat (returning the experimental animals :/)

What this game mostly seems to be about:

Hunting for onions. Trading post needs to come back up soon!

I'm on a weeks break at the moment and I'm going to give this (and dark souls PC) a solid thrashing.

Mangotron

Are there any unique looking armor sets that you can get before the lvl 35 culturals? I'd really hate to be stuck wearing boring chainmail for another 16 levels.

MartyStu

The Engineer is WAY too much fun for a class with only one viable weapon set.

I have been using Pistol/Shield pretty much out of the gate and I have yet to get bored of this combo.

Nekrono

Those are the only times when I actually enjoyed being a ranged class (Elementalist) since I could stand a bit away from the group and volley damage onto the target without having to dance around like a maniac like in solo play.

My Warrior was the complete opposite. Doing events with lots of other people was a confusing mess where the target would be dead more often than not by the time I got there, or a bunch of mobs would spawn on top of me and insta-gib me.

Yep, I'm playing a Warrior so I know this is exactly how it feels but I just found a Bow and man am I having fun with it! So much that I'm starting to wonder if I chose the proper class...

Dreavus

I'm finding the latter case on my Mesmer when in those big groups as well. It's to the point where I find myself missing out on heart progress + EXP because I don't touch any mobs before they are annihilated by 20 people. A couple of my friends easily finish a "kill centars and stuff" heart during a close by centar attack event, but I'm stuck at half way when it's over because I have a hard time getting a hit on the majority of the monsters. I'm basically forced to use staff skills to try and get a chaos storm AOE out so I at least get credit for being there.

Kind of a weird thing how you must get damage onto a mob to get "credit" for it.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Man, I loved the crazy group rushes of the Storm castle or whatever in Eternal Battlegrounds. I'm on Ehmry's Bay and it was great attacking the castle under Stormbluff control and thinking we were going to sweep it when the 3rd server shows up, rips us apart, and takes it themselves.

Structured PvP is pretty fun, but hard and definitely not as rewarding as World. I'm considering leveling my next character strictly in World for a while to see how long it takes.

edit: My computer could handle everything really well, even when there were 50+ people attacking a castle gate.

Engineer is really fun and I can't wait until I unlock the elite potion skill. You turn into a brute or a god damn tornado.

Helmholtz

Really? Those are the most fun for me.
Yeah, I don't like not knowing what's going on in any sense, and I have trouble clicking on the enemy when there are 1000 allies crowding around it. I prefer fights with moderate amounts of allies. I don't like it when it's 30 allies to 2 enemies. It's also one of the issues I have with WvW. It's just too messy. Battles are just massive spam fests that are completely indecipherable. It bores me. And it's a shame because the combat in the game is very nice when it's not overcrowded.

Sword/Axe Warrior fo life!
Definitely. Sword main hand axe offhand is becoming on of my favorite combos. Sick AoE and bleeding. Doesn't make the clusterfucks any less stupid, though :p

As much as i'm liking the game, and they've made a lot of good choices, the handling of groups in this game is a mess.

Tried it out for the first time and oh boy it was so much work to stay together.
1) getting in the same zone is tricky due to overflow, but i kind of get that and can put up with it
2) why oh why is it if you're not close together can you not have their profile shown and more importantly see them on your map. half the time is spent wondering where everyone else went because if you stray too far they vanish.
3) shared progress of groups would be welcome

they clearly had no interest in parties for this game because its so rough compared to the rest of the game i've seen. I'm hoping the 5 man instances are much better (i'm guessing they are)

and why oh why is leatherworking such a pain to level up? there's gotta be a better way to get the base mats beside hoping to get drops. Let me skin animals or something. Weapon creation is so much easier since there's mines and trees all over the place

Alright, tried out some PvP for a bit. Is my glory supposed to be capped at rank 1 399/500? I played two more matches after hitting 399 and didn't earn any more glory after that.

Parakeetman

To add to your list, the crafting menus need a LOT more polish. When people say SWTOR did it better, you know that's an area that needs attention!

The crafting itself, however, is absolutely wonderful. A good third of my time in the game has been spent messing around, mostly with cooking.

I'm sort of relieved that you pointed out your issues sourcing materials for leatherworking. I finished my session a few minutes ago wondering what the hell I'm missing. My best leather grab was getting a stack of 40 as part of my achievement reward for fully completing Wayfarer Foothills.

Im planning on doing cooking too, but first want to try and grab as many ingredients as possible seeing how rare some are to come by. Esp the meats.

Leatherworking I want to check out due to being able to make larger bags. The jewlcrafting lock boxes with 8 slots are not too bad, but am curious if the stuff leatherworking can do has more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom