• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Being able to craft the 8 slot boxes is amazing. I really needed them for the 25(!) greens I was carrying around. Got too sucked into exploring and questing to head back to town lol

To add to the list of issues, the crafting menus need a LOT more polish. When people say SWTOR did it better, you know that's an area that needs attention!

The crafting itself, however, is absolutely wonderful. A good third of my time in the game has been spent messing around, mostly with cooking.

I'm sort of relieved that you pointed out your issues sourcing materials for leatherworking. I finished my session a few minutes ago wondering what the hell I'm missing. My best leather grab was getting a stack of 40 as part of my achievement reward for fully completing Wayfarer Foothills.

overall i really like the crafting dynamic. something i generally hate. Its even nice i can salvage the useless items i create leveling up and i now see that discovering new item combos is the way to boost my level, not making the same thing over and over. And i like that if you keep it up you can actually get use out of what you craft. Something i'm not use to from playing wow. But you have to have means of getting the base materials in a non random way. And so far when the base tactic of leather is DE random armor drops, there's a problem.

my friend doing armor crafting is flying by, since he's mostly dependent on mining and wood as the basis of materials with the random mob items to spice it up. The leather is those PLUS the other drops.

Here's my 5. I tried to make my charr the derpiest possible charr there could be.

zzroE.jpg

Nekrono

What is the problem with Overflow that people are talking about? Or is it just the fact that it puts you there most of the times?

Moaradin

Any officers on that can invite me? Some random dude tried to invite me to their guild and I got the pop up. Not sure if it's still working for GAF though. In-game name is Moaradin.

drakkykun

If you can't find your friend to party together due to the overflow thing, go both to the mists (the spvp area). You'll be able to meet there and then move together. That's how me and my friend solved the issue.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Leatherworking has 8 slot starter bags as well. I'm not sure if it outpaces jewelcrafting later or something, but at least the first bag (first item really) that you make is the same.

Cooking is THE BEST, although from an MMO perspective it could be seen as an expensive waste. I've made some really cool buffs (Sage Stuffed Mushrooms!), but mainly I'm doing it because it's the most fun I've ever had crafting in any game ever. I'm a bit of a food nerd, so shuffling around real ingredients resulting in real recipes in a videogame is endless fun for me. And I get a strange sense of satisfaction out of sending pastries and stews and so on to my friends, so we can get our grind going efficiently.

So far, I've sent a bunch of food to Butzopower, and he's given me two rifles, both better than what I had and with stats I needed. It's these little moments that really add up with this game, even though a lot of the individual parts need some polish pretty urgently. It's all similar to what's been done before, but in practice, the spin Anet put on everything seems to have finally put that magic feeling back into playing an MMO.

Very cool. Currently am going insane trying to get more poultry for one of the stews? Also running around still collecting veggies.
I found a karma reward recipe for a leatherW. bag so am wondering if that is more than the 8 slot starting one.
Am looking forward to cooking once I feel like I have enough ingredients to waste. Most def will be a huge help for doing dungeons and raids. Using it when wandering around I found to be a waste so will stop doing that to myself lol

Any officers on that can invite me? Some random dude tried to invite me to their guild and I got the pop up. Not sure if it's still working for GAF though. In-game name is Moaradin.

One of the G. Leaders said they are still having issues with the various guild functions which also includes problems as already invited members getting kicked out. Also no new invites to the guild untill / unless you are on the list which they still need to go through before they will open it up again for registration.

Well as I head to bed my Norn Guardian is level 34. Got Hoelbrak, Wayfarer Foothills, Snowden Dritfts and Gendarran Fields 100%. Also have a level 10 mesmer in there too.

Haven't worried about a guild invite yet but I'll try to grab one over the next few days if there's room and people keen on WvWvW. My friends are all down in the 20s too so if anyone wants a dungeon tomorrow hit up Groff.

Varna

What is the problem with Overflow that people are talking about? Or is it just the fact that it puts you there most of the times?

I'm sure it will get better as the initially rush of players dies down, but for the time being I don't mind being placed in the overflow server. My problems are...

1. Stupid message telling me there is a spot open now. It really should just be a small icon somewhere that turns green when there is an open slot. Click on it to join. That god damn message every few minutes if annoying as hell.

2. You get thrown into the overflow server when teleporting or entering new areas. This is extremely annoying because of point 1, but also if you already joined the main server then you really should stay on it until you log off.

Nyx

So what are the highest lvls here already ?

A friend made it to 36 last night, really wondering if he slept at all during the weekend.

Emitan

I'd love to know how much my higher capacity bags would go for on the Trading Post so I could make some more coin BUT I CAN'T

Parakeetman

You're having trouble with poultry? I ran out with my friend and farmed meat for 15 minutes and ended up with around 5 or so, and another 3 or 4 red meat pieces. I just harassed moas for a bit, and (the name escapes me) those giant bison things.

Do you happen to remember where that karma recipe was? Until I can figure out how to get leather faster, I think I'm going to put it all into the best bags I can throw together without having to be too high level.

It was in the charr area. Ill run around a bit and post back to you with the location. Will send you a PM with it also just in case you dont see the post. Will check now.

I got some chicken just not a lot like 3 pieces. Got a bunch of red meat from those drake things that are in the water though.

I'd love to know how much my higher capacity bags would go for on the Trading Post so I could make some more coin BUT I CAN'T

Save it for when launch happens. Since a larger pool of suckers with cash to peddle to.

Emitan

I can't sleep and I want to just log back in and play since I'm just posting on GAF anyway but I need sleep.

I don't think I was this obsessed with SWTOR when I first played it and I'm a huge SW nut. This game you guys. This game.

pyrandes

I know I need to sleep...but I'm contemplating getting up early and putting another hour in. Gah. I think the addiction is taking hold.

I have yet to try sPVP and I prob want to rethink my key bindings and some specs for a mesmer before i hop right into that hole. That said, the few WvWvW runs I did today was damn fun (a shame I never got to experience the RvR from DAoC) and addicting... not to mention very lucrative.

Parakeetman

Thanks!

Trading post at launch? I dunno, I'm worried about what prices will look Iike with all the hoarding going on right now out of necessity...

By the way, were you one of the people playing DQX? I thought I saw you in that thread giving impressions. Are you playing both side by side? That game sounds so different from any other new MMOs, I could see being able to enjoy both without feeling like you're doing the same thing over and over.

Ya am the same guy with a lv 45 fighter in DQX. Both are good games but right now this is solving my needs for the want to explore and pwn random monsters :D

Grokbu

I have no idea what the issue is. But when I'm playing with a friend of mine, we can find eachother after a bit of floundering. But as soon as we try to play in the human areas it never works. We can find eachother pretty easily in the city, but as soon as we step out into another place of the human area, we never see eachother. One thing that is weird is that in the party "menu", you can see where your party mates are. Well, it seems like it is lagging behind, for example my friend can be in the human city, but it says that he is in Queensdale. Then if he steps into some other area, it may say that he's in the city now. I wonder if this is what may be causing our trouble with playing with eachother. It is all really strange.

The Join In thingy is weird. Sometimes nothing happens when you click it, other times it seems to work and loads the map again, but you don't find eachother (and you might see your friend on the map, but he doesn't move), and sometimes it works perfectly.

Really great game when it all works though.

EDIT: I wonder if things will work a bit better at launch?

inky

So what are the highest lvls here already ?

A friend made it to 36 last night, really wondering if he slept at all during the weekend.

There's a lvl 52 in the guild already. Pretty sure he'll make 80 before the game launches. Watch it be news somewhere too that ppl accomplished this, nvm that it shouldn't matter that much.

As for me, I'm taking my time, making sure I visit every building and try to talk to every NPC in a new area. I'm about to hit 30.

Emitan

There's a lvl 52 in the guild already. Pretty sure he'll make 80 before the game launches. Watch it be news somewhere too that ppl accomplished this, nvm that it shouldn't matter that much.

As for me, I'm taking my time, making sure I visit every building and try to talk to every NPC in a new area.

I'm getting 100% in each section of a region before continuing on. Because let's be honest, I am getting 100% map completion with my Norn. The only reason I wouldn't would be because I stop playing before then.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Also what's wrong with being in the overflow? I thought it's just the same content and no difference?

Sure, if you're playing solo. Try doing it in a group. You don't automatically get put together, joining your friend doesn't work half the time and even then only works if you've already been in the same instance. So if they log in you have to meet in a town without an overflow or you likely won't ever get in the same overflow. It's a disaster.

KuroNeeko

Seems like you can't pick up Crafting in the starter areas? Are you guys just running to wherever you have to go, learning Crafting, and then heading back to the starter zone? I'm not really into the idea of just running straight through an area just to get to the Crafting trainer (I'd rather progress naturally) but my bags are getting clogged up with mats :/

inky

Me too! I've already 100%ed 3 areas. It's a lot of fun and let's you appreciate the game in a different way, finding all the hidden paths and whatnot.

docbon

Has anyone else been getting strange lag while playing in certain zones? While in Dissae Plateau, my story instances, and now the WvWvW borderlands map, I've noticed that the faster I move around, the longer it takes for my abilities to activate. If I move too far, too fast, I just get disconnected from the game.

If I run away from whatever is attacking me during combat, I'll still take damage from the enemy, leaving me completely defenseless. It's as if my character's actual position is several meters away from my point of view.

The oddest part is, I can see everyone move around me as if there were no issues.

The effect is also permanent, so I literally can't play large portions of the game. Already sent a ticket to support and started re-downloading the game, but I'm curious if any of you ran into a similar issue.

Emitan

Seems like you can't pick up Crafting in the starter areas? Are you guys just running to wherever you have to go, learning Crafting, and then heading back to the starter zone? I'm not really into the idea of just running straight through an area just to get to the Crafting trainer (I'd rather progress naturally) but my bags are getting clogged up with mats :/

You can pick up crafting in any capital city or Lion's Arch. You have access to all of them from level one.

etiolate

Banned

Just get your gathering tools and gather. When you head to a city or come across crafters out in the world, then you can train what you want and use what you've gathered and deposited.

You can send mats straight from your bags to your collection, which is basically a mat bank. You can do this at any time from anywhere in the world, just click the little gear in the top right or right click on the mat itself

Xane

Are the crafting XP tied to the character or to the entire account?
My guess is per character, but then why wouldn't you want to focus your crafting professions on only one character?
Are there any benefits in splitting up the different crafting professions on all of your characters?

EDIT: And while I'm at it, since there's a crafting tab where you can experiment with raw materials. Is there a collective site / wiki with some working receips yet?

Ferga

I know I need to sleep...but I'm contemplating getting up early and putting another hour in. Gah. I think the addiction is taking hold.

I have yet to try sPVP and I prob want to rethink my key bindings and some specs for a mesmer before i hop right into that hole. That said, the few WvWvW runs I did today was damn fun (a shame I never got to experience the RvR from DAoC) and addicting... not to mention very lucrative.

I have an exam in about 17hours and I still have 30pages of economic problems to go through and I haven't even started yet. God damn mmos :(

KuroNeeko

Is there an emote system? I've tried messing around with a few commands - just looking for something like a "smile" or a "thanks" that I can give people who help me out.

You can pick up crafting in any capital city or Lion's Arch. You have access to all of them from level one.

Are the capital cities those areas you start in after completing the tutorial? Are they marked with a specific symbol or appear as merchants?

Just get your gathering tools and gather. When you head to a city or come across crafters out in the world, then you can train what you want and use what you've gathered and deposited.

You can send mats straight from your bags to your collection, which is basically a mat bank. You can do this at any time from anywhere in the world, just click the little gear in the top right or right click on the mat itself

Whoa! Thanks for this! :D

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Watching a streamer(Toweliee) run that 5 man made me cringe. At least the questing is great in this game

How solo-friendly is this game? I read there are area quests, kinda like Warhammer. Do I need to be in a guild and raid for hours without pause to enjoy the content?

Emitan

Is there an emote system? I've tried messing around with a few commands - just looking for something like a "smile" or a "thanks" that I can give people who help me out.

Are the capital cities those areas you start in after completing the tutorial? Are they marked with a specific symbol or appear as merchants?

Whoa! Thanks for this! :D
When you get out of your tutorial TURN AROUND. Your capital city is behind you. Why you don't actually start the game inside of it I have no idea.

Ferga

How solo-friendly is this game? I read there are area quests, kinda like Warhammer. Do I need to be in a guild and raid for hours without pause to enjoy the content?

It's very solo friendly. Every dynamic/area quest, a load of players will just group up by instinct and help each other.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh man, can't get in. The 1 day head start has begun, right? Apparently I don't have access to it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom