• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this sounds AWESOME.
If I purchase it rght now, can I start playing right away?

Also, how open is the world? Like in TOR, or really open?

World is basically a bunch of instances, you don't transition into zones like in WoW. For example to enter a big city you have to instance in while the outside is it's own. Parts of the cities themselves are instanced from each other as well like some upper and lower regions. Sizes of the instances also vary, some are small sections while some are larger. It's not big and open continents like WoW, and in many cases the instanced zones are smaller than some of TOR's planets. Some areas are fairly good sized though. Story stuff all instances into it's own little area.

Not sure if its been posted...but anyone who wants to have thier minipet out and about be sure to grab an "Invisible Bag" as soon as possible.

All professions, as far as I know, can craft them. For Armorsmith its like 10 copper ignots + 3 piles of glittering dust.

Put the minipet in that bag and it won't get deposited when doing "Deposit All Collectibles".

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't really get the point. Most of the fun in this game is experiencing the content, not leveling.
There are explorers and there are achievers. They want to be the first and it gives them pleasure. As much as I'm taking my time with leveling in GW2, I have no problem with understanding their attitude.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I don't really get the point. Most of the fun in this game is experiencing the content, not leveling.

Well, the plus side to this game is that even at 80 you can go back and get scaled down to do all the content. At no point does leveling lock you out of the content which is neat because in other games, in order to experience all of the content you need to create alts to enjoy other starter zones, etc.

Is there any way to order the digital edition and get in early other than from the official site? I am trying to pay but it keeps saying my credit card information is invalid (it's not).

I can order from Amazon but that doesn't let me even start downloading until midnight.

EDIT: Do they have phone support?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need to start crafting...Where are the crafting people at? I'm an Asura if that's worth anything in terms of helping me out, ha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
World is basically a bunch of instances, you don't transition into zones like in WoW. For example to enter a big city you have to instance in while the outside is it's own. Parts of the cities themselves are instanced from each other as well like some upper and lower regions. Sizes of the instances also vary, some are small sections while some are larger. It's not big and open continents like WoW, and in many cases the instanced zones are smaller than some of TOR's planets. Some areas are fairly good sized though. Story stuff all instances into it's own little area.

I think that is sort of misdefining instances. And also he asked how open the "world" was, by which I think he meant the entired gameworld- which is very open, restricted only by survivability.

For those that think the booster potions offer an unfair advantage, I used a black lion key that I obtained in-game last night (loot drop, quest reward, or something...) and received the exact same potions that you can buy. That coupled with being able to exchange in-game currency for gems, means that you can obtain anything from the Black Lion Trading Company without spending a dime.

Pay attention MMO developers. This is the way you implement an item store in a F2P B2P game!

How are people leveling up so damn fast!!!!?!

I've logged over 25 hours but I'm still level 19. There are people that have put in the same amount of time and are level 30-40+.

I spend most of my time exploring (and basking in awe at the level of detail in some of the environments), crafting, doing events, planning my build, talking to NPCs, doing WvWvW, taking screenshots, helping others, and just plain messing around.

W1SSY

I mentioned this last night in guild chat but it seems like when you encounter a guild mate in the world, your character will turn his head and look at them as you run by. It could have been a weird coincidence but ran into another GAF member and when running by and turning my norn just seemed to focus on the other person.

Kingbrave

One thing I really like so far is how natural and progressive the dynamic events feel compared to other MMO's questing.

Also, damn I suck.

KiteGr

I don't know how the "Guest to other servers" system works, but I've heard that you can enter on as many Guilds as you like. If that's correct, feel free to invite me.

Name: Uneeded Inadequacy
Server: Aurora Glade

BTW
Here is my char...
gw002d.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I really like so far is how natural and progressive the dynamic events feel compared to other MMO's questing.

Also, damn I suck.

I don't see how the dynamic events are any different from public quests or rift events in other games.

I hear they get a lot more involved in the later levels, though.

Kingbrave

I don't see how the dynamic events are any different from public quests or rift events in other games.

I didn't play Rift. I was really comparing it to my 4 or 5 years of WOW. I like that I'm running around and events are happening around me versus stopping and clicking ever five seconds.

They aren't very different, just some have long chains of events that trigger after another. The big difference is that events are pretty much the whole questing experience of the game instead of just something else that happens in the world that you can participate in. The only more traditional questing in the game is the personal story stuff.

I think that is sort of misdefining instances. And also he asked how open the "world" was, by which I think he meant the entired gameworld- which is very open, restricted only by survivability.

Eh not misdefining anything. The world is a bunch of instances with each even having it's own overflow possible even, and having loading screens between them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't very different, just some have long chains of events that trigger after another. The big difference is that events are pretty much the whole questing experience of the game instead of just something else that happens in the world that you can participate in.

I hear that grinding events is the most efficient way to level, but to me, that sounds like just about the most unappealing thing ever.

In the human starting area, I did every event I encountered once just to complete it. They were universally chaotic and huge clusterfucks. I earned far more experience doing everything else in the game (heart quests, gathering, crafting, exploring).

This game. This damn game soooo good.

I love the world, I love the events (specially the group events, although they can be a bit unsubstancial when there's so many ppl that the game can't even balance it) and I love how good it looks. Probably not the best looking MMO out there, but the one with the best art direction.

QDl1j.jpg

S4wig.jpg

aTbXA.jpg

I hear that grinding events is the most efficient way to level, but to me, that sounds like just about the most unappealing thing ever.

In the human starting area, I did every event I encountered once just to complete it. They were universally chaotic and huge clusterfucks. I earned far more experience doing everything else in the game (heart quests, gathering, crafting, exploring).

Well game just launched and early events are pretty small. Later level stuff has less players than the starting zones and some larger events so it does improve a bit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I stepped away from the human farm area and did some events and it was about a million times more fun. There are just too many people in that starting area but once you explore a bit there's a ton to do.

Level 25 hunter (I wish I didn't choose a hunter as all their skills are quite boring and or useless) and I must say I am enjoying this game. It's like a fancier and better rift. What I don't like about it is the lack of skill tree or skills period. I mean I am level 25 and I can use my 4 bow skills that show up on my weapon slot (pretty much just shooting) and set 2 traps if I want (I use an aura that makes me run 10 percent faster instead of traps). I probably just chose a boring class as I always do accidentally.

Question: after I put 10 points into one of the traits, it won't let me add anymore... Even though it shows different bonuses available for adding 15, 20 ect. Is this normal?

Level 25 hunter (I wish I didn't choose a hunter as all their skills are quite boring and or useless) and I must say I am enjoying this game. It's like a fancier and better rift. What I don't like about it is the lack of skill tree or skills period. I mean I am level 25 and I can use my 4 bow skills that show up on my weapon slot (pretty much just shooting) and set 2 traps if I want (I use an aura that makes me run 10 percent faster instead of traps). I probably just chose a boring class as I always do accidentally.

Question: after I put 10 points into one of the traits, it won't let me add anymore... Even though it shows different bonuses available for adding 15, 20 ect. Is this normal?

I think you need to buy the next manual from the profession NPC.

This game. This damn game soooo good.

I love the world, I love the events (specially the group events, although they can be a bit unsubstancial when there's so many ppl that the game can even balance it) and I love how good it looks. Probably not the best looking MMO out there, but the one with the best art direction.

Screenshots cannot do this game justice. The art direction is amazing and there are so many little details. Every area feels hand crafted.

Too bad there is no dynamic weather, but at least there are varying weathering conditions in some zones. I wish the characters didn't feel so flat though. It seems like they have a really low poly count. That said, the detail in the armor is really good, so it kind of balances out.

Zafir

I've logged over 25 hours but I'm still level 19. There are people that have put in the same amount of time and are level 30-40+.

I spend most of my time exploring (and basking in awe at the level of detail in some of the environments), crafting, doing events, planning my build, talking to NPCs, doing WvWvW, taking screenshots, helping others, and just plain messing around.
I'm at about 30 hours(Wet UK weekend with nothing else to do) and at level 25. Spent quite a bit of time doing spvp and just exploring.

They probably figured out some good grinding spots. Found a good grinding spot in west kessex hills, theres 3 events which just loop around. I assume there's more like that and they'll have made use of them to get to 60.

Mastamind

I think you need to buy the next manual from the profession NPC.

Manuals have minimum levels, I think the second one is level 40.

If you dont like ranger, create a few characters and take them into spvp to try them out until you find one you like.

Manuals have minimum levels, I think the second one is level 40.

If you dont like ranger, create a few characters and take them into spvp to try them out until you find one you like.

This is going to sound stupid but what is spvp? Battlegrounds? I was sort of on a media blackout from this game.

KingKong

I'm really loving warrior compared to thief. They just feel so much more powerful and have way cooler skills. I'm rocking two axes and the Whirling Axe skill is so awesome

eznark

Banned
Is there a sort of go-to database of good builds for classes? I'm sort of brain locked on my necro build. I have a bunch of points just sitting there.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't you? To get the skills that need 3 points or 6 points? I bought a manual for something lol

Manual is for traits only. You unlock the higher skill tiers by buying like 5 of the previous tier skills.

Is there a sort of go-to database of good builds for classes? I'm sort of brain locked on my necro build. I have a bunch of points just sitting there.

Just try stuff.. isn't like you can't respec.

Mastamind

Don't you? To get the skills that need 3 points or 6 points? I bought a manual for something lol

The manual is for traits, the ones that unlocked at lvl 11 and you can only put 10 points into a trait line until you get the second manual. Slot skills (utility skills) unlock when you put enough points into the previous tiers, except the elite which you need to be level 30 to unlock.

Screenshots cannot do this game justice. The art direction is amazing and there are so many little details. Every area feels hand crafted.

Too bad there is no dynamic weather, but at least there are varying weathering conditions in some zones. I wish the characters didn't feel so flat though. It seems like they have a really low poly count. That said, the detail in the armor is really good, so it kind of balances out.

Agreed about the dynamic weather. I think they followed the priorities they set up on GW, more detail on scenarios, lower polycount on characters. I'm kinda ok with that seeing that sometimes there so much stuff on the screen.

SalomonA

Okay I've decided to really look into my "fps problem".

gw003.jpg

My settings, as shown above, are set at high/medium, and as you can see, im getting 33fps with my:

Gtx 570
Phenom II 965 @ 3,4 ghz
4gb ddr3 1333 ram
650w corsair psu

Is this normal? My system never gets hot when im playing (it's nowhere near like during BF3-sessions) and that's kinda wierd if you ask me. I mean, shouldn't the system push itself to get the maximum fps, and therefore get hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom