• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Running the game on my MBPr and I can get 60fps with 2880x1800 but everything is on low, I just run it at 1600x1050 with everything on medium and I get 60+ fps. It's has a 650m 1gb. Game still looks great at medium graphics IMO.

Valnen

woo got my code.

created character. Entered game.

default settings getting me ~23fps

T_T

Even with 'high performance' setting im getting 30fps... :(

Surely my gtx 460 can handle this (c2q 9550 shouldn't be too shabby). Which settings should i mess around with?

Any specific drivers i needa get?
What sort of processor do you have? This game is more processor intensive than a lot of other games.

kaioshade

woo got my code.

created character. Entered game.

default settings getting me ~23fps

T_T

Even with 'high performance' setting im getting 30fps... :(

Surely my gtx 460 can handle this (c2q 9550 shouldn't be too shabby). Which settings should i mess around with?

Any specific drivers i needa get?

There seems to be a Nvidia problem with this game. There have been a series of 306 drivers posted (beta) give those a shot. Some users are reporting some prety good FPS increases.

mackaveli

Anyone have problems buying the game on the guildwars2 website?

My brother bought the game on Saturday I think and never got the download code (has kept checking his email to no avail) so he can't download the game. And currently has an open ticket waiting for a response.

Is he pretty much screwed and just has to wait till someone finally gets back to him on the issue?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When does this officially launch? Tonight at midnight? I got screwed by pre-ordering from Green Man after the 17th, so they wouldn't give me a head start code.

JudgeN

So where is the best place to get fat loot? WvW or just PvE? Only level 11 but seems like the best gear I can find is crafted. Just wondering if their is a low level dungeon I can run or something?

Ferrio

Banned
So where is the best place to get fat loot? WvW or just PvE? Only level 11 but seems like the best gear I can find is crafted. Just wondering if their is a low level dungeon I can run or something?

Random mobs, Karma vendors. And no there's no lvl 11 dungeon. And why is it bad the best gear you can find is craftable... that's a good thing! Useful crafts!

Spookie

Random mobs, Karma vendors. And no there's no lvl 11 dungeon. And why is it bad the best gear you can find is craftable... that's a good thing! Useful crafts!

Can't emphasise this enough. Spend your Karma there is some great loot on vendors.

accx

So i'm looking into getting this game. Where would the cheapest place to be? I'm located in Europe and digital version is fine.

I'm torn between which class i want to play.
I like fast characters (in terms of attacks and movement speed), and i also enjoy debuff classes.
Small, instant and a lot of stacking dots is what's most fun. I prefer ranged rather than melee but either is fine.

Okay, a couple of questions while I am not playing the game (which is amazing):

1) When do I start getting cooler loot then I began with? I'm not that high level of course (around 15 or so) but their hasn't been much aside from the basic weapons and two sets of armor that look the same? Is it through dungeons at 30? Personal quests?

2) I noticed in WvW, that to build siege equipment, you need to either pay money (which I don't want to do as I'm broke) or use tokens. How do I get tokens? I noticed them going up after I had participated in WvW a bit but I'm not entirely sure as to how.

dot

Jump puzzles remind me of the old Maple Story jump quests, except that now they're actually completable. MS jump quests were, simply put, the worst thing EVER.

Hehe, just saw this. They remind you of Maple's JQs? I need to do a jump puzzle soon then. Maple's jump quests weren't that bad. :p

Also, what do i do with armor that is unusable for my profession? Do i just salvage them? This game can be a bit overwhelming.

Deitus

That sounds pretty suspicous, and not just because Mike O'Brien called it out. According to what they have told us, maxing out a craft will grant you about 10 level ups, so by getting all crafts to the max level you can absolutely level up from 1-80 just by crafting. You do need to pay money to switch crafts, but that can be overcome with a guild effort, which is what they are saying this was.

However, you need crafting materials to level up a craft. The 1-45 crafting materials were probably not a big deal. But where would he have gotten the level 70+ crafting materials? As the article says, he is the first person to hit the level cap, so there couldn't be any level 70+ players giving him crafting materials. And low level crafts stop giving exp at a certain point, so you would hit a wall where you couldn't level up further until you got better materials. I guess his guild mates could have been going on suicide runs to gather materials in the level 70+ zones... but that sounds a little far fetched. Unless the exp from crafting was significantly higher than 10 levels per craft maxed, I just don't see this as being possible until other people hit the cap.

Whether he was intentionally exploiting a bug, or the exp for crafting was accidentally way higher than intended, there is definitely something about that story that doesn't match up with what ArenaNet have said regarding crafting.

Drinkel

Wow didn't know I was playing on the EU GafGuild server.

I feel that the difficulty of monsters in PVE is quite uneven. When facing a same level monster it seems like sometimes I absolutely destroy them and other times I barely make it out. Maybe it's by design but I feel I don't have any clue of how much I can handle. Playing a mesmer is damn fun though.

What sort of processor do you have? This game is more processor intensive than a lot of other games.
like i said, c2q 9550 stock clock. it's a bit old, but haven't really done me wrong yet.

There seecms to be a Nvidia problem with this game. There have been a series of 306 drivers posted (beta) give those a shot. Some users are reporting some prety good FPS increases.

k, will do. Link would be great, unless it's something i can search on geforce?

kaioshade

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't understand people who desperately scramble to hit the level cap, how is that fun?

Must be fun for them. People play all sorts of games differently (ie; people that rush through Mario games and people that collect everything in Mario games). Doesn't surprise me that people are playing for two days straight and reaching level cap.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow didn't know I was playing on the EU GafGuild server.

I feel that the difficulty of monsters in PVE is quite uneven. When facing a same level monster it seems like sometimes I absolutely destroy them and other times I barely make it out. Maybe it's by design but I feel I don't have any clue of how much I can handle. Playing a mesmer is damn fun though.

Some monsters have attributes and stuff (anti poison etc), and some are just damn evil. Some scorpians I were fighting with I'd kill easily... but then their poison lasts like 15 seconds so you sit there slowly dying way after you've killed them.

Must be fun for them. People play all sorts of games differently (ie; people that rush through Mario games and people that collect everything in Mario games). Doesn't surprise me that people are playing for two days straight and reaching level cap.

I dunno, a Mario game and an MMORPG are completely different, the latter is all about offering this vast amount of content, and with people just blitzing through and explotiing bugs and whatnot just to hit the cap is strange to me

KingKong

Where are the best Karma vendors? The heart NPCs werent selling anything that great, should I be looking in the cities or where?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ok, I'm kind of stuck when it comes to jewel crating. I crafted pretty much every earring and ring combo for the starter jewels (garnet, pearl, turquoise, amber etc.), and I'm not a high enough level for the more rarer jewels I've been finding (level 37 crafting). So uh, how do I level up my jewel crafting now? I can't make any more crafting components besides the copper ones.

I also upgraded my thief so he can have the shadowstep ability that's not tied to attacks. It's pretty great, and you can take some shortcuts up mountains or other frustrating areas as well.

You get exp from crafting already-known stuff too, not just discovering. You'll have to make duplicates until you hit the next tier, if I understand your problem correctly :p

Ferrio

Banned
Where are the best Karma vendors? The heart NPCs werent selling anything that great, should I be looking in the cities or where?

Heart vendors are the only ones who sell karma gear. If you haven't found anything good.. then you're appropriately geared.

inky

Going to try the new beta drivers (306.02). I tried forcing AA with the last ones but it didn't seem to be working. Apparently AO is now working in this release as well.

I haven't spent any karma yet. I'm doing zones 2-3 levels over me too with only found drops. Better save for dat lvl 80 stuff :p

chiablo

There was one at the end of the Ghost Pirate jumping puzzle in Lion's Arch that was selling some kick ass gear for nearly 10k karma. It's level 40 gear, but it was amazing.

zlatko

Banned

When is a good time to start buying shit from karma vendors? Glad I read this thread here at work lol. I was ignoring merchants aside from just selling junk items. xD

JudgeN

Nothing wrong i'm just a little lazy, want that kill shit; open chest; get fat loot. I have been getting some stuff form karma vendors so guess that's good enough for now.

Anyone know what level PvE Dungeons start?

BearPawB

Banned
PvE - wise, how's the difficulty? Has anyone actually died from PvE?

i have definitely died. Mostly from jumping puzzles. But if you get too many guys on you dying is easy.

If you are going alone, dying is possible. much harder to die with a friend.

zlatko

Banned

I died at level 4 trying to tackle a level 7 Skill challenge quest. Couldn't complete it with a level 7 player there as well. Only time I've actually died.

When you go down in this game, if you didn't already know, you get 5 new skills that pop up as you lay on your back that you can use/cycle through to try to get you back on your feet. One of the ones I can do as Necromancer is Fear to send enemies running away, then use life force to steal their health to get myself back in the game.

Fun mechanic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I think the NPCs at the heart locations sell karma gear. That's where I've seen them at least.

E: I'm just afraid to spend mine. I don't want to buy something only to find something SUPER awesome shortly after! On top of that, I still haven't settled on what weapon I like most as a Necro.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Pretty sure my first death didn't come until level 15+...fighting this fire elemental boss who completely decimated about 20 guys trying to take it down.

Come to think of it, all of my character's deaths have only happened when fighting bosses in large groups. Much harder to dodge / predict mob behavior when there are 5+ people on top of it.

It's fucking hard, some of the boss types can easily 2 shot you even as a warrior with toughness traits. Need to use the healing spell for any encounter that isn't 1v1 and thats quite often.

JonCha

Don't understand how people can call this a grind. The Heart events are the only areas where I've felt a slight grind, after exclusively exploring and not doing the Personal Story and PvP/WvW. Quickly rectified that problem doing my Personal Story and fighting enemies that are on my level.

Incidentally, do you earn less experience for fighting lower level enemies than yourself?

V_Arnold

Many times! There are great places with Veteran mobs and 3+ groups - if you do not tackle the fight properly, you WILL die, and even the best maintained gear will not save you from mistakes when you did not use the dodge or defensive CD's.

As a Guardian, my main issue is when I encounter mobs that walk in groups of three, and when pulling them, one always leaps behind (is a ranger), one starts whirlwinding, and only one stays in melee range. THAT is difficult to handle, especially if I pull someone else accidentally in the battle. Not impossible, not very hard, but you need to focus to never die.

And, of course, event bosses hit hard. I have had fights where I resurrected 50+ people in 5-6 minutes.

Rorschach

Pretty sure my first death didn't come until level 15+...fighting this fire elemental boss who completely decimated about 20 guys trying to take it down.

Come to think of it, all of my character's deaths have only happened when fighting bosses in large groups. Much harder to dodge / predict mob behavior when there are 5+ people on top of it.

That's the only time I died. That giant fire hand, right? Dude took out a crap load of people and then others kept bringing random mobs with them as they ran to the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom