• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Okay I've decided to really look into my "fps problem".

Have you tried turning reflections a bit down? AFAIK that is the most consuming setting right there. It's a weird thing this game, everyone gets different results even with the same specs.

mik83kuu

Banned
This game has so far lived up and surpassed all my expectations. I am currently running around rhe Asura starting zone as a level 35 norn guardin in full cultural gear looking like a fucking badass :)

Okay I've decided to really look into my "fps problem".

25hzh8w.jpg

My settings, as shown above, are set at high/medium, and as you can see, im getting 33fps with my:

Gtx 570
Phenom II 965 @ 3,4 ghz
4gb ddr3 1333 ram
650w corsair psu

Is this normal? My system never gets hot when im playing (it's nowhere near like during BF3-sessions) and that's kinda wierd if you ask me. I mean, shouldn't the system push itself to get the maximum fps, and therefore get hot?

What drivers are you using? I'm using 304.79 (beta) and performance has been stellar. I get a solid 60-80+ in instances and low population areas and 30-50 during large dynamic events or WvWvW skirmishes with tons of players on screen.

Someone mentioned something about these drivers having faulty fan profiles or something but I monitored during over 25 hours of play this weekend using NVIDIA Inspector and never noticed a problem. Rock solid, for me.

Do you have supersampling enabled? That has a pretty decent negative impact on performance.

AMD Phenom X6 1090T BE @ 4.2Ghz
MSI GTX 670 OC

zlatko

Banned
Here's me at work right now when I looked up at what time it is, and then of course I realized I still have classes tonight. I just wanna play some GW2. :(

i0VKLefJWmNmd.gif

Ferrio

Banned
Is it expensive?

Grand scheme of things no. Also you can go to PvP and you have everything unlocked and you can play with stuff there.

This game has so far lived up and surpassed all my expectations. I am currently running around rhe Asura starting zone as a level 35 norn guardin in full cultural gear looking like a fucking badass :)

When can you get cultural gear?

Also what's the best dye you've guys found? I got "Silver" which was a nice catch.

SalomonA

Have you tried turning reflections a bit down? AFAIK that is the most consuming setting right there. It's a weird thing this game, everyone gets different results even with the same specs.

Turned it off compleyely. Gained about 3 fps, nothing more. The funny thing is that i tried, in the same area as the pic, to lower the settings as much as possible as I clicked the "best performance" option, and even then I couldn't get a solid 60fps. It only wet up to 50-52ish. It's really, really wierd.

What drivers are you using? I'm using 304.79 (beta) and performance has been stellar. I get a solid 60-80+ in instances and low population areas and 30-50 during large dynamic events or WvWvW skirmishes with tons of players on screen.

Someone mentioned something about these drivers having faulty fan profiles or something but I monitored during over 25 hours of play this weekend using NVIDIA Inspector and never noticed a problem. Rock solid, for me.

Do you have supersampling enabled? That has a pretty decent negative impact on performance.

AMD Phenom X6 1090T BE @ 4.2Ghz
MSI GTX 670 OC

Im using the 305.67 beta drivers and the best performance option in the nvidia settings menu. Well during WvWvWs i get 15fps during battles. 15. Supersampling off.
Im almost never able to get over 45-50 fps, only in like narrow dungeons, but in a relatively open enviroment, it gets fucked up.

Really annoying, and I don't know what to do.

KingKong

I really really love the bank collection and usable items in Hero tab features. it is such a huge quality of life improvement.

maybe I missed it, but is there a way to combine bags? (so I see everything as one big grid instead of divided into bags), is there a way to mod the UI at all to do this?

mackattk

I really really love the bank collection and usable items in Hero tab features. it is such a huge quality of life improvement.

I love the way the bank/bagging system works. Deposit all collectibles, salvage the rest, then deposit all again. The only other MMORPG I played was WoW, and bags were a constant nuisance. In this game I don't really need to be concerned with storage, but maybe that will change later...

Only thing I wish they would do is allow vendors that sell armor/weapons to be able to repair equipment.

Vossler

Just for reference, I have a 2500k oc'd to 4.2 and an Asus 670 TOP edition. I run everything at max, including supersampling at or near 60 fps, with drops occurring in large fights. Other than that, it's been flawless.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your comment and your avatar went together perfectly. ahaha

I'm gonna use that guide too when i get into crafting. Seems really nice.

That's about how I felt when I opened it!

I can't decide if I want to master all crafts on my main or not. :| I guess it depends on if the stuff for the legendary equips are going to trade enabled or not.

ShaneB

maybe I missed it, but is there a way to combine bags? (so I see everything as one big grid instead of divided into bags), is there a way to mod the UI at all to do this?

It only dawned on me late yesterday to resize the bag window. Before I was annoyed that everything was small and moving stuff around was a pain, and then *light bulb* 'oh wait, I can resize this window, and just made it massive. It's not exactly putting it as all one bag, but it's close enough.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah, my classes started on saturday, the same day that I was able to play it... ugh

I started last Monday, but I work from 5:30AM, and don't get home from school till 9PM most nights. All my free time is readily going into a new girlfriend too, so this weekend I only got Sunday night for about 3 hours with the game. :(

proxy

How I felt when she told me she wants to hang out all this holiday weekend at her place.

As a Thief, is weaponsmithing worth it? My main is Leatherworking and I have no interest in Jewelry crafting, especially since my wife will be doing that anyway.

I kind of want to replace weaponsmithing with cooking. It looks like a lot of fun.

zlatko

Banned
As a Thief, is weaponsmithing worth it? My main is Leatherworking and I have no interest in Jewelry crafting, especially since my wife will be doing that anyway.

I kind of want to replace weaponsmithing with cooking. It looks like a lot of fun.

Speaking of this, what are some good crafts for a necromancer, and for an engineer?

I thought my necro could do:

Tailor(light armors right?) and Jewelcrafting

Engineer could do:

Weapon smith

Leather work

Trey

Is it expensive?

It's based on your "skill level" according to the in-game NPC, which I assume correlates to your level. I'm lvl32 and re-traiting would cost me a little over 1 silver. Relative to the areas I'm at in the game and the kind of money I come across, that's cheap. I assume it would be an immaterial amount at low levels as well.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Is this normal? My system never gets hot when im playing (it's nowhere near like during BF3-sessions) and that's kinda wierd if you ask me. I mean, shouldn't the system push itself to get the maximum fps, and therefore get hot?

Try turning down your reflections to Terrain & Sky. I got a pretty significant boost when I did that.

mackattk

You dont loose any progress by switching trades. It does cost some money to do the switch, but it isn't too expensive.

TopDreg

I'm from Ehmry Bay. To all the people from Stormbluff Isle on here, shame on you for taking advantage of WvWvW while we all went to sleep.

Ashodin

Hey guys I'm back up! Ahhh, a good rest.

How is everyone doing? Addicted yet? :p

I'm from Ehmry Bay. To all the people from Stormbluff Isle on here, shame on you for taking advantage of WvWvW while we all went to sleep.

Not out fault we intentionally built our server with round the clock inhabitants. We crush you!

Thoraxes

You know you can buy XP boosts, movement speed boosts, and gain extra XP through cooking food too, right?

I think it's very plausible to get that high that fast of you spend the money.

You dont loose any progress by switching trades. It does cost some money to do the switch, but it isn't too expensive.

That's true. I thought I read somewhere that it was like 30-40 silver though? Does it scale with your profession or crafting level? That seems like a lot of money for me right now. >_<

Wasn't really feeling my Mesmer main but I just equipped a new greatsword and all of a sudden he got way more interesting. Got a little bit of AoE now, a knockback, and good damage output. Definitely my favourite of the weapon skills so far.

kn1ves24

This is a fairly noob question but are there any benefits to joining a Guild if all I'm primarily going to play is the PvE stuff? The WvW stuff sounds cool but as it is right now I'm far too green for this type of game to be of any help in that.

I don't want to say that I'm a casual player, but there's no way I could put in the kinda time that some of you guys have put in to far. I'm also fairly noobish to MMO's in general but I'm really digging this one. So I guess what I'm asking is, once the guild invites are working would there be any benefit for me to join the gaf guild and vice versa?

SalomonA

Wasn't really feeling my Mesmer main but I just equipped a new greatsword and all of a sudden he got way more interesting. Got a little bit of AoE now, a knockback, and good damage output. Definitely my favourite of the weapon skills so far.

Combine that with a sword and torch in your second set and you're good to go ;)

zlatko

Banned
Hey guys I'm back up! Ahhh, a good rest.

How is everyone doing? Addicted yet? :p

Not out fault we intentionally built our server with round the clock inhabitants. We crush you!

The man, the myth, the legend! Where have you been to not post in the OKC thread mother fucker?

I really like greatsword for playing by myself, and staff for groups. The group buff/enemy debuff circle is amazing.

Vodh

Did you try out the Necromancer? My mesmer experience was similar to yours, wasn't feeling it too much until I found a greatsword which made things quite a bit better, but still nowhere near the fun I'm having on my Necro (and Engineer too, to a lesser extent).

Been playing my Asura Engineer called Brewnell most of the day, im enjoying this so far, a bit of a change to the standard mmo fair. Not sure if the great IKB would like me altering his name and being a little purple-ish dude with a big black afro though.

Mothman91

Wow, I finally found the cave some people were talking about earlier. Don't do shit, and get free exp/karma. And that area is "barrens chat" pretty much. Arguing if it was an exploit or not, mama jokes, you're a fag, etc etc.

Ashodin

Wow, I finally found the cave some people were talking about earlier. Don't do shit, and get free exp/karma. And that area is "barrens chat" pretty much. Arguing if it was an exploit or not, mama jokes, you're a fag, etc etc.

I'm pretty sure that is slower EXP than actually adventuring though. It's slow but steady EXP, but it's still slower. And absolutely BORING.

zlatko

Banned
I've been banned, motherfucker!

I am indeed the legend son. But that is another story.

LoSug.jpg

What's in your backpack?

Well I knew you were banzored, but now that you have returned, update us in OKC for you and the woman.

Hopefully we can hit up some GW2 together now that it's out and we both have it wooh. :D

ShaneB

This is a fairly noob question but are there any benefits to joining a Guild if all I'm primarily going to play is the PvE stuff? The WvW stuff sounds cool but as it is right now I'm far too green for this type of game to be of any help in that.

I don't want to say that I'm a casual player, but there's no way I could put in the kinda time that some of you guys have put in to far. I'm also fairly noobish to MMO's in general but I'm really digging this one. So I guess what I'm asking is, once the guild invites are working would there be any benefit for me to join the gaf guild and vice versa?

If nothing else, it's just a nice social hub, guild chat will be helpful, people giving away items to those who need it, and it's just an extra layer of social activity in the game, same with being on Mumble and chatting with others and enjoying the best part about an MMO, the people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom