• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, if you're not yet in the guild (due to the invite bugs or otherwise), you can still get on Mumble. You do need to be on Mumble for the tour, I won't be typing :p

Ironically enough, if you're owed an invite and do come on the tour, apparently sending and accepting invites works while IN WvW.

Is 8:00PM okay for those interested?

Hawk I'll hop on mumble and help you out with this man. Would really like a more stable group of people to WwW with. Got about 7 that we run with now on a nightly basis and adding to that number will only make the experience better.

Kingbrave

Hawk I'll hop on mumble and help you out with this man. Would really like a more stable group of people to WwW with. Got about 7 that we run with now on a nightly basis and adding to that number will only make the experience better.

I'm game, it looked fun but I just didn't really know what to do. A group would seem to help so much.

Kimaka

Remember, if you're not yet in the guild (due to the invite bugs or otherwise), you can still get on Mumble. You do need to be on Mumble for the tour, I won't be typing :p

Ironically enough, if you're owed an invite and do come on the tour, apparently sending and accepting invites works while IN WvW.

I'll join. WvW seems interesting but a bit overwhelming for me to just jump right into. I think 8:00pm is fine.

RossCo

Neo Member
What I don't like about how Arenanet handles the game is the absolute lack of patch notes, informations during downtimes etc. I wanna know what they're about to fix :/

With the rate they are turning patches around I'm not suprised there arent notes at the moment. Asking a programmer who has not slept in a couple of days and has just checked in his work to write up a brief description of the change beore he goes home can make them, well, bitey.

Besides, they need to be rewritten for publishing. No one wants to see "Fixed Daves stupid guild invite array overflow, and when I find Dave I am going to punch him in his stupid vacationing face."

I'm sure once the rate of change comes down and they can sensibly compile user readable patch notes they will be published.

I'm game, it looked fun but I just didn't really know what to do. A group would seem to help so much.

Without a group you sometimes have to play "follow the zerg" but when you have enough people in there to be the massive group of people running around its a whole new experience complete with tactics, group combat, and even some one on one opportunities.

With the rate they are turning patches around I'm not suprised there arent notes at the moment. Asking a programmer who has not slept in a couple of days and has just checked in his work to write up a brief description of the change beore he goes home can make them, well, bitey.

Besides, they need to be rewritten for publishing. No one wants to see "Fixed Daves stupid guild invite array overflow, and when I find Dave I am going to punch him in his stupid vacationing face."

I'm sure once the rate of change comes down and they can sensibly compile user readable patch notes they will be published.

Or they could let a community manager or something handle the patch notes.

KooPaL

I just want to be able to party with people and learn. I am level 10 know my class but then the structure around questing and how to instance is still vague haha.

It's the first week, there us no baseline to establish 'like' servers yet

Well, it is the first round, so no matchmaking helps other, this round is just random. We shall see what the next pairings bring.

Ah, I thought after it reset that it did a check then, is it every 2 weeks? I thought in the BWE's they had it set to 12 or 24 hours or maybe I just read that somewhere. Didn't get to try it out much in the betas to be honest.

Great! That's already enough of a group that I'd be happy to do it tonight.

I'll be free basically any time after ~8:00PM EST. What time would be good for you guys?

That's good for me, I'll do my best but things might come up (planning for a 2 week vacation and leave this Saturday) but I'm pretty open for times.

Nightz

Haven't touched WvW yet so I'm interested. Unfortunately I won't be home from work yet. I get home an hour later.

Ashodin

staffebonjis4q.png

Ebonhawke Staff. So good. New Paint Job too!

nataku

Did anyone else get a notice from ANet that someone requested your password be reset?

Somebody (hopefully you!) asked to reset the password on your Guild Wars account.

To change your password, click the link below.

*URL here*

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

--The ArenaNet Team

While we're waiting. Are there any settings in the game I can adjust to get better framerate in WvWvW? When playing solo and without a lot of characters on screen, I get around 45-50 fps but it drops a lot in large battles with all settings maxed. I still want to have a nice looking game, but I wonder if there is some setting that has a huge impact on fps without losing too much visual sweetness?

alternade

Im very interested! Im in love with the game but it seems that trying to find "action" is hard when your lower level. Where do we meet?

If you can add me my name is: boyoverboard.5293

accx

]Wait WHAT?! How? It's just clicking and unclicking the right mouse button O.O [/B]

Pinnacle is very powreful but very not free. And I've already paid money for a product that lets you use a gamepad (Total Game Control) which I finally abandoned for the legacy version of Xpadder we're using in the main package.

Well its a type of automation that is not supported by the game and would be considered using 3-party software.
If its detect however is anyone's guess and i would actually talk to Arenanet before posting it so people wont get banned.
You can actually set up some pretty nifty bots using AHK (just look at D3) and i'm guessing Arenanet doesn't condone using bots.

The link i posted said that you should use the pinnacle profile with free camera off (or on, whichever is not default). Maybe that would be something you could look into without having to use AHK?
I would be cautious about using AHK (like i said, it's heavily used for setting up bot scripts).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's better but not a "WoW killer". It'll be just behind WoW.

The big reason it won't kill WoW is because MMO players seem to prefer skinner boxes to actual fun. It's bizarre to see people trying to game the leveling in GW2, considering gaming the system is considerably less fun than just playing the damn game.

WoW has done a great job of programming players to believe filling bars is more important than having fun.

Didn't play much on my main yesterday. I decided to create the rest of my characters before the flood gates open and spent about 30 minutes to an hour with each class, but I think I'm still undecided on one.

Here is what I have so far:

Kuroshiro - Human/Male, Thief (Main)
Kuroshi Nightingale - Human/Male, Warrior
Scarlet Ashcroft - Human/Female, Elementalist
Alicia Valentine - Human/Female, Necromancer
Alice Drake - Human/Female, Mesmar

I'm still undecided on Mesmar. I'm not sure I like the concept of automatically creating clones of myself and then blowing them up for different effects. Do they get any other interesting abilities from their weapons? How is greatsword Mesmar gameplay?

I'm considering rolling the Mesmar character as a Guardian instead. Since I already have a Warrior, how does Guardian greatsword, and sword and shield gameplay compare to a Warrior's? How different are the abilities?

How do you do this?

Think you click on your friend's portrait and there's an option. I haven't done it personally.

This doesn't work. Most of the time I either get a network error and when it does work it just teleports you to the same area on the map. It doesn't change what overflow server you are on.

The whole overflow thing has been extremely annoying for playing together with other people you know, but I guess it beats the alternative of sitting in a queue not doing anything for hours. I just wish they would have programmed it to place all party members into the same overflow server at all times.

Did anyone else get a notice from ANet that someone requested your password be reset?

I didn't, but reading that name thread on reddit made me question the security they have in place. Many people seemed to have been hacked. Although this could be user stupidity just as much as poor security. I would personally like an authenticator.

Mumble hard to setup?
Just download the client and I believe the server info is in the OP somewhere. Then just join the channel we are in and I can walk you through setting up push to talk (is easy to do)

Haven't touched WvW yet so I'm interested. Unfortunately I won't be home from work yet. I get home an hour later.

Its fine if you aren't there at exactly the right time we will probably be going for a while.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We can make it 9:00PM EST; there will be a little bit of waiting as people queue to get in, as well, so hopefully you can make it. Is that time okay with everybody?

I'm going to make a thread on GAFguild regarding this. Please pop over and post if you'd like to attend tonight! Remember, you don't need to actually be in the Guild yet (though if you're on the spreadsheet, I should be able to add you from WITHIN wvw), but you will need Mumble at least to listen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
9PM should work for me. Assume we're meeting at StormBluff Isle keep of WvW right?

The Citadel of the Stormbluff Isle Borderlands, yep.

That's our "home turf," to those who don't know.

The other two borderlands belong to each other server, and the center map starts out unclaimed.

edit: It's still down? Wow, they really don't want people to play when I can't. I've had like 15 minutes of total downtime since the headstart began.

ItAintEasy
(is easy to do)

Heh.

Speaking of Mumble. I got my X12 and having a little issue with it. I notice there is Chat and Game volume on the headset dongle but I can only ever control 'everything' with the Game volume.

3 cords
1 USB for power
1 to mic plug on my PC (on board sound, not my sound card)
1 to the headphone jack on my speaker, which is plugged into my sound card)

Am I just missing a setting or something?

EDIT: 6PM PST/9PM EST sounds fine for me, I'll try my best to be on and there. FYI I would que about 30-45 minutes before the start time, at least that's how long it has taken me the last day or so.

ss_lemonade

Finally got my boxed copy! Unfortunately I'm stuck at work :(.

Can I install the game on the laptop I'm using right now, grab all the necessary updates, then copy the game file/s (Gw2.dat?) to a flash drive so I can jump right in once I get home?

I didn't, but reading that name thread on reddit made me question the security they have in place. Many people seemed to have been hacked. Although this could be user stupidity just as much as poor security. I would personally like an authenticator.

It's amazing they didn't have an authenticator available at launch.

ChuckNyce

The other two borderlands belong to each other server, and the center map starts out unclaimed.

edit: It's still down? Wow, they really don't want people to play when I can't. I've had like 15 minutes of total downtime since the headstart began.

Sweet, that should work for me. I'm "Jet Spike", Norn Warrior.

alternade

Ummmmm, where?

EU servers down for two hours now. I have no idea how to spend my time.

EDIT: eh, still not in. I got to the character menu for the first time in hours but it disconnected immediately.

Finally fought the Giant in Diesa. Man was that a blast. It's amazing though how few people bothered doing dodges, as is evident by the dead people around it. Meanwhile, I noticed myself and 10 or so other Engineers, not dying once to the groundstomp. At one point, we were all rolling in unison, like a damn dance troupe.

Coolwhip

Banned
With Wow I was hooked day 1, I don't have the same feeling with GW2 sadly. Something is missing in the experience for me but I can't put my finger on it.

eznark

Banned

Sweet, I'll start queuing as soon as I get home, hopefully I can get in this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom