• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This doesn't work. Most of the time I either get a network error and when it does work it just teleports you to the same area on the map. It doesn't change what overflow server you are on.

The whole overflow thing has been extremely annoying for playing together with other people you know, but I guess it beats the alternative of sitting in a queue not doing anything for hours. I just wish they would have programmed it to place all party members into the same overflow server at all times.

It does work sometimes. I've found that if we haven't already been in the same instance with each other it doesn't work at all. So if you go into a city without overflow you can find each other, then exit at the same time. If you're not placed into the same overflow then selecting Join In seems to work although not 100% of the time.

Moaradin

Finally fought the Giant in Diesa. Man was that a blast. It's amazing though how few people bothered doing dodges, as is evident by the dead people around it. Meanwhile, I noticed myself and 10 or so other Engineers, not dying once to the groundstomp. At one point, we were all rolling in unison, like a damn dance troupe.

That fight heavily favors range weapons. You can simply outrange the stomp and shoot from a distance. The stomp is pretty much the only thing you gotta worry about in that fight, and it can be pretty hard to dodge it when the server is lagging pretty hard.

With Wow I was hooked day 1, I don't have the same feeling with GW2 sadly. Something is missing in the experience for me but I can't put my finger on it.

Complete opposite for me. My time with WoW, while enjoyable, was more along the lines of "there's not much better to play in terms of MMO". With GW2, I could never go back to WoW, no matter how many times they retool their talent system.

Stuart444

Has anyone tried the Cultural Armor (Tier 1/2/3)? The preview window makes them look nice but my character is still 20 levels away from even trying any of them >_>

Palmer_v1

Remember, if you're not yet in the guild (due to the invite bugs or otherwise), you can still get on Mumble. You do need to be on Mumble for the tour, I won't be typing :p

Ironically enough, if you're owed an invite and do come on the tour, apparently sending and accepting invites works while IN WvW.

Is 8:00PM okay for those interested?

I'd jump in for sure.

Lucifon

Anyone know of anywhere which has data on population of classes yet? Interested to know what's the most popular. From SPVP it seems Thief's are pretty overpopulated?

Complete opposite for me. My time with WoW, while enjoyable, was more along the lines of "there's not much better to play in terms of MMO". With GW2, I could never go back to WoW, no matter how many times they retool their talent system.

Yea, WoW was a slow burn for me too. I got up to level 40'ish and was in the Hinterlands area with my Shaman and one day I was just like...welp that's that. Didn't touch it again for 6 months. After I came back though, I got really addicted. I think it had less to do with the game and more to do with the extreme rut I was at in my life at that point. I don't think I could ever get that addicted to a game ever again.

Forkball

I am totally stuck on crafting. I can make the copper ring, setting, and hook, plus some jewels. But I've used up all the combos. Making the same rings over and over again barely fills the bar, and I still have like 12 levels to go until I get to level 50. TIPS?

This game is scarily addictive. There is just so much to do and see. Even though a lot of the heart quests are pretty similar, the combat is fun and there's starting to be a good diversity in the enemies once you get out of the starting areas.

Also the trading post is like Bigfoot. We've all heard about it, but has anyone really seen it?

Z3M0G

I asked this before but now that more people are playing I will ask again.

Is anyone playing this on a TV? How does the UI scale and do you think it's a completely playable experience on a large HDTV?

That's how I roll, and loving it. I set the UI to largest size and it is fine from my sofa.

Ummmmm, where?
For those new to WwW who will be joining the fun tonight we have to make sure we are all in the same instance map and the easiest one to get your head wraped around is the one that our server is the owner of. If you hit "B" in game it will bring up the WvW panel and when you hit the join bar at the top a drop down will come up with some borderlands options to choose from. Select Stormbluff Isle and it will place you in a que. You can than go about your business while you wait. Typical wait time at that time of night will range from 5 to 15 minutes from my experience.

Look forward to seeing a good turn out! Even if your not new to WwW come out a little later once we go over the basics and join in the fun.

Z3M0G

Finally fought the Giant in Diesa. Man was that a blast. It's amazing though how few people bothered doing dodges, as is evident by the dead people around it. Meanwhile, I noticed myself and 10 or so other Engineers, not dying once to the groundstomp. At one point, we were all rolling in unison, like a damn dance troupe.

Given the button layout, I have a very hard time imagining how I will actively dodge during combat eventually... while at the same time hitting "1,2,3,4,5" with the same hand...

If you are just using the "1" autoattack, sure, but when you mix in your other skills, I just don't see how I can play that way.

Given the button layout, I have a very hard time imagining how I will actively dodge during combat eventually... while at the same time hitting "1,2,3,4,5" with the same hand...

If you are just using the "1" autoattack, sure, but when you mix in your other skills, I just don't see how I can play that way.

My mouse has a button by my thumb. I set that to dodge.

My skills are 1 - 5, Q for healing, Z for elite, E, R and C for Utility 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Since I play Engineer, and have to swap between bundles a lot, I like being able to access everything without lifting my hand at all.

Audioboxer

Only downside to playing the Charr, you feel like you're running in slow motion :p

Everything else is sweet, the animations for warrior are great, feel 'clunky' and 'strong', much better than Human.

Well the problem as I see it is rather knowing when enemies are telegraphing their attacks. With a big guy it can be quite hard sometimes.

Audίoboxer;41492221 said:
Only downside to playing the Charr, you feel like you're running in slow motion :p

Everything else is sweet, the animations for warrior are great, feel 'clunky' and 'strong', much better than Human.

Oh yes... So slow.

Z3M0G

My mouse has a button by my thumb. I set that to dodge.

Hmmm... great suggestion. I only considered the directional double-tap method.

I think I wish this game had camera lock... like FFXI/XIV, and Dark Souls... would make active combat more accessable for me on a keyboard.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Try playing a huge Norn for a week and then return to your Charr ;)

Kingbrave

I feel that way too! Like running in molasses.

And I feel like I'm going to made fun of due to my hillybilly accent later on mumble...

Well the problem as I see it is rather knowing when enemies are telegraphing their attacks. With a big guy it can be quite hard sometimes..

Yea if they aren't giant or have big announcement looking move, it's hard to know when to dodge especially with the zergs which also make it hard to see any oncoming attacking AOE indicators.

Hmmm... great suggestion. I only considered the directional double-tap method.

I think I wish this game had camera lock... like FFXI/XIV, and Dark Souls... would make active combat more accessable for me on a keyboard.

I have double-tap disabled. Shift key dodging works best for me and allows me to tap the movement keys for more precise movement when needed (e.g. jumping puzzles).

You can map a key to lock onto your target. I currently have it mapped to the scroll wheel click on my mouse but haven't found much use for it.

Awesome idea, thanks!

On the same note, has anyone seen a good RAT 7 layout? I know they do game specific packs every now and then but I have not seen one for GW2 yet.

I actually use a RAT7! But I've had issue with their profile software for a while now, so I just use the mouse stock, which is a pity, since I'd love to put something on the thumb scrollwheel, not that I have any idea what.

For now, my upper thumb button is hide UI (for taking screenshots), lower thumb is dodge, click mousewheel for autorun.

While we're waiting. Are there any settings in the game I can adjust to get better framerate in WvWvW? When playing solo and without a lot of characters on screen, I get around 45-50 fps but it drops a lot in large battles with all settings maxed. I still want to have a nice looking game, but I wonder if there is some setting that has a huge impact on fps without losing too much visual sweetness?

this is such a big issue for everyone.

basically you need to either lower the settings so you have 70-80 on average. then it wont dip below 30 in big fights and in WvW.:(

Can anyone answer this?

how long do the spawned guild banners last? ...

the wiki just states 'spawns a guild banner that will give 5% exp etc etc' ...

and also, where does this banner spawn? WvW only? .. i'm just trying to get a better understanding of the guild influence system

I think there are different types of banners...it says the duration in the build menu of the guild screen. I am not home so i cant check it...I wanna say one type lasts for 5 minutes, and some other type lasts a lot longer (I think the "road markers" last the longest).

I am pretty sure you can plant them anywhere, I remember seeing some in Lion's Arch one BWE.

Gritesh

So i just went down to my local future shop to pick the game up.

Turns out is a popular title, there were at least 8 other people in there getting it as well.

And the store was open for about...2 minutes

eznark

Banned
I actually use a RAT7! But I've had issue with their profile software for a while now, so I just use the mouse stock, which is a pity, since I'd love to put something on the thumb scrollwheel, not that I have any idea what.

For now, my upper thumb button is hide UI (for taking screenshots), lower thumb is dodge, click mousewheel for autorun.

Gotcha, well if you make any other tweaks post em. I might try playing around with it tonight to see if I can get something to work better. I might try putting my heal spell on the upper thumb button.

Can anyone answer this?

how long do the spawned guild banners last? ...

the wiki just states 'spawns a guild banner that will give 5% exp etc etc' ...

and also, where does this banner spawn? WvW only? .. i'm just trying to get a better understanding of the guild influence system

I'm kind of curious about this too. What are those banners you find out in the world during PVE events? Can you plant guild banners in the world? I haven't seen any banners with guild emblems during PVE, so I assumed it was PVP only.

crpav

I am kind of torn. I ordered the collectors edition and got the early play code. I played some off and on and would like to continue but I do not want to open my collectors edition. No, I do not want to sell it ever I just like to keep my collectors editions sealed now. It's a compulsive thing.

We can make it 9:00PM EST; there will be a little bit of waiting as people queue to get in, as well, so hopefully you can make it. Is that time okay with everybody?

I'm going to make a thread on GAFguild regarding this. Please pop over and post if you'd like to attend tonight! Remember, you don't need to actually be in the Guild yet (though if you're on the spreadsheet, I should be able to add you from WITHIN wvw), but you will need Mumble at least to listen.

Cool, I'll try to make it this time!

And I feel like I'm going to made fun of due to my hillybilly accent later on mumble...

Even though I'm 20 I've been told I sound like an 8-year-old girl over the telephone/chat so don't feel bad.

derdriu

Just got back from holiday, with my collectors edition waiting for me. After some girlish giggles during unboxing, and a dumb smile on my face while downloading the client, I went to log on to the the Gandara server, to see that its full :(

Is there another server recommended for EU Gaf?

Gritesh

Im installing right now, but I have no idea what class i want to play.

I played Rogue Shaman Paladin Warrior and Hunter in WoW.

I never played a true caster so I might go for that...I was thinking about Necromancer, but the limits on 2 handed weapons seems like I might be disappointed down the road..

Game name is Gritesh.5716

Jobacca

Neo Member
How is the game? Pretty interested in an MMO, and this is perfect because its also free per month. The first Guild Wars played weird to me, for some reason.

Gueras

Banned
Something i need to understand, when u get to lvl 30 u cant find a group for a dungeon like Wow?

I need to set 5 friends(i don't know how many player can go in a dungeon on GW2) and go to the place walking to there?

is that right?

Example: If I want to do Catacombs, i need to set a group of friends ang go there?

I am totally stuck on crafting. I can make the copper ring, setting, and hook, plus some jewels. But I've used up all the combos. Making the same rings over and over again barely fills the bar, and I still have like 12 levels to go until I get to level 50. TIPS?

This game is scarily addictive. There is just so much to do and see. Even though a lot of the heart quests are pretty similar, the combat is fun and there's starting to be a good diversity in the enemies once you get out of the starting areas.

Also the trading post is like Bigfoot. We've all heard about it, but has anyone really seen it?

You need to get find some gems and do 'discovery' . I was at the same place you were, then I used discovery and gained like 15 levels by discovering 4-5 new items.

Gritesh

Ok I just watched the Online Manual and this game looks like it will be lots of fun :)

I'm getting more excited now, wish this download would hurry up and finish!

Mer. I won't be in front of my main PC again until tomorrow night at 10 PM. Will miss the WvW fun. All signed up at GafGuild.com though. Hopefully when I log in tomorrow I'll have a guild invite waiting and can start in on the fun. Going through withdrawal playing game 2 days straight then having to wait 2 days to touch again at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom