• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgossard

Well... it depends what you mean.

You can't play literally by yourself except in your personal story, but you don't need to "group up" in the traditional sense a single time either.

That's what I meant, so I gather you can 'finish' the game going completely solo like Diablo 3.

Moaradin

So you're saying you haven't outnumbered the enemies when you attacked? I want to see you try to attack a troop of 100 people when there's 30 of you, because thats exactly how it is on the other "worser" servers

Yea, I've been on the receiving end during beta. It is definitely not a fun experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here is a controller configuration that I created for my Logitech F710 if anyone is interested in it.
Interesting approach here! I like some of your bindings a lot, you went in a very different direction from the gamepad vets around here.

If you'll forgive me, are you using the AHK script? A couple things you have bound make me feel like you don't have it.
How has that been going for you? I feel like dragging items/the map with left mouse click assigned to right stick-down feels off. And having interact assigned to the dpad means you have to stop moving if you want to interact with anything, which slows you down from running over mass corpses and looting.
My original config was interact mapped to D-pad up as well, but of course you're right, and the latest profile has it as RB + A, a much better solution.

That's what I meant, so I gather you can 'finish' the game going completely solo like Diablo 3.
lol, well...

You can finish the game "solo," but it will be absolutely, nothing at all like Diablo 3.

In your "personal storyline"- a set of full voice-acted quests tailored to your character, based on choices during creation- there won't be anybody with you unless you take them with you. However, JUST doing personal storyline quests is missing out on HUGE chunks of the game (and won't get you enough XP alone to complete it). That means you have to head out into the big scary world.

There will be other people here. But don't panic! You literally CANNOT impede each others' progress. All you can do is help. There's no kill-stealing, no loot camping, so incentive to BE alone when you could be with others (you know... a massively multiplayer game).

However, you can, as I think your question may be, enjoy every minute of content in the game (besides dungeons) without ever forming a party.

Kurita

Quick question for the people who pre-purchased the game on Amazon (with beta access, 3 days headstart, you know the box with just the code).
What happens next ? Do they send you the game ? Cause I didn't received any e-mail.

(Also, I'm not at home for 2 weeks so I can't do anything.)

Heavily outnumber? There's a population limit in WvW :(

Population limits don't get people to actually participate. When sides are getting steam rolled, players just don't bother to queue up for the WvWvW or they leave causing one side to outnumber the other. On servers where a side is dominating, you see it often where players just abadon ship to another battleground queue or get sick of losing heh.

How has that been going for you? I feel like dragging items/the map with left mouse click assigned to right stick-down feels off. And having interact assigned to the dpad means you have to stop moving if you want to interact with anything, which slows you down from running over mass corpses and looting.

I actually haven't really tried it out much. Just in the opening area. So you may be right. RB + LT is free so that could be used for "Interact"

Interesting approach here! I like some of your bindings a lot, you went in a very different direction from the gamepad vets around here.

If you'll forgive me, are you using the AHK script? A couple things you have bound make me feel like you don't have it.

My original config was interact mapped to D-pad up as well, but of course you're right, and the latest profile has it as RB + A, a much better solution.

I don't even know what AHK script is. :D I'm using the Logitech Profiler software that came with my pad.

Chrono Trigger/Cross music is a great idea.

All I've done so far is replace the title screen with Epic Struggle (turned Autoplay on and mute in background off. Gives me goosebumps).

Yeah that's what I thought, but sadly I don't own the Chrono OSTs so I have to resort to fan-made remixes. :( And whoa Epic Struggle is awesome nice idea too! :D
And say am I the only one where the city playlist just doesn't want to work? I have no music at all in cities even though my playlist is filled.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't even know what AHK script is. :D I'm using the Logitech Profiler software that came with my pad.
Oh... man. You are going to have your mind blown. We've been working on this for a while.
KuGsj.gif

AutoHotKey is an scripting application that lets you do all kinds of keyboard and mouse automation for windows. WeltallZero and I have been using it to (along with a few other tricks) simulate the right mouse button constantly being held down, and only released during certain conditions.

The effect of this is you get true third-person shooter control (the right stick always moves the camera by default). It feels unbelievably good.

We're actually going to be releasing an updated, ultimate, final (?) verison of our script and profiles for Xpadder (everything you need will be in one package) today.

Sethos

Banned
Cheeky move, kicking us off during re-zoning when there's another patch available, then when we try to log in the login servers are down / swamped.

Oh... man. You are going to have your mind blown. We've been working on this for a while.
KuGsj.gif

AutoHotKey is an scripting application that lets you do all kinds of keyboard and mouse automation for windows. WeltallZero and I have been using it to (along with a few other tricks) simulate the right mouse button constantly being held down, and only released during certain conditions.

The effect of this is you get true third-person shooter control (the right stick always moves the camera by default). It feels unbelievably good.

We're actually going to be releasing an updated, ultimate, final (?) verison of our script and profiles for Xpadder (everything you need will be in one package) today.

Nice. I look forward to trying it out. I suppose you will post it here and GafGuild when it's done?

Erehael

Neo Member
So I just finished Queensdale right now and I'm about 20% away from level 14. Where am I supposed to go now? The next area is 15+.
I have no idea how to get to another race's starting area. I get to the main city but I can't find the exit (Rata Sum) :D

Spookie

Twitter always makes me laugh. Patch comes out and they come to the conclusion the game is suddenly broken. They still haven't put two and two together to realise the login is getting hammered by everyone who got booted out.

vaelic

Banned
So I just finished Queensdale right now and I'm about 20% away from level 14. Where am I supposed to go now? The next area is 15+.
I have no idea how to get to another race's starting area. I get to the main city but I can't find the exit (Rata Sum) :D

use the purple portal

Try your hand at crafting and you should easily hit 15. Or just run around Queensdale grabbing mats (xp) and participate in any random events that you get notified for (even more xp). Should easily push you over.

Did you get a chance to fight the Shadow Behemoth in the swamp? You don't want to miss it :D

By the time I finished Queensdale, I was level 19 lol.

It (WvWvW) is an absolute blast.

For those who are totally new to the experience, I'll be giving some more guided tours of the general basics to make it less intimidating to jump in. Maybe I'll do one tonight if there's interest.

I would totally do this. What time do you think it would be?

Artadius

jEhbNh1w5gVk4.png

Anyone want to know how Titan Alliance has been going? Nope? Didn't think so. WvW is the single best PvP experience in any MMO that I've ever had.

Yeah, this is actually the opposite of fun when it is so one sided. I play on Maguuma and have played quite a bit of WvW.

Now, I don't mind getting bested in a fair (or as fair a fight as possible)... but what Henge is doing is crazy. Their zergs easily outnumber any group that Maguuma or Sorrows Furnace fields by as little as 2:1 and as much as 5:1.

When Henge sieges a keep, they ALWAYS drop anywhere from 3-6 siege engines. This is without fail. Their keeps are fully upgraded. There's some serious coinage being spent by these guys I'm sure legitimately... but its still crazy. I mean they've got to be dropping hundreds and probably thousands of gold already on what they've done to their keeps and what they drop down for each siege and pitched battle.

Ok, fine. They're damn good at what they do. I'm a bit salty yeah.

What makes it worse though is that the WvW reset yesterday evening... but we didn't get matched up with new servers! It's the same damn matchup again with Henge obliterating everything. Don't think I want to play WvW anymore.

chiablo

Yeah, this is actually the opposite of fun when it is so one sided. I play on Maguuma and have played quite a bit of WvW.

Now, I don't mind getting bested in a fair (or as fair a fight as possible)... but what Henge is doing is crazy. Their zergs easily outnumber any group that Maguuma or Swamp of Sorrows fields by as little as 2:1 and as much as 5:1.

When Henge sieges a keep, they ALWAYS drop anywhere from 3-6 siege engines. This is without fail. Their keeps are fully upgraded. There's some serious coinage being spent by these guys I'm sure legitimately... but its still crazy. I mean they've got to be dropping hundreds and probably thousands of gold already on what they've done to their keeps and what they drop down for each siege and pitched battle.

What makes it worse though is that the WvW reset yesterday evening... but we didn't get matched up with new servers! It's the same damn matchup again with Henge obliterating everything. Don't think I want to play WvW anymore.

I can't wait for them to get matched up with the Korean servers. They'll never know what hit them.

V_Arnold

What is basically happening is that groups of dedicated people decided on servers to "dominate with", and simply caught the opposing realms off-guard.

I hope that the matchmaking will be as strict as possible with these realms, because they NEED to get what they deserve - as in, an enemy. This is why regulated equal number vs equal number PVP will always be more fun for both sides than mass PVP - on paper, the latter sounds amazing, but in life, that is not how it works.

I can't wait for them to get matched up with the Korean servers. They'll never know what hit them.

Yep, this :D

If someone prefers WoW over this game i dont know what to tell that person, congrats on being dead inside i guess?

Now, I don't mind getting bested in a fair (or as fair a fight as possible)... but what Henge is doing is crazy. Their zergs easily outnumber any group that Maguuma or Swamp of Sorrows fields by as little as 2:1 and as much as 5:1.

I really hope they drop real money to keep this up. That would just be too funny.

This may be the first MMO I've been interested in. I haven't that much of the game though. I just wish there was a small demo or something.

Kurita

Self quote for new page.
Quick question for the people who pre-purchased the game on Amazon (with beta access, 3 days headstart, you know the box with just the code).
What happens next ? Do they send you the game ? Cause I didn't received any e-mail.

(Also, I'm not at home for 2 weeks so I can't do anything.)

Anybody ?

For those who are totally new to the experience, I'll be giving some more guided tours of the general basics to make it less intimidating to jump in. Maybe I'll do one tonight if there's interest.

I'd love to get a tour if I get an invite to the guild. Last time I tried to tag along but since I wasn't in the guild I was completely lost just running around following you guys without hearing what was being said so I bailed. I'll ask for the invite when I get in game tonight

Kingbrave

Thanks! I tried it once earlier today and was totally confused, even with the tutorial dude.

Self quote for new page.

Anybody ?

If you preordered the box you should have recieved the beta access/early start code in your confirmation email/reciept. If you had inputted this code in when you purchased to your account you would have been able to play in the BWEs/Stress Tests/Early Start.

When the box arrives there will be a second code, the release code. You will need to input that one into your account within 5 days (September 2nd) otherwise you will be locked out of the game until you do input it.

accx

KuGsj.gif

Watch out with using AHK, it might trigger the anti cheat system.

I tried this one out with the pinnacle trial and i think it does exactly what you are describing (right stick always move camera).
http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?25192-Guild-Wars-2

Rad-

Around what time are you on? I wouldn't mind joining if I'm still online.

What is basically happening is that groups of dedicated people decided on servers to "dominate with", and simply caught the opposing realms off-guard.

I hope that the matchmaking will be as strict as possible with these realms, because they NEED to get what they deserve - as in, an enemy. This is why regulated equal number vs equal number PVP will always be more fun for both sides than mass PVP - on paper, the latter sounds amazing, but in life, that is not how it works.

I don't know, the WvW I finally got into was pretty even, equal matches and keeps going back and forth. Nothing like that steamroll you see. It's all up to the matching. It worked pretty well from what I saw. But having a dominance like that and then not being matched up to like servers is pretty idiotic on ANet's part.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

That sounds amazing, was wishing the game had a way to lock the camera to mouse control. Maybe now I can stop holding down the right-click whenever I move.

Dunlop

I don't know, the WvW I finally got into was pretty even, equal matches and keeps going back and forth. Nothing like that steamroll you see. It's all up to the matching. It worked pretty well from what I saw. But having a dominance like that and then not being matched up to like servers is pretty idiotic on ANet's part.
It's the first week, there us no baseline to establish 'like' servers yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom