• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

They've added diminishing returns for dynamic events. :/
I figured something like that would be there from the start. I often found myself doing the same event over and over just because it was around, diminishing returns would help me move the heck on. (._. )

Arksy

I figured something like that would be there from the start. I often found myself doing the same event over and over just because it was around, diminishing returns would help me move the heck on. (._. )

I can understanding wanting to stop botters, especially in Gendarren Fields, but at the expense of punishing the rest of the playerbase? Bad call by ArenaNet.

zlatko

Banned
I just played hookie from work today to get tons of sleep and get in a shit ton of GW2 time...unfortunately I just have way too much other shit to do that my entire day will be spent doing other forms of work. :(

So I just also installed the game on my laptop, and I need help gettting the right drivers. I haven't updated them at all since I got the thing, and now that I'm playing a game that actually requires a bit much, I decided it's time to. I have an Intel(R) HD 3000 graphics card. The model is a Dell XPS L502X. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, can I use a wireless controller for controller play? I'm guessing not, but it sure would be nice.

Pre-bought this game, but due to the aiming nature of this game and dodging etc. I cannot play this on a standard keyboard and mouse.

I have bought the razor naga, with 17 programmable buttons. Until then, no gameplay.

Forkball

You need to get find some gems and do 'discovery' . I was at the same place you were, then I used discovery and gained like 15 levels by discovering 4-5 new items.
I have done that though with all the low tier gems. Let's say I have garnet, well I can make an earring and ring. Rinse and repeat until I use up all the different gems, which I have.

zlatko

Banned
Oh I saw some GAFfers on last night in PvP. I think I picked WvW. Not 100% sure.

I thought it was normal PvP where it ends after a while, but after 3 hours realized thanks to someone /shouting this stuff takes a week. :/

ShaneB

Being on Mumble and chatting with other folks reminds me exactly what I missed about MMOs. It's just nice to play the game together and chit chat over random stuff, be it GW2 or anything in particular. It's been plenty fun, and everyone is helpful, so do hop on! I just wish overlay would work so I could get to know who is chatting quicker. lol

Arksy

This doesn't really bother me because there is just so much content that there is no reason to farm them unless your just lazy and don't want to explore.

Hardly. Most zones 35+ you can get the waypoints/POI/Vistas/hearts done and still have 80% of the levels needed for the zones range, so you're left with cycling through dynamic events till you level.

Chris R

Just a few questions after playing some more last night...

1) Is 8 exp a kill normal? Seems like leveling up is taking forever, and I'm way underleveled according to the uncompleted heart quests after completing every one that was available... Or do I need to teleport to other starting zones and do their heart quests too?

2) WvWvW. Is this even working at the moment? I joined the queue as soon as I can each time I start playing but have never seen an indication of my place in line in the queue.

3) Is there any other form of PvP I can instance/flag for? Or is that something that comes further down the line.

I do love the crafting and bank stuff, just wish it was possible to craft without withdrawing from the bank!

Hixx

Gandara is to :(

Does anyone know if there are any backup servers?

Is this like other MMOs where if a server is full, it's just locked/queued until player count drops, or am I not going to be able to create a character on Gandara until transfers etc hopefully smooth things out?

Been busy all day and going out tonight, bit naff if I'm not going to be able to get on Gandara at all. GAF + other people I know are all congregating there :(

Deitus

Oh I saw some GAFfers on last night in PvP. I think I picked WvW. Not 100% sure.

I thought it was normal PvP where it ends after a while, but after 3 hours realized thanks to someone /shouting this stuff takes a week. :/

You were definitely in WvW. Structured PvP (the non-WvW PvP mode) is much much smaller scale. The matches consist of 5v5 (with 10v10 existing in custom matches), and basically play like a capture point mode in an FPS, with a few twists.

WvW on the other hand is 4 huge maps, with three factions fighting over control of towers, castles, and supply depots, and involves potentially hundreds of players and the use of siege weapons.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
They've added diminishing returns for dynamic events. :/

I'm a little disappointed but maybe for the best? Came across a spot last night where a 3-chain bandit event goes off and right next to it there is a centaur 3-chain event. Alternated between the two of them for an hour and went from level 27 to 30. After that I realized how it makes sense that people are level 80 already.

Edit: Actually, I decided that I hate this. Before: you see a dynamic event, you rush to it. Suddenly an event has a group of people, making it more fun and lively. Now, people may see an event and figure "not worth the time" leading to lonely events. That's right, I'm hating this purely on speculation!

This doesn't really bother me because there is just so much content that there is no reason to farm them unless your just lazy and don't want to explore.

Eh found complete opposite. You only get so much XP from the world exploration and events. You basically have to make up the XP doing crafting and pvp, otherwise you got to repeat events.

Just a few questions after playing some more last night...

1) Is 8 exp a kill normal? Seems like leveling up is taking forever, and I'm way underleveled according to the uncompleted heart quests after completing every one that was available... Or do I need to teleport to other starting zones and do their heart quests too?

2) WvWvW. Is this even working at the moment? I joined the queue as soon as I can each time I start playing but have never seen an indication of my place in line in the queue.

3) Is there any other form of PvP I can instance/flag for? Or is that something that comes further down the line.

I do love the crafting and bank stuff, just wish it was possible to craft without withdrawing from the bank!

1) Yes that xp amount is normal. You are not supposed to just go by heart to heart. It doesn't work like that. You get xp for all sorts of things. Explore the entire map. Do the events when they pop on screen. You get great xp from doing AC ( all clear). that means; do all the hearts, find all the vistas, find all the PoIs (points of interests), gather everything you find - press m on your map to see your progress. you get a big chest reward for every zone you clear, including cities like divinitys reach and lions arch.

how many jumping puzzles have you done? how much karma do you have? also jump in WvW to get xp or from crafting.

but yes the other starting zones will offer a lot of xp as well and they are fun. they even give your loot that is appropriate for you even if you are over levelled. the looting scales somewhat. particularly zone bosses. i was lvl 30 when i did the norn starting zone world boss and it gave me a lvl 26 sword. the zone is only lvl 1-15, but the game scaled my gear accordingly.

also you can do structured pvp. press H, and go to bottom tab - go to "heart of the mists". that will take you to the e-sport lobby. you are now lvl 80 and can get lvl 80 armor and weapons and alll skill unlocked for free. have fun

Hardly. Most zones 35+ you can get the waypoints/POI/Vistas/hearts done and still have 80% of the levels needed for the zones range, so you're left with cycling through dynamic events till you level.

I'm not sure how this is possible. I'm level 42 and I just started questing in my first 25+ zone and my story quest is up to level 16.

Edit: and you guys do know there are multiple zones for each level range right?

KePoW

Banned
Just download the client and I believe the server info is in the OP somewhere. Then just join the channel we are in and I can walk you through setting up push to talk (is easy to do)

I hate push-to-talk, it sucks. Does Mumble just have open mic voice activate, like Skype? That works much easier.

I hate push-to-talk, it sucks. Does Mumble just have open mic voice activate, like Skype? That works much easier.

It does but unless you get your settings right and don't have feedback or constant noise in the background a lot of people are going to be a little annoyed.
No one likes push to talk we just use it because its the proper etiquette. It would get outrageous in the channel with 15 people and no PTT.

chiablo

Pre-bought this game, but due to the aiming nature of this game and dodging etc. I cannot play this on a standard keyboard and mouse.

I have bought the razor naga, with 17 programmable buttons. Until then, no gameplay.

Let me know how the naga works with GW2. I've so far not had any difficulties with the m+k combo, but I'm sure there are far more efficient ways of doing things.

arimanius

I'm trying to explain the game to a couple of friends who play WoW and one who use to play DAoC, and I can't find any info on how long WvWvW lasts before it reset. Anyone?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, it's all I use. Apparently my mic has a minor helicopter effect in the background I can't get rid of though :'(

edit: I have no feedback or levels problems so don't worry- it's silent when I'm not talking.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Excited - I'm going to join up with everyone on mumble tonight. I've seen so many GAF folk running around...I want to get in the guild! Hopefully it gets going soon (invites rolling out, capacity, etc).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is hard. I just went to the second area as a human and the mobs hit much harder and it's just much easier to die. I enjoy my engineer but I think it's time I try some new classes before I go on. My engineer is 18 and I don't feel very strong at all. Most of the skills feel useless, sometimes it feels like the most effective thing to do is just stand there and auto attack with 1. Maybe all classes are like that?

There is a huge jump in enemy damage output between the first and second areas. As a result, this will translate to a huge jump in difficulty for most players. I played my Elementalist to level 15 in the first area pretty much like I play most MMORPGs. Just stand in one spot and unleash my abilities. That's because I wasn't forced to play any other way.

As I quickly learned last night, that style doesn't work in Guild Wars 2. It seems like the majority of NPC attacks are avoidable. You need to constantly be moving around, dodging, and using your abilities at the right time to take on enemies. Two nights ago I was frustrated as hell with the game, but last night something clicked and I learned how to play. I was able to kill lots of melee-only mobs without even getting hit.

After years of playing MMORPGs, it definitely takes some getting used to this new style of combat, but the game gets a lot more fun as soon as you start to figure it out.

KePoW

Banned
It does but unless you get your settings right and don't have feedback or constant noise in the background a lot of people are going to be a little annoyed.
No one likes push to talk we just use it because its the proper etiquette. It would get outrageous in the channel with 15 people and no PTT.

Ok thanks for info.

If Mumble is programmed well with good algorithms for the voice activate, like Skype, then it should not be a problem.

Ok. I grabbed this. I don't intend to play all the time but if I'm going to have an MMO on the side it's good to have one that started Free-to-play and seems to get the system right from the get-go.

LTWheels

Is this like other MMOs where if a server is full, it's just locked/queued until player count drops, or am I not going to be able to create a character on Gandara until transfers etc hopefully smooth things out?

Been busy all day and going out tonight, bit naff if I'm not going to be able to get on Gandara at all. GAF + other people I know are all congregating there :(

The only issue is by the time it is unlocked, free transfers may have already stopped. Transfers are only free for this initial launch window, after that it is going to cost us real money.

Whilst transfers are free, I think it might be worth moving the whole EU guild to a lower population server. Gandara is considered as main UK server for a lot of other communities as well so it is always going to be difficult to get in. It says it all when from pre-launch alone it is full. Always will have a large queue to actually get into the WvWvW map.

centracore

Does anyone know how they are handling server capacity? Are they closing servers to new character creation if they reach a certain threshold like most MMOs?

I just want to make sure I'm going to be able to join up with the GAF guild on Stormbluff Isle before picking the game up at lunch!

Deadly

Does anyone know how they are handling server capacity? Are they closing servers to new character creation if they reach a certain threshold like most MMOs?

I just want to make sure I'm going to be able to join up with the GAF guild on Stormbluff Isle before picking the game up at lunch!
There's a few servers that are "full" and can't create on so far. GAF server is safe.

Also how's WvW been?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is a huge jump in enemy damage output between the first and second areas. As a result, this will translate to a huge jump in difficulty for most players. I played my Elementalist to level 15 in the first area pretty much like I play most MMORPGs. Just stand in one spot and unleash my abilities. That's because I wasn't forced to play any other way.

As I quickly learned last night, that style doesn't work in Guild Wars 2. It seems like the majority of NPC attacks are avoidable. You need to constantly be moving around, dodging, and using your abilities at the right time to take on enemies. Two nights ago I was frustrated as hell with the game, but last night something clicked and I learned how to play. I was able to kill lots of melee-only mobs without even getting hit.

After years of playing MMORPGs, it definitely takes some getting used to this new style of combat, but the game gets a lot more fun as soon as you start to figure it out.
I encourage everyone to, once they feel comfortable with the controls and their abilities, try and take on (only in 1v1!) a mob 3-4 levels higher than you in any of the secondary areas.

With dodging and timing, you can beat things that can kill you in one or two shots, just on pure skill a la Dark Souls. It's during these challenges that the strengths of your class can really shine, too. I love taking advantage of the fact that stealth lets me catch my breath, create some distance from my target, AND gives me access to two more powerful attacks.

edit: I should disclose it's likely that you will die a couple times before you succeed at this.

LTWheels

They already have closed servers to character creation. When we could last login, Stormbluff Isle was high, Gandara was full.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Have they said anything about adding more areas/game types for spvp? I like the pvp in this game, but only having 3 areas and all of them being the same capture/hold this point seems like it will get old fast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I encourage everyone to, once they feel comfortable with the controls and their abilities, try and take on (only in 1v1!) a mob 3-4 levels higher than you in any of the secondary areas.

With dodging and timing, you can beat things that can kill you in one or two shots, just on pure skill a la Dark Souls. It's during these challenges that the strengths of your class can really shine, too. I love taking advantage of the fact that stealth lets me catch my breath, create some distance from my target, AND gives me access to two more powerful attacks.

Yep!

When I first entered the zone, I was getting murdered by even level bandits before I could get them below half on my Elementalist.

Once I started experimenting and learning how to play (finally), I was able to take on mobs even 4 levels higher than me without getting hit. Obviously, avoiding hits is the key to winning (at least when playing as a ranged damage dealer).

So now that this game is out, does it have any real aggro mechanics? I feel like PvE group encounters could get pretty dull if it's just everyone beating on a boss or adds and moving out of the way of circles on the ground.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is there anyone online on the EU server who could invite me to guild ?

bounchfx

Have they said anything about adding more areas/game types for spvp? I like the pvp in this game, but only having 3 areas and all of them being the same capture/hold this point seems like it will get old fast.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I thought there was going to be a 5v5, 8v8 or 16v16 type pvp mode but all it seems to be are the battlegrounds/boderlands, which are pretty much exactly like the eternal battleground place too. It all plays the same.

Not to mention it takes like 20 minutes to even get to the other side of the borderlands. Ugh. :\

So if it says a server is full during your first login - can you just come back a few hours later or is there no way to choose it as your home world anymore.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep!

When I first entered the zone, I was getting murdered by even level bandits before I could get them below half on my Elementalist.

Once I started experimenting and learning how to play (finally), I was able to take on mobs even 4 levels higher than me without getting hit. Obviously, avoiding hits is the key to winning (at least when playing as a ranged damage dealer).
3AQmK.gif
There's other stuff too.

Combos are always seriously powerful, they're not just a gimmick. Any self combos you can perform you should be constantly taking advantage of- and remember you might have a field on one weapon set (or attunement for ele) and a finisher on another!

I love how they handled race in this game. Instead of restricting you by class or making you predisposed to something with certain stats, they provide every class with an additional layer of options that can really change things up. It wouldn't make sense for a Norn thief to have access to advanced technology, but as an Asura thief, it makes perfect sense for me to get overwhelmed in a mob, throw down a device that generates a Radiation Field, stealth and escape to the perimeter. (Incredibly fun skill by the way. Thing lasts forever).

So now that this game is out, does it have any real aggro mechanics? I feel like PvE group encounters could get pretty dull if it's just everyone beating on a boss or adds and moving out of the way of circles on the ground.
There is no tanking. Doing a particularly high spike of damage will definitely get a mob's attention though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom