• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

So, got my Necro up to 22 tonight and he's finally clicked for me.

I've gone full staff with him and have realized how woefully I have underestimated the Marks he can throw down. In a clusterfuck event, they are really powerful, but even in a solo one-on-one or one-on-two, the dropping of conditions on allies and removing boons on enemies becomes really powerful.

I went full staff around 18 and have not looked back.

Plus, tailoring has finally clicked, now that I've understand how to use the discovery system, the different clothing parts to be used with the insignias.

So, all in all, a good day.

Trey said:
The downed mechanic, at least for PVE, is a masterstroke. The little adrenaline rush you get when you stave of death with a second wind is potent. It's really a much, much better alternative to GW1's method of handling death, and really any MMO I've (briefly) played. Of course, the waypoint system is a crucial element to its success.

Tonight, a Champion Golem in a group event was the target, but towards the end, he unleashed a serious ohmydayum PBAoE attack that wiped out 95% of the players attacking him. He knocks down the remainder and then me lastly, but, as I'm laying there blasting him, I take him down right before I went out for good.

Seriously, this made that whole mechanic for me.

Interesting. In terms of the combat, It's always been my experience that it feeling like a cluster fuck is an indication of a real lack of understanding of how the combat mechanics should function. So, presumably given time, you would change that opinion after figuring it out.

In other words, someone coming in to WoW might say the combat is a cluster fuck, but you and I would tend to disagree with that, I would think.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game to see the functionality of combat in action. It seems so delicious in theory, multi-class ability combos in particular.

I disagree. The clusterfuck impression people get has more to do with the number of players as opposed to the actual combat itself. WOW can feel exactly the same in places like AV or Wintergrasp where you have tons of players fighting. The difference is a much larger chunk of Guild Wars requires tons of players, so you find yourself in overcrowded combat situations much more often.

My other problem is that the combat is, in my opinion, too open-ended. I'm guessing it's just a case of needing to play long enough to get familiar with everything, but it really feels like each profession has too much variance. As awesome as it is to have widely different load outs depending on weapons and skill slots, I cannot see myself possibly being able to remember all the possible permutations a profession could have.

If I see another profession in PVP, I feel like I know next to nothing about how to approach the situation because there is so much variance. The idea that your profession doesn't determine your combat role is very refreshing and novel in PVE, but it's a nightmare for getting a handle on combat in PVP.

The fact that this game doesn't have a sub makes me really glad I picked it up. It doesn't give me that same "I'm paying a sub for this so I need to play as much as possible," mentality that WoW gave me. It's actually relaxing to run around and explore and not worry about keeping up.

Same with me. Love it so much.

Proven

Playing with ItAintEasy and a bunch of others in WvW was great. If only the queue wasn't so horribly long.

I disagree. The clusterfuck impression people get has more to do with the number of players as opposed to the actual combat itself. WOW can feel exactly the same in places like AV or Wintergrasp where you have tons of players fighting. The difference is a much larger chunk of Guild Wars requires tons of players, so you find yourself in overcrowded combat situations much more often.

My other problem is that the combat is, in my opinion, too open-ended. I'm guessing it's just a case of needing to play long enough to get familiar with everything, but it really feels like each profession has too much variance. As awesome as it is to have widely different load outs depending on weapons and skill slots, I cannot see myself possibly being able to remember all the possible permutations a profession could have.

If I see another profession in PVP, I feel like I know next to nothing about how to approach the situation because there is so much variance. The idea that your profession doesn't determine your combat role is very refreshing and novel in PVE, but it's a nightmare for getting a handle on combat in PVP.

This is essentially why in WvW, you don't see what profession your opponents are. You can eyeball their armor to make a guess about how squishy they are, but there are so many things you can do in a large scale battle that they can be specc'd for anything.

As for PvP, you just have to follow the metagame. Every profession can fill any role, but there are going to be cookie cutter ways to do so that everyone is going to follow. Just highlighting them to see their class and taking note of what weapon they're holding will knock out 50-75% of the variance right there.

So uhh, am I just not seeing where to put in the serial code on my account?

I had the 3 day head start and there doesn't seem to be a link in account to input the full game's code.

Am I supposed to use the register link again?

Trey

I had the 3 day head start and there doesn't seem to be a link in account to input the full game's code.

Take the serial code you get from your retail box and input it here.

Cystm

I feel that in those circumstances you are more so dealing with people that do not properly know how to play their classes and essentially faceroll.

a0LYy.gif

Ranked Warzones are a good measure of skill versus the situations you discribed. Given that this games combat functionality is new, it will feel like that even more so, because literally everyone is new to the game. So again, given enough time people will familiarize themselves with the game enough to alleviate that feeling of it being a clusterfuck, at least at all times. I would hope.

Fair enough. Though I believe given enough time, if you really wanted to be competitive in this game, you would as it were: L2play :p

The more people talk about the combat being too deep, the more I salivate for this game.

For those who cannot find party members in Overflow and where the "Join In" button doesn't work. I found that if everyone in the party drops party and relogs, then recreates the party, it'll be fixed. Works 100% of the time with my brother and friends.

I've also noticed another thing that only seems to happen in the regular servers, sometimes when everyone in a party is in the normal server, I've noticed that you there is a distance limit in which if you are not physically close enough to people in your party, they wont show up on the map and their portrait will be blacked out. This only seems to happen in regular and not overflow. I've actually been keeping to Overflow 95% of the time when playing with a group just to avoid this.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Hopefully this and the TP will be fixed after downtime, I made my first Rare jewelry item and am completely out of mats, really need the TP to continue messing with this stuff...

just remember when you register it will change your number on your ID.

it changed mine from myname:5630 to myname:5631. so you'll have to inform your friends and edit your post on GAFGuild.

Trey

Wtf? How weird.

That's a very odd way to do it honestly. Oh well.

I'm not complaining, great game so far.

I agree, but it's what I ended up doing and four hours in I can report nothing has changed aside from 4 numbers. I suppose I'll have to update my post in the gafguild.com Guild sign-up thread, but I'm already in the guild so I doubt it's expressly necessary at this point in time.

Helmholtz

God I love this game. Arena Net actually did it. Completely lives up to the hype for me thus far. I can't believe just how many aspects of the game they managed to nail. And all without requiring a monthly fee. Man I hope they make a good amount of profit off this game.
I mean shit, even the underwater portions continue to blow my mind. Between the sound effects and visuals, and the sheer vastness of some of the water bodies, it actually sort of feels like I'm scuba diving. That's insane.
And I can tell that once I've grown tired of the current content, which seems like it won't be for quite some time, I'll be completely on board for any expansions they have coming.

Aside from the bugs, I'm running into some bizarre, location specific intermittent lag in Ashford Plains. I wonder what's up with that. It ONLY occurs in certain parts of Ashford too.

Juice

My account's been deactivated for a while, but I just had to chime into this thread that I've been lurking it all along and bought GW2 on a whim this weekend and absolutely love it.

I've been dabbling and sampling MMOs for fifteen years, and this is probably my favorite MMO launch that I can remember. I haven't been this hooked since WoW's launch, but at the same time I can identify numerous improvements.

As a general rule, the developers clearly focused on removing any-and-every "unfun" activity from the MMO genre that they could. What's left is a greatest hits list of what various MMOs have done right.

Trey

God I love this game. Arena Net actually did it. Completely lives up to the hype for me thus far. I can't believe just how many aspects of the game they managed to nail.
I mean shit, even the underwater portions continue to blow my mind. Between the sound effects and visuals, and the sheer vastness of some of the water bodies, it actually sort of feels like I'm scuba diving. That's insane.

After the initial wave of amazement hits you due to the gorgeous world, tight gameplay, and addicting map exploration, it's the tiny things that really bring it all home. At least for me. It's the moments where I realize that, "holy shit, my character takes a breath every fourth strokes while swimming on the surface of the water" or "my word, his feet get dirty if he runs barefoot?"

And I haven't even touched the main attractions for me yet: WvWvW and sPVP. So it's like an entire feast was merely the appetizer, and the reason I even came to the restaurant is still to come.

I really like this game.

Piecake

Loving this game so far. I ditched my ranger for a warrior since I wasnt really feeling it. Warrior just has some awesome awesome weapon skills. Sword/mace, axe/axe, Hammer, and Bow are all awesome. Bulls rush is just fun as hell as well

So going with an Engineer and Warrior combo. Havent played my Engineer since sunday and i dont even mind. Exploring the game and all of the classes is just too fun. In fact, I might stick my necro, guardian, and elementalist in there for shits and giggles.

man, its going to take me forever to level since i got a serious case of alt-itis.

Well, good news is is that I will hopefully have a shit ton of crafting materials

Can't decide between sylvari necro or sylvari memser

Go necro. Mersmer isnt all too exciting for me

Yaska

Been really enjoying WvWvW so far, I prefer to do PvE in games, but WvW is something really fun. Storming Stonemist Castle with many players only to get ambushed in the guild lord room and get wiped (we really thought we had it, but then the enemy got us at the guild lord), and other fun experiences.

Helmholtz

Loving this game so far. I ditched my ranger for a warrior since I wasnt really feeling it. Warrior just has some awesome awesome weapon skills. Sword/mace, axe/axe, Hammer, and Bow are all awesome. Bulls rush is just fun as hell as well
Just wait until you unlock the "Frenzy" skill. One of the most insanely awesome, yet risky-to-use skills ever. But I agree, warrior is great. Just so many weapons and weapon combos you can use, and quite a few ways to spec yourself. My personal favorite weapon combination at the moment would have to be sword main hand, axe off hand. Gives you some awesome AoE spells, while also allowing you to constantly apply bleeding to your enemies and keep them in place.
And I haven't even touched the main attractions for me yet: WvWvW and sPVP. So it's like an entire feast was merely the appetizer, and the reason I even came to the restaurant is still to come.
I'm mainly into PvE with this type of game, but can see myself getting into WvW later on since it just seems really unique. I don't think I'll ever get seriously into it, because the large scale battles are just too chaotic for me, but it definitely seems like something that would be fun to mess around in once in a while.

Another cool thing about this game is the primary story quests. My friend and I both played as humans, but at some point I started asking him about one of the quests I had done, assuming he would be doing it as well. Turns out that because of some of the dialogue choices he made, he was doing quests that were quite a bit different from mine. Seems like something that would make replaying the game with a new character worthwhile. It's something I'd expect in a single player game, so I was pretty surprised they went to all the trouble of doing it in an MMO like this.

I feel that in those circumstances you are more so dealing with people that do not properly know have to play their classes and essentially faceroll.

Considering the game is officially about 3-4 days old, I get the feeling most people won't know how to play their class "properly", which is not what the game is really about. It's about playing it how you want, there is no "proper" way.

antitrop

Guild Wars noob (played plenty of other MMOs). Purely out of curiosity... why does killing enemies give such a ridiculously minor amount of experience as to make it not even close to worth the time to kill them?

Am I missing something here?

7 exp for a kill when it takes 4,000 to the next level? I don't get it.

Helmholtz

Guild Wars noob (played plenty of other MMOs). Purely out of curiosity... why does killing enemies give such a ridiculously minor amount of experience as to make it not even close to worth the time to kill them?

Am I missing something here?

7 exp for a kill when it takes 4,000 to the next level? I don't get it.
I think you get the most experience from doing dynamic events, heart quests, and exploring areas. Also, I think 7 is a little on the low side. The enemies you're killing are probably a lower level than you are. If you're being downleveled you're probably earning less experience.

antitrop

I think you get the most experience from doing dynamic events, heart quests, and exploring areas. Also, I think 7 is a little on the low side. The enemies you're killing are probably a lower level than you are.
2 higher. I'm Level 7. They're 9.

Just seems so fucking odd, because I've never played another MMO where killing mobs outside of a quest gave you basically nothing. Do 1 quest and gain half a level, just seems like unique game design. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm rather enjoying it.

Cystm

Considering the game is officially about 3-4 days old, I get the feeling most people won't know how to play their class "properly", which is not what the game is really about. It's about playing it how you want, there is no "proper" way.

"Proper" - meaning: Going into a fight knowing what your target can actually do and outplaying them with superior play based on your knowledge of the classes and their abilities, not just in theory, but situationally - which one can only truly learn after playing the game. Which of course takes time.

Piecake

Just seems so fucking odd, because I've never played another MMO where killing mobs outside of a quest gave you basically nothing.

Youll gain much more experience simply exploring and wandering around than grinding mobs. Personally, I love the way they did it. Especially because the world is just so beautiful and you can find some really cool and interesting stuff just wandering around.

Wandering around, you'll find DEs that you would have missed, Points of interest, vistas, and other cool shit. A lot of DEs are triggered, and a good way to go about triggering them is wandering around, talking to people, and then staying after the DE is finished to see what happens next, cause many of the DEs turn into DE chains. You just gotta stick with the NPC

I think its a lot more fun way to play that killing mobs. Hell, I still kill mobs wandering around, but I do it for fun (or crafting stat drops), not for the exp,

Just wait until you unlock the "Frenzy" skill. One of the most insanely awesome, yet risky-to-use skills ever. But I agree, warrior is great. Just so many weapons and weapon combos you can use, and quite a few ways to spec yourself. My personal favorite weapon combination at the moment would have to be sword main hand, axe off hand. Gives you some awesome AoE spells, while also allowing you to constantly apply bleeding to your enemies and keep them in place.

Ive yet to find an axe, so thats why i havent tried out sword/axe, but from the beta I exclusively used axe, and now that ive gotten more familar with the sword, it really does seem like sword/axe would be a beastly combo.

I more or less liked the mace off hand for the Aoe knockdown. And well, the axe is simply much better AoE than the mace. Pretty difficult choice what to have as my other weapon set though - Hammer or bow. I do like me some hammer, but its always good to have a rnage weapon, and the bow's F1 ability is seriously beastly, especially combined with the leap and whirl and projectiles youll have access to with bow and sword/axe.

Helmholtz

Just seems so fucking odd, because I've never played another MMO where killing mobs outside of a quest gave you basically nothing. Do 1 quest and gain half a level, just seems like unique game design. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm rather enjoying it.
Yeah I haven't really taken to killing mobs for experience. I seem to level just fine by working on completing explorable areas and doing primary quests. However the drops from mobs can be useful when it comes to crafting and stuff.
Would one recommend this game to people who aren't "MMO people"?

I'm mildly curious, but don't really play MMOs generally.
Yup.

Wallach

Those of us that were able to get into WvW tonight did some real good for Stormbluff Isle. At least a couple of us managed to get the entire 100,000 XP without dying thing for the monthly done in there. Many cows lost their lives trying to stop us, but we were too strong. J Harden continues to prove a man can always die on his own terms. Someone promoted me to Admiral after a decisive victory at sea.

Palmer_v1

Had an absolute blast in WvWvW. Can't wait to get in on more of that with everyone.

Yeah it was fun. It probably doesn't require a specific tour as long as you go in with a vet and will listen on mumble.

The 3 sidedness can be pretty funny. We were getting pushed back pretty hard at one point due to the trebuchets at Redbriar when suddenly the third army stormed their keep and took it all out.

Edit:
Those of us that were able to get into WvW tonight did some real good for Stormbluff Isle. At least a couple of us managed to get the entire 100,000 XP without dying thing for the monthly done in there. Many cows lost their lives trying to stop us, but we were too strong. J Harden continues to prove a man can always die on his own terms. Someone promoted me to Admiral after a decisive victory at sea.

Yeah that was me. I was following Franklin Delano around the keep and kept hearing you talk about the enemies hiding in the water. Finally jumped in and helped you clear those cowardly underwater scum. Gave us breathing room to clear the keep completely and push them back to Redbriar again.

Would one recommend this game to people who aren't "MMO people"?

I'm mildly curious, but don't really play MMOs generally.

I've never enjoyed any of the other MMO's I've tried (outside of the first GW). I'm loving the hell out of this so far and I've still only seen the starting areas. I do feel like I don't know what I'm doing a bit (still haven't touched crafting). But, the way this game throws events at you is so awesome and addicting. It's hard to walk away when every time you take a step, a new quest pops up and you see a crowd rushing to do it.

dc89

Ok! Going to play this game right now for the first time.

My first time with a Guild Wars game too. I am kinda excite.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
is there a way or an item to remove a gem from an armor piece? i accidentally added it and it lost the original stat boosts for it D:

Fine salvage kit has a high chance to. It's a nice way to get a sweet rune from karma vendor gear.

Had some fun leveling today, and even managed to make some armor pieces that were upgrades for me. It's always nice when that happens.

Vodh

So here's a story: When I first checked out the game, Mesmer sounded absolutely brilliant. I rolled one immediately when I could and it just felt... Underwhelming. Especially when compared to a second pick, Necro, who felt much more powerful. I messed around with other classes some more, briefly considering Engineer but coming back to Necro after all. Then just on a whim I fired up my Mesmer again - and wow. Having an even slightly better understanding of what's going on makes Mesmer tons of fun - I'm an altoholic, probably half of those few thousand hours I've put in WoW were on sub-40 characters and I've got all D3 characters up to 60 and past act 1 Inferno, so I don't think I'm capable of just deciding on Mesmer like that, but one thing I am sure of - I will not drop him, he's awesome.

To those who did make it into WvW.

You guys did a great job with all that was thrown at you and Im looking forward to playing with you guys again. I can't believe we were in there for over 3 hours and of the whole group we only had maybe 5 deaths that whole time.

See you guys on Thursday for some more for sure.

K.Sabot

The only disappointment I've had with this game that isn't related to bugs is the fact that I've been wearing the same armor model for 30 levels.

Only had one weapon model change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom