• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To those who did make it into WvW.

You guys did a great job with all that was thrown at you and Im looking forward to playing with you guys again. I can't believe we were in there for over 3 hours and of the whole group we only had maybe 5 deaths that whole time.

See you guys on Thursday for some more for sure.
Awesome, thanks for running with that man!

I wish I could have gotten in. On thursday we should probably split again into a "What the hell is this" and an "I know what I'm doing!" group, then merge them after the intro.
About the misspell of the maintenance time. It was so funny.

So glad you got an SS of that. Made me laugh out loud.

Piecake

Awesome, thanks for running with that man!

I wish I could have gotten in. On thursday we should probably split again into a "What the hell is this" and an "I know what I'm doing!" group, then merge them after the intro.

I wish my computer could handle WvW since it seems like a lot of fun :(

Too much shit going on on the screen absolutely tanks by fps. even tried it on the lowest settings and it was still unplayable. Oh well...

Stuart444

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/guild_..._wars_2_overflow_server_separation_error.html

Anyone posted this yet? At least we know what the problem is now.

Anyway, just before me and the gf decided to stop for the night, we decided to do some more of my personal story quests which involved stepping into gendarran fields for the first time from the Kessex Hills entrance.

After getting the first waypoint, I noticed a skill point to the left, I couldn't see it out and about so I thought there must be a cave entrance.

Went around, found it, ran through fighting a couple of spiders and then running from the rest. Once we got near it, we fought some spiders and then saw a veteran level 30 spider.

We were level 27 but we were able to beat it quite nicely by some dodging and maneuvering (and some water ele healing) without anyone else around to help us.

First time beating a veteran monster that was higher than our level without anyone to help us. Felt good and was a rather good fight. :D

Tomorrow, we hope to get two more levels (at 28 now) and complete Gendarran fields fully and maybe try out the story mode AC dungeon. Hopefully some of my Guildies will do it, I'd rather not have to hunt for people in map chat to come with us.

Ken

This is a dumb story quest. Maybe I missed something super important, or maybe I didn't read where the game told me I needed a party, but I don't see how I could do this quest alone without dying multiple times and having every piece of armor broken.

Piecake

This is a dumb story quest. Maybe I missed something super important, or maybe I didn't read where the game told me I needed a party, but I don't see how I could do this quest alone without dying multiple times and having every piece of armor broken.

it was all a devious plan to get you naked. Ive heard people complain about oddly tuned personal story missions. Luckily i havent experienced one yet

speaking of oddly tuned - the asura fire elemental - holy mother of god...

I had to keep hitting checkpoint and running back in before the enemies healed back to full. I did it eventually since I had nothing else to lose. @_@

maybe that's how the story unfolds.

it was all a devious plan to get you naked. Ive heard people complain about oddly tuned personal story missions. Luckily i havent experienced one yet

speaking of oddly tuned - the asura fire elemental - holy mother of god...

would still aim for gold now that i have more skills lol

Jack_AG

Banned
Youll gain much more experience simply exploring and wandering around than grinding mobs. Personally, I love the way they did it. Especially because the world is just so beautiful and you can find some really cool and interesting stuff just wandering around.

Wandering around, you'll find DEs that you would have missed, Points of interest, vistas, and other cool shit. A lot of DEs are triggered, and a good way to go about triggering them is wandering around, talking to people, and then staying after the DE is finished to see what happens next, cause many of the DEs turn into DE chains. You just gotta stick with the NPC

I think its a lot more fun way to play that killing mobs. Hell, I still kill mobs wandering around, but I do it for fun (or crafting stat drops), not for the exp,

Ive yet to find an axe, so thats why i havent tried out sword/axe, but from the beta I exclusively used axe, and now that ive gotten more familar with the sword, it really does seem like sword/axe would be a beastly combo.

I more or less liked the mace off hand for the Aoe knockdown. And well, the axe is simply much better AoE than the mace. Pretty difficult choice what to have as my other weapon set though - Hammer or bow. I do like me some hammer, but its always good to have a rnage weapon, and the bow's F1 ability is seriously beastly, especially combined with the leap and whirl and projectiles youll have access to with bow and sword/axe.
Meh forget sword and roll with a crit build - your crits apply the bleeds for you ;) Nothing like axe/axe and watching your crits apply bleed and vulnerability. Walk up to mob - 2, 4, 5... if they flee throw a 3 in there and if they stay they're dead. I'm 80% to crit right now. If I craft a precision piece and get one more signet i'll sit over 100% chance to crit without activating a single ability.

Ken

Yeah probably. The quest had me fight 3 really strong characters, the Ringmaster with all those anti-cc buffs, and a bunch of weaker but still annoying trash mobs. I assume the game wanted Thackery and the friend to tank for you but they died pretty quickly. Also didn't help that they died where the enemies leash back to, and that one of the enemies has a slow that made kiting impossible.

Human Guardian + Sword and Torch + Noble/Dead Sister background are so fucking entertaining.

Xp7rs.jpg

Nymerio

So I tried that thief on-hit heal skill and it's amazing. I didn't see that you could activate it to receive healing with a relatively short cooldown.

Piecake

Yeah probably. The quest had me fight 3 really strong characters, the Ringmaster with all those anti-cc buffs, and a bunch of weaker but still annoying trash mobs. I assume the game wanted Thackery and the friend to tank for you but they died pretty quickly. Also didn't help that they died where the enemies leash back to, and that one of the enemies has a slow that made kiting impossible.

ah crap, my human is signed up for the circus

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I tried that thief on-hit heal skill and it's amazing. I didn't see that you could activate it to receive healing with a relatively short cooldown.
ALL of the thief signets are ludicrously good in PvE. I'm gonna try that one now.

Trey

Can I not move my skill slots around??

Nope. GUI is locked in.

I definitely died a few times. D/D elementalist going 1v5 (ally NPCs are nearly useless) is not a good look.

Wallach

Ugh, 125 levels of weaponsmithing and I'm still making the same ass looking weaponry.

For Huntsman, 125 was when I gained access to a bunch of different skins. Many of them were from yellow recipes made through discovery with the materials from Karma recipes (the ones from the master trainer by your workstation).

Pistol/Dagger Thief with stuff in Trickery, Shadow Arts, and a little bit of the first trait tree is basically unkillable.

Even with 5 people on me I could just stealth away and pick them off one by one when they separated.

I am not liking having to grind events for xp.

Even with getting all the hearts, skillpoints events and crafting/gathering I still have to grind in order to meet level requirements to not die horrifically.

That's one thing Guild Wars definitely has over this game. Maxed level early on and could proceed at your own pace.

Piecake

For Huntsman, 125 was when I gained access to a bunch of different skins. Many of them were from yellow recipes made through discovery with the materials from Karma recipes (the ones from the master trainer by your workstation).

Around what point did you start crafting 50-75 masterwork items? I know the guide is saying that start doing that at 50, but id love to see the actual math on that since those masterwork pieces take a shit ton of Stat enhancer items

Ken

Pistol/Dagger Thief with stuff in Trickery, Shadow Arts, and a little bit of the first trait tree is basically unkillable.

Even with 5 people on me I could just stealth away and pick them off one by one when they separated.

I am not liking having to grind events for xp.

Even with getting all the hearts, skillpoints events and crafting/gathering I still have to grind in order to meet level requirements to not die horrifically.

That's one thing Guild Wars definitely has over this game. Maxed level early on and could proceed at your own pace.

Tell me more!

docbon

The WvWvW tour is gonna be moved to Thursday night! Hopefully there'll be some queue loosening.

Sounds great. I recommend attendees queue up for the battlegrounds at least 20 minutes prior to the event.

2 higher. I'm Level 7. They're 9.

Just seems so fucking odd, because I've never played another MMO where killing mobs outside of a quest gave you basically nothing. Do 1 quest and gain half a level, just seems like unique game design. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm rather enjoying it.

Just keep in mind mobs give bonus experience based on how long they've been in the world. For example: I've found the Kraits that swim in the WvWvW border zone, as well as other creatures, give a shit ton of experience (~250xp per kill at level 40) because people rarely engage them.

Nyx

Hmm lvl 12 now, and almost nothing to do anymore in Plains of Ashford. (only a few vistas)

What to do now?
Move to another starting-area?
Do heart-events which are completed again?
Kill random mobs?

Nekrono

Wow this game's performance is ALL OVER THE PLACE, what I mean is that playing with everything maxed out (including supersample) and downsampling from 1440p gives me around 30 FPS in WvW PvP with a ton of people fighting on screen, I turned off downsample and played at 1080p also turned off supersample and it gave me 33 FPS lol.

Only 3 frames of difference with one of the biggest FPS hit techniques! Can't complain but I do hope they bring up performance because all that combat at 60 FPS would be delicious even if it means sacrificing downsampling, which would be totally fine if they included an actual AA method other than FXAA.

eek5

Around what point did you start crafting 50-75 masterwork items? I know the guide is saying that start doing that at 50, but id love to see the actual math on that since those masterwork pieces take a shit ton of Stat enhancer items

Do you have a link to the guide? I'm hitting a major wall on both huntsman and artificer

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh my - just played for like 7+ hours straight. Did some quests in the Black Citadel area, including some crazy event in a tomb with 3 crazy hard champions. Saw and rez'd some GAF folk there, too. We had to quit at Horace because apparently PBAoE stands for "fuck everyone in the face forever"

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Hmm lvl 12 now, and almost nothing to do anymore in Plains of Ashford. (only a few vistas)

What to do now?
Kill random mobs?

You can go to another starting area and still get decent experience since the game lowers your level. The EXP scales well

docbon

What to do now?
Kill random mobs?

Finish exploring the zone for the achievement, do your personal quest line, gather resources so you can begin to craft, go to any of the other lower level zones via mists -> lion's arch hub, get acquainted with WvWvW, etc.

I just realized that, by setting the Frame Limiter to 30 fps, I could turn on Supersampling and max out Shadows (with post-processing still off because it looks like crap). I'm a fascist about 60 fps but I hate framerate drops so I find this to be a good compromise.

But seriously, this game is way too CPU-dependent. Not everybody has an Intel Core i7 and the game doesn't even look that pretty so ArenaNet had better optimize their shit.

Nymerio

ALL of the thief signets are ludicrously good in PvE. I'm gonna try that one now.

Yeah I'm running around with Signet of Agility and Assassin's Signet. Didn't really like the thief during the beta but I decided to give it another try and I'm glad I did. Yesterday was the day when everything finally started to click. Love the pop in and out of stealth mechanic.

I think I'll try that Pistol/Dagger combo today.

Tell me more!

Trickery 30 - XI Hastened Replenisment
Shadow Arts 30 - I Master of Deception, V Infusion of Shadow, XI Shadow's Rejuvenation
(this one isn't needed) Deadly Arts 10 or Acrobatics 10 - Fleet of Shadow

Healing Skill
Stealth Heal Thing

Utility Skills
Blinding Powder
Shadow Refuge

Use Cloak and Dagger then your auto attack for good bleed damage.
4 skill for crippling people.
3 skill for getting away from melee if they are tearing you up.

Stealth when in danger.

Be mindful of 3 second stealth CD upon attacking from stealth.

Consider taking Ambush Trap and Ninja Army elite so you can call ninja's to help you out in though situations.

Usually if there's one or two people, you plus your three ninja's should be able to down them with ease.

Save your allies with BLinding Powder and shadow refuge.

Any finishers your enemies try to use on allies will be interrupted if you stealth them.

While stealthed you can then revive your ally before it wears off.

With this build your stealth timei s increased by one second.

Shadow Refuge stealths in the AOE for 10 whole seconds.

Abuse this.

I use it as my last resort trump card.

Watch as people can't kill you because you are stealthed pretty much constantly. You also regen HP while stealthed with this so you still heal even if your heal stealth skill is down.

Trey

What to do now?
Kill random mobs?

Finish off the zone first and foremost. Then go to another zone within the same level range. Or go to a higher zone if you're feeling confident. Clear that zone. Do a personal story quest here and there. And don't forget to craft.

Wallach

I think it was around 50. For Huntsman, you absolutely need to be leveling through the Discovery pane. Don't even bother with anything but refining or creating materials in Production. Absolutely do not craft any weapon recipes you already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom