• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

etiolate

Banned
ANet responded about the current issues, saying its a backend issue causing most of the major issues.

We're aware that players are having trouble getting into the same overflow map as their party members, and our developers are working on fixing this. In the meantime, try a workaround: right-click your party member's icon in the top left-hand corner of your screen and select "join". ~RB2

“We currently have a couple serious bugs with one of our important back end systems. This error is causing the loss of trading post, players to sometimes be separated and unable to travel to each other when switching maps and entering overflow servers, and numerous guild errors. We are very sorry for this inconvenience and are currently working around the clock to try and remedy this error.”

http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/guild-wars-2-grouping-fix-coming-soon/

I hope that in the future, ANet adds these sort of notices and patch changes to their launcher so it's easier for the average player to find.

is it intentional when you're in a city or a distance away you lose sight of your party? i was walking up the steps in Divinity's Reach and his party icon disappears

XeroSauce

is it intentional when you're in a city or a distance away you lose sight of your party? i was walking up the steps in Divinity's Reach and his party icon disappears

It's a temporary issue that ANet pulled in high traffic areas to reduce server load. It should be okay after a few weeks.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When I was doing the Metrica puzzle with Aeana us both that the other person is in WvW, despite us being on the same map, without any overflows. It fixed itself when we saw each other on screen.

I'm enjoying the game but something about it just disappoints me. Mostly the combat really. With WoW, there is an extremely tight feedback loop in terms of indicating what is going on in combat through visual cues. It feels like GW2 combat is just, for lack of a better word, a clusterfuck. The visual and auditory cues for your spells and other players spells aren't as apparent as they are in WoW. The second you get more than 5 or 6 people it's just a barrage of crap going on and it's really hard to keep track of. With WoW, it actually does an extremely good job at letting you know what is going on with a fair amount of players. I also much prefer the UI design in WoW. The UI in GW2 leaves much to be desired.

I also hate that my spells will cast even if I'm outside of range. Oh damn, blew a CD because I was two meters short. Yay.

I like dynamic events, at least conceptually, but the weakness of the combat leaves a lot to be desired. I feel like if we took this games design, and put in WoW's combat, it would CRUSH WoW. The best way I can explain it is how the Quake games just feel right, but some other FPS games feel floaty. Tight controls is a hard thing to explain I guess.

It's a good game, but as an ex WoW player it's pretty hard to stomach the weakness of the combat.

KingKong

a couple of things

1) bows are awesome! I'm a warrior and I've been using guns but I got a nice bow and the skills are really great. there's a couple of great AOE skills and it's definitely much easier (in PVE at least) than melee

2) cooking is awesome too. I was doing leatherworking/armorcrafting but once I made the 8 slot bags, it just wasnt that fun. Cooking is a lot of fun because all the ingredients make a lot more sense and discovery is great and gives huge xp. It's also super easy to make bread which gives you more xp for kills. The only annoying thing is that some seemingly low level combination required high cooking skill, so I'd have to grind it. Also I have no idea where to go to grind stuff like carrots or blueberries, I wish the NPC just sold them. Maybe if the trading post was up I could buy those there

3) What's the best post 15 zone? I finished Queensdale and went to Kessex Hills but I'm tired of being in the forest and fighting generic enemies (and I have my story quests in there anyway so I'll already explore it that way)

Taffer

Also I have no idea where to go to grind stuff like carrots or blueberries, I wish the NPC just sold them. Maybe if the trading post was up I could buy those there

I found a place in the north of Caledon Forest full of carrots and raptors. Raptors being famous for their love of carrots, of course.

My dual dagger Elementalist is now level 37 and coming along nicely.

gw038.jpg

KingKong

a couple more thoughts

1) They should do a better job giving people armor and weapons. The quest rewards so far have been very average (slightly better piece of armor or whatever) and the drops had been the same. The one time I saw great items is when I 100%ed a zone but I couldn't use either of them. Should I be buying them from merchants? Which ones and where?

2) I really feel that there should be quests. The problem I have with hearts is that they're completely mindless and DEs are just killing things for the most part. Quests dont have to be collecting bear asses or whatever, they could use unique mechanics (like WoW does with vehicle controls for all kinds of things), make you explore areas, and highlight points of interest. Right now I'm finding these POIs and maybe there are events nearby, but it would be great to have something unique to that specific place

spk

Those of you who are downsampling and/or using AO what is your FPS? I just tried 2160p w/quality AO and barely averaged 15. Even at 1080p with quality AO it's like 35 fps :(. Also AO switches on and off depending on the camera angle even at native res..

570, 8gb, 4ghz 2500k

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
a couple more thoughts

1) They should do a better job giving people armor and weapons. The quest rewards so far have been very average (slightly better piece of armor or whatever) and the drops had been the same. The one time I saw great items is when I 100%ed a zone but I couldn't use either of them. Should I be buying them from merchants? Which ones and where?

2) I really feel that there should be quests. The problem I have with hearts is that they're completely mindless and DEs are just killing things for the most part. Quests dont have to be collecting bear asses or whatever, they could use unique mechanics (like WoW does with vehicle controls for all kinds of things), make you explore areas, and highlight points of interest. Right now I'm finding these POIs and maybe there are events nearby, but it would be great to have something unique to that specific place

What level are you? You should check out Kessex.

Cystm

I'm enjoying the game but something about it just disappoints me. Mostly the combat really. With WoW, there is an extremely tight feedback loop in terms of indicating what is going on in combat through visual cues. It feels like GW2 combat is just, for lack of a better word, a clusterfuck. The visual and auditory cues for your spells and other players spells aren't as apparent as they are in WoW. The second you get more than 5 or 6 people it's just a barrage of crap going on and it's really hard to keep track of. With WoW, it actually does an extremely good job at letting you know what is going on with a fair amount of players. I also much prefer the UI design in WoW. The UI in GW2 leaves much to be desired.

I also hate that my spells will cast even if I'm outside of range. Oh damn, blew a CD because I was two meters short. Yay.

I like dynamic events, at least conceptually, but the weakness of the combat leaves a lot to be desired. I feel like if we took this games design, and put in WoW's combat, it would CRUSH WoW. The best way I can explain it is how the Quake games just feel right, but some other FPS games feel floaty. Tight controls is a hard thing to explain I guess.

It's a good game, but as an ex WoW player it's pretty hard to stomach the weakness of the combat.

Interesting. In terms of the combat, It's always been my experience that it feeling like a cluster fuck is an indication of a real lack of understanding of how the combat mechanics should function. So, presumably given time, you would change that opinion after figuring it out.

In other words, someone coming in to WoW might say the combat is a cluster fuck, but you and I would tend to disagree with that, I would think.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game to see the functionality of combat in action. It seems so delicious in theory, multi-class ability combos in particular.

Played Guardian today for a few hours and I think I can say that I've found my main. This past weekend I took an engineer to level 20 but it never really hooked me like the Guardian has.

The fact that this game doesn't have a sub makes me really glad I picked it up. It doesn't give me that same "I'm paying a sub for this so I need to play as much as possible," mentality that WoW gave me. It's actually relaxing to run around and explore and not worry about keeping up.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
a couple more thoughts

Well, there is pretty good gear on renowned venders.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So we didn't get to do the WvW tour tonight but that didn't stop us from partyin'

10adc93f50dac074231cd90cddef2775.gif

And I even met a floating bear named Ted in Divinity's Reach!

Tonight was truly magical.

Dafaq? You didn't record all the shit after the party? What about the hangover. I'm disappointed.

etiolate

Banned
Interesting. In terms of the combat, It's always been my experience that it feeling like a cluster fuck is an indication of a real lack of understanding of how the combat mechanics should function. So, presumably given time, you would change that opinion after figuring it out.

In other words, someone coming in to WoW might say the combat is a cluster fuck, but you and I would tend to disagree with that, I would think.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game to see the functionality of combat in action. It seems so delicious in theory, multi-class ability combos in particular.

The combat will feel chaotic at first. Over time, you will learn the language of the combat and the depth of the combat. Many people get the impression that its button spammy at first, but once you understand that many of the skills do multiple things for a reason, you start to realize that it's not best to just hit whatever is off cooldown.

The UI is on the minimalistic side for a reason. You have to pay attention to what the enemies and enemy players are doing in their animations more than any UI alerts. Once you adjust to this, you can start reading the game better.

I do feel they should add a visual exclamation alert on big attack hits for open world PVE. Due to the size of Dynamic Events, it is much harder to read the visual tells and read the battlefield. A simple little spidey-sense alert above your player's head will be able to help deal with the issue of clustered bodies. I would keep this feature out of dungeons and pvp though.

foladar

Apparently there's a bug with the monthly achievement for XP without dying? I managed to get up to 85,704 but my client d/c'd in town, and now it's no longer going up. Ugh, third time this has happened...

foladar

Fingers crossed- all invite/grouping/TP issues fixed after this?

One would hope. I just want a working TP so I can try to work on crafting some, since I've outleveled it. Would be nice if the monthly achievement for not dying would work, too, since the month is nearly over.

"One would hope. I just want a working TP so I can try to work on crafting some, since I've outleveled it. Would be nice if the monthly achievement for not dying would work, too, since the month is nearly over."

That achievement worked just fine for me.

Engineer with Rifle + Flamethrower pack absolutely destroys enemies one vs one.

Shoot them from 1000 range, when they get close, net, then overcharged shot. Switch to flamethrower, use the second skill, when they get close use the airblast. If they get close again, use the smokescreen. Switch back to rifle set. Repeat.

Decided to make an Asura Elementalist. Seems fun thus far, but I haven't unlocked Earth attunement yet.

foladar

"One would hope. I just want a working TP so I can try to work on crafting some, since I've outleveled it. Would be nice if the monthly achievement for not dying would work, too, since the month is nearly over."

That achievement worked just fine for me.

If you get downed, you don't die but it still stops the counter. And three times now, I've not been downed or killed, yet my counter has stopped due to a D/C apparently.

It was going up before the game crashed, then the game crashed and now it's stuck so likely reset on the crash again.

"I've done that to everything I've come across, it just seems really slow. I don't come across much leather in general whereas I'm drowning in copper ore and green wood."

It'll also come from the loot bags that drop from humanoids, bandits, etc.

"Engineer with Rifle + Flamethrower pack absolutely destroys enemies one vs one. "

Try running with 2 kits for permanent swiftness and even more knockbacks/cripples/blinds.

khefka

Neo Member
Cities don't give you great rewards. It's all about the zones.
Yeah figured that but still. Maybe if I can stop black screening long enough to play the game proper I'll find out firsthand.

All weekend I could play for 5-10 minutes with the occasional 2 or 3 second blackscreen before crashing with an unrecoverable graphics error. Reinstalled Windows and tried various drivers but nothing seemed to help, but after the new build last night and newest nvidia drivers I was actually able to play for over an hour without crashing (although still got occasional black screen for a few seconds)! I did not get one black screen in BWE3 and I played quite a bit so I don't really think it is an issue on my end, but still thinking about upgrading regardless.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah it changed the numbers on my account name after registering my box copy serial code. I am not sure what this will do to people trying to find me via my old number.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Leather rare? Ha ha, have you seen the amount of Jute one gets?

Hawkian, there's a wired x360 controller, you know. :)

Beggar's Burrow solves the jute problem pretty quickly.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play this but I'm not sure my HD5650 can hack it.

Trey

The downed mechanic, at least for PVE, is a masterstroke. The little adrenaline rush you get when you stave off death with a second wind is potent. It's really a much, much better alternative to GW1's method of handling death, and really any MMO I've (briefly) played. Of course, the waypoint system is a crucial element to its success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom