• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

4MMqD.png

Is this normal? My stats seem kinda ridiculous lmao.

I feel like there is a negative campaign in select quarters against Guild Wars; people are saying the game will die within the month. And when folks like Jeff Gertsmann are dismissive of the game, however annoying, people go completely mental. I get you're enjoying the game (like myself), though why do people care about what a few people think?

This has been very noticable with other games too. I put it down to a mix guilds from a certain other game doing their best to keep people from leaving their game and a number of people who will simply never be happy flitting from one game to the next as they are released whinging.

I still don't get why people hate SWTOR for example.

Is there a guide somewhere i i can understand loot classifications? what is junk? what can be salvaged? etc

Im picking up everything and im not sure what trophies are used for, they useful for crafting?

Any good engineer builds? I've been rocking the flame thrower but I'm wondering about all the different possibilities.

For PvE, I run with Rifle, Elixir B, Elixir U, Elixir Gun, with 10 points in the Alchemy track, and II (Fast-acting Elixirs). It's useful for solo and group, since you can throw a field effect using Elixir U, then combo into that with the rifle's Jump Shot.

For PvP, I run Pistol+Shield, Grenade Kit, Slick Shoes, Bomb Kit and Mortar Launcher, with points into Explosives with XI in Grandmaster to add more grenades thrown. The Big Bomb from the Bomb Kit is great for clearing a point, and Slick Shoes + dropping bombs behind you really ruins pursuers.

RossCo

Neo Member
Hey lets do some WvW guys!

balance.jpg

*goes back to leveling*

Is desolation one of the "WvW centered" servers? I know people were clustering towards certain ones who wanted to focus on that, and we have been doing pretty well on Gandara for WvW up until now.

2San

Is desolation one of the "WvW centered" servers? I know people were clustering towards certain ones who wanted to focus on that, and we have been doing pretty well on Gandara for WvW up until now.
Well yeah, we've been outzerging everyone. Desolation has the same amount of people if not more. Desolation and Gandara are both unofficial UK servers with Desolation being the primary choice.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I fell through the world, Kinda fun!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evlcookie/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=shortcut_41578

There was some level 11 elite angry troll that was just stomping everyone. Thankfully on the second attempt with more random people turning up we were able to take it down.

It was kinda cool. Reminded me off a boss fight, some chaotic stuff was going on although I wasn't really able to figure out what sort of aoe the troll was doing and what was ours. It all blended together and since there's no holy trinity, no one was really tanking it. So it was just this odd clusterfuck of madness for a minute or so.

Vinci

Danish
I feel like there is a negative campaign in select quarters against Guild Wars; people are saying the game will die within the month. And when folks like Jeff Gertsmann are dismissive of the game, however annoying, people go completely mental. I get you're enjoying the game (like myself), though why do people care about what a few people think?

My view is ArenaNet managed to last with a sizeable population for seven years with Guild Wars. Guild Wars 2 is a better game completely, so why won't it last for at least the same amount of time while having greater popularity?

I actually heard a radio show discuss the game yesterday morning. The guy claimed to have put in a hundred hours during the Beta and he introduced it by saying (paraphrased obviously), "In this land of dwarves, elves, and goblins, players will choose a race and then head into competition with one another in a setting called World versus World versus World in which three servers fight each other over territory. For this part of the game, everyone is raised in level to the max and given max level gear and skills in order to have the competition run on even footing between the players. What's obvious is how much more effort the developer put into the player versus player aspect of the game, in hopes that having a marginal effort on the other parts won't hurt the game's popularity down the line and saved them likely a lot in development money. There simply isn't that much to do otherwise, sadly."

At that point I couldn't hear him anymore over the sound of my own cursing.

Violet_0

Banned
Server transfer are still free. And the guild is far from being full, but the invites are still bugged it seems.

Still, it'd be nice to know who to contact (Ferny, update that post already), I'm currently not on Stormbluff Isle so I can't ask anyone.
---

a short Mesmer guide for the first 30 levels (because my Mesmer happens to be level 30 now):

- the first 25 or so levels are tough. Don't be discouraged, it gets better, but leveling is definitely harder with this profession.
- we don't exactly have the highest damage output, not even close. If you want that, play imbaWarrior or Elementalist. Also, we tend to die really fast.
- unless you use a torch, I highly suggest getting Decoy as your first utility skill, as it boosts your survivability dramatically.
- I use sword/pistol & greatsword, so let me talk about these weapons - sword and phantasms are your main damage dealers. If you can, auto-attack enemies with your sword whenever possible, it deals at least twice as much damage as your greatsword (and can hit multiple enemies). The second sword skill, Blurred Frenzy, deals great (AoE) damage and makes you practically invulnerable for the next 2 seconds, use it as often as possible (in boss fights, run in, use Blurred Frenzy and get the hell out again). Switch between sword and greatsword whenever Phantasmal Duelist or Phantasmal Berserker can be cast again. For AoE damage, your best option with this setup is unfortunately to auto-attack with your sword or cast Beserker.
- I can summon golems!

jUYjs5AzfOasC.jpg

magic, yo

Lucifon

Just had 6 emails saying someone tried to reset my password this morning. Anyone else getting hack attempts on their account?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just had 6 emails saying someone tried to reset my password this morning. Anyone else getting hack attempts on their account?
That's mostly why I'm not putting my username anywhere public (like the spreadsheets). Anyone can just search the internet with it (if you use it often) and try to find out what e-mail you regularly attach your stuff to.

Aeana

That's mostly why I'm not putting my username anywhere public (like the spreadsheets). Anyone can just search the internet with it (if you use it often) and try to find out what e-mail you regularly attach your stuff to.

It doesn't do them much good if they can't get into your e-mail account, though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It doesn't do them much good if they can't get into your e-mail account, though.
And in my case, they'd never actually be able to log in to it, but it doesn't matter. I was flipping out during the Blizzard hack because I didn't want any more World of Warcraft junk mail. I try to keep that kind of stuff hidden away because I'm anal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone have any tips for survivability as a Necro? My life leech skills aren't very...leechy. I've got 5 traits pumped into the condition damage increase right now and have been using two of the large poison AoEs for encounters. It's working pretty great for damage, but when I start taking punishment, I'm pretty much a ticking time bomb.

Is there any balancing mechanisms in place for WvWvW to help sides that are losing? Because right now it seems highly unbalanced that one side takes the lead, they generally have all the supply and all the siege weapons which gives them huge advantage. Any attempts to take back anything is met with walls of heavy firepower so the battlegrounds tend to not change once a side takes any semi big lead. Even WAR had more frequent resets on stuff to keep one side from locking down stuff forever.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Someone keeps trying to reset my password.. :/

Making me nervous.

He'll never be able to accomplish anything other than annoying you.

And they seriously need an Authenticator system in place. It's laughable that they don't have one already.

I never got in, we're scheduling it. How's Thursday 8:30PM est?

Might be a little hectic for me. I leave Saturday morning for a 2 week vacation. But I'll try to make it for sure! If nothing I can log in and que up an hour early and kind of go AFK and get shit done.

That's how hooked I am

"Hey FP, we need to go and get a step down converter so we can plug our things in over there"
"That's great babe, can't wait!"
"Uh, you have to come with, I'm not sure what to get"
*playing GW2*
"Babe?"
"Sounds fantastic, you're the greaFUCK I DIED"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is there any balancing mechanisms in place for WvWvW to help sides that are losing? Because right now it seems highly unbalanced that one side takes the lead, they generally have all the supply and all the siege weapons which gives them huge advantage. Any attempts to take back anything is met with walls of heavy firepower so the battlegrounds tend to not change once a side takes any semi big lead. Even WAR had more frequent resets on stuff to keep one side from locking down stuff forever.

Why should losers get benefits? They shouldn't have let that one side dominate everything in the first place. It's not unbalanced.

Why should losers get benefits? They shouldn't have let that one side dominate everything in the first place. It's not unbalanced.

It's called a game still. And when one side dominates, the server doesn't want to even try anymore. Players are not even bothering to do WvWvW on these servers that are losing since there is nothing that can be done to really fight back.

Winners are given an advantage in supply and weapons which just further unbalances it by making it not possible to fight back. Why even bother attempting to fight back when there really is no chance for it? Lets make some XP and such doing WvWvW? Nope you get crap for player kills and without being able to capture anything or go anywhere in the dominated BG's, there is no point in even playing. So instead WvWvW is pretty much worth nothing for these servers who are losing. It's also not the servers fault that these huge organized alliances have zerged everything early on even before launch.

The whole thing should rotate more frequently and reset so things servers can actually enjoy wvwvw

I spent like 2 hours trying to complete the Troll's End jumping puzzle last night, and got increasingly frustrated. It wasn't so much a 'puzzle' as it was a fight with the camera in tight spaces where my head is clipping through the ceiling. I finally made it out of that damned cave, and immediately fell on the first jump to the chest, because I didn't understand that if I missed I'd have to do the whole thing over. Promptly logged.

Would it be easier with an Asura? My Norn's forehead was literally in the ceiling.

Wallach

I spent like 2 hours trying to complete the Troll's End jumping puzzle last night, and got increasingly frustrated. It wasn't so much a 'puzzle' as it was a fight with the camera in tight spaces where my head is clipping through the ceiling. I finally made it out of that damned cave, and immediately fell on the first jump to the chest, because I didn't understand that if I missed I'd have to do the whole thing over. Promptly logged.

Would it be easier with an Asura? My Norn's forehead was literally in the ceiling.

That area is pretty fucked for Norn right now. Last time I tried it the camera was bugged and would go entirely unresponsive if you turned it too closely into a wall. I got that achievement a couple days ago so the camera broke sometime between then and yesterday. I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen to the smaller character models.

khefka

Neo Member
Anyone else run into bugs in their personal story quest? Sylvari level 16 quest Trading Trickery the frog things won't show up for the meeting, tried standing around for about 10 minutes and running all around the small quest area but nothing happens.

Anyone have a nice Guardian PVE build? Thanks in advance.
I haven't looked too in depth in traits or builds, but so far I've put points into Zeal and plan to get the Fiery Wrath trait. Seems like it would be a good combo with the virtue we have, also with some slot skills like purging flames and judge's intervention.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Anyone have any tips for survivability as a Necro? My life leech skills aren't very...leechy. I've got 5 traits pumped into the condition damage increase right now and have been using two of the large poison AoEs for encounters. It's working pretty great for damage, but when I start taking punishment, I'm pretty much a ticking time bomb.

What weapon loadout are you using? I am staff and scepter/dagger. I stay alive by kiting and letting mobs bleed out. I start out dropping marks with my staff, pull the mobs through them with my scepter at which point they are slowed, then there's the scepter slow, and there's the blind with dagger offhand to avoid another hit. If you don't have slows all I can say is make sure to be abusing your F1 ability, the second lifebar/fear is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom