• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What weapon loadout are you using? I am staff and scepter/dagger. I stay alive by kiting and letting mobs bleed out. I start out dropping marks with my staff, pull the mobs through them with my scepter at which point they are slowed, then there's the scepter slow, and there's the blind with dagger offhand to avoid another hit. If you don't have slows all I can say is make sure to be abusing your F1 ability, the second lifebar/fear is nice.

I think I'm using a scepter/horn with dual dagger on switch. I may try a staff out since condition damage is awesome. Thanks for the idea!

Yup I got one too, they need some kind of 2-step verification program. Either text to phone or authenticator

Just got one as well.

That area is pretty fucked for Norn right now. Last time I tried it the camera was bugged and would go entirely unresponsive if you turned it too closely into a wall. I got that achievement a couple days ago so the camera broke sometime between then and yesterday. I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen to the smaller character models.

The entire cave/plank section is pretty terrible, but the first plank jump (after falling down the shaft of light) is the worst. I could finally do it about 50% of the time via a series of blind maneuvers, and then a completely blind jump. Just be careful about how you move the camera around, because it can get completely stuck, to the point where the only thing you can do it mash wasd randomly, fall off the plank and /cry.

Druz

On my server Maguuna(blue) we were dominating day one. Henge of Denravi(green) took over and from there it has been 1 sided.

This is all fine, they appear organized compared to my server. The problem I am having is Red attacks us on the side, has yet to attack the keep in the center(green) and has yet to attack greens boundaries let alone supply lines. It is Green and Red vs us instead of 2v1ing whoever is in power at the time, it is pathetic.

How does the server pop work anyway? I assumed it was capped since there is always a Queue we must be making that cap. I say my server is unorganized because whenever we group up we still don't have anywhere near as many people as Red.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Might be a little hectic for me. I leave Saturday morning for a 2 week vacation. But I'll try to make it for sure! If nothing I can log in and que up an hour early and kind of go AFK and get shit done.

That's how hooked I am

"Hey FP, we need to go and get a step down converter so we can plug our things in over there"
"That's great babe, can't wait!"
"Uh, you have to come with, I'm not sure what to get"
*playing GW2*
"Babe?"
"Sounds fantastic, you're the greaFUCK I DIED"
Bummer! I'd be open to tonight instead if that works better for you.

Kimaka

To those who did make it into WvW.

You guys did a great job with all that was thrown at you and Im looking forward to playing with you guys again. I can't believe we were in there for over 3 hours and of the whole group we only had maybe 5 deaths that whole time.

See you guys on Thursday for some more for sure.

Thanks for showing me around even though I couldn't stay the entire time. I'll try to come on Thursday and change some of my settings around or test out WvW with another PC. Hopefully it won't crash again.

Yeah it changed the numbers on my account name after registering my box copy serial code. I am not sure what this will do to people trying to find me via my old number.

So uhh, am I just not seeing where to put in the serial code on my account?

I had the 3 day head start and there doesn't seem to be a link in account to input the full game's code.

Am I supposed to use the register link again?

To anyone else registering their boxed copy, try doing it in the in-game Gem Store by entering it in the Redeem Code form. Doing it this way doesn't force you to change your account name.

Anet really needs to communicate with their player base better. I found out this method by reading it on Gamefaqs since the e-mail they sent me reminding me to attach the boxed copy to the headstart account didn't say how.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This post on reddit gave me goosebumps:
First off, I would like to say the only reason I made this account was to say this. Although this game is brilliant, amazing, awesome and just everything, there is one thing that any good game needs, and that is players.

Now over the last few days, a select few people have been whining over small things like the down time the game had during the stress test or the fact their account got banned for no reason or whatever this is just a small small percentage of players and the majority of this community is amazing, really nice and helpful.

Now finally, to my point, I am a heavy trader, so when I heard the trading post was down, I was a little bit disheartened, but that didn't stop me. I just started doing small trades through mail. Nothing serious so that I didn't lose anything if the other player decided to scam. I started going bigger doing trades with around 40s and every time I sent first they delivered, and sometimes they managed to send to me straight away. I then started experimenting, I sent 30s to random people, messaged them that I accidentally sent it to them and If they could return it. Every single one did. I then sent it back to them telling them It was a test for and they passed so I decided to send them the silver to keep.
But down to statistics I made 35 trades via the mail system. Every single one of those trades went down well. I gave 8 people 30s, and all those people gave the silver back.

Astonishing guys, this is by far, the best community I have ever been in.
Indeed, when I pop into /say, occasionally it's the "lol asshole" type chat you might expect, but more often that not people are just asking and answering questions about game mechanics, giving tips on the active events, or teasing players about not being able to find something special in the current zone.

I was looking like a fool trying to gey my last vista in Lion's Arch and jumping all up and down this suspended structure. Apparently my fruitless efforts were obvious, cause I get a PM: "Follow me!" I look around and see a big friendly Norn with the screenname waving at me. He led me downward and off the side, showing me the correct route up to the vista. I thanked him and he PMed me a ":)". Just a thing of beauty.

Bummer! I'd be open to tonight instead if that works better for you.

Yeah, she's getting her hair done so I should be on after work (get off at 2PM PST) and then just take a quick dinner break around 5ish but then I'm good! Even if it's not a big group we can run around do shit anyway.

Oh, and for those using Warrior what is your weapon of choice?

I used 2H hammer for a while but the moves got pretty boring to me. I'm now using Greatsword which I really like but it doesn't have the variety I'm looking for (especially since I still need to open a 3rd trait)

How are dual weilding? I have to maces, a sheild, a sword I could use to try out but not sure if they're viable.

And what are some good traits for PVE (2 only at the moment, not 20 yet).

This game needs an armory so I can stare at my character while at work and play around with things.

XeroSauce

cbGzl.jpg

I miss sit-jumping.

Banners stay on platforms when they disappear. Helpful to estimate the next jump ahead of time when your friend sucks at jump quests.

XeroSauce

It's called a game still. And when one side dominates, the server doesn't want to even try anymore. Players are not even bothering to do WvWvW on these servers that are losing since there is nothing that can be done to really fight back.

Winners are given an advantage in supply and weapons which just further unbalances it by making it not possible to fight back. Why even bother attempting to fight back when there really is no chance for it? Lets make some XP and such doing WvWvW? Nope you get crap for player kills and without being able to capture anything or go anywhere in the dominated BG's, there is no point in even playing. So instead WvWvW is pretty much worth nothing for these servers who are losing. It's also not the servers fault that these huge organized alliances have zerged everything early on even before launch.

The whole thing should rotate more frequently and reset so things servers can actually enjoy wvwvw

Eventually the servers will rotate to where they wil lbe facing those of similar size or skill, so it'll balance itself out in time.

I don't see why we don't get more exp for doing it, or even influence/glory or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Engineers get tool belt skills even for racial skills, making Engineer the only class for which Race+Class combo affects what skills you get. Mind blown.

putarorex

I did Cadecus Manor with a PUG and it was much easier and quicker than AC. It might have been the makeup of the group--two engineers (including healing-focused me), one warrior, and two guardians--but we never wiped and I was never defeated, even when we had the classic PUG event where the group went two different ways and pulled two different groups of mobs. There was still bosses that can one or two shot me but it wasn't too bad.

So far I have been impressed with the zones that were not in beta. I was a little worried that they wouldn't live up to what you saw with the starter zones but they are still awesome and some areas are just breathtaking. I can see where the five years of development went. It is a very detailed and interesting world.

RossCo

Neo Member
Well yeah, we've been outzerging everyone. Desolation has the same amount of people if not more. Desolation and Gandara are both unofficial UK servers with Desolation being the primary choice.

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was due to some outstanding tactical brilliant on our part :)

So does Arenanet's logon report different messages for cases where a valid and invalid email is entered for a password reset? Because if they do this is an easy way for someone to just spam for valid account logins for future password hack attempts or phishing emails.

Fucking loving the game so far, by the way :)

Shambles

Game looks great so far. Seems to be a bit of tearing at times even with vsync on. Wife has been kicking my trash. She got up to level 7 last night and has found these crazy stargates that get her around the world while I'm still level 4 and looking for one. Went with a warrior since most people I know are other classes, I wanted to fill a gap. Definitely takes some getting used to, not attacking with the mouse that is. I'll probably turn auto-aim on just so I can make sense of the 20 person events where everyone is trying to kill the same few mobs. I look forward to getting back on tonight.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why's that? I want to roll a heavy armor class but not sure which.

^what does bug it mean? Report?

Because you have very strong defensive and offensive capabilities. A greatsword guardian has a move that pulls in all surrounding enemies and and can then dish out crazy AOE damage with utility, 2, and 3. He also has a great gap closer with his 4 which allows you to just fly around the battlefield. And if things get too difficult, you just run away (with stunbreaks and speed boosts) because lol you're a guardian.

Sephon

This post on reddit gave me goosebumps:

Indeed, when I pop into /say, occasionally it's the "lol asshole" type chat you might expect, but more often that not people are just asking and answering questions about game mechanics, giving tips on the active events, or teasing players about not being able to find something special in the current zone.

I was looking like a fool trying to gey my last vista in Lion's Arch and jumping all up and down this suspended structure. Apparently my fruitless efforts were obvious, cause I get a PM: "Follow me!" I look around and see a big friendly Norn with the screenname waving at me. He led me downward and off the side, showing me the correct route up to the vista. I thanked him and he PMed me a ":)". Just a thing of beauty.

This is what I love the most.
My first encounter with another player shouted "fuck off loser", when I engaged his mob which greatly discouraged me for a while.

Nowadays when I for example die, I know I can just lie there for a minute or so and someone will show up and revive me. Sure it's mostly for the xp/achievements, but the game greatly encourages helping out your fellow player which sprouts a beautiful community.

SalomonA

I helped a norn yesterday when he tried to get up to a vista (the one in the charr starter area where you gotta go to a cannon and get blasted on top of a tower).
My good deed of the day :)

Deepo

This is depressing for me. I have basically the same machine except my CPU is OC'd higher and I have a 690 GTX. Frame-rate is all over the place. Someone start a PC performance thread because this kind of discussion get buried in here.

Would someone be willing to do this? It would be interesting to see what kind of performance people get, and Varna is right that this thread moves to fast for that kind of discussion. Or, if there's already a place for dicussing GW2 performance, someone could point me to it? Thanks!

red13th

Why over the Warrior? I'm liking the Warrior, but not loving it. I'm thinking I might want to try Guardian.

I played the warrior for a short time only but I just didn't get a weapon that made me go "this is amazing" like the greatsword on the guardian. He's a fucking combo machine all by himself with the fields stuff and the finishers, it's really cool.
I'm still low level though, and I intend to revisit the warrior, but I'll make a charr warrior this time, instead of a norn (my guardian is norn).

Crafting is really annoying when I have to craft shit I don't need in order to increase my level so I can start crafting the cool stuff I want.

I don't want to craft anymore salt + pepper packets, or fucking hamburgers. Just let me make goddamn beef soup.

KingKong

Crafting is really annoying when I have to craft shit I don't need in order to increase my level so I can start crafting the cool stuff I want.

I don't want to craft anymore salt + pepper packets, or fucking hamburgers. Just let me make goddamn beef soup.

yeah seriously, I think I combined onion and like something else and it told me I needed 100 cooking skill :I

Are you using the discovery panel? That gives the most amount of XP.

For armorsmithing I have nearly hit level 100 and I have not had to endlessly make the same item over and over again to level. It may be different with cooking though...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
.... why they do this :(

So if I craft a hamburger from the menu it gives less XP than if I do it from the discovery panel, even if I have already discovered it?
No, you will get 2x (?) the xp when you discover the recipe for the first time. You can't discover something more than once.
I suggest you read this great guide.

It's annoying since you have to make so many components that just take up inventory space. So you have the mats, then you build a bunch of unique components which are not considered at crafting materials so they do not go to collections tabs and must be kept in a separate area of inventory or bank. It seems so disorganized. Any parts you make should be able to go to the same place your mats are stored.

Be nice if they did it like SWTOR did where you can craft with the mats directly from the bank. Game lets you access your bank while crafting directly, you got to move stuff back and forth manually. Just let us use the mats direct from the bank instead of having to move it to our inventory.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is there any good resources for learning PvP builds and what to do? As I'm finding it to be complete garbage (sPvP here)

I played the warrior for a short time only but I just didn't get a weapon that made me go "this is amazing" like the greatsword on the guardian. He's a fucking combo machine all by himself with the fields stuff and the finishers, it's really cool.
I'm still low level though, and I intend to revisit the warrior, but I'll make a charr warrior this time, instead of a norn (my guardian is norn).

Man,I might switch to a Guardian then.

No, you will get 2x (?) the xp when you discover the recipe for the first time. You can't discover something more than once.

In that case, I simply don't have enough ingredients to discover anything new. I've tried combinations of everything. And I've bought pretty much all the basic stuff from the merchants. Everything is either too high a level, or I lack enough of one hard to find ingredient (eggs, poultry...).

It's annoying since you have to make so many components that just take up inventory space. So you have the mats, then you build a bunch of unique components which are not considered at crafting materials so they do not go to collections tabs and must be kept in a separate area of inventory or bank. It seems so disorganized

This too. This x2000000.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's annoying since you have to make so many components that just take up inventory space. So you have the mats, then you build a bunch of unique components which are not considered at crafting materials so they do not go to collections tabs and must be kept in a separate area of inventory or bank. It seems so disorganized
"Deposit All Components" would be a great feature. At the end of a crafting session I have stuff left in my inventory I have absolutely no use for until the next session.

Yessss. All those intermediate parts should be depositable.

edit: what do you guys do with mats that you won't use? I.e. I'm doing jewelcrafting and leatherworking, but I continue to harvest logs and ingredients, etc. Wait until the trading post is functional and sell them?

Aeana

"Deposit All Components" would be a great feature. At the end of a crafting session I have stuff left in my inventory I have absolutely no use for until the next session.
A better feature would be to let you craft with the materials still in the bank in the first place. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom