• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Tried PvP for the first time last night. Gave me a lot of Dark Age of Camelot vibes. Good and bad. In the end it was nothing but a zerg fest. The game auto-detects and sets most of my graphic settings on high and I'm able to get a decent frame rate. Usually it moves between 30 and 60. Going into WvWvW caused my screen to turn into a slide show. Had to turn everything to low in order to get anything reasonable performance. Even after leaving and getting back to the main human city performance was still an issue. Had to reboot my computer in order to fix it and to go back to my normal settings. :( Think I'm done with PvP for this game at the moment. I have nostalgia for a DAoC Frontier styled PvP setup but I don't like the zerg nature that comes with that, especially when my performance takes such a massive hit.

Edit: What is the point depositing components. Do they get turned into someone? Just another inventory screen? Can you craft by having them in that section but not in the inventory?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
"Deposit All Components" would be a great feature. At the end of a crafting session I have stuff left in my inventory I have absolutely no use for until the next session.

Is there a thread over at Reddit on little shit that needs to be changed? I know at least two Arena Net folk post over there. This is gold.

A better feature would be to let you craft with the materials still in the bank in the first place. :|

Also this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played the warrior for a short time only but I just didn't get a weapon that made me go "this is amazing" like the greatsword on the guardian. He's a fucking combo machine all by himself with the fields stuff and the finishers, it's really cool.
I'm still low level though, and I intend to revisit the warrior, but I'll make a charr warrior this time, instead of a norn (my guardian is norn).

This is very true. With the guardian greatsword, you can use Smite and Pain Inverter, and you can stack 3 different conditions and then combo the crap out of the target. It's too much fun.

Engineer seems a master of one vs one. I finally got rocket boots, and the battering ram. My opponents wont be able to touch me at all.

Going to give Guardian a spin later, but probably avoid making it a Norn this time. I really really HATE the Norn starting area and quests.

Edit: What is the point depositing components. Do they get turned into someone? Just another inventory screen? Can you craft by having them in that section but not in the inventory?

Mats for crafting are held in a separate inventory. But to build items you have to build parts with those mats. Those parts you make don't go in the material collection and have to held in bank or inventory.

JudgeN

A question for those that have done a PvE dungeon, do the fights get more strategic in those dungeon settings? Game is great but I i'm worried about that PvE content will become nothing more then a zerkfest like all the dynamic events tend to become.

Proven

A question for those that have done a PvE dungeon, do the fights get more strategic in those dungeon settings? Game is great but I i'm worried about that PvE content will become nothing more then a zerkfest like all the dynamic events tend to become.

Well, you only get a max of 5 people to enter the instance...

Zafir

Sigh, did the jumping puzzle in the eternal battlegrounds with a friend. We got near to the end, and both of us got disconnected at the same time. :/ Not looking forward to having to do all that again.

arimanius

Got my asura engineer to 14 and hit the fire elemental event. After 6 deaths decided to try my hand at a human warrior. Got him to level 6 and he's pretty fun but I'm concerned about pvp.

Can anyone chime in SPvP and WvWvW with a warrior? My experience has always been range >> melee. I know warriors can wield longbows and rifles, but not sure how well they can use them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm gonna give the guided newbie tour of WvW another shot tonight. Official start time will be 9 once again, but you may want to queue up as early as possible if you'd like to participate. I'll probably hop in the queue at 8.

This is simple hands-on overview of the basics of WvW, how to contribute and what you can do to help Stormbluff Isle along its path of dominance. It will be geared toward people who have never played before or who have no idea what's going on.

Please post in this thread if interested (yes the thread title is now wrong): http://gafguild.com/index.php?threa...ided-newbie-tour-at-9-00pm-est.151/#post-3546

You don't need a mic (though it's nice to have people to talk to!) but you will need Mumble at least to listen in.

edit: Damn, there's a jumping puzzle in EB?

JudgeN

Well, you only get a max of 5 people to enter the instance...

That means nothing though you can still zerk with 5 people. With the game lack of the holy trinity i'm curious to see how these dungeons actually work considering everyone pretty much self-sufficient.

I'll be on again tonight at 8 and jumping into WvW again with Hawk. It was a ton of fun last night and I encourage anyone who hasn't tried it before to come on out. Its not just a zerg fest trust me.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
He'll never be able to accomplish anything other than annoying you.

And they seriously need an Authenticator system in place. It's laughable that they don't have one already.

I've only had an account with them for 2 days and people are already trying to hack my shit. How do they even know I have an account?

Zafir

edit: Damn, there's a jumping puzzle in EB?
Yeah, you can access it through a portal in the basement of an owned keep. It's pretty big, we spent just under an hour doing it(Making the disconnection all the more frustrating). There's even a dark room which you have to platform through while avoiding traps and enemy players.

I did the first one with some people that I have known for a while and feel that they are above average players. We wiped maybe 6 times and we weren't even half way through it and this is just level 30 content.

I've only had an account with them for 2 days and people are already trying to hack my shit. How do they even know I have an account?

Maybe for the sake of security, names of already approved members, or at least their Guild Wars 2 account names, should be removed from the public spreadsheet.

chiablo

Got my second attempt at a password reset in an hour! I love emails!

I'm one recovery email away from getting 1Password. Not that I'm necessarily paranoid or value my virtual goods that much, but it seems like every forum or online service gets hacked eventually (cough cough Sony cough) and creating a unique password for every site and remembering them gets tiresome.

LkPr

I just heard there is a playable organ somewhere...?

yes in the Caledon forest, top right hand corner almost at the bottom of the sea. There is a heart quest up there very close to the organ

... actually I believe the NPC that gives the heart quest is right beside the organ (I found it last night)

centracore

I started a guardian on Stormbluff Isle last night and ended up getting to level 6. So far I'm really liking the game but confused on a couple things.. Is there a bank (or something of the sort) to store stuff in so it isn't eating up my inventory space? Also, is there a good tutorial or write up on the crafting system and how it works?

I started a guardian on Stormbluff Isle last night and ended up getting to level 6. So far I'm really liking the game but confused on a couple things.. Is there a bank (or something of the sort) to store stuff in so it isn't eating up my inventory space? Also, is there a good tutorial or write up on the crafting system and how it works?

There are banks in the major towns, just keep your eyes open. You also have access to your bank at any crafting station. Also, you can deposit 'collectibles,' i.e. crafting materials without needing to go into town at all. Just right click on the collectible, or click on the cog in the inventory screen and select 'deposit all collectibles.' Also make sure to buy some salvage kits to break down equipment and some loot you don't need.

This is the guide I read, got it from someone else in the thread. Super helpful

http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_crafting/post_35198.html

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm one recovery email away from getting 1Password. Not that I'm necessarily paranoid or value my virtual goods that much, but it seems like every forum or online service gets hacked eventually (cough cough Sony cough) and creating a unique password for every site and remembering them gets tiresome.

Yeah, I've been tempted to use something similar. I really just need to keep a list in my phone of random passwords to websites I use. I also need to start using completely random passwords that are theoretically "un-guessable".

E: Who pays for the Mumble server? GAF via revenue or someone in particular?

th3dude

I can highly recommend 1Password. Started using it a year ago and never looked back.

HildyB

I've been using LastPass (free) for the past couple years and love it. Same thing as 1Password. It's browser plugin based, web based, or mobile (for $12/yr). It has been great for me since I'm a internet whore and have over 140 sites I'm registered at, each with a strong unique password.

zlatko

Banned
Just started my FOURTH character. I'm so undecided.

I've made 7 total so far, and erased 2, sitting on 5 characters.

I have made for my 5:

Asura Necro
Norn Warrior
Charr Engineer
Human Thief
Sylvari Ranger

Highest level is my Asura Necro which is level 10 I think. None of the classes really pop out at me thus far. The race that sticks out is Charr, because I like their starting area and how the story was unfolding up to level 5.

After that the Norn had a great story, and had the best laid out starting area. Easy to navigate and I even got a 100% completion of the area for Hoelbrak.

I haven't found a class yet that is OMGWTFAWESOME fun like the classes in say Final Fantasy XI. I wish this game had a hand to hand monk class. :(

After that the Norn had a great story, and had the best laid out starting area. Easy to navigate and I even got a 100% completion of the area for Hoelbrak.

Do you remember how you got to the traveler's loft, or knut whitebear's loft? I can't figure it out for the life of me!

Bank's are in big cities. You can also sell junk and stuff, or send collectables to your bank by right clicking in the inventory menu the little options thing in the upper right.

There is a good crafting tutorial but I can't find the link dangit, at work.

And I just got a friend to buy the game, he'll be starting tonight so I think I will have to pass on the WvW, I'm going to reroll a Sylvari Guardian and do that zone with him.

Edit: I also really want a Charr and my name that I gave my Warrior (Charcoal) ... is there anyway to change the Warrior name and use that name for the guardian? Or do I have to delete it?

Ferny

Names you should whisper for an invite to the guild. You can't be in overflow when accepting so make sure you are not before whispering.

Ferny: Ferny
Hawkian: Hawkian The Blade
Jira: Gojira
Kayos09: Shadow Kayos
Maxrpg: Ashodin Venteal
Retro: Professor Retro
Warrior_Keoni: Nephenee Reginleif

nataku

A question for all you CE owners in the US. How many art prints did you get?

The site says you should get 5, but I only received 4. I'm missing the black and white mesmer looking girl. It's shown here in the unboxing video posted earlier and you can see part of it on the official image on the ANet site for the CE.

Is that print a EU only thing?

I hate to quote myself and ask again, but no one replied and this is probably the easiest place to ask since I know several people here picked up the CE as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Names you should whisper for an invite to the guild. You can't be in overflow when accepting so make sure you are not before whispering.

Get online you slackers! ;)

Crafting is really annoying when I have to craft shit I don't need in order to increase my level so I can start crafting the cool stuff I want.

I don't want to craft anymore salt + pepper packets, or fucking hamburgers. Just let me make goddamn beef soup.

At least with cooking you can buy almost all the materials you need. The real crafting professions all take exorbitant amounts of ingredients dropped from enemies, and with the AH down, it's farm or be fucked because you can't just buy them. I leveled cooking farther in 10 minutes than I leveled weaponsmithing in 3 days.

bogg

Got my ranger to 33, liking her so far. Pretty simple class to play as, my biggest issue as of now is the lack of support skills.
I think I'm about to hit a wall with my crafting, going from 125-150 is going to be a bitch.
Any gandara gafers want to run through the ascalonian catacombs (that's the level 30 instance right?) later tonight?

Where are you EU GAF? :(
What's your name? I'll add you to my (empty) friend list in-game. Or whisper me at oddo.4286.

Who do we need to whisper for the EU guild? I tried Naito yesterday but that name was taken by another guy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom