• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

There's a couple ways to cancel animations it looks like. Though I don't know how practical they are. Or if there is any way to cancel skill animations. I've been through a couple of occasions where my character was stuck looping a skill animation. Could lead to interesting, or game breaking, possibilities.

For one example, you can cancel the mining/chopping animation if you drop a held weapon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is there even actual hacking going on?

All I know their email-verification service is very bugged at the moment, and we don't know how far that problem currently goes. It's quite possible they were sent without anyone actually trying to reset your password. I recall people getting those messages before they even logged in to the game.

I am having some issues with not finding anything new to do that is appropriate for my level.

As a human around level 12, I have pretty much exhausted anything in queensdale, but the next area still kicks my ass. I don't know exactly where the to go next, that's kind of annoying. Maybe I levelled too fast or too slow, I don't know.

Just filling the hearts of a zone won't give you the xp to head to the next one.

Are you at 100% map completion? Done it for Divnity's Reach? Gathering all the ore/trees/plants you come across? Done many dynamic events? There's plenty to do that'll give xp in a given area, but you can always go check out the other races' starting zones too

Levyne

Banned
I am having some issues with not finding anything new to do that is appropriate for my level.

As a human around level 12, I have pretty much exhausted anything in queensdale, but the next area still kicks my ass. I don't know exactly where the to go next, that's kind of annoying. Maybe I levelled too fast or too slow, I don't know.

I went to the Charr opening area to level a bit and find new quests, more items, etc.

hiro4

I'm happy I'm not the only one with the reset password issue. But still this is pretty damn bad.

I wonder how they even found my account name. I only registered gw2 and didn't even load the game or made a char.

All I know their email-verification service is very bugged at the moment, and we don't know how far that problem currently goes. It's quite possible they were sent without anyone actually trying to reset your password. I recall people getting those messages before they even logged in to the game.

I hope you're right. It's more than a little concerning that im receiving these emails so early into the games launch.

On another note, does this game have mounts? I was playing the pvp earlier and to be honest I found myself to be rather bored having to run what felt like 10 minutes to get to places. I know you can warp to waypoints but if the place is contested you're fucked.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just filling the hearts of a zone won't give you the xp to head to the next one.

Are you at 100% map completion? Done it for Divnity's Reach? Gathering all the ore/trees/plants you come across? Done many dynamic events? There's plenty to do that'll give xp in a given area, but you can always go check out the other races' starting zones too

Well, what is there really to do other than the hearts? Gathering materials is something I do while questing, i'm certainly not interested in running around aimlessly hoping to find resource nodes, or running all over the map to explore every nook and cranny while I have already spent hours roaming the exact same scenery.

If anything, they just need to add more hearts. :)

I solved the issue by going to Hoelbrak and questing there, but I didn't really enjoy having to do that. I'd much rather progress through the areas smoothly so I can experience all-new content on my Norn or Charr character.

Mikeside

GAF, I'm seriously considering picking GW2 up, but concerns raised in RPS about it being difficult to play with friends are making me hold back - has this been sorted yet? Has it been a problem for GAF-guild, which I'd like to join?

Wag

I actually found a game which shows useful info on the G13 LCD. Percentage finished and whatnot.

How do I get an invite into the GAFGuild?

Subxero

Guys, guild invites sadly appear to still be all janky. I haven't gotten anyone to successfully accept an invite.

I figured as much. I hopped on real quick and whispered you for a invite. Then I saw your post here.

I want to try to tag along on the wvwvw tour tonight, even though I'm not in the guild yet. If that's ok.

lol51

GAF, I'm seriously considering picking GW2 up, but concerns raised in RPS about it being difficult to play with friends are making me hold back - has this been sorted yet? Has it been a problem for GAF-guild, which I'd like to join?

Go to same zone as friend - right click their picture and say "Join in Zone Name". It was disabled but it's been active for 2 days now.

It will put you in the same overflow or on the same server. Currently, guesting cross server is disabled but they said they would add that feature. I already have cross server friends on my Contacts - I really don't see why we wouldn't be able to party and "Join".

I went to the Charr opening area to level a bit and find new quests, more items, etc.

I'm level 12 as a char and Im barely halfway through ashford. Are you doing dynamic events, exploring and gathering/crafting? All those give plenty of xp, not to mention your personal story missions give you about half a level each.

Go to same zone as friend - right click their picture and say "Join in Zone Name". It was disabled but it's been active for 2 days now.

It will put you in the same overflow or on the same server. Currently, guesting cross server is disabled but they said they would add that feature. I already have cross server friends on my Contacts - I really don't see why we wouldn't be able to party and "Join".

Does that work yet?

Mikeside

Dammit. You've just cost me money.

Thanks very much :)

Bunch of folks on reddit have said to be hacked already, so theres good chance of it being hacking attempts

Ferrio

Banned
Going to guess this is about GW2.

i-2rjnqgp-X3.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Well, what is there really to do other than the hearts? Gathering materials is something I do while questing, i'm certainly not interested in running around aimlessly hoping to find resource nodes, or running all over the map to explore every nook and cranny while I have already spent hours roaming the exact same scenery.

If anything, they just need to add more hearts. :)

I solved the issue by going to Hoelbrak and questing there, but I didn't really enjoy having to do that. I'd much rather progress through the areas smoothly so I can experience all-new content on my Norn or Charr character.

If you find a dynamic event, chaining those can often lead to large exp gains. For instance if you find one that is a "gather" DE where you have to contribute to a total, that almost always leads to two or three more.

Deitus

On another note, does this game have mounts? I was playing the pvp earlier and to be honest I found myself to be rather bored having to run what felt like 10 minutes to get to places. I know you can warp to waypoints but if the place is contested you're fucked.

There are no mounts, and they will not add mounts unless they come up with a way to integrate them into the gameplay (e.g. mounted combat, or a jousting mini game). Mounts will not be added simply for a speed boost and flying mounts will never exist.

As for WvW travel times, it can take a couple minutes to get somewhere, especially if you don't know where you are going already, but that travel time should be your incentive to play carefully. If you could get back into a battle within 30 seconds, there would be no point in ever reviving someone, and reinforcements would be infinite. Battles would drag on forever with no winner, unless one side had large enough numbers to steamroll the other side.

Does that work yet?

I was still getting network errors when I tried last night. It was posted on Twitter that due to a server problem they are having issues with party members not zoning into the same overflow server, the join in option not working, etc.

Someone posted a work around earlier that said if everyone leaves party, logs out, logs back in, and then reforms party, it should work. I'm going to give this a try tonight.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I've read some impressions of this game but it still isn't clear to me, what are the quests like? I get that they are random and character specific, but what exactly does that mean?

qwerty2k

Couple of newbie questions, big apologies if im being dumb:

anyone run it on a mac fine? (macbook pro nvidia GT 330m)
can this be digitally bought and downloaded? i assume from guildwars official site its a digital download? it doesn't really say though.

There are no mounts, and they will not add mounts unless they come up with a way to integrate them into the gameplay (e.g. mounted combat, or a jousting mini game). Mounts will not be added simply for a speed boost and flying mounts will never exist.

As for WvW travel times, it can take a couple minutes to get somewhere, especially if you don't know where you are going already, but that travel time should be your incentive to play carefully. If you could get back into a battle within 30 seconds, there would be no point in ever reviving someone, and reinforcements would be infinite. Battles would drag on forever with no winner, unless one side had large enough numbers to steamroll the other side.

I understand why they may have went that route but it gets old quick if you die a few times and spend 5 minutes getting back. Add to the fact that I'm a noob and don't know what I'm doing when it comes to their pvp and I will admit it was frustrating.

th3dude

Couple of newbie questions, big apologies if im being dumb:

anyone run it on a mac fine? (macbook pro nvidia GT 330m)
can this be digitally bought and downloaded? i assume from guildwars official site its a digital download? it doesn't really say though.

Can't speak for the Mac, but the game can be bought digitally from ANet, Amazon, and other retailers too I'm sure.

I've read some impressions of this game but it still isn't clear to me, what are the quests like? I get that they are random and character specific, but what exactly does that mean?

The main difference is that you don't pick up quests, there are no quest hubs. You find the quests randomly in the world or by going to areas marked on the map. Once you are there you automatically are part of that quest and told what to do on your quest log on the right hand top. So it's not traditional questing like most MMOs where you go from quest giver to quest giver and do tasks, you have to just find them. You also have npcs in the world that run around asking for help from players and when you talk to them, they mark for you where to go to take part in an event quest.

The actual quests when you find them are often your typical mmo stuff such as killing mobs or gathering things, or killing a boss like character. Some of these events chain into another quest when one step is complete.

Each character also has a unique set of quests that make up your personal story, which is determined by multiple choice questions at character creation.

Has anyone here successfully gotten a refund for the game? I got it a couple days ago but with the crowded servers I'm really not able to play like I thought I was.

Madridy

Guys, How does GW 2 handle different regions? will I have to buy an EU copy to play in EU servers? or Will a US version of the game will let me choose servers in different regions/continents?

Ferrio

Banned
In that case, I simply don't have enough ingredients to discover anything new. I've tried combinations of everything. And I've bought pretty much all the basic stuff from the merchants. Everything is either too high a level, or I lack enough of one hard to find ingredient (eggs, poultry...).

Eggs are sold by the crafting vendor, there's 3 seperate tabs on what your trainer sells. Sounds to me you're short on ingrediants. I *rarely* had to craft the same thing over and over (though it is the best way, craft something over and over until it's grey, then discover new stuff).

Also my thief build is proving difficult in battle. I get kited hard, even with gap closers and slows. Landing a backstab in this game against players is *hard* as hell... especially with skill lag. I think a poison/bleed build would be so much easier.. but I really don't want to just spam 3 with my thief.

Teknoman

Has anyone here successfully gotten a refund for the game? I got it a couple days ago but with the crowded servers I'm really not able to play like I thought I was.

I wouldnt jump for a refund so fast. They are working on things round the clock, and just recently expanded the server cap. If you're talking about overflow, that is a backend problem and they said the same thing is having an effect on guild invites, trading posts, etc.

mackattk

I would venture to say that it is a little early to be asking for a refund. If you don't like the gameplay, thats fine. But if it is crowded servers, then have a little patience. This is the smoothest MMO that has been launched that I have been a part of. Arenanet has really set a standard on how mmorpg (or online games in general) should launch.

Levyne

Banned
Each character also has a unique set of quests that make up your personal story, which is determined by multiple choice questions at character creation.

Not only that, but it branches from there! I'm at the level ~48 personal quests and I feel like I've had to make 4 or so really important choices and lots of smaller ones on top.

lol51

Personal Story is based off of the decisions you make during character creation. Wont spoil.

Dynamic Events are chains of quests that occur in the world. They become visible when you are near an area. They might proceed like this. Help defend town from invading enemy -> If success storm enemy camp -> If fail help rebuild town by gathering scrap from a cave. The quest chains are short at the starter zones but become complex as you level higher. You could lose control of waypoints... enemies can become more powerful... etc.

Hearts are more typical MMO quest like. An NPC is in need of help and there are typically 2+ things you can do that fills the heart meter. After completing the heart that NPC will become a merchant which exchanges items for Karma (a currency obtained by doing events/hearts).

World Events are huge events that occur in a region. When you approach a world event you get a permanent message like "The swamps are calm". Indicating there is nothing to see here. If there was something happening that message will change and everyone in that area will know to come participate in this GRAND event which could have a lasting effect on the region if failed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hardest boss in the game: pre level 50 jewel crafting.
Seriously. It is painstaking but I know the payoff will be awesome :)

Any updates on Guild Invites? Should I try again? I'm willing to very slightly risk my job to help you guys out if anyone can confirm they're working.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I would venture to say that it is a little early to be asking for a refund. If you don't like the gameplay, thats fine. But if it is crowded servers, then have a little patience. This is the smoothest MMO that has been launched that I have been a part of. Arenanet has really set a standard on how mmorpg (or online games in general) should launch.

I think I have to agree here - these guys are doing a great job. It's been smooth with VERY minimal hiccups, and an overall pleasing experience. And we cannot forget to mention how seamless the leveling and group play works. I was almost done with the Asura starting land when I went over to the Black Citadel to help my brother out (who was level 4 at the time). I leveled a bunch, progressed through the quests/events, and grew my character in a starting zone when I was level 15 or so. That's a HUGE improvement over any other MMO I've ever played.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you find a dynamic event, chaining those can often lead to large exp gains. For instance if you find one that is a "gather" DE where you have to contribute to a total, that almost always leads to two or three more.

Of course. I always do.
I even follow the NPC's to see where they are going. It's great.

mackattk

Seriously. It is painstaking but I know the payoff will be awesome :)

Any updates on Guild Invites? Should I try again? I'm willing to very slightly risk my job to help you guys out if anyone can confirm they're working.

Don't risk your job, lol.

But I do have teamviewer installed on both my work and home computers. I have been known to remote into my home computer at work to check auction houses in diablo 3/wow in the past...

Madridy

Guys, How does GW 2 handle different regions? will I have to buy an EU copy to play in EU servers? or Will a US version of the game will let me choose servers in different regions/continents?

Anyone?

Also where can I buy an EU digital copy of the game?

Kapoios

Neo Member

I believe you can play on EU servers with a US copy and vice-versa.

I gotta say this game is too good. Couldn't stop playing for the past 4/5 days. Ended playing on gandara too, since that's where my guild went. Maybe i should join the neogaf guild as well...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

But I do have teamviewer installed on both my work and home computers. I have been known to remote into my home computer at work to check auction houses in diablo 3/wow in the past...
Wut? Don't do that, it's just a game. And get some sleep :p
Haha guys, I'm being pretty lighthearted about this stuff- I am no Yoshichan by any stretch. I made up plennnty of sleep on Monday "night." And I was just kidding about risking my job, I'm just logged into my home PC with a tiny window cropped only over the chat box in-game. That said, I'm not going to do it just for fun, I need to know that it's working
KuGsj.gif

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone else think thieves are very one note? Between the "no real reason to weapon swap', and the boring/useless ultities... it starts getting stale. We have 2 utilities that almost match 2 of our elites..... how lazy was that.

Once again just here to remind everyone that we are going to be doing some more WvW tonight and would love to see people come out. Hawk is going to work with people who are completly new to it and when you feel like your ready to jump in or just want a crash course you can join up with me.

You don't have to be in the guild to join just be on Stormbluff Isle and que up for the same WvW instance we are going to be in.

We are shooting for an 8 pm est start but if you log on early just que and get in as you can. If you get there late just join when you can.

We were doin it for 3 hours last night but you are in no way committed to stay the full time. Its good old casual fun with a little bit of direction.

The only thing I really recommend is that you have mumble set up so you can join in on the discussion or just listen. If you quote the post right below the OP (the one about the GAF guild) I'm sure its there. It should be at the top of the quote

Looking forward to a good turnout and a great time!

Elginer

I gotta say I'm blown away at how much fun this damn game is. I've never really been to deep into the whole MMO thing but this is just amazingly fun. I could see myself playing this for a very long time and if they do like GW1 with expansions, I can see a really bright future for GW2. ArenaNet, you're fantastic bastards, I love you.

I connect to my computer at home using logmein but there is no way I could run something graphically like Diablo III or GW2.

Madridy

I believe you can play on EU servers with a US copy and vice-versa.

I gotta say this game is too good. Couldn't stop playing for the past 4/5 days. Ended playing on gandara too, since that's where my guild went. Maybe i should join the neogaf guild as well...

In world selection there is a drop down that allows you to pick region (All/America/Europe).

I am in US and can transfer to an EU server.

Thanks guys!

I'm excited! First game I'm gonna buy on my new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom