• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else think thieves are very one note? Between the "no real reason to weapon swap', and the boring/useless ultities... it starts getting stale. We have 2 utilities that almost match 2 of our elites..... how lazy was that.

My friend plays a thief. I think he's 34 or 35 right now? He's LOVING the class and plays it very well. He also can't stop raving about the skills and how useful they are along with how important his weapon swap has been. Maybe you're doing it wrong? I don't know...I don't play the class or know it, but from his GW1 experience + beta time with GW2, he seems to know what he's doing and enjoying it [the class].

th3dude

Once again just here to remind everyone that we are going to be doing some more WvW tonight and would love to see people come out. Hawk is going to work with people who are completly new to it and when you feel like your ready to jump in or just want a crash course you can join up with me.

You don't have to be in the guild to join just be on Stormbluff Isle and que up for the same WvW instance we are going to be in.

We are shooting for an 8 pm est start but if you log on early just que and get in as you can. If you get there late just join when you can.

We were doin it for 3 hours last night but you are in no way committed to stay the full time. Its good old casual fun with a little bit of direction.

The only thing I really recommend is that you have mumble set up so you can join in on the discussion or just listen. If you quote the post right below the OP I'm sure its there.

Looking forward to a good turnout and a great time!

What time do you all do this? I'd love to hop on (and join the Guild!)

Edit: I'm an idiot, it's right there! I'll try to see you all at 8!

What class tends to be best at dealing with mobs?

My engineer can have trouble with mobs greater than 3 or so. My Flamethrower does an ok job (somehow better than Grenades) but it still doesnt feel like enough.

Ferrio

Banned
My friend plays a thief. I think he's 34 or 35 right now? He's LOVING the class and plays it very well. He also can't stop raving about the skills and how useful they are along with how important his weapon swap has been. Maybe you're doing it wrong? I don't know...I don't play the class or know it, but from his GW1 experience + beta time with GW2, he seems to know what he's doing and enjoying it [the class].

It's an effective class (as far as I can tell), but compared to others it seems very less diverse.

I'm really sad about the stealth timer though... I didn't realize thieves had that... makes sense.. but UGH.

Well, what is there really to do other than the hearts?

Things that give huge XP:

Vistas, Skill Challenges, Jumping Puzzles, Dynamic Events, Harvesting, Crafting, Personal Story, finding Points of Interest, finding Asuran Teleporters, reviving downed players, getting to Treasure Chests.

And then there's filling up hearts. I don't even focus on those half the time. I tend to gain two levels in an area, just by exploring and running around.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The main difference is that you don't pick up quests, there are no quest hubs. You find the quests randomly in the world or by going to areas marked on the map. Once you are there you automatically are part of that quest and told what to do on your quest log on the right hand top. So it's not traditional questing like most MMOs where you go from quest giver to quest giver and do tasks, you have to just find them. You also have npcs in the world that run around asking for help from players and when you talk to them, they mark for you where to go to take part in an event quest.

The actual quests when you find them are often your typical mmo stuff such as killing mobs or gathering things, or killing a boss like character. Some of these events chain into another quest when one step is complete.

Each character also has a unique set of quests that make up your personal story, which is determined by multiple choice questions at character creation.

That sounds... awesome! Thank you for writing that out for me. I'm going to buy the game today!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's an effective class (as far as I can tell), but compared to others it seems very less diverse.

I'm really sad about the stealth timer though... I didn't realize thieves had that... makes sense.. but UGH.

Aye - yeah, I'm not trying to get on your case or anything. I don't know the class, so I can't comment outside of what he's told me. It could be a case of mistaken identity for the class! May give another class a try (unless you're already flying high in the levels, haha).

LkPr

for the WvW que, is it based on Borderlands? Like last night I sat in the que for almost 3 hours but I was qued up for 'Stormbluff Isle'... would it have made a difference if I was que in one of the other ones?

mackattk

Is there a limit on how high I can craft as level 1 character? I was thinking about making an alt for cooking. Not sure how good of an idea that is though.

I could switch from artificier to cooking for a little while, as tailoring and arificier use many of the same uncommon materials.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
rofl weapon swap useless on thief

for the WvW que, is it based on Borderlands? Like last night I sat in the que for almost 3 hours but I was qued up for 'Stormbluff Isle'... would it have made a difference if I was que in one of the other ones?
Apparently they are seperate queues.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a limit on how high I can craft as level 1 character? I was thinking about making an alt for cooking. Not sure how good of an idea that is though.

I could switch from artificier to cooking for a little while, as tailoring and arificier use many of the same uncommon materials.

Someone leveled to 80 on crafting alone, so...No, haha.

these transformation tonic are awesome. had a mech, a moe, and now an owl.

ib0Z6eL8CrB6yq.jpg

Its based on how many people from our server are in at the time. It seems that our home borderlands fills up a little faster than the others and most of that is because of some of the amenities that people have bought for the keeps in that area.

Before last night I had never been in that borderlands and as such had never had a problem with the que or having other people join.

I qued last nigh around 7 and got in after 5 minutes so I'd say peak hours for WvW on Stormbluff starts around 830 est. and that's why we are going a little earlier today.

bogg

Man catacombs are hard. Was trying to do the story mode with a random group, we managed to kill the first boss but the group after him owned us hard and people started to leave. One of them was complaining that we don't have a tank, sigh....

LkPr

so next time maybe I'll try to join a different Borderland and then just run to the Stormbluff Isle one (if I don't get killed en route)

also I just read this on the Wiki (which confused me) "Players who attempt to join a map that is full can queue for a space while joining one of the other maps in the meantime:

... does that mean in theory I can Queue for all 3 WvW maps?

"Ah OK - in that case, you can still gain some levels via crafting alone, no?"

Yes, but leveling to 80 solely by crafting is impossible (legitimately) unless you're getting a very healthy gold donation and a working TP.

LkPr

Lot of my levels have come from crafting. That said you're going to have to go out in the world for those materials, especially since the trade system is down.

aren't the Bank and Collections shared for all chars? So although one of your chars will need to gather the mats (your main) can they not just be used by an alt char for crafting?

I really hate the Norn starting area.

I'm liking the other starting areas though. Haven't really tried Charr though. I hate their running animation.

mackattk

Since we are on the topic of crafting. Does anybody know of a website that has a working discovery list for crafts? I have the basic formula down, but it would be nice to have a list to compare with what materials I currently have available.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
^It was a drop from the Fire Elemental world event

It's a bug. Lots of people have been getting that drop. Farm that now guys!
The fire elemental isn't meant to drop that every once in a while? :'(

I thought it made sense since that thing spawns like 1,500,243 Embers.

Deitus

so next time maybe I'll try to join a different Borderland and then just run to the Stormbluff Isle one (if I don't get killed en route)

also I just read this on the Wiki (which confused me) "Players who attempt to join a map that is full can queue for a space while joining one of the other maps in the meantime:

... does that mean in theory I can Queue for all 3 WvW maps?

The different borderlands are not directly connected, so this would be impossible. You could use waypoints to warp from one borderlands to the other, but I would assume this is only possible if there was an empty slot on that borderlands.

I'm pretty sure you can only queue for one WvW map at a time. It's hard to say for sure though, because the only indication you are in a queue is the hourglass over the WvW icon, and it doesn't say what map you are queued for. However, if the map you want to play on is full, you can queue up for that one, and then join a different (not full) map in the mean time while you wait on the queue.

Subxero

Made it to 23 with my Norn Guardian. I just can't get enough of this game! I really like that exploration is such a huge focal point. I'm a completeionist so the map collectables act as a carrot on a stick for me. Way more than long questlines ever did. The personal story covers my need for structured quest. Especially with the variance that the choices provide.

It's chaotic, but just way cool to do all these events with a huge mob of players with out the need to worry about grouping and the down time that usually brings. The WvW looks like good fun too. It reminds me of Warhammer and DOAC. I really enjoyed the pvp in tthose. I'm really looking forward to getting into that once the guild invite issue is fixed.

I know it's not going to be for everybody. Especially since we have been conditioned to play "other" games a certain way. It just feels like to me they took all the fun things I like about mmos and rolled them into one game. I played the first one too but it never grabbed me like 2 has. Guildwars 2 feels familiar but fresh at the same time.

Edit: just to add to the crafting talk that's going on. I'm so glad that each player get their own nodes. I really like to gather resources to craft and sell. That is such a huge game changer for me. Just to not have to worry about competeing for nodes. Now I can do what I want, take my time and know they will be there.

Bah was nice and quiet and now I'm getting password reset emails.

The different borderlands are not directly connected, so this would be impossible. You could use waypoints to warp from one borderlands to the other, but I would assume this is only possible if there was an empty slot on that borderlands.

I'm pretty sure you can only queue for one WvW map at a time. It's hard to say for sure though, because the only indication you are in a queue is the hourglass over the WvW icon, and it doesn't say what map you are queued for. However, if the map you want to play on is full, you can queue up for that one, and then join a different (not full) map in the mean time while you wait on the queue.

You can queue for multiple WvWvW's battlegrounds even though it doesn't show you. You get in one and later you will get notified that your available for your other choices.

I changed my password to one that utilizes lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and symbols just in case someone tries to brute force my password as well. All quiet here, though.

arimanius

Oh...People don't know how to kill him and it makes me sad.

How do you kill him cause I got to him last night and everyone died about 100 times.

Also just started a warrior and wondering how pvp is with the class. Kinda worried about it since all the other pvp games I've played have been range >>> melee.

nataku

See, I tried Mesmer but it didnt work great vs mobs. I only got to level 5 with it. Staff skills spawned copies too slowly (every 3rd hit), and sword skills were only good one v one.

You need to get weapon swap, plus unlock all your weapon skills. There is a pretty large number of clones and phantasms you can spawn as a mesmer.

The scepter skill 1 is actually the skill that spawns clones every 3rd hit, btw. Staff has a couple you can spawn on demand, provided the cooldown isn't running.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
^It was a drop from the Fire Elemental world event

The fire elemental isn't meant to drop that every once in a while? :'(

I thought it made sense since that thing spawns like 1,500,243 Embers.

No. I'm fairly sure it's a bug. It drops it very very frequently.

Teknoman

Man catacombs are hard. Was trying to do the story mode with a random group, we managed to kill the first boss but the group after him owned us hard and people started to leave. One of them was complaining that we don't have a tank, sigh....

They need some monster hunter experience or something.

Aeana

Seems a bunch of people got dropped from the guild. We had 255 members yesterday, the list says 233 today. Some of the people who got dropped can still chat in guild chat though. Very weird.

kn1ves24

I have a few questions about the guild stuff.

I would like to join the gaf guild, and I realize the invites are still kind of hit or miss, but how do I even get my name put in the hat to join?

Do I need to create an account on the gafguild site? Is there a running list of all the people that are in or want to join the guild?

Sorry if these things have been answered before, I tried browsing the thread but I couldn't find anything.

Also I would like to join up for the WvW thing tonight, if I get home in time, I've never played it and a beginners course would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom