• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Yes, I'm out of the guild since yesterday's patch. I still see the chat, but I don't know if inviting me again would do anything.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do you kill him cause I got to him last night and everyone died about 100 times.

Also just started a warrior and wondering how pvp is with the class. Kinda worried about it since all the other pvp games I've played have been range >>> melee.

The way we finally did it was by spreading out. By grouping up, you get piles of AoE damage from those Embers. You also get those line shots from embers/Elemental that nearly 1-shot you. By spreading out, you not only spread out AoE damage, you disperse the embers about the group. You can pick them off and still damage the boss.

Also, if someone dies, the embers/damage are spread out over the entire main area, so rez'ing isn't NEARLY as dangerous. It's like a WoW fight where you have to spread out and not stand in fire really. Too many people group up on the small corridor/bridge and cause high concentrations of AoE damage making it nearly impossible to succeed.

th3dude

I have a few questions about the guild stuff.

I would like to join the gaf guild, and I realize the invites are still kind of hit or miss, but how do I even get my name put in the hat to join?

Do I need to create an account on the gafguild site? Is there a running list of all the people that are in or want to join the guild?

Sorry if these things have been answered before, I tried browsing the thread but I couldn't find anything.

Also I would like to join up for the WvW thing tonight, if I get home in time, I've never played it and a beginners course would be nice.

I second these questions.

You're gonna wanna stay tuned to this thread for the next little while.

Oh my. What do you have for us?

Macattk15

How is it possible to play with a 360 controller on those classes with a lot of ground target abilities? Like Engineer.

I just don't see how it'd be possible to land a lot of my Grenade, Bomb, whatever skills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have a few questions about the guild stuff.

I would like to join the gaf guild, and I realize the invites are still kind of hit or miss, but how do I even get my name put in the hat to join?

Do I need to create an account on the gafguild site? Is there a running list of all the people that are in or want to join the guild?

Sorry if these things have been answered before, I tried browsing the thread but I couldn't find anything.

Also I would like to join up for the WvW thing tonight, if I get home in time, I've never played it and a beginners course would be nice.
You do need to sign up on that forum, and there's a sign-up thread you'll need to post in.

However, due to the issues and the result- namely, that we can't add all the people who have legitimately signed up already- it's currently closed until the issues are fixed and we're a bit more caught up.
How is it possible to play with a 360 controller on those classes with a lot of ground target abilities? Like Engineer.

I just don't see how it'd be possible to land a lot of my Grenade, Bomb, whatever skills.
This was something that was a major weakness of the initial project I created, was refined a little here and there to be more natural, and then finally massively improved by WeltallZero. It works very, very well now, seriously. When using an AoE-heavy build I'd recommend playing a bit more zoomed out (but this would really be the case with a mouse too). I'm putting together a post of our latest release which we are calling the ULTIMATE CONFIG. Coming shortly

taoofjord

I'm playing an engineer of the gremlin/gnome-like race. I can't speak for other starting areas but this one is fantastic. Also, I'm loving the game so far. It's quite pretty (the animation is fantastic) and I'm just finding it immediately engaging. More so than any MMO since World of Warcraft first came out. The whole thing is just so polished. I can't really speak for the meat of the game yet but this sure does give an awesome first impression.

My only worries so far are:

- The micro transaction store. I really hope that it doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

- The modern looking clothing in the store. Really stupid. Still, once I got my free baseball cap and put it on my little gnome-guy it kinda made me smile. He's cute. Ah well..

zlatko

Banned
So doing more research I think tonight I'll create a Human Guardian and roll with that a few levels to see how I like it.

This was one of the challenges I had with getting into GW1 too---I never found a race/class combo that clicked with me and I wanted to continue playing. :(

I could be wrong here, but I feel like the lack of a trading post is killing my crafting profession progress. Being able to sell my stuff, and buy materials with that money, would allow me to actually make enough items to wear.

Like right now I'm 34 and could make some really nice green jewelry with jewelcrafting for level 35. I'm completely out of silver though, and by the time I can farm enough to make the items I'd like, I'll be well on my way toward 40 and wishing I had more mats for the level 40 stuff. I made sure to pick crafting professions that don't overlap (leatherworking/jeweler), so that's not what's causing the problem.

Also, I cannot for the life of me find upgrade components for my armor. I can make a measly +20 HP one with leatherworking, but can't find any others. Most of my armor has empty upgrade slots because of this.

kn1ves24

You do need to sign up on that forum, and there's a sign-up thread you'll need to post in.

However, due to the issues and the result- namely, that we can't add all the people who have legitimately signed up already- it's currently closed until the issues are fixed and we're a bit more caught up.

Thanks hawkian. I signed up for the forums there. Now just have to wait for the thread to be unlocked....

Arksy

I'm actually shocked at the state of the game at the moment. So many systems down. Mail/trading post/guilds/many many bugged npcs and events. At least most of the core game works. :|

Aeana

I'm actually shocked at the state of the game at the moment. So many systems down. Mail/trading post/guilds/many many bugged npcs and events. At least most of the core game works. :|
What bothers me most is the lack of communication from ArenaNet about any of this.

What's wrong with mail? I've sent and received like 20 items consecutively without issue.

They took down the mail system

And account security issues. Such a big launch and they didn't think to implement authentication measures? Even shitty 2nd rate MMOs have launched with security measures in place.

"I could be wrong here, but I feel like the lack of a trading post is killing my crafting profession progress"

No, you're absolutely correct. Also with them increasing the cost of travel from the BWEs, players are exceptionally broke without the TP compared to how much money they could have.

"I'm actually shocked at the state of the game at the moment. So many systems down. Mail/trading post/guilds/many many bugged npcs and events. At least most of the core game works. :|"

I mean, objectively speaking, it's actually a pretty shitty launch. All you can really say is "well the servers are up" and that's kind of something, but a lot of the stuff being borked just sticks out a bit worse than a day or two of up and downs. And as mentioned, ArenaNet has completely dropped the ball in communicating about these issues.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So when is the best time to queue up for WvWvW? Added myself to the queue of every WvWvW instance at around 9pm EST, at midnight I went to sleep after having not gotten in.

Got to 30 on my Sylvari Guardian today, running around Gendarran got me some nice weapons and also got 2 awesome axe for a guildie since he's a warrior...Got me a 2 hand sword of water from the dredge event where they come out of the vehicle, weapon is awesome because it has a chance to heal allies...

zlatko

Banned
Really? I love theirs more than any of the others so far.

I found it 2nd best after Charr. Norn has the most well designed area in terms of conventional MMO layouts for towns/main city areas. For my Asura I didn't find the crafting profession guys until like level 10, but with Norn they were there at about level 2 thanks to proximity and how well placed it all is around the animal lodges.

Coolwhip

Banned
I went in blind when I bought GW2. But so far I'm not really getting into it. I don't feel like leveling at all. With Wow you always had new abilities or skills to unlock, getting to ride a mount at a certain level and so on. With GW2 you basically have all your abilities after 10 minutes of playing. Your gear looks the same at level 1 as at level 20. And because your level gets adjusted to the zone you are in, you don't feel stronger as you progress at all.

And looking at Kungen's stream, the WvW/PVP looks like a massive zergfest, where the main attraction seems to be killing doors.

Question about the Gaf Guild:

Is this guild hardcore or more relaxed and casual?

I play a lot but, I'm not a hardcore player and really am just looking for a guild to have fun with. Basically, I don't want some ass yelling at me if I make a mistake. That just ruins my fun.

Booter

I never found a race/class combo that clicked with me and I wanted to continue playing. :(

how i'm feeling about gw2 lolol. not that there's anything wrong with them, but i generally gravitate towards dwarves or halflings. the asura seem frail, more like gnomes.

Dreavus

Lack of trading is killing my my crafting too, particularly tailoring. Cloth isn't exactly something you can harvest from a tree, and it'd be the prefect thing for non-tailors to sell off. To contrast, I'm not having trouble keeping up with artificing at all, but I've fallen way behind on tailoring because there just isn't enough material.

Aeana

Question about the Gaf Guild:

Is this guild hardcore or more relaxed and casual?

I play a lot but, I'm not a hardcore player and really am just looking for a guild to have fun in. Basically, I don't want some ass yelling at me if I make a mistake. That just ruins my fun.
It's pretty much just a chat room at this point. We organize stuff on occasion, but mostly we just use it to talk to each other and help each other out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I went in blind when I bought GW2. But so far I'm not really getting into it. I don't feel like leveling at all. With Wow you always had new abilities or skills to unlock, getting to ride a mount at a certain level and so on. With GW2 you basically have all your abilities after 10 minutes of playing. Your gear looks the same at level 1 as at level 20. And because your level gets adjusted to the zone you are in, you don't feel stronger as you progress at all.

And looking at Kungen's stream, the WvW/PVP looks like a massive zergfest, where the main attraction seems to be killing doors.

First point - not true. You get MANY more skills later on (including elite skills which cost a chunk of skill points).

Second point - also not true. While your level does get adjusted, your bonuses/skills do not (or something like that). We were in a level 5 starting zone with my level 34 friend. He was using his elite skills to train wreck the veteran/champion mobs...He was scaled down to level 5 as well. The transition is just SUPER seamless where you won't notice it unless you're paying attention or high enough level to have it shine.

E: Not telling you you're wrong or anything, but you're approaching the game from a skewed angle I think. It's not WoW, it's GW2.

zlatko

Banned
how i'm feeling about gw2 lolol. not that there's anything wrong with them, but i generally gravitate towards dwarves or halflings. the asura seem frail, more like gnomes.

The race issue is far less of a problem to me as the class issue. I gravitate towards H2H classes in MMO's, or some super unique class tailored just for the MMO itself. Maybe I'm spoiled from having come from a Final Fantasy XI background with so many varied class types and unique play styles to them like Blue Mage or Puppet Master's.

Hopefully I find something that clicks here within the week. :(

blackflag

Did some WvWvW and although I wasn' sure what I was doing, I got some of that old realm vs realm DAOC feeling that I haven't experienced in many years.

Can't wait until they fix the damn guild bugs. It is pretty lonely being guildless.

ss_lemonade

Played a real quick game yesterday, still trying to understand the mechanics and stuff but so far, things look real nice.

I noticed something odd though with performance. Why does it seem like I'm capped at 50fps? I admit I didn't try lowering settings yet (1920x1080 maxed out, no super sampling), but even the character creation section had afterburner reporting 50fps.

inky

Quoting myself for the new page:

Are bag slot unlocks account wide or per character?

Also,

89eEq.png

Oh God.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So what's the point of someone trying to do a password reset? I mean, if I DID change my password, they still wouldn't figure it out. Or does that come from them trying too many times?

zlatko

Banned
Huh?? You go to the main city for the crafting NPCs, every race can do that at level 2.

*shrug* I must've made a wrong turn at albacerky(sp?). I ended up finding them on some place out in the wild I could climb up. Looked like a temple.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So what's the point of someone trying to do a password reset? I mean, if I DID change my password, they still wouldn't figure it out. Or does that come from them trying too many times?

If you're getting a password reset email, those are most likely scams. If you're going to change them, I'd suggest doing a full reboot and go to the website directly to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom