• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

It's really, really, really not obvious that you have to go through the portal BEHIND where you start as asura to get to Rata Sum.

No pure classes period.

Wait, really? So the game is pretty much built around being able to solo any class you try?

I have seen some footage of skills that you use that can improve/alter other attacks but it looks like its mainly for spell casting stuff.

Aeana

Wait, really? So the game is pretty much built around being able to solo any class you try?

I have seen some footage of skills that you use that can improve/alter other attacks but it looks like its mainly for spell casting stuff.
Every class has a way to heal itself and many have attacks that also heal others. The philosophy is such that when you're building a party, you never need a specific "role" i.e. tank, healer. It was a disappointment for me, but I'm coming around to it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes and no. Every class is built to be self-sufficient, but lots of content is very difficult to do literally alone.

Not sure what this refers to.

Deitus

I went in blind when I bought GW2. But so far I'm not really getting into it. I don't feel like leveling at all. With Wow you always had new abilities or skills to unlock, getting to ride a mount at a certain level and so on. With GW2 you basically have all your abilities after 10 minutes of playing.
Personally, I prefer to be fully competent in battle within an hour of playing, rather than spending weeks being able to do only two or three things. As for rewards for leveling, there's always traits, utility skills, and elite skills.
Your gear looks the same at level 1 as at level 20.
I don't know what you're doing, but at level 20, my gear looks nothing like my level 1 gear.
And because your level gets adjusted to the zone you are in, you don't feel stronger as you progress at all.
But on the plus side, playing in lower level zones is no longer a tremendous waste of time with no meaningful rewards and no challenge to be had. I prefer it this way.
And looking at Kungen's stream, the WvW/PVP looks like a massive zergfest, where the main attraction seems to be killing doors.
I do not know this Kungen, but it sounds like he doesn't know much about WvW.

Raide

Every class has a way to heal itself and many have attacks that also heal others. The philosophy is such that when you're building a party, you never need a specific "role" i.e. tank, healer. It was a disappointment for me, but I'm coming around to it.

Hrmm...I am thinking about that now. Really prefer to have a defined role. Does this make the non PvP side of GW2 feel a little solo. GW was very much like that, outside of a few co-op instances. Is that what they are going for again in GW2?

Yes and no. Every class is built to be self-sufficient, but lots of content is very difficult to do literally alone.

Not sure what this refers to.

Maybe its a PvP thing but I saw people casting stuff on the floor and then using another ability to alter it.

"Hrmm...I am thinking about that now. Really prefer to have a defined role. Does this make the non PvP side of GW2 feel a little solo. GW was very much like that, outside of a few co-op instances. Is that what they are going for again in GW2?"

Until you get to some of the level 80 stuff, it's very solo. Grouping is entirely optional outside of the rare Group Event and Dungeons. Now, if you happen to run into other players in the world and hang with them, that's cool, but if the zone is completely empty it's not an issue either.

WvWvW only seems like a massive Door Wars zergfest if you are just following around the big group of random players that just follow each other from keep to keep until they run into one of the opposing servers similar group. If you get a group of people and go about hitting objectives and maybe coordinate with a few other guilds/groups in map chat, you have a very fun, very dynamic PvP experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I find the suggestion that you don't feel stronger as you progress laughable. From feeling pretty overly limited as a thief with one weapon set from levels 1-6 who could only rarely enter stealth and ran out of initiative quickly, I now have a ludicrous number of options for entering and exiting stealth, gain initiative on stealing (one of the items you can steal also puts you in stealth, of course), and get a speed boost and drop caltrops every time I dodge.

I don't even have my first elite skill unlocked, and there are apparently two tiers of elite skills.

Aeana

Hrmm...I am thinking about that now. Really prefer to have a defined role. Does this make the non PvP side of GW2 feel a little solo. GW was very much like that, outside of a few co-op instances. Is that what they are going for again in GW2?

Maybe its a PvP thing but I saw people casting stuff on the floor and then using another ability to alter it.
You're frequently brought together with other players in the dynamic events that take place all over the maps. In them, you work together - no need to be in a party - to accomplish whatever the task is. I think that stuff is really fun and interesting, personally.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are no PvP only skills. You're referring to Combos, which are all like:
JQFTe.png

Raide

"Hrmm...I am thinking about that now. Really prefer to have a defined role. Does this make the non PvP side of GW2 feel a little solo. GW was very much like that, outside of a few co-op instances. Is that what they are going for again in GW2?"

Until you get to some of the level 80 stuff, it's very solo. Grouping is entirely optional outside of the rare Group Event and Dungeons. Now, if you happen to run into other players in the world and hang with them, that's cool, but if the zone is completely empty it's not an issue either.

I see. I am a pretty social player in MMO's but it is nice to be able to solo stuff without too many issues. Might think about picking up GW2 at some point. Might need to check into the classes a bit more and see what I like the look of.

There are no PvP only skills. You're referring to Combos, which are all like:
JQFTe.png

Ahh! That must be those then. Thanks!

Is it true that your professions stay at the same skill if you switch them and come back? For example if I drop huntsman for now make a leatherworker for bags and some gear and then later on switch back to huntsman and it will be at 100 or whatever?

Aeana

Is it true that your professions stay at the same skill if you switch them and come back? For example if I drop huntsman for now make a leatherworker for bags and some gear and then later on switch back to huntsman and it will be at 100 or whatever?
It's true, but it's not free.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh! That must be those then. Thanks!
Just to give you an example- a Thief can drop down a Smoke Screen (which is a Smoke Field) and then a Warrior can use Stomp, or whatever it's called (a Blast Finisher) and all allies in the radius of the field will become invisible. Yes, this is as cool as it sounds.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, but it cost 10 copper per level to get the profession back. So to pick back up your level 100 Huntsman, you would have to shell out 10 Silver.

Raide

Just to give you an example- a Thief can drop down a Smoke Screen (which is a Smoke Field) and then a Warrior can use Stomp, or whatever it's called (a Blast Finisher) and all allies in the radius of the field will become invisible. Yes, this is as cool as it sounds.

That does sound cool!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anybody on the spreadsheet looking for an invite, PM me in game let's try again (you must not be in the overflow).

I find the suggestion that you don't feel stronger as you progress laughable. From feeling pretty overly limited as a thief with one weapon set from levels 1-6 who could only rarely enter stealth and ran out of initiative quickly, I now have a ludicrous number of options for entering and exiting stealth, gain initiative on stealing (one of the items you can steal also puts you in stealth, of course), and get a speed boost and drop caltrops every time I dodge.

I don't even have my first elite skill unlocked, and there are apparently two tiers of elite skills.

You get more options, but you don't feel much stronger overall because of the scaling keeping things in check. While you get many new stuff to unlock, you only have access to a few of those at a time unlike other MMO's where you get access to everything you unlock at a time which makes it seem like you have far more power and stuff you can do and combo at a time. DCUO was same way with limiting how many abilities you could have equipped at a time and people complained about that, while GW2 has much more abilities you can unlock.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You get more options, but you don't feel much stronger overall because of the scaling keeping things in check. While you get many new stuff to unlock, you only have access to a few of those at a time unlike other MMO's where you get access to everything you unlock at a time which makes it seem like you have far more power and stuff you can do and combo at a time. DCUO was same way with limiting how many abilities you could have equipped at a time and people complained about that, while GW2 has much more abilities you can unlock.
Hey to each his own, I already feel much much stronger, and I have a feeling getting a elite skill enhances this even more.

Achtius

I heard from someone that there is a good spreadsheet that teaches you how to cook effectively in the game, anyone mind sharing it again?

So doing more research I think tonight I'll create a Human Guardian and roll with that a few levels to see how I like it.

This was one of the challenges I had with getting into GW1 too---I never found a race/class combo that clicked with me and I wanted to continue playing. :(

Asura Guardian, best combo ever.

KePoW

Banned
Played a real quick game yesterday, still trying to understand the mechanics and stuff but so far, things look real nice.

I noticed something odd though with performance. Why does it seem like I'm capped at 50fps? I admit I didn't try lowering settings yet (1920x1080 maxed out, no super sampling), but even the character creation section had afterburner reporting 50fps.

The character creation screen has an automatic fps cap of 50.

In the game there is no cap (unless you set one in Options).

CoLaN

I went in blind when I bought GW2. But so far I'm not really getting into it. I don't feel like leveling at all. With Wow you always had new abilities or skills to unlock, getting to ride a mount at a certain level and so on. With GW2 you basically have all your abilities after 10 minutes of playing. Your gear looks the same at level 1 as at level 20. And because your level gets adjusted to the zone you are in, you don't feel stronger as you progress at all.

And looking at Kungen's stream, the WvW/PVP looks like a massive zergfest, where the main attraction seems to be killing doors.

You do get new nice abilities as traits and utilities while you progress. I play as a level 36 engineer and when i gained acces to the flamethrower and elixir gun the gameplay changed drastically. Elite utility skills are level 30+ and they are very cool: i can build a power suit that looks like one of the mechanical golems and then use it, with its own skillset, for a short amount of time. Or even let allies get in and pilot it. So yea, there are many fun and interesting things to unlock as you level up, and even stuff that will introduce completely new mechanics for your class.

I guess a lot of people are getting these password reset emails, so that's good I guess... at least I'm not alone. I've gotten 4 so far this afternoon...

Hopefully ANet clues us in to why this is happening.

dorkimoe

Might be the dumbest question asked in this thread. But I'm a thief and how the hell do i stealth? I see an ability that does more damage when stealthed..but i can't stealth? I have a 3s stealth but its more of an escape and not initiate

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Might be the dumbest question asked in this thread. But I'm a thief and how the hell do i stealth? I see an ability that does more damage when stealthed..but i can't stealth?
As a brand new baby thief- your healing skill (6, hide in shadows). Learn to not just think of it as a healing skill.

The dagger offhand 5 skill, Cloak and Dagger, once you unlock it, also puts you in stealth if it connects (it's close-range).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tweet from GW2: "If you got a password reset email & didn't request it, delete the email. Don't click the link in the email. We're investigating the issue."

Aeana

Just had to change my email address. Someone tried to reset my password. No biggie I know but just to be more safe than sorry.
It seems like it's happening to everybody. But there's not really anything to worry about unless you think they can somehow get into your e-mail account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom