• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, still broken!

Due to unforeseen Guild circumstances, I can't invite right now. Their last build made me sit outside of the guild (which is weird) and I can't do invites at all.

Rest assured, ArenaNet is working on it. We even have two of their employees in our guild. :)

Tell them just to fix ours.

zlatko

Banned
I will say one of my complaints for this game is that all the equipment thus far from any character I've made for level 1-10 has been fuck ugly no matter what you dye it. I'm sick of that MMO trope of you have to dress like a popper and hobo for so long till you start looking semi bad ass.

Akey

Banned
Could you go into a little more detail? Do you just use materials and such? Or do you have to craft items like Hilt or Blade for example and use those in conjunction with other stuff? Or is it anything goes?

EDIT: Nvm, see you answered it a bit down. Man, crafting is a bitch, might ignore it altogether lol

You can sort of cheat the discovery and just look at all the recipes and what each takes would be what you need for discovery. I use gw2db for list of plans but I'm sure there are others out there.

dot

Dang, my game is unplayable now. I used to have 60fps but now the whole client is just broken. It's 8 fps now...

I haven't played for 2 days so it must be the most recent update that caused this. :(

Rpgmonkey

Looks like the trading post is back up, somewhat. I can see people's items for sale but can't seem to sell mine. :(

I tried to sell two things and it went through, but then they disappeared, haha.

Fortunately it was just stuff I was using to test it anyway, so I don't mind if they're lost forever.

I decided to give the Norns another try, and made a Ranger. I like it thus far.

I have compulsive character switching syndrome. I'll never get to 80, I just know it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I will say one of my complaints for this game is that all the equipment thus far from any character I've made for level 1-10 has been fuck ugly no matter what you dye it. I'm sick of that MMO trope of you have to dress like a popper and hobo for so long till you start looking semi bad ass.

I'm 29 right now, in Lourner's Pass, and a lot of the karma gear is REALLY nice. My little Asura looks like an FF3 Onion Knight now.

Aeana

It's pretty sad how I find myself saying "GET OVER HERE" every time I use the "pull" move after binding blade with my Guardian's greatsword.

Ferrio

Banned
It's pretty sad how I find myself saying "GET OVER HERE" every time I use the "pull" move after binding blade with my Guardian's greatsword.

Do you find that your pull move doesn't pull the person (if you've pvp'ed that is) always? My thief [Scorpian Wire] move sometimes seems to not pull them... just knock them down but they stay in place.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

It's those chains that wrap around them. You can't help but feel like Scorpion.

Do you find that your pull move doesn't pull the person (if you've pvp'ed that is) always? My thief grappling line move sometimes seems to not pull them... just knock them down but they stay in place.

Doesn't always pull in PvE either. Sometimes it just knocks them down. Usually happens on uneven terrain, or if there's an obstruction.

Ferrio

Banned
It's those chains that wrap around them. You can't help but feel like Scorpion.

Doesn't always pull in PvE either. Sometimes it just knocks them down. Usually happens on uneven terrain, or if there's an obstruction.

Reaaaaaaaaly sucks when that happens. It's happening when there's not much really blocking them. Can get kited so hard when it does.

thetrin

So, is the game as great as the hype? Gonna get it next week, I think...

I don't know what the hype is saying, but I personally think it's the best MMO I've played.

chiablo

qcGtK.png

Yea... it's good.

There's a couple of issues I have with the game, but I'd say it is worth it.

One of my biggest annoyances right now is how (oddly enough) grinding gives almost no experience. I love how they have given ways to gain XP other than grinding, but grinding alone gives nothing.

The best way to gain XP is to explore the map, which is all fine and dandy until you want to play another character.

Ferrio

Banned
I've had mine pull the wrong enemy...

That makes sense though, just cause you target doesn't mean it'll hit the person.. if someone walks infront of it.

One of my biggest annoyances right now is how (oddly enough) grinding gives almost no experience. I love how they have given ways to gain XP other than grinding, but grinding alone gives nothing.

The best way to gain XP is to explore the map, which is all fine and dandy until you want to play another character.

Do WvWvW, closest to grinding in the game.

BLCKATK

I really can't wait for the server re balancing in WvW. My server (Dragonsbrand) is getting owned by Blackgate, so bad that everyone has literally given up playing in WvW... kind of unacceptable that we are basically being locked out. I need to work on getting some people together.

Holy shit. The Quick Look comments section is BLOWING UP.

Pretty much the norm for every quick look at a MMO from them. They really hate MMO's and this is to be expected.

Grinding works great. It's called crafting

Palmer_v1

Damn, still broken!

Due to unforeseen Guild circumstances, I can't invite right now. Their last build made me sit outside of the guild (which is weird) and I can't do invites at all.

Rest assured, ArenaNet is working on it. We even have two of their employees in our guild. :)

Nice. I demand they're removed until the issues are fixed.

Joking
Still joking

chiablo

I really can't wait for the server re balancing in WvW. My server (Dragonsbrand) is getting owned by Blackgate, so bad that everyone has literally given up playing in WvW... kind of unacceptable that we are basically being locked out. I need to work on getting some people together.

Apparently, some hardcore Korean guild rolled on Stormbluff:

qmMJcm.jpg

Wasn't this one-sided yesterday.

Deitus

Nice. I demand they're removed until the issues are fixed.

Joking
Not really

Removing them from the guild is a bit harsh. We should just tell them to stop playing the game and get back to work.
I actually am joking.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So many of you may remember that long ago I had made a post on how to configure your setup to play Guild Wars 2 with a gamepad. WeltallZero approached me about improving on and refining this project. After many revisions and an enormous amount of work on his part (including many hours of headstart, thank you buddy!), we have arrived at a solution that is very simple for anyone to set up, very efficient and natural, and incorporates a TON of crucial functions (including some that aren't even bound in-game by default).

We call it: The Ultimate Configuration
(Click on the Google Docs link, then go to File->Download. Personally I just saved any extracted it in my GW2 folder.)

The underlying magic can work with any controller but our profile assumes you're using a 360 controller; I'm not sure how it reacts to others yet. Weltall has included detailed, easy-to-follow instructions and I HIGHLY suggest you read through them, but for those who want the quick and dirty "make it work!" version:

-Extract the zip.

-If on Win7, right click on Xpadder.exe, go to properties and set it to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows Vista

-Open START.BAT. This opens Xpadder and the AutoHotKey script that makes all this work. If your gamepad is on, but XPadder doesn't show a large Xbox360 gamepad image, you may have to manually select the Gamepad profile. Just click the top leftmost tiny icon that looks like a gamepad, select "Open", then select the file "Xbox 360 Controller.xpaddercontroller".

-Make the following keybinds in GW2:
, (comma) to "Previous Target". You don't have to clear the default (Shift+Tab), just add it as its alternate.
. (period) to "Swap Weapons". Again, keep the default binding and add it as an alternate. This is to avoid conflicts with different regional keyboards using different keys for this.
Z to "Stow/Draw Weapons".
X to "Swim Down".
L to "Walk".
U to "About Face".
Numpad + to "Camera" -> "Zoom In". This MUST replace the PgUp binding.
Numpad - to "Camera" -> "Zoom Out". This MUST replace the PgDown binding.
-Turn double-tap to dodge off. You most likely want to turn auto-loot on as well.
-The default Camera Rotation Speed in GW2 is very low. Raise it in the options a bit (to roughly halfway up the slider). You can always adjust this to your preference.

And you're done, configuration complete. From here on out it's a pretty darn seamless experience. Here's the layout:
ibjfYk0wJm46N.png

It looks complicated of course, but in all honestly, the core functions are all very simple. The really important things are:
-Hold Back to get your mouse cursor, RB to Left Click and RT to Right Click
-RB is used to access many secondary functions, i.e., X is Skill 1, but RB + X is Utility Skill 1 (7 key)

Many of my original bindings remain, and a bunch of stuff I didn't even try to map is included. Some of the mapping decisions might seem weird to you but this has honestly been playtested by us to hell and back and it's really quite something. If you've been using a gamepad before now, making the switch over can take a little getting used to (especially just relying on the back button for all cursor-duties), but it's so worth it. If you're just trying out using a controller for the first time, there's no better time!

The real magic here is a solution Weltall implemented in the script to reset your mouse pointer to a fixed positon anytime you move the camera, press or release back, etc. This translates to a vast improvement in AoE skill usability, as they'll always be aimable from a fixed position. It takes a little getting used to but it feels incredibly natural.

If you're playing in windowed mode or fullscreen windowed mode, he even added an overlaid cursor to help with aiming. Tragically we can't find a workaround yet to get this to appear in fullscreen, but even without it you can get used to aiming pretty quickly.

To return to normal windows operation just click R3 when you're done playing (or hit F7).

Please give it a shot and post your thoughts and impressions! Xpadder's GUI is actually pretty intuitive, so feel free to make your own tweaks and modifications and share them. Weltall and I will probably continue making "official" releases with small tweaks and fixes for a while, and the link in this post will go to the updated version.

Ferny

Damn, still broken!

I had that issue before. I could not see or do anything regarding the guild at all.

pyrandes

Lag permitting, Ill be interested in doing AC tonite (story mode). Want to get that sone before PAX, since I wont be here for the guild events.

So apparently since I tried to change my password right when they started having problems with their service my account now doesn't really have a password connected to it. Really frustrating.

Aeana

Trading post finally seems to be working. I've made 32 silver so far! Considering I started with 40, and that was the highest I'd ever had up to that point, that's pretty good. :)

Orayn

Hawkian, that config looks great and it's pretty similar to one I've been trying to create for a whole now. One question, though: Why use RB as your shift state rather than RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom