• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaelic

Banned
positives

game is very fun

negatives

no patch notes
mail is intermittent
overflow out of control
guild invites were broken
official servers still down
trading post still down

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've tried a couple times. Both times I didn't have anything. I have no idea how it works I guess. :(

You have to use components, not raw mats. Basically, whatever you make in discovery must be a finished piece, not just a component.

So, if you're jewelcrafting, you have to make settings, hooks and rings with copper before you can use discovery.

If you want something very hard to watch, go to the Giant Bomb Quick Look:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-guild-wars-2/17-6501/

Jeff never dodges :(

I don't think I can watch. Sounds painful.

I can't really blame him. 99% of MMOs you just sit and trade blows with enemies and this game doesn't teach you about the dodge function very well.

The game needs to start with the player training for combat with an NPC before you hit the starter zone. Put them in a dojo or boot camp, or something.

zlatko

Banned
I can't really blame him. 99% of MMOs you just sit and trade blows with enemies and this game doesn't teach you about the dodge function very well.

I don't dodge at all really. The only times I have is in PvP if a circle forms under me so I can roll out of it quickly. I haven't found enemies in PvE I can make use of the mechanic for. :/

TheYanger

I don't dodge at all really. The only times I have is in PvP if a circle forms under me so I can roll out of it quickly. I haven't found enemies in PvE I can make use of the mechanic for. :/

Every enemy. Look at their animations. For instance, dredge guys will rear back and cast a shockwave looking tunnelling attack, you can dodge it (from melee by reacting very fast, from ranged by physically dodging it before it gets to you). There are small tells for all but the most basic attacks.

zlatko

Banned
Every enemy. Look at their animations. For instance, dredge guys will rear back and cast a shockwave looking tunnelling attack, you can dodge it (from melee by reacting very fast, from ranged by physically dodging it before it gets to you). There are small tells for all but the most basic attacks.

My Asura necro was only able to do 2 dodges before he was out of the energy to do anymore. Is that typical?

My Asura necro was only able to do 2 dodges before he was out of the energy to do anymore. Is that typical?

Yup that's by design, everyone can only dodge twice back to back before having to wait (hence why the energy bar is split into 2 sections)

If you want something very hard to watch, go to the Giant Bomb Quick Look:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-guild-wars-2/17-6501/

Jeff never dodges :(

O god those comments make me want to just skip the video :/ If I recall correctly, Jeff disliked the BWE as well and shat on it then too, seems like hes done with MMOs in general

Deitus

Such a depressing quick look. Alot of "MMO Ass MMO" and general apathy towards the game.

I haven't watched it yet (and maybe I won't at this point), but that does indeed sound depressing. I had been wondering when Jeff would give the game a second chance after he dismissed the game outright based on 5 minutes of gameplay (though I guess that doesn't even count as giving it a first chance). Even though he did a quick look, it doesn't sound like he had any intention of figuring out what the game is about. What a shame.

Ashodin

I've also had an attempt to reset my password.

If you get the email saying that someone is trying to reset your password, ignore the email and don't change it. If you think your password IS too easy to guess, change it to something even harder to hack.

Also, I'll be online today if anyone wants invites. I don't think they're working very well right now, but I'll try to get people in as I can.

I REPEAT. IF YOU ARE IN THE SPREADSHEET, MESSAGE ME AND I'LL GET YOU IN. PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT CAN MESSAGE AS WELL.

Aeana

I sat down and wrote out the effects of all of my weapon abilities, and whether they started a combo or finished one, and I've got the sheet sitting next to me as I play. It's much easier to keep track of everything this way, sheesh. I'm sure I'll get used to it all eventually, but it really was difficult to remember which weapon had what before.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
positives

game is very fun

negatives

no patch notes
mail is intermittent
overflow out of control
guild invites were broken
official servers still down
trading post still down

Seriously there are a lot more positives than negatives. That post of yours gives it an undeserved slant that there are more things wrong with the game than right.

I got worried about everyone talking about getting password reset emails while I was at work so I went on my phone and tried to change mine. Turns out that the reset didn't take and now I can't even log on with my old or new password. Not quite sure what to do for a speedy response because all they have is a ticket service online. Probably won't be able to make it on tonight because of this.

Even with dodging, it only comes in to play a little. Majority of combat still is standing around trading blows. Majority of enemies never require dodging to defeat, so game does poor job of teaching ppl since its not essential to use outside of some bosses and pvp

This is not an action mmo like terra

vaelic

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-grouping-fix-incoming-arenanet-responds/

Guild Wars 2 early access players encountered a slew of connections issues over the weekend, including a grouping bug. Developer ArenaNet has promised that a patch is being worked on as you read this. Read the full statement below.

The ArenaNet statement explained, “We currently have a couple serious bugs with one of our important back end systems. This error is causing the loss of trading post, players to sometimes be separated and unable to travel to each other when switching maps and entering overflow servers, and numerous guild errors. We are very sorry for this inconvenience and are currently working around the clock to try and remedy this error.”

“When this bug is fixed overflow servers will keep parties together and players will be able to travel to the same overflow server as any friend or guild member who is in an overflow.”

VG247′s Dave Cook is also keeping a journal of his Guild Wars 2 journey. You can read part one

Ferrio

Banned
Even with dodging, it only comes in to play a little. Majority of combat still is standing around trading blows. Majority of enemies never require dodging to defeat, so game does poor job of teaching ppl since its not essential to use outside of some bosses and pvp

This is not an action mmo like terra

Not needed cause the enemies aren't scaled that hard... helpful yes. Fuck ever have those scorpians apply poison to you? Much rather dodge that crap instead of sitting there dying for 15 seconds after I've killed the thing.

Also, I'll be online today if anyone wants invites. I don't think they're working very well right now, but I'll try to get people in as I can.

I REPEAT. IF YOU ARE IN THE SPREADSHEET, MESSAGE ME AND I'LL GET YOU IN. PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT CAN MESSAGE AS WELL.

I got your name off the spreadsheet, but it keeps telling me that you don't exist in game.

EDIT: Never mind, noticed the OP updated with your character name and that worked. Your User ID is wrong on the roster document though.

Wag

OK, I just got my retail copy. How do I register my retail copy on my headstart without creating a new account?

erragal

The problem is basing proper pve play on this mechanic. Enemy ground effects/animations can be nearly indistinguishable even in 5 man dungeon situations and the reaction time leeway for melee is very unforgiving.

They really need to go back and touch up the particle effects/animations to make things more noticeable in messy situations. The pve game as a whole is very very pug unfriendly as random groups just don't have the ability to stick to a plan/move in tandem. This makes pug pve groups a chaotic mess and the free corpse running eliminates an incentive to develop a workable strategy.

There is a lot I really enjoy about GW2 but eliminating the holy trinity is
problematic when you don't have some structure in place for people to work around. There are also plenty of enemies who hit extremely hard with completely untelegraphed attacks;it is very much a kiting and ranged character oriented pve game. Fortunately I'm a Guardian and have a lot of tools to mitigate these issues... my dagger/dagger elementalist was not so lucky.

Aeana

Looks like the trading post is back up, somewhat. I can see people's items for sale but can't seem to sell mine. :(

Seems like it's "up" in that the interface is up, but it doesn't really seem to be working very well. I can't get any results for searches at all.

You have to use the Discovery pane when crafting, that's the most important thing. Otherwise you will waste tons of mats

Could you go into a little more detail? Do you just use materials and such? Or do you have to craft items like Hilt or Blade for example and use those in conjunction with other stuff? Or is it anything goes?

EDIT: Nvm, see you answered it a bit down. Man, crafting is a bitch, might ignore it altogether lol

Trey

I've played Tera up to level 20 and I've played GW2, Battlemonkey. The combat for me was much more dynamic in GW2, ergo, it fit action MMO much better.

Kalnos

Banned
There is a lot I really enjoy about GW2 but eliminating the holy trinity is
problematic when you don't have some structure in place for people to work around.

I think the the combat is effective in creating an interesting PvP game with WvWvW and the scenarios. I agree though that the PvE is really lacking.

The PvE game feels like Warhammer public quests with random special events (that are basically more public quests) thrown in the mix at times.

Stuart444

So might try AC in a few hours or so if I can get some guildies interested (or pug it if need be), any advice for this dungeon? Or skills that eles can/should bring? (I'll probably go staff ele due to water healing stuff)

Kimaka

OK, I just got my retail copy. How do I register my retail copy on my headstart without creating a new account?

Go to the Gem Store and redeem the code there.

I don't remember seeing it posted here, but it was mentioned in the guild chat that some people's accounts are getting hacked because of a Java exploit. Decided to post it here since some people aren't in the guild yet. There is also this thread on Reddit talking about it.

ShaneB

If you want to get the game working with Mumble Overlay, use this.

Put this at the end of your targetline for your GW2 shortcut.

-password <pass> -email <account> -nopatchui

Fill in the <> with your real info obviously. When a new patch is out you will have to take out the -nopatchui but otherwise it works just fine.

YES! Thank you!!!

Ashodin

Damn, still broken!

Due to unforeseen Guild circumstances, I can't invite right now. Their last build made me sit outside of the guild (which is weird) and I can't do invites at all.

Rest assured, ArenaNet is working on it. We even have two of their employees in our guild. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy shit. The Quick Look comments section is BLOWING UP.

Rest assured, ArenaNet is working on it. We even have two of their employees in our guild. :)

THIS I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom