• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know this is probably the dumbest question asked in this thread so far, but how do you use waypoints? I run up to them and stand underneath them, mash f, try to double click, etc. and nothing happens. I feel like an idiot watching people teleport in and out.
Aww you poor thing :)

protip: You can click on waypoints in your minimap, too. Often this lets you teleport without a loading screen.

edit: Damnit, ignore Ferrio, he's just a grouch! ;)

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
What I've noticed though is that the basics for the trinity are there, I mean there is even a Tanky line of traits for my warrior but it feels like they went out of their way to eliminate the actual role just to say there are no defined roles.

By reworking the talents in the traits the tank line could effectively become a tank, it will be interesting to see what ends up happening but I don't think they will go that route

They'd have to rebalance a lot of classes. It would be rather unfair of them to tell everyone "oh hey no roles to worry about" then saddle some of us as pure dpsers. One thing I learned from WoW is I will never roll pure dps, and if a trinity was present I wouldn't have in this either.

zlatko

Banned
Go to your map... click on them.

And yes it was, haha.

Not the dumbest. I had the same issue when I started. I thought I wasn't discovering them or "activating them". I forgot which tutorial finally mentioned you can click on them on the map to tele, but up to then I was just hoofing it. :p

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I have to say, currently some of their major PvE encounters are really, really poorly tuned. My server was attempting to open Arah and for all of ArenaNet's talk of not requiring specific classes/builds, you absolutely *need* someone who can strip boons (which is very, very rare) and you need as many people as possible bringing knockbacks/knockdowns for the Champion Eye in the event leading up to it.

How often do you need to strip boons? I wanna say on my necro I can do it every 40 seconds or so, is that sufficient, or do you need to be chain purging?

Deitus

So you can use a waypoint from anywhere? You don't have to near one to go to another? That's pretty cool.

Yes you can. Although there is a fee for using the waypoints, and the fee is increased based on how far you travel. The fee isn't huge, but it's enough that there is incentive to not just teleport all over the damn place instead of walking.

Edit: Actually, considering time is money, it probably is cost effective to always teleport, but it costs enough that I don't want to do that. And I think I enjoy the game more when I'm walking from place to place and taking in the scenery, but I have the option to travel quicker when I need to.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
IS THE SWAMP EVER NOT FUCKING DORMANT?

Seriously... how long do I need to stay in the fucking swamp to fight the boss? Does it only spawn once every 24 hours or some bullshit?

Swamp is dormant. Story of my life. Have never seen that sucker awake.

Gritesh

They'd have to rebalance a lot of classes. It would be rather unfair of them to tell everyone "oh hey no roles to worry about" then saddle some of us as pure dpsers. One thing I learned from WoW is I will never roll pure dps, and if a trinity was present I wouldn't have in this either.

I understand, what I think would have worked better for them in the end would have been to make each class viable and equal at all three roles but in a unique aspect to each class

No class would be a pure dps or healer or tank all would be viable and equal at each mechanic bit in their own unique way

This is just my two cents, like I said I'm loving the game right now I just foresee this as an issue in the coming weeks/months when players are looking for that longevity out of the game.

"How often do you need to strip boons? I wanna say on my necro I can do it every 40 seconds or so, is that sufficient, or do you need to be chain purging?"

I don't know how often it's reapplied because the offender in this case (Retaliation that hit for ~780 a tick) was *never* down until the eye was around 40-50%. It absolutely brutalized everyone.

_machine

Just did run of Ascalonian Catacombs with fellow Gafdarians (get it, Gandara gaffers) and I must say that I'm 100% convinced with the game. I had my doubts about the lack of holy trinity and my ele having to shuffle attunements constantly for maximum power, but honestly, it was awesome. We had 3 eles and no heavy armor classes, but didn't feel like we'd needed one. You could learn the encounters on the fly, the difficulty felt almost spot-on (Adelbern was a bit easy, but the lovers were really tough) for the first dungeon. My only criticism was that I felt that it was a bit long; it took around 2hrs for us to complete though there were quite a few wipes as well.

Also, you rock guys!

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I understand, what I think would have worked better for them in the end would have been to make each class viable and equal at all three roles but in a unique aspect to each class

No class would be a pure dps or healer or tank all would be viable and equal at each mechanic bit in their own unique way

This is just my two cents, like I said I'm loving the game right now I just foresee this as an issue in the coming weeks/months when players are looking for that longevity out of the game.

I concur, I think that to have meaningful endgame you typically have to have defined class roles. Thats why I am making this primarily my pvp game until I see otherwise.

zlatko

Banned

If this game wasn't F2P I wouldn't have bothered. It'll help immensely with making me come back in the coming weeks/months even if the game has bumps in the road.

regarding PVE dungeons:

I think people clamoring for a more "structured" PvE experience in the five man dungeons are greatly underestimating the ability of MMO players to adapt to new situations and challenges. What seems very difficult and hard to manage now might be faceroll easy in a matter of weeks once everyone has figured out the skill/gear loadouts, weapon choices, and mob control techniques for these dungeons.

MMO players are resourceful. It's why in almost every MMO the stealth DPS class is busted clean in half in any given game most the time, ( 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 now in GW2, for example, but that hardly was much work) the players of those classes are just too good at optimization and figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's why we have things like effective health theory and other advanced theorycrafting that paves the way for success in these games.

So give the players some credit and time to adapt. My suspicion is that there will be a halfway point between class tuning for PvE and player behavior changes that will make the PvE stuff fine without the need to start to pigeonhole classes to roles.

Sephon

35 hours played now, time to quit earlier now so I don't get too addicted at once ;)

42CB7A7AB3D1E3ACEC4271A0EADBCAE4B3E137DF

Ferrio

Banned
Do seige weapons in WvWvW had a time limit? I was manning a lone arrow cart, and I wasn't taking no damage (and neither was the cart as far as I coudl tell), all of a sudden it's health dropped in regular increments and disappeared.

"Do seige weapons in WvWvW had a time limit? I was manning a lone arrow cart, and I wasn't taking no damage (and neither was the cart as far as I coudl tell), all of a sudden it's health dropped in regular increments and disappeared."

Were you attacking someone? It's possible you were attacking someone with retaliation.

Deitus

Do seige weapons in WvWvW had a time limit? I was manning a lone arrow cart, and I wasn't taking no damage (and neither was the cart as far as I coudl tell), all of a sudden it's health dropped in regular increments and disappeared.

Spah's sappin' mah arrow cart!

That is weird though. I haven't heard anything about a time limit on siege weapons.

Ferrio

Banned
"Do seige weapons in WvWvW had a time limit? I was manning a lone arrow cart, and I wasn't taking no damage (and neither was the cart as far as I coudl tell), all of a sudden it's health dropped in regular increments and disappeared."

Were you attacking someone? It's possible you were attacking someone with retaliation.

I was attacking lots of someones. Didn't know retaliation could kill seige weapons.. and so quickly. Still seems odd.

One thing I'm liking Thief in WvWvW is I'm slippery as hell. I haven't gotton run down yet, only times I die is in fights I decide not to retreat. Stealth + Movement speed sig + quickness on evades.

"How often do you need to strip boons? I wanna say on my necro I can do it every 40 seconds or so, is that sufficient, or do you need to be chain purging?"

I don't know how often it's reapplied because the offender in this case (Retaliation that hit for ~780 a tick) was *never* down until the eye was around 40-50%. It absolutely brutalized everyone.

That's weird. In any grouping of people larger than say, 8, there should be several people who can strip boons - but likely, they're either not throwing down the required fields, or they've spec'ed out of them and won't bother to back up until out of combat, to equip the required skill.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah they have time limits. I don't know the time, but in one of the BWEs we had one guy run around Stonemist constantly and using every siege weapon to keep it from despawning so we were prepared for any oncoming assault.

I posted this in the other thread but since it's in the community section, it might not be seen. I made this simple custom image for Guild Wars 2 to use in your Steam Library. Feel free to use it. :)

Hfdwc.png

Making these shouldn't be too hard with the stitching filter in Photoshop, but it looks like the annoying part is cropping the top part of the picture because there's no first person mode (unless you have another secret method)

I just use the free Microsoft ICE, and I didn't take that many vertical slices (just one), so I could make better ones if I spent more time taking shots.

I tend to /sleep, switch off hud, zoom in to hide the sleeping body, and that's that.

"That's weird. In any grouping of people larger than say, 8, there should be several people who can strip boons - but likely, they're either not throwing down the required fields, or they've spec'ed out of them and won't bother to back up until out of combat, to equip the required skill."

Not necessarily, only 2 classes can remove or convert boons. There's definitely no guarantee that you'll have several mesmers or necromancers, and ultimately they'd be required to use those weapons/specs to remove said boons, which is "supposed" to be antithetical to what ANet wants. It also seems silly to me to require something that's so rare to get past what is essentially a trash mob.

Won

Just had that big fire elemental in the Asuras level <15 area pop. I have no idea how this is supposed to be done.
We ended up corpse running it and at 50% health and there comes the "NEW BUILD AVAILABLE! HAHA WE GONNA RESTART YOUR GAME LOL SUCKERS" (well something in that direction) :(

Zafir

Spend a good half an hour trying to get 5 of us in the level 30 dungeon(One of us always kept on being sent to a seperate "instance"). Now we get a new patch and we can't log back in. Lovely.

LimeD3

Neo Member
I fear that the omission of the "holy trinity" will end up hurting the game in the long run, while it works for the most part I truly believe that part of an mmo's success is attributed to dungeons, especially at the end game level.

With no clear tanks or healers all dungeons will be delegated to a Zerg fest.
Also With lacking threat management and not being able to be an effective tank in the group melee dps is almost always screwed due to the fact that the boss will just turn on you at any given moment and mess you up.

In the end the unstructured over dungeon scenario will be the downfall of this game for me, however as of now in the leveling and exploration process Im really enjoying the game.

It's sad they really did a lot of things right here, just a few things that I feel while trying to differentiate from other mmos will end up driving mmo players back to that other game in the end.

I experienced this as well, however I think that right now dungeons are only so unstructured because not enough people know enough about their class to really know how to perform in a dungeon.

For instance, if this game had a holy trinity the dps would generally know that they needed to be pumping in dps, the tank would know they need to be the one keeping the dps from getting hit and the healer would know that they should be running around making sure no one dies (lets forget whether they're any good at it for the moment).

However, this game has blended the holy trinity into each of the classes and made each party member accountable in some way for each role (albeit in varying amounts), so it has become more difficult for each party member to know how best they can support their team. Unfortunately, this means that most people will just give up thinking and do random things while hoping for the best (i.e. zerging). But over time I expect as people get more used to what their classes can do it will become less of a zergfest (at least for static groups).

I think what will happen eventually is that people will learn that "tanking" is no longer a 1 person job, but instead a group effort where 1 person might hold a enemy's aggro, but everyone else will be watching the boss' movements to use their support skills (when necessary) to prevent that person from taking too much damage. i.e. a guardian who does not have aggro currently will notice the current aggro target is out of dodge points, and so casts his/her aegis to protect the aggro target from the next attack, later on the party's engineer might be able to help out by knocking the enemy down or blinding the target, etc. etc.

I think a gameplay dynamic like the above could prove to be very interesting for all party members and much more engaging for the party as a whole than the holy trinity is. However, of course this is just speculation from theorycrafting, but nonetheless it will be interesting to see how it works out as the game matures.

mackattk

Spend a good half an hour trying to get 5 of us in the level 30 dungeon(One of us always kept on being sent to a seperate "instance"). Now we get a new patch and we can't log back in. Lovely.

I always hate bring up other MMO's (especially WOW) into this, but it would be really nice if arenanet implemented a dungeon finder to be able to queue up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom