• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Open your Hero sheet (H), click the crossed swords icon at the bottom on the left, 'Enter the Mists'.

I loved that quest in Plains of Ashford, if only because it once again highlighted the Charr propensity for puns.
"It's a full skale assault, hyuck".

Okay cool. Thanks. I'll try it out later tonight to see if I like it more than the chaos of WvW.

Questions about WvW while I'm at it:

All of the NPCs at the starting area, are they not useful till around level 40 to get gear from?

What can I do with the Tokens I got? Can I trade them between characters?

Is there other means of quickly getting back in the action? I hate running all the way from the starting teleport area diamond. :( Sometimes I just can't get a raise from someone.

The other teleporters in the start, what purpose do they serve? I saw one for stormbluff isle, so I assume I was doing WvW for another world?

Is it worth my time to kill the random enemies in the WvW zone, or go mining/gathering/logging there?

Macattk15

That last boss in the first dungeon (AC) was just stupid..or rather the dungeon mechanics in this game are.

Having a waypoint right beside the boss, literally makes it impossible for you to fail. But at the same time I did not learn shit, I was almost always instakilled just running into the room, but it didn't matter because I would just respawn and run right back in....

I've accepted the loss of the trinity, but I 100% believe the boss should be locked down fight from waypoints. You can be rezzed but it needs to be someone in the pary during the fight that does it

I agree.

Some of the mechanics in the dungeons are just downright stupid. There is often NO room for error. A boss will do something and if you don't evade perfectly or can't because you've been evading all of his other attacks that literally take 3/4 of my HP bar.

I understand there being no "tank" but god damn ... why do the mobs in dungeons kill you in 1 hit then?

Vinci

Danish
Ressing people doesn't contribute unless ressing the character in question for the quest (such as one of the NPCs). That said, given how group-oriented most quests are, it's probably useful to keep people alive as often as possible. What's more, for collection quests and the like, the advantages are obvious to keeping many players alive. Pure DPS quests (such as defend point X) it's a bit more nebulous. There's also the fact that ressing people gives way more experience than killing enemies does, but I guess that's something else entirely.

It's not nebulous at all. If the point of an event is that you kill this duder right here and you're buffing everyone's damage, you are ACTIVELY contributing to the outcome the event asks you to accomplish. The game should account for that, or it mitigates the appeal of running a support-oriented build.

Even not factoring ressing is moronic as hell. Why would you ever want to do anything but promote people ressing others? People aren't completely stupid all the time. They'll recognize that if they chase after a res on someone that it would mean they'd die. Hell, I die far more when trying to res than I do trying to DPS.

Toki767

That Albin Chronicler task with the Jotun trading was so long and tedious. I had to stop playing after that.

I did make it to level 15 though. I'm stuck on the level 11 story quest though. For now I guess I'll just explore the next area and not bother with the story.

Darb

Neo Member
Not sure WvW is for me. Just seems like one big zerg fest - superior numbers wins all the time.

As a thief, I try to avoid the zerg. I've been having loads of fun working on the smaller objectives like supply camps. There is surprisingly lots of small group action there. I also especially like checking the skill points areas for unsuspecting victims.....

Cyrano

It's not nebulous at all. If the point of an event is that you kill this duder right here and you're buffing everyone's damage, you are ACTIVELY contributing to the outcome the event asks you to accomplish. The game should account for that, or it mitigates the appeal of running a support-oriented build.

Even not factoring ressing is moronic as hell. Why would you ever want to do anything but promote people ressing others? People aren't completely stupid all the time. They'll recognize that if they chase after a res on someone that it would mean they'd die. Hell, I die far more when trying to res than I do trying to DPS.
I will say that I believe the game doesn't reward the support player enough, but then it never really actively necessitates a pure support player to begin with, excepting instances and raid-like group fights (Fire Elemental, etc.).

I agree that there's more the game could do to reward the support player, but I can also see how it would be something easy to overlook. Probably best to put in a query to the developers regarding the issue.

Vinci

Danish
I will say that I believe the game doesn't reward the support player enough, but then it never really actively necessitates a pure support player to begin with, excepting instances and raid-like group fights (Fire Elemental, etc.).

To be fair, it doesn't necessitate a glass cannon either. In fact, it doesn't necessitate anything. If it did, we'd be just as well off playing WoW. [No offense meant to people who still play and love that game.]

I agree that there's more the game could do to reward the support player, but I can also see how it would be something easy to overlook. Probably best to put in a query to the developers regarding the issue.

Did last night.

V_Arnold

It punishes you for looking out for others.
At one bossfight, I ressed 40+ people in the 4+ minute fight, and at the end of the fight, I got bronze contribution. Ever since then, I ress one or two people max, and completely neglect defensive abilities, because they took time to cast (Guardian!!!4)

So ArenaNet devs most likely thought that in a 20+ player event group, maybe everyone will ress a player or two, and that is fine, but they did not go out of their way to reward those that intuitively pick up the role of the "healer".

Well, that is a design flaw, and I expect that it will be corrected soon, otherwise it would be pointless to craft anything with +healing , +toughness on it, cause who will need that anyway?

Cyrano

To be fair, it doesn't necessitate a glass cannon either. In fact, it doesn't necessitate anything. If it did, we'd be just as well off playing WoW. [No offense meant to people who still play and love that game.]
Ehm, while I agree that it doesn't necessitate glass cannons, if there's one part of the holy trinity that's necessary in all cases, it's the damage part. Can't really play a game that requires the killing of critters without damage.

Did last night.
Well, hope for the best. I enjoy playing support class too and hope they'll add more rewards to playing in such a manner.

mackattk

At one bossfight, I ressed 40+ people in the 4+ minute fight, and at the end of the fight, I got bronze contribution. Ever since then, I ress one or two people max, and completely neglect defensive abilities, because they took time to cast (Guardian!!!4)

So ArenaNet devs most likely thought that in a 20+ player event group, maybe everyone will ress a player or two, and that is fine, but they did not go out of their way to reward those that intuitively pick up the role of the "healer".

Well, that is a design flaw, and I expect that it will be corrected soon, otherwise it would be pointless to craft anything with +healing , +toughness on it, cause who will need that anyway?

Yeah, I don't like that too much. One thing that I do like is that at least as an elementalist, using water spells can heal other players. I just wish it would heal myself as well (unless I am wrong).

Cyrano

Not rewarding the player as much for playing a support role is not the same as punishing. Gold contribution versus Bronze contribution are rarely too far afield of each other (though I'm still in the low 20s, it may change more drastically later on, and if it does so then forgive my ignorance).

Vinci

Danish
Ehm, while I agree that it doesn't necessitate glass cannons, if there's one part of the holy trinity that's necessary in all cases, it's the damage part. Can't really play a game that requires the killing of critters without damage.

Why are you approximating a non-DPS build with no DPS? Nowhere am I suggesting that people would do nothing other than res and buff and then hide away behind trees during cooldowns. I'm not attempting to diminish the role damage plays. Far from it. I'm suggesting that damage is increased and/or possible largely due to others' actions.

The defensive build Guardian is just as annoying, if not more so, than the glass cannon Warrior. So no, I don't really agree that damage holds some prominent position relative to the other focal points.

Not rewarding the player as much for playing a support role is not the same as punishing. Gold contribution versus Bronze contribution are rarely too far afield of each other (though I'm still in the low 20s, it may change more drastically later on, and if it does so then forgive my ignorance).

Yes, it is. If I ignore my other comrades on the field and do nothing but attack, I get Gold. If I try to help others and this leads to the boss going down faster? I get Bronze. This is punishing the helpful player and rewarding the pew-pew-pew player.

EDIT: I'll just come out and say it... I would rather the person who is being helpful to the entire group through resses, buffs, controls, and DPS get rewarded more than the guys who sit back and do nothing but hit buttons all day, ignoring others around them. I've seen enough of these guys to know they exist in this game and they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't reward them.

TheYanger

But it IS the same as punishing. You're helping just as much but getting less, when you can take the 'easy' route and get more. What's the difference between a glass half full or half empty? Yeah you have more xp/karma than you started with, but no crap you do, if you didn't that'd be a waste of time, you still have less than you would have/should have if you played like a mindless drone though, which is bass ackwards.

So tell what would be the difference between a healer profession and some guy that only runs around rezzing people?

Isnt that exactly what Anet tried to avoid??

IS THE SWAMP EVER NOT FUCKING DORMANT?

Seriously... how long do I need to stay in the fucking swamp to fight the boss? Does it only spawn once every 24 hours or some bullshit?

Macattk15

But you can't use that gear outside PvP, right? Or can you use Transmute stones to make PvE gear look like the PvP rank gear?

I'm hoping you could transmute it but I do not know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iTj1Kg82zM

I've definitely seen someone running around in the PvE world wearing the above set.

10 different sets for each profession? Anywhere I can see them?

In game I know you need to be of appropriate rank to see them ... but I'm sure there is somewhere you can see them online. I do not know if they differ per profession either (I think it just goes by armor type ... light/medium/heavy). I just noticed all of the Rank PvP vendors in the sPvP area last night.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_reward#Dragon_rank

For those that want it, here is a Plains of Ashford 100% complete map.

j7jOcbIGfCOHC.jpg

Direct link (LARGE - 5040 x 2498) 2.8MB

Thinking back at all those heart quests, not once did I get the "I've done this before" feeling when doing them, mostly because the phase of the heart would be near random when I'd get there. Some of those hearts, I never even saw half of the types of things you could be doing, to fill them in.

Vinci

Danish
I haven't talked much in this particular thread, so let me say something outright:

I LOVE THIS GAME

I enjoy it immensely. My complaints, as hardened as they are, about the contribution system are in no way an attack against the game. So for people who are lurking and thinking this is some woeful failing that brings owning the game into question? It doesn't. At all.

Yes, it's flawed in various ways - especially with launch issues at the moment - but by and large it is an incredible amount of fun to play.

So tell what would be the difference between a healer profession and some guy that only runs around rezzing people?

In an ideal world, everyone would help res when fighting something tough. It increases your odds of surviving the encounter and winning. And in this ideal world, which I assume we'll hit close to one day as people become more competent, this means that this role doesn't fall on just one person. So no, it's not the same except by necessity and people not cooperating.

It pretty much would be the same, they are relying on people sharing the responsibility and not leaving it all on one person.

In GW2, I don't *have* to heal anyone. Everyone is perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. If they get downed, it's more than likely their fault, and the only reason I'm helping them up is because that's the kind of guy I am.

Playing a Resto Shaman in WoW, it was expected of me to keep the bars full, and if anyone died, like the tank, it would first be blamed on the healer, no matter what the tank did to cause it, which was more often than not the case.

As an Engineer, using Elixir Gun, I can throw down huge restoration fields for increased health regeneration. Which is nice, but again, it's not required.

I think that's the main thing about GW2 - it doesn't *require* the Holy Trinity. People can still roll that way, to a degree, if they want: but it's not designed around it.

I like reviving people in the world, because it makes it a nicer place for everyone. And there's an Achievement track with a reward at the end, so that's nice too.

The only real issue GW2 faces, in the long run, is if people suffer too much ennui, like thinking "oh, they downed, well they can just die and res, who cares". But that's a cultural thing, and time will tell.

In GW2, I don't *have* to heal anyone. Everyone is perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. If they get downed, it's more than likely their fault, and the only reason I'm helping them up is because that's the kind of guy I am.

Playing a Resto Shaman in WoW, it was expected of me to keep the bars full, and if anyone died, like the tank, it would first be blamed on the healer, no matter what the tank did to cause it, which was more often than not the case.

As an Engineer, using Elixir Gun, I can throw down huge restoration fields for increased health regeneration. Which is nice, but again, it's not required.

I think that's the main thing about GW2 - it doesn't *require* the Holy Trinity. People can still roll that way, to a degree, if they want: but it's not designed around it.

I like reviving people in the world, because it makes it a nicer place for everyone. And there's an Achievement track with a reward at the end, so that's nice too.

The only real issue GW2 faces, in the long run, is if people suffer too much ennui, like thinking "oh, they downed, well they can just die and res, who cares". But that's a cultural thing, and time will tell.

I would consider it a requirement in dungeons...

Other times than that I agree, it's just a nice thing to do. But the holy trinity wasn't really dropped for regular pve purposes, it was for the dungeons where it's pretty much required to keep others up.

I don't think the Holy Trinity is required in dungeons - just good teamwork, balanced skills, and communication. If you PuG that shit, you're gonna have a bad time. The Holy Trinity works for PuGs, to a degree, because everyone is clear on what everyone ELSE is doing.

Anyone else hope they increase the collection hold limit from 250? For example I have 500 soft wood logs but can only hold 250 in collection so it is taking up bank space

I don't think the Holy Trinity is required in dungeons - just good teamwork, balanced skills, and communication. If you PuG that shit, you're gonna have a bad time. The Holy Trinity works for PuGs, to a degree, because everyone is clear on what everyone ELSE is doing.

I don't mean the trinity is required, I meant ressing people. If ressing people gets designated as a one person gig along with support while they are at it, it defeats the purpose all together. They meant for it to be a group initiative, which still works better in most cases, but it will still be delegated to one person more times than not.

Anyone else hope they increase the collection hold limit from 250? For example I have 500 soft wood logs but can only hold 250 in collection so it is taking up bank space

Yes! I have only one character at the moment but is the collections storage shared between characters as well? If so that is going to suck having multiple characters collections all in one place and the most of one item is only 250. It would help if the TP was up to get rid of it, but if you would rather save them for future crafting it still sucks.

The dungeons being difficult as they should be, are going to cause many folks to want to min max their rate of success as pretty common. In doing so, alot of it is going to break down to forming the trinity like setup. Trinity exists because it works and it's nothing to do with MMOs, it's been around for decades going back to the pen and paper rpg's because it's a simple setup for making encounters easier to manage.

Will it be required? Supposed to not, but players will still do it since it is helpful. People are a bit too ready to pounce on the use of the trinity as if it was a bad thing and that it should be elminated. If it works, it works. Players who want to do it, will still do it. Players in our guild are already trying to set up their specialized build for their roles, partly because it's a mindset they are stuck in, but it again is just something that is helpful for running group content and organizing everyones tasks n roles.

blackflag

Still loving this game. It is awesome but storage is starting to piss me off. I figure you can purchase extra storage and I was frustrated last night so I tried and then couldn't even buy anything because the store wasn't working.

I doubt they will. GW1 had the 250 limit, and it remained unchanged for 7 years.

I don't mean the trinity is required, I meant ressing people.

Oh right, sorry. I was kinda caught up in the previous few posts still. Yeah, ressing is a shared responsibility, or at least, it should be. Like Left 4 Dead 2.

People are a bit too ready to pounce on the use of the trinity as if it was a bad thing and that it should be elminated.

I never said the HT was a bad thing, but it *can* be a bad thing when design is held back because of stoic adherence to "what works" and as you say, "decades" of games that used it because it was the easiest to understand. I think people are just ready to try something else for a change, since almost 40 years of doing the same kind of encounter setup, is bound to get long in the tooth. So yeah, functionally, HT isn't bad. But its impact on designing newer encounter systems or more interesting variations, is undeniable. It's become a Skinner Box, and has trained generations to see it as the "One True God" when it comes to RPG design, and then if anything deviates, they instantly clamour to tell the designer that they're fools who know nothing. Look at how many people rage when a game goes of the "comfort zone beaten path", while simultaneously bemoaning the "lack of creativity" in games today.

That be some serious cognitive dissonance, to me.

So you guys get it! ANet isn't trying to punish those who only rez, they are rewarding those who have a more dynamic approach of the fight.

If rez had the same reward as attacking an enemy, we would see 7/10 people running around rezing downed players and not doing much more.

Since the events become harder the more people participating, it would be hard winning a boss fight (for example) with only 3/10 players attacking it!

So you guys get it! ANet isn't trying to punish those who only rez, they are rewarding those who have a more dynamic approach of the fight.

If rez had the same reward as attacking an enemy, we would see 7/10 people running around rezing downed players and not doing much more.

Since the events become harder the more people participating, it would be hard winning a boss fight (for example) with only 3/10 players attacking it!

As far as I can tell, nobody specified rezzing. Support in general (buffs, etc...) do nothing to get you to Gold rank.

rybrad

Still loving this game. It is awesome but storage is starting to piss me off. I figure you can purchase extra storage and I was frustrated last night so I tried and then couldn't even buy anything because the store wasn't working.
The inventory has been seriously pissing me off. I paid $60 for this game and super obvious money grab shit like that makes it feel like a crappy free to play game. That is great that you don't have to pay a monthly fee and all but the inventory situation (specifically the bank) is pretty damn awful.

Overall I enjoy the game but I hate the feeling of being nickel and dimed for a product I already dropped $60. Maybe I would feel differently if the AH wasn't completely screwed up and I didn't have to vendor all this crap I crafted but, again, that is their fault that the AH is not working.

zlatko

Banned
Okay cool. Thanks. I'll try it out later tonight to see if I like it more than the chaos of WvW.

Questions about WvW while I'm at it:

All of the NPCs at the starting area, are they not useful till around level 40 to get gear from?

What can I do with the Tokens I got? Can I trade them between characters?

Is there other means of quickly getting back in the action? I hate running all the way from the starting teleport area diamond. :( Sometimes I just can't get a raise from someone.

The other teleporters in the start, what purpose do they serve? I saw one for stormbluff isle, so I assume I was doing WvW for another world?

Is it worth my time to kill the random enemies in the WvW zone, or go mining/gathering/logging there?

Bump*

Also, adding 1 question:

When I completed a map to 100% I got the items that let you change one piece of gear into another and retain the stats of the first. If I wanted to give them to ad iff. character do I just mail them, or is there an easier way? Does the bank system allow you to share items between characters easily?

ttocs

Bump*

Also, adding 1 question:

When I completed a map to 100% I got the items that let you change one piece of gear into another and retain the stats of the first. If I wanted to give them to ad iff. character do I just mail them, or is there an easier way? Does the bank system allow you to share items between characters easily?

Yes, the bank is shared between characters.

NIN90

Wouldn't you get a fuckton of XP for ressing 40+ players? I'd rather call it unfair if you would get the res bonus PLUS the gold medal bonus.

Trey

Support oriented builds don't exist in GW2. There are support supplemental builds. But at the end or the day, you're meant to do damage. It's the reason why you can't target yourself or your allies directly with skills. Being downed is something to be avoided, not an eventuality. Therefore the onus is on the individual player, not the "healer" to play medic.

Macattk15

Wouldn't you get a fuckton of XP for ressing 40+ players? I'd rather call it unfair if you would get the res bonus PLUS the gold medal bonus.

Hmm ... I get around 100 xp for ressing people at level 41 ... yeah that would be unbalanced to also get the 2k xp for gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom