• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

So you guys get it! ANet isn't trying to punish those who only rez, they are rewarding those who have a more dynamic approach of the fight.

If rez had the same reward as attacking an enemy, we would see 7/10 people running around rezing downed players and not doing much more.

Since the events become harder the more people participating, it would be hard winning a boss fight (for example) with only 3/10 players attacking it!

The problem is they are not rewarding a "dynamic" approach to a fight, they are rewarding a pure DPS approach to a fight. If you stand perfectly still and mash your cooldowns, and only ever move to get out of the fire (or don't and wait for someone to revive you), you get gold participation. If you support the team in every way you can, from boons, to applying conditions to the enemy, to locking down enemy movement to protect allies, to healing, to reviving, you might only get silver or bronze participation if your damage isn't high enough. Even though you were much more useful to your team than the mindless DPS player (yes damage is needed, but if the whole team wipes the event is not completed, while lower damage will still kill the enemy eventually), you are not at all rewarded for your contributions, and instead penalized for not standing still and mashing your cooldowns. It encourages people to focus solely on "MAD DPS", and rely on someone else to babysit them and keep them alive, and THAT is what the elimination of the Holy Trinity was supposed to kill.

I think, since ArenaNet has designed this system in which every player has multiple ways to contribute to an encounter, they should reward all of those ways. However, in order to encourage people not to pigeon hole themselves into a single role, it might work better to have diminishing returns on participation rewards for a single task. So if a guy does nothing but damage the enemy he might be able to get a gold if he does a really good job, but it will be much easier to do if he throws out an occasional boon, and maybe revives someone who is downed. Likewise, doing nothing but healing and rezzing should give some amount of participation reward, but dishing out some damage in between would provide optimal rewards. The only problem with this system is it punishes specialization, but I'm not really sure how to incentivise diversity without penalizing specialization.

Wouldn't you get a fuckton of XP for ressing 40+ players? I'd rather call it unfair if you would get the res bonus PLUS the gold medal bonus.

But you won't get the bonus Karma or money reward from completing the event. Based on how quickly people level in this game, I'd say XP is the lesser of the three rewards.

type /age

You might want to try refreshing before replying.

I agree.

Some of the mechanics in the dungeons are just downright stupid. There is often NO room for error. A boss will do something and if you don't evade perfectly or can't because you've been evading all of his other attacks that literally take 3/4 of my HP bar.

I understand there being no "tank" but god damn ... why do the mobs in dungeons kill you in 1 hit then?

Playing melee is also next to impossible. Enemies do so much damage and since there's no sense of aggro control, they can turn on you and deuce on your face in about 1 second, even if you dodge constantly. Boss encounters almost always descend into kiting the boss around with guns and bows.

Macattk15

Playing melee is also next to impossible. Enemies do so much damage and since there's no sense of aggro control, they can turn on you and deuce on your face in about 1 second, even if you dodge constantly. Boss encounters almost always descend into kiting the boss around with guns and bows.

That is just silly. The game shouldn't be designed around you can rarely ever TAKE hits in dungeons.

I'm all for pro dodging of big attacks ... but you can only dodge so much. And with as many abilities as bosses have to fuck you with ... you're not given much of a fighting chance.

zlatko

Banned
Can any Guardians please explain to me how the Staff's Orb of Light skill works?

I started a GRD last night. That ability you have to click twice. If you watch the icon it swaps to something else, so just double/triple click the hotkey to get it to go off.

rybrad

I agree with this completely. I did AC with some friends last night and it devolved into everyone having to use ranged weapons which was a real bummer. The dungeon experience was so different (in a bad way) that it was pretty jarring; thankfully, dungeons are not the primary focus of the game.
That is just silly. The game shouldn't be designed around you can rarely ever TAKE hits in dungeons.

I'm all for pro dodging of big attacks ... but you can only dodge so much. And with as many abilities as bosses have to fuck you with ... you're not given much of a fighting chance.
I definitely enjoy the aspect of dodging big attacks, I really like that people have to pay attention.

Yea I keep ditching my melee weapons for a range swap in any boss fight, it's just so much easier and just makes more sense, while the melee players just get pounded on. Dodging is only so much effective since you can only dodge so much, while many of the attacks will hit you no matter what in melee range. While range players just dodge once in a while a specific attack and can otherwise just stand there going pew pew or kiting. Dodge is only useful to a point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I started a GRD last night. That ability you have to click twice. If you watch the icon it swaps to something else, so just double/triple click the hotkey to get it to go off.
It's the targeting that I really don't understand. It seems to just fly out of me and go underground.

Noaloha

Tonight my Ranger will find a pet spider and a pet pig. Names are already decided (Charlotte and Wilbur, duh.). I'm a little concerned though because the wiki tells me that the juvenile spider is found in a lvl25-40 zone and I'm only lvl11.

Is aggro (ie. hostile detection) in this game subtle enough to differentiate between sound and sight type? I've not been able to figure it out. I *think* there's no sight-aggro, and everything's just a radius, but that seems kinda dull and I want to believe that the game is more nuanced than that. It also means that stealthing my way through zones that I have no business being in (a la the fun times of being a lv25 White Mage in FFXI terrifiedly sneak/invis-ing around in Lv50 zones to res a higher level friend) will be a ballache, if it's at all possible.

I will also get a pet shark.

AzureSky

i dont get confusion builds as a mesmer. You are always trying to avoid damage and stop enemies from using skills. Whats the point of building a character around "damage on skill use"?
It could work for PvP, with specials triggering even when target is unreacheable (i think this is a bug which will/should eventually be fixed). But PvE doesnt make sense at all for me. Do i miss something here?

ttocs

Tonight my Ranger will find a pet spider and a pet pig. Names are already decided (Charlotte and Wilbur, duh.). I'm a little concerned though because the wiki tells me that the juvenile spider is found in a lvl25-40 zone and I'm only lvl11.

Is aggro (ie. hostile detection) in this game subtle enough to differentiate between sound and sight type? I've not been able to figure it out. I *think* there's no sight-aggro, and everything's just a radius, but that seems kinda dull and I want to believe that the game is more nuanced than that. It also means that stealthing my way through zones that I have no business being in (a la lv25 White Mage in FFXI terrifiedly sneak/invis-ing around in Lv50 zones to res a higher level friend) will be a bllache, if at all possible.

I will also get a pet shark.

There's a couple different pets out there with multiple skins. I found a spider somewhere in a lower zone, although it may have been a scorpion. I can't remember now. But look around and make sure there isn't another somewhere closer to your level.

ttocs

The small bank space is killing meeeee! Need gems, need gold to get gems, need Trading Post to get gold!

The collectibles tab helps since you don't need to store crafting materials in the bank but crafting stuff you made that you can't use yet is what is currently filling up mine. I'm going to be unlocking some additional space soon.

This game has such beauty and serenity.

jF4FtaeLnadll.jpg

Direct Large (9000x1000)

Noaloha

There's a couple different pets out there with multiple skins. I found a spider somewhere in a lower zone, although it may have been a scorpion. I can't remember now. But look around and make sure there isn't another somewhere closer to your level.

Oooh-hoo. I don't suppose you know what the name of the area was? If not, which race's starting area was it?

EDIT: nevermind, I'm guessing it was Maguuma Jungle. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm having a rough time trying not to dye while trying to get the exp one.
Just find one color scheme and stick with it! www.instantrimshot.com

Btw I support increasing the rewards for people who play a support role during events. There's no reason no to encourage that kind of play as it helps everyone. However, I do NOT think that just running around rezzing people for the duration of an event should result in the Gold contribution alone, as the XP rewards for doing so are already quite substantial and it would equate to rewarding more for doing that than actually completing the event objectives.

This game has such beauty and serenity.

jF4FtaeLnadll.jpg

Direct Large (9000x1000)
MORE PLZ

ttocs

Oooh-hoo. I don't suppose you know what the name of the area was? If not, which race's starting area was it?

It would have been one of the starter areas since I haven't really been looking for pets beyong there. I was able to collect quite a few from the major cities and starting zones.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The inventory has been seriously pissing me off. I paid $60 for this game and super obvious money grab shit like that makes it feel like a crappy free to play game. That is great that you don't have to pay a monthly fee and all but the inventory situation (specifically the bank) is pretty damn awful.

Overall I enjoy the game but I hate the feeling of being nickel and dimed for a product I already dropped $60. Maybe I would feel differently if the AH wasn't completely screwed up and I didn't have to vendor all this crap I crafted but, again, that is their fault that the AH is not working.
Wow, cannot get behind this attitude at all. They're not charging you a monthly fee, and everything you can buy with gems you could get with gold too. At level 29 I've bought 180 gems with in-game money and kept about half my silver; if I get to 600 I can get a bank expansion slot without spending a nickel or a dime.

Granted I don't think I will spend them on that since I'm not much of a pack rat. What I really need is bigger inventory bags, I'm still rocking the silly original 4-slot ones.

inky

I think if melee classes had a couple of rolls more, or random chance to block it would be fine. I haven't found it "impossible" tho, just riskier.

I got a bank expansion by level 45ish with in game gold, and I still have 400 gems. If you play regularly I'd say you'll be able to get 2-4k gems a month with gold without being starved for other stuff (there's karma for equipment too), maybe it'll get easier once the TP is up too. There's no nickel & diming going on guys, at least not yet.

Gritesh

I fear that the omission of the "holy trinity" will end up hurting the game in the long run, while it works for the most part I truly believe that part of an mmo's success is attributed to dungeons, especially at the end game level.

With no clear tanks or healers all dungeons will be delegated to a Zerg fest.
Also With lacking threat management and not being able to be an effective tank in the group melee dps is almost always screwed due to the fact that the boss will just turn on you at any given moment and mess you up.

In the end the unstructured over dungeon scenario will be the downfall of this game for me, however as of now in the leveling and exploration process Im really enjoying the game.

It's sad they really did a lot of things right here, just a few things that I feel while trying to differentiate from other mmos will end up driving mmo players back to that other game in the end.

Deitus

EDIT: nevermind, I'm guessing it was Maguuma Jungle. :)

I know that you can get a Spider in the Sylvari starting area. There might be other places to find one, but the place I found mine was at the top of the jumping puzzle at Morgan's Spiral.

Just find one color scheme and stick with it! www.instantrimshot.com

I was going to point that out, but I couldn't come up with a good enough joke. Well done sir.

Btw I support increasing the rewards for people who play a support role during events. There's no reason no to encourage that kind of play as it helps everyone. However, I do NOT think that just running around rezzing people for the duration of an event should result in the Gold contribution alone, as the XP rewards for doing so are already quite substantial and it would equate to rewarding more for doing that than actually completing the event objectives.

Agreed 100%. Everything you do to support the effort of completing an event should contribute to your participation rating, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should get gold for doing anything. Certainly different types of participation should be rewarded differently, and rewards external to the event should be considered as well.

The important part is that they don't create a system where people ask "How can I get gold participation?" and the answer is "Stop helping your team and do more DPS." That will be bad for the community, and bad for the type of group gameplay that they are encouraging.

JCizzle

Right. There should be a big attack every 5-10 sec you MUST avoid. Everything else should be tuned to be heal able via your self heal. Especially since you can only dodge twice.

I think if melee classes had a couple of rolls more, or random chance to block it would be fine. I haven't found it "impossible" tho, just riskier.

Well if you use a shield you get the block ability that pretty much completely stops 3 hits in a row. So you can build a defensive melee user, but for alot of the more DPS focused ones it's tougher.

I fear that the omission of the "holy trinity" will end up hurting the game in the long run, while it works for the most part I truly believe that part of an mmo's success is attributed to dungeons, especially at the end game level.

Also With lacking threat management and not being able to be an effective tank in the group melee dps is almost always screwed due to the fact that the boss will just turn on you at any given moment and mess you up.

In the end the unstructured over dungeon scenario will be the downfall of this game for me, however as of now in the leveling and exploration process Im really enjoying the game.

It's sad they really did a lot of things right here, just a few things that I feel while trying to differentiate from other mmos will end up driving mmo players back to that other game in the end.

Agreed on end game part, but I also feel that the main end game ANet is pushing for here is WvW. The advantage is, groups will be clearing end game in so many different ways. There won't be this ONE strat everybody has to follow to down the boss.

It will be interesting to see how it thrives. The advantage is, no monthly fees means, I can just come back to it whenever I want!

ttocs

Wait, hold up.

Rangers can't use rifles? The hunter class? Seriously?

Rangers are more earthy and in tune with the wilds. Think of them as more pro nature, wildlife, etc. Their bows are made from wood and they don't use machinery. They are one of the only classes (might be the only, not sure) who can use the longbow though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

The thing I've noticed is that, as a Necro, I tend to not pull the aggro much, even when I KNOW I'm doing crazy damage. I think there's some classes that are more apt to drawing aggro than others. From my world encounters and veteran hunting with friends, I get the impression that there is some sort of class role in place, but it's nearly invisible.

Self heals are only so strong, though - so I agree that something needs to be addressed about it. We all have a healing skill (at least I THINK every class does), and I feel like it needs to be buffed a bit or have the CD reduced or something in order to make healing through damage more viable. I don't think you should be able to heal forever, but I do think that you should stand a small chance when you get targeted for an extended period of time by the hard hitting enemies.

chiablo

Rangers are more earthy and in tune with the wilds. Think of them as more pro nature, wildlife, etc. Their bows are made from wood and they don't use machinery. They are one of the only classes (might be the only, not sure) who can use the longbow though.

I think the warrior can use a longbow.

Gritesh

My warrior uses a longbow, can't use short bows though

I'm seeing that there are events and dungeons that begin to rely heavily on personal responsibility in order to succeed (not getting out of the fire is fatal, not timing condition removal is fatal, etc.)

The game plays it very smart by giving each class certain support roles that are unique other than just standard healing and tanking - the Mesmer can cast Time Warp at just the right moment, for example, and a part of the fight that would need to be done quickly can now be much accomplished much easier.

EDIT:

Quick Lion's Arch Pano. Water blending is a bit weird, so I'm going to avoid being in water for future panoramas:

I have to say, currently some of their major PvE encounters are really, really poorly tuned. My server was attempting to open Arah and for all of ArenaNet's talk of not requiring specific classes/builds, you absolutely *need* someone who can strip boons (which is very, very rare) and you need as many people as possible bringing knockbacks/knockdowns for the Champion Eye in the event leading up to it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Send me 20 wool scraps and 4 silver and I can make you a 10 slot. Or if you want to be cheap 20 jute scraps and I can make you 8 slot ones.

Or take up armorsmithing and make them for copper or something like that. It's the EASIEST 8-slot set to get since you can gather copper.

Gritesh

The thing I've noticed is that, as a Necro, I tend to not pull the aggro much, even when I KNOW I'm doing crazy damage. I think there's some classes that are more apt to drawing aggro than others. From my world encounters and veteran hunting with friends, I get the impression that there is some sort of class role in place, but it's nearly invisible.

Self heals are only so strong, though - so I agree that something needs to be addressed about it. We all have a healing skill (at least I THINK every class does), and I feel like it needs to be buffed a bit or have the CD reduced or something in order to make healing through damage more viable. I don't think you should be able to heal forever, but I do think that you should stand a small chance when you get targeted for an extended period of time by the hard hitting enemies.

What I've noticed though is that the basics for the trinity are there, I mean there is even a Tanky line of traits for my warrior but it feels like they went out of their way to eliminate the actual role just to say there are no defined roles.

By reworking the talents in the traits the tank line could effectively become a tank, it will be interesting to see what ends up happening but I don't think they will go that route

It could work as in possible Tanky classes get a sigil that while active increases dodge/block/parry by 25%, in the tank trait line the 5 point trait could be something like "each successful attack increases threat generated by 40%" and then the 10 point trait could be "while equipping a shield reduces cool down on shield block by 50%" the 15 point trait could be something like "shield bash generates additional threat for 5 seconds" etc...,

I know that's goin back to the tested and true mentality but if it would allow for more longevity in the end game pve aspect in my opinion.

I wish I wasn't on my iPhone I would love to talk more about this but it's hard to hold a conversation on this thing.

Is it possible to downgrade from a CE beta account to a regular retail one? I assume I'd lose the bonus items, but I won't miss them.

And is there any distinction (digitally) between the DD edition or the CE?

zlatko

Banned
So I think I've settled on a race/class. I was swept up and immersed in a Human Guardian last night.

Nolan North is the voice actor? SOLD! Was also liking that this was the first class I made where the gear swaps I was getting(got a TON of drops) made me look more bad ass and was noticeable in what it did.

Story was cool so far too.

Question about GRD itself: How good is it in Pve and PvP? Not sure if it struggles or not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Send me 20 wool scraps and 4 silver and I can make you a 10 slot. Or if you want to be cheap 20 jute scraps and I can make you 8 slot ones.
I might just do that. Know where I can farm wool? I'm sure soon enough I'll be able to buy it on the TP (actually I think I was in the 15% and it was working perfectly for me last night), but I wouldn't mind just going to an area with that general goal in mind and spending some time there.

coopolon

I know this is probably the dumbest question asked in this thread so far, but how do you use waypoints? I run up to them and stand underneath them, mash f, try to double click, etc. and nothing happens. I feel like an idiot watching people teleport in and out.

Ferrio

Banned
I know this is probably the dumbest question asked in this thread so far, but how do you use waypoints? I run up to them and stand underneath them, mash f, try to double click, etc. and nothing happens. I feel like an idiot watching people teleport in and out.

Go to your map... click on them.

And yes it was, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom