• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I've noticed is that, as a Necro, I tend to not pull the aggro much, even when I KNOW I'm doing crazy damage. I think there's some classes that are more apt to drawing aggro than others. From my world encounters and veteran hunting with friends, I get the impression that there is some sort of class role in place, but it's nearly invisible.

Self heals are only so strong, though - so I agree that something needs to be addressed about it. We all have a healing skill (at least I THINK every class does), and I feel like it needs to be buffed a bit or have the CD reduced or something in order to make healing through damage more viable. I don't think you should be able to heal forever, but I do think that you should stand a small chance when you get targeted for an extended period of time by the hard hitting enemies.

Yeah, no matter WHAT I'm doing to enemies my pets pull aggro off me every time. It's unbelievably useful.

I did Warrior until 15 then switched to Guardian last night. I haven't tried any of the 'ranged' classes that also melee, in BWE's I tried Mesmer and Thief, they just weren't my style.

I'll probably have to give the Guardian more time, I thought they had a "Pull" but that was a misunderstanding on my part and it's situational. I never felt my ranged on my Warrior was equal to what I could do with my melee weapons. But maybe I just had a terrible weapon or something.

Try using a Greatsword on your Guardian for the close ability ( I think it is there, my wife plays one) and a Rifle on your Warrior. Rifles hit like a truck in PvE and are decent w/ the right skills in PvP (need Bola so you can actually connect with your hard hitting shots).

Longbows on Warriors are more group support/AE oriented ranged damage, you get a combo field option and radius damage. Rifles are straight bang-bang single target DPS.

mackattk

This rings true of many aspects of the game, fans of WoW forget that 7 years ago the game was significantly different than it is today, that game has undergone 7 years of growth and change, given time and proper support I would expect no different from GW2 in its own way.

Honestly I have tried every competitor to WoW since it's inception and this is the first time I feel something is close to giving it a run for its money I'm excited to see what happens next, for WoW, for GW2, and for mmos to come..

Regardless of how GW2 works out in the long run, I think it will have a lasting impact on the way mmos are designed and presente going forward

I totally remember vanilla wow. One good thing about not conforming with the holy trinity in GW2 is that anybody can fill a spot. I have not made it far enough to even think about going into a dungeon ( I am only ~16, I think), but hopefully it won't be too time consuming to find a group.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Everything I've seen so far has been a zerg fest. Everything. I expect that will smooth out over time. The fact is that the systems in this game are very deep and people haven't been playing it much.

This rings true of many aspects of the game, fans of WoW forget that 7 years ago the game was significantly different than it is today, that game has undergone 7 years of growth and change, given time and proper support I would expect no different from GW2 in its own way.

No, fans realize that. But they also know it doesn't matter - what matters is how the games play today.

GW2 is probably the first MMO that is good enough to take WoW of today head-on. TOR was good enough to take on WoW of, I don't know, 2009, but that's not good enough.

Z3M0G said:
Why hasn't an MMO simply charged for "play time" instead of per-month?

The truth is that people hate this form of payment, think of broadband caps. It's the same concept.

And, FWIW... APB tried it.

"Cooking is easily the most time and money intensive professions out of the six I have first-hand experience with. There's nothing free/easy about it-you need lots of ingredients, some are in completely random places w/ random recipes and ingredients on karma vendors. It's very much an 'advanced' craft IMO, and the game tells you as such."

Depends on if you follow a guide or not, if you do, it's actually by far the easiest because the materials are significantly easier and faster to acquire. For those that like to simply figure things out as they go, yeah, it's the trickiest.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cooking is easily the most time and money intensive professions out of the six I have first-hand experience with. There's nothing free/easy about it-you need lots of ingredients, some are in completely random places w/ random recipes and ingredients on karma vendors. It's very much an 'advanced' craft IMO, and the game tells you as such.

Reading this makes me go :(

Because it's the easiest yea

"Cooking sounds like a SUPER popular crafting option. I've got Artificer and Tailoring on my Necro, but leveling either is VERY slow. I'm tempted to drop one of them simply to grab cooking for easy XP and food buffs."

There's no reason not to do this.

But reading these makes me go :)

I'm not sure...I don't know if keeping one or the other crafting is worth it, but I feel conflicted now. Deciding which to drop is not easy...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Reminds me of the movie "In Time"... where people in the ghetto with very little time remaining to live at any given moment so they go through life always in a rush. MMO paid play time is much the same for me. I would do the same as you, but just the thought that I can put this fame down and pick it up at any time without worry of waisted time makes me enjoy playing even more. So much to just explore in the game.

Why hasn't an MMO simply charged for "play time" instead of per-month? That way you could put it down for 6 months and come back with 10 days of playtime hours still remaining. Id like ffxiv to try this, since I intend to play it and it is hard to imagine paying for it after playing this game.....

Many MMOs tried this in the mid 2000s, but most failed because people hate that kind of scheme.

"But reading these makes me go :)

I'm not sure...I don't know if keeping one or the other crafting is worth it, but I feel conflicted now. Deciding which to drop is not easy..."

You do not lose progress when you drop a profession (if you think about it, it would actually be SUPER exploity if they did. Craft a bunch, drop profession, pick it back up, craft a bunch, etc.) so just drop whichever and go back later.

Ferrio

Banned
Any good quick way to identify classes in WvWvW? I need to try and steal from Warriors exclusively.... that whirling axe skill is insane.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
"But reading these makes me go :)

I'm not sure...I don't know if keeping one or the other crafting is worth it, but I feel conflicted now. Deciding which to drop is not easy..."

You do not lose progress when you drop a profession (if you think about it, it would actually be SUPER exploity if they did. Craft a bunch, drop profession, pick it back up, craft a bunch, etc.) so just drop whichever and go back later.

That's true - I keep forgetting about that, haha. I guess I'm going to start cooking tonight!

Oh, and where the HELL are extra bank slots in the gem store? I want to expand my bank!

Depends on if you follow a guide or not, if you do, it's actually by far the easiest because the materials are significantly easier and faster to acquire. For those that like to simply figure things out as they go, yeah, it's the trickiest.

This is a good point, and as long as the TP is down then as long as you don't mind some trips to the boonies, you will be able to level OK in cooking with a guide to tell you what vegetables (and in what quantities) to harvest and where to harvest from and not be gated by rare craft materials (though those can also be farmed easily IMO).

I like to plug stuff in and figure it out as I go along, which has been super frustrating with cooking.

Absinthe

With all the hacking talk a few pages back I realized one thing they could put in place to stop this. Just let me select a region to connect from and only allow IP's within that region. If I live in a certain state, and am not traveling, only allow IP addresses from my state. Easy fix to a complex problem.

Here's a quick pano, although I just noticed I'm still sleeping in the bottom left, derp. I want to try more vertical shots next. I'd pay real money, to get a damn first-person view.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7803241/gw574_stitch_t.jpg[/IMG
[/QUOTE]

Looks good man. I would pay money for a first person view though.

Zafir

I always hate bring up other MMO's (especially WOW) into this, but it would be really nice if arenanet implemented a dungeon finder to be able to queue up.
It's not even just that, you can finally get a full group, and then spend ages trying to get everyone into the same dungeon instance. Similar problem to the overflow issue.

Can't remember an mmo where I've had so much trouble trying to play with friends!

Dash27

Wrong exploit. That one was fixed fast. Tier 2 hoelbrak yellows for 21 karma was up for half a day though.

That was working as of last night, but yeah you're right that was Ebonhawk I was thinking of. Hoelbrak was far worse I'm glad they fixed it. People were buying a ton of them and Mystic Forging them into higher level exotics.

That one they really should roll back.

My new alt:

gw008fbsyj.jpg

Feels like my Engineer has a bigger skill delay then my Elementalist for some reason. When I'm auto attacking on my Ele and I use a skill, the skill goes off right away. If I'm auto attacking on my Engineer and I use a skill, it finishes the auto attack before the skill goes off. Maybe it's the zone or the overflow server or something.

"This is a good point, and as long as the TP is down then as long as you don't mind some trips to the boonies, you will be able to level OK in cooking with a guide to tell you what vegetables (and in what quantities) to harvest and where to harvest from and not be gated by rare craft materials (though those can also be farmed easily IMO)."

Yep. The main reason why it's so easy is precisely because it requires very few harvested materials at all, the materials are all largely acquired from renown heart vendors, only like 40 materials from later level zones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That was working as of last night, but yeah you're right that was Ebonhawk I was thinking of. Hoelbrak was far worse I'm glad they fixed it. People were buying a ton of them and Mystic Forging them into higher level exotics.

That one they really should roll back.

I hope they do something about this...It's really disappointing that people are exploiting stuff like this to the degree they are.

MartyStu

I understand, what I think would have worked better for them in the end would have been to make each class viable and equal at all three roles but in a unique aspect to each class

No class would be a pure dps or healer or tank all would be viable and equal at each mechanic bit in their own unique way

This is just my two cents, like I said I'm loving the game right now I just foresee this as an issue in the coming weeks/months when players are looking for that longevity out of the game.

I am not sure how much it differs in this game, but aggro in the original game was not based 'threat' but more on maximizing damage.

The AI would prioritize squishy, low hp targets. So often the name of the game was to have tanks hold aggro and make sure that mobs did not get in range of the more vulnerable party members.

That would actually explain why Necros are so lowly prioritized: they have the second highest health pool in the game.

Kunan

Cooking is easily the most time and money intensive professions out of the six I have first-hand experience with. There's nothing free/easy about it-you need lots of ingredients, some are in completely random places w/ random recipes and ingredients on karma vendors. It's very much an 'advanced' craft IMO, and the game tells you as such.
But in the end it is worth it due to 1. The buffs are always helpful, whereas many professions' crafted items end up useless later and 2. The huge variety makes it much more entertaining.

I am not sure how much it differs in this game, but aggro in the original game was not based 'threat' but more on maximizing damage.

The AI would prioritize squishy, low hp targets. So often the name of the game was to have tanks hold aggro and make sure that mobs did not get in range of the more vulnerable party members.

That would actually explain why Necros are so lowly prioritized: they have the second highest health pool in the game.

When I party with a Necro, sometimes the mob will come and attack me (Thief) while the Necro is fighting it, even if I'm not doing anything at all (e.g. managing inventory). I thought that was kind of strange but I guess this explains it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Btw, I forgot to mention in here, last night I realized that SLI was disabled on my machine, probably as a result of a settings reset when upgrading drivers. Had it off the entire headstart period. Pretty weird. Turned it back on and got an immediately 10+ frame boost to my minimum and maximum FPS. Feels goood.

Try using a Greatsword on your Guardian for the close ability ( I think it is there, my wife plays one) and a Rifle on your Warrior. Rifles hit like a truck in PvE and are decent w/ the right skills in PvP (need Bola so you can actually connect with your hard hitting shots).

Longbows on Warriors are more group support/AE oriented ranged damage, you get a combo field option and radius damage. Rifles are straight bang-bang single target DPS.

Must have had a crappy rifle then! Also, what are good ranged options for the Guardian? I've yet to get him high enough to really take any advantage in WvW yet and Greatsword (after using it with the Warrior) was the first thing I bought my GRD!

Thanks for the tips BTW.

"Thanks. But about how much silver does this cost to buy all the mats yourself to skill up? Is it viable for someone's first character who doesn't have any money?"

I dunno about that one exactly, but maybe about a gold or a little more. Definitely plausible for someone's first character.

Ferrio

Banned
Haha ok then I'm missing something because I'm level 25 at chef and I can't combine the salt with peppercorns

Have you done it before?

If so you, you're only able to discover something once. After that you craft it through your recipe menu.

Must have had a crappy rifle then! Also, what are good ranged options for the Guardian? I've yet to get him high enough to really take any advantage in WvW yet and Greatsword (after using it with the Warrior) was the first thing I bought my GRD!

Thanks for the tips BTW.

I think I have a pretty good rifle for my level (21) and I also think the damage is meh.

I went with the grenade engineer based on Teknopathetic's post a while back and haven't really looked back. I've tried rifles and pistols + off-hand but they don't compare. The grenade kit damage is actually kind of OP. I'm doing monstrous damage, and it's not a case of them only being good for AoE, I do more damage than any other weaps I've tried vs. single mobs as well, which is why I think nades might be OP (or the other ones not strong enough). Also the AoE circles are huge so it's super easy to be accurate with them.

A couple other weird engineer kits I've tried (best class ever btw, so much variety):

- Elixer Gun kit. Same as the rifle it doesn't do enough damage. The #5 skill is great tho, it's an AoE circle called Super Elixer that does a bunch of things, including life regen. Pretty fun kit, I like the poison flamethrower skill. But overall just doesn't compare to grenades

- "Tool kit", this is the wrench kit. This was really cool. I've been using all ranged weapons and then I put this on and am doing pretty huge damage with a wrench at close range... totally different play style. The #1 skill does huge damage. The #2 skill that gives a debuff (bleed) and throws nails has too long of an animation and is just not a good skill. The #3 melee attack with the crow bar that gives the enemy confuse is a good one. The #5 magnet skill that sucks the enemies towards you has a too long animation as well. This kit had a lot of potential and could have been really fun and maybe it still is later on, especially if you combo it with turrets (the #1 melee attack repairs turrets) but when like 2/5 of the skills sort of suck it's just a shame.

eek5

Yeah, no matter WHAT I'm doing to enemies my pets pull aggro off me every time. It's unbelievably useful.

Seed turret will pull aggro over EVERYTHING it seems. I like to drop it when running away. I manage to escape almost every time because they stop to attack the turret :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom