• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Audίoboxer;41576309 said:
Does the Guardian get any traits to help out with long range damage?

20% cooldown on 2handed weapons (for staff) in the healing line and increased critical chance for 1 handed weapons (for scepter) in the precision line.

Outside of that, eh.

ttocs

Given enough time, perhaps they will. WoW didn't start with one either.

It was a bitch to find a group for a dungeon in vanilla wow. It took a lot of time before you got rolling and someone quitting was devastating since you needed to find someone else now after waiting around for so long. I'm sure we'll see it.

ksimm

GuildWars2
We're aware of the login problems in EU and they're on it–thanks for your patience. ~RB2

Hah, so are we since launch... ;/

Edit: and as I say that the login now works *mMmmM crow*

Is there an option so that when you hover over someone in guild panel it shows character/level? Right now when I hover over it just shows there ID and offline/online.

Alright so I gave Guardian another shot. I like it now.

Time to give Engineer a chance. Then I'll have my (hopefully) set of 5 characters. Though since 3 will be Human I might have to delete yet another one.

Moonkeis

Do they post patch notes anywhere on the website? If they do, I don't see it. I'm assuming it would be on the forums if it wasn't down.

Also, is leveling this easy even at 30+? I just run around picking up event quest, etc. and just rack on experience, it seems too good to be true.

inky

1R5FT.png

V9Wxt.jpg

Godammit, fucking server restarts don't let me get my Exp achievement in peace.

Gritesh

Given enough time, perhaps they will. WoW didn't start with one either.
This rings true of many aspects of the game, fans of WoW forget that 7 years ago the game was significantly different than it is today, that game has undergone 7 years of growth and change, given time and proper support I would expect no different from GW2 in its own way.

Honestly I have tried every competitor to WoW since it's inception and this is the first time I feel something is close to giving it a run for its money I'm excited to see what happens next, for WoW, for GW2, and for mmos to come..

Regardless of how GW2 works out in the long run, I think it will have a lasting impact on the way mmos are designed and presente going forward

Man, really starting to question my melee preference. It seems ranged have it the best in WvW, sPVP, and PVE. I mean of course there are "situations" that can make it stand out but for the most part I'm really seeing ranged classes as the dominant preference for any style of play in this game.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

zlatko

Banned
This rings true of many aspects of the game, fans of WoW forget that 7 years ago the game was significantly different than it is today, that game has undergone 7 years of growth and change, given time and proper support I would expect no different from GW2 in its own way.

Honestly I have tried every competitor to WoW since it's inception and this is the first time I feel something is close to giving it a run for its money I'm excited to see what happens next, for WoW, for GW2, and for mmos to come..

Regardless of how GW2 works out in the long run, I think it will have a lasting impact on the way mmos are designed and presente going forward

The game I measure every other MMO against is FFXI. Do I feel GW2 has the stuff to compete with that in my book? Yes. A lot of what I loved about XI is present here, and will definitely keep my interest till FFXIV 2.0, or the new FFXI expansion.

Ferrio

Banned
Do they post patch notes anywhere on the website? If they do, I don't see it. I'm assuming it would be on the forums if it wasn't down.

Also, is leveling this easy even at 30+? I just run around picking up event quest, etc. and just rack on experience, it seems too good to be true.

There's suppose to be little to no curve to leveling.

Is there any actual benefit of leveling up in PVE?

Skill points, karma vendors... the experience?

ShaneB

Shadow Behemoth spawned last night, and was fighting him. Got his health down so low, I couldn't even see the remainder of his health bar. Then my game crashed. Story of MY life.

Man, you have got to get this fucked bud :( On Mumble I know who you are because your game crashes so much. lol

FinKL

Guess I'm out of luck in joining Stormbluff.

Do the servers fluctuate in population often? Maybe it will read "High" a couple hours from now, idk.

Also, I queued up for WvW at 5:30pm yesterday to try and make the WvW tour, but I think an hour later, I had still not entered...

"Is there any actual benefit of leveling up in PVE? PVP and WvW autolevels you right?"

WvW scales you up to a level 80 but you still won't have the skills or stats of a level 80 in exotics.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do the servers fluctuate in population often? Maybe it will read "High" a couple hours from now, idk.

Also, I queued up for WvW at 5:30pm yesterday to try and make the WvW tour, but I think an hour later, I had still not entered...
We may try going to the losing team's Borderlands next time because it seemed like people were able to get in there much faster.

"Is there any actual benefit of leveling up in PVE? PVP and WvW autolevels you right?"

WvW scales you up to a level 80 but you still won't have the skills or stats of a level 80 in exotics.

Oh. In which case I'm fucked. I've been playing since the 26th and still haven't broken level 20 because I kept trying out new race/class combinations. Its gonna take forever for me to get to level 80 with a single character, let alone 5.

Once you hit 30, the curve flattens, and it should take on average 90 minutes per level, depending on how involved you get, how many xp booster types you quaff, etc.

EDIT: New Page!

Here's a quick pano, although I just noticed I'm still sleeping in the bottom left, derp. I want to try more vertical shots next. I'd pay real money, to get a damn first-person view.

gw574_stitch_t.jpg

(9216 x 2182) 2.20MB

"Engineers can do it too. (Just not on command since it's RNG what spell effect a thrown Elixir U creates) :p"

The encounter is not lenient enough to even mention the possibility of getting an RNG condition removal. You have to complete it under a time limit.

zlatko

Banned
Oh. In which case I'm fucked. I've been playing since the 26th and still haven't broken level 20 because I kept trying out new race/class combinations. Its gonna take forever for me to get to level 80 with a single character, let alone 5.

I've been playing since Sunday, and still haven't made it past level 10. :p

Man, really starting to question my melee preference. It seems ranged have it the best in WvW, sPVP, and PVE. I mean of course there are "situations" that can make it stand out but for the most part I'm really seeing ranged classes as the dominant preference for any style of play in this game.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

What class are you playing? Almost every class has a real and mostly viable ranged option if you want to explore that route. Only Guardians are kind of behind in that regard, and that's mostly OK for now because the tradeoff is feasting on the heartspammer Thiefs and glass cannon HB warriors.

I went from level 52 to 55 this morning by just applying a Crafting Booster I got from a Black Lion Chest and raising my cooking up from 180 to 280. Tailoring isn't nearly as easy to level up and it's annoying because I outlevel all the gear from Tailoring by the time I get around to farming / acquiring all the necessary material to inch it up to the next tier.

zlatko

Banned
Hmm so cooking actually has some use with that +10% XP gain.

Lets be bros. We can both never level together.

It can never be! I found my love with Human Guardian last night. He looks bad ass, was fun to play, and the story was super enjoyable.

Fingers crossed I'll stick with it. Glad GAF suggested it here in this thread so much to try the class.

Just not sure how good they are in PvP/WvW, and dungeons for PvE.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cooking sounds like a SUPER popular crafting option. I've got Artificer and Tailoring on my Necro, but leveling either is VERY slow. I'm tempted to drop one of them simply to grab cooking for easy XP and food buffs.

What class are you playing? Almost every class has a real and mostly viable ranged option if you want to explore that route. Only Guardians are kind of behind in that regard, and that's mostly OK for now because the tradeoff is feasting on the heartspammer Thiefs and glass cannon HB warriors.

I did Warrior until 15 then switched to Guardian last night. I haven't tried any of the 'ranged' classes that also melee, in BWE's I tried Mesmer and Thief, they just weren't my style.

I'll probably have to give the Guardian more time, I thought they had a "Pull" but that was a misunderstanding on my part and it's situational. I never felt my ranged on my Warrior was equal to what I could do with my melee weapons. But maybe I just had a terrible weapon or something.

I really like the GRD gameplay so far though, just feels like I have to sit back whenever I fight a boss or am in WvW.

"Cooking sounds like a SUPER popular crafting option. I've got Artificer and Tailoring on my Necro, but leveling either is VERY slow. I'm tempted to drop one of them simply to grab cooking for easy XP and food buffs."

There's no reason not to do this.

Z3M0G

While I agree that GW 2 mixes things up a bit I still agree with the others you quoted that there are great similarities to other MMOs. Yet, this is no problem for me, as I am fine with the formula, especially with all the welcome additions and refinements.

However, the one thing I truly appreciate is the lack of a monthly subscription fee, which for me is the game changer. I usually tried to be done with an mmo (post-WoW) within the free period or perhaps after 1 month. This added constant stress and hectic. The end became the goal instead of the journey. I feel none of this in guild wars 2 and this makes the game so very relaxing and fun to play!

Reminds me of the movie "In Time"... where people in the ghetto with very little time remaining to live at any given moment so they go through life always in a rush. MMO paid play time is much the same for me. I would do the same as you, but just the thought that I can put this fame down and pick it up at any time without worry of waisted time makes me enjoy playing even more. So much to just explore in the game.

Why hasn't an MMO simply charged for "play time" instead of per-month? That way you could put it down for 6 months and come back with 10 days of playtime hours still remaining. Id like ffxiv to try this, since I intend to play it and it is hard to imagine paying for it after playing this game.....

Izayoi

Banned
I can already see problems with the way some of the skill points are set up. Impossible to even get to the one in Ascalon City solo, let alone complete it. It's going to really suck when the low level areas have even less people in them, getting 100% is going to be a bitch.

Cooking sounds like a SUPER popular crafting option. I've got Artificer and Tailoring on my Necro, but leveling either is VERY slow. I'm tempted to drop one of them simply to grab cooking for easy XP and food buffs.

Cooking is easily the most time and money intensive professions out of the six I have first-hand experience with. There's nothing free/easy about it-you need lots of ingredients, some are in completely random places w/ random recipes and ingredients on karma vendors. It's very much an 'advanced' craft IMO, and the game tells you as such.

ttocs

Cooking just doesn't seem like a good profession for a first character. That's why I skipped it for the time being. I'll pick it up with an alt down the road.

Why hasn't an MMO simply charged for "play time" instead of per-month?

A few tried it, it wasn't successful. Also, they'd make less money. By getting you to pay X amount up front, for a month, they win, because it's unlikely you'll play 24/7 for the entire month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom