• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never played guild wars, played a little of WoW, played SWTOR till level 30, played Rift to level 40. I usually lean towards healer/support characters, but mainly healer type classes. So for GW2, which class/race would be best if I traditionally like more healer type classes?

sadly enough, healing is... something everyone can do... really shitty.

elementalist has some great support skills. So does guardian.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
just did. holy shit, you mow shit dddooooown. And so much colors and shit.

but you know what? the greatsword you buy from vendors is the most shitty looking pos ever.

Spin to win! GG.

They start looking cooler later in the game.

Ferrio

Banned
So playing around with traits some more.. I think concentrate stuff on being slippery as possible in WvWvW as my thief. Then my gear will have all the damage+crit stuff to make up for the durability traits I'm going into.

Think a straight up glass cannon would be better in sPvP though. Run speed and such doesn't seem as important.

I decided to retry Necromancer and am so glad I did. I love their skill sets. At first I didn't -get- their unique skill that used the Lifeforce energy, but now I see it as a second health bar. Pretty neat stuff.

I decided to go with Tailoring and Jewelry. Tailoring will be done until I make most of those extra slot bags and items. Then if I want to, I can get rid of it for Cooking.

putarorex

I've been talking to random npcs for lore. There is a surprising number that have a story to tell. I've met one so far that sold boons for karma after I used ferocity (I've maxed it out). The npc didn't have any symbol on it. Another reason to explore the game. :)

Kingbrave

Man.

Fuck Arenanet.

I haven't clicked a god damn phising e-mail or anything.

I played WoW for 10 god damn years without being hacked without an authenticator.

If my character is gone, I'm done.

I've actually got a ton of the password reset emails but they aren't to my actual anet login.

Achtius

So playing around with traits some more.. I think concentrate stuff on being slippery as possible in WvWvW as my thief. Then my gear will have all the damage+crit stuff to make up for the durability traits I'm going into.

Think a straight up glass cannon would be better in sPvP though. Run speed and such doesn't seem as important.

I max out the toughness trait on my ranger. I think I am going to get some equipment with Power now.. my power is abysmal... lol

Ferrio

Banned
After getting one of those emails i changed my password to some god awful long thing, probably my most secure PW yet.

I max out toughness on my ranger. I think I am going to put some into Power now.. I got like abysmal power.. lol

Well all the slipperyness stuff for thief are in the vit/durability/healing/boon duration trees. Isn't like I wanted those stats persay... but I wanted stuff like swifness on evade, remove cripple/weakness on evade, regain endurance on evade, increased stealth speed, longer stealth etc. Just stuff to make it nearly impossible to lock me down.

My precision and stuff is still high enough that when I catch my targets I wreck them pretty hard.

Spin to win! GG.

They start looking cooler later in the game.

yeah. it's crazy. While i'm doing crazy finger gymnastics for my ele mage, Guardians been pretty chill... and can take some hits. Not too sure how they factor into group stuff or strong/boss types.

Sword and shield is surprisingly meh though. Weird.

Trey

Never played guild wars, played a little of WoW, played SWTOR till level 30, played Rift to level 40. I usually lean towards healer/support characters, but mainly healer type classes. So for GW2, which class/race would be best if I traditionally like more healer type classes?

There is no dedicated healer. The class with the most support options is the guardian.

inky

After getting one of those emails i changed my password to some god awful long thing, probably my most secure PW yet.

I've resorted to using my ISP mail service and get a different address for each game/service. I think all my accounts are pretty secure but it's a bitch to keep track of them.

zlatko

Banned
Speaking of emails and getting hacked I'm nervous about something.

When you go to log in for the game, everytime since I got the game it tells me it has sent an email to my email of "x" to have me verify the account. When I follow the link from my email it won't verify it.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh I tried already changing it to a different email I have to see if the link works out there and two different browsers. No dice.

oneils

Hold on. Are people getting emails from Anet asking them to reset their password? Did you initiate the reset? If not, you should not follow any links found in the email. You should go directly to the website to change your password.

DirtyLary

I'm really trying to like it.

But damn the wPVP is nothing but zerging. (Like any other mmo out).

I think the damage is to low in this game. Even fights go forever with the dodging and selfheals. Everything comes down big zerg > little zerg in the end. I'm kind missing the big damages wow bursting has which would give a smaller group that chance to beat larger numbers.

How long are people going to really continue playing this roaming zerg of swapping castle nodes once the AHH factor of a new game wears off?

I don't know, I was hoping for the 2nd coming of DAOC. This isn't it, right now.

What do you think of the wpvp?

Macattk15

Hold on. Are people getting emails from Anet asking them to reset their password? Did you initiate the reset? If not, you should not follow any links found in the email. You should go directly to the website to change your password.

I received an email at 5:13am saying someone "hopefully you" has requested a e-mail change.

And now I can't login.

I've clicked nothing on any e-mail ever. I'm not retarded. As I said ... played WoW and D3 without being hacked without an authenticator.

My e-mail address and GW 2 accounts have different passwords ...

I've e-mailed ANet ... god knows how long I will have to wait. This is some shit.

Absinthe

Man.

Fuck Arenanet.

I played WoW for 10 god damn years without being hacked without an authenticator.

That totally sucks.

Did you use the same password as any other accounts? Or the same email/password combination as any other accounts? Or an easy password to guess?

Could be any number of things. I am dreading this right now, so I went in and adjusted my password to a brand new password I have never used.

I stated earlier in the thread, one way to solve this would be to limit access based on region/IP location. Hell, if they wanted, even limit it by IP if you have the luxury of a static.

zlatko

Banned
too many guardians in the game though :(

Tis a fun class. I wish, like I've said before, this game had a hand to hand class as I would've just auto rolled that.

I may try out Ranger later on too as a Sylvari as I have not yet to play their starting area and unfolded their story. The female ones oddly enough to me look better than males, and I never roll females in MMOs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
sadly enough, healing is... something everyone can do... really shitty.

elementalist has some great support skills. So does guardian.

Yeah, it sucks so much that any group make up can get through a dungeon. :p

dorkimoe

WvW is fun until you are on my server where you are bugged and up against the highest populated server there is and its just you getting steamrolled.
Thief is ok so far...the skills are fun but i just run in a circle and shoot bullets. I feel like Im worthless in pvp

Ferrio

Banned

I went directly through the site. Not stupid.

WvW is fun until you are on my server where you are bugged and up against the highest populated server there is and its just you getting steamrolled.
Thief is ok so far...the skills are fun but i just run in a circle and shoot bullets. I feel like Im worthless in pvp

Their damage at range is lackluster (overall melee is stronger than range in this game by principle I believe), if you want to pull shit off you need to get in the thick of things... or bring them to you atleast.

Ferny

Man.

Fuck Arenanet.

Sucks you got potentially hacked but tell me again...how is that ANet's fault?

etiolate

Banned
If you're getting authentication notices from someone logging in from China, just ignore the email and let ANet handle it, correct? I can't find the post where they went over this.

Macattk15

That totally sucks.

Did you use the same password as any other accounts? Or the same email/password combination as any other accounts? Or an easy password to guess?

Could be any number of things. I am dreading this right now, so I went in and adjusted my password to a brand new password I have never used.

I stated earlier in the thread, one way to solve this would be to limit access based on region/IP location. Hell, if they wanted, even limit it by IP if you have the luxury of a static.

Nope. All my passwords are different for every online game I play.

Which is really just LoL, D3, and GW2 currently. I have them physically written down and nowhere on my computer.

Some bullshit system Arenanet has in place if they can easily change your e-mail like this.

Sucks you got potentially hacked but tell me again...how is that ANets fault?

Uh because they have a fucking stupid system where you don't even need a confirmation e-mail sent from the ACTUAL REGISTERED address to have the e-mail changed?

I JUST ran Spybot. Nothing found. I've clicked no links. I'm 29 years old, I'm not a naive child. My password was 11 characters long with a mix of numbers and capital letters.

Take your passive aggressive White Knight Arenanet tone elsewhere. TONS of people are bitching about this on various forums.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
which just means dungeons are EASY :p

Can't believe some people have super high lvl dudes already. I just can't seem to decide on 1 class.

They all have cool bits but some not cool bits. :S

Dungeons are easy? have you DONE Ascalonion Catacombs?

FinKL

I've been trying to "Authenticate" my e-mail since headstart period, but everytime I click on my e-mail I get an invalid/expired link. Should I be scared??? I just thought it was server overload and it'll fix itself over time.

zlatko

Banned
Sucks you got potentially hacked but tell me again...how is that ANet's fault?

Yeah not to come down on you, but it is ANet's fault for not having better password protection protocols in place. Lack of authenticator system's these days is a bit mind boggling.

I doubt he had a weak password, or did something to incite the attack.

zlatko

Banned
I've been trying to "Authenticate" my e-mail since headstart period, but everytime I click on my e-mail I get an invalid/expired link. Should I be scared??? I just thought it was server overload and it'll fix itself over time.

I said the exact same thing on the last page and was curious too. We are in the same boat it seems.

Not sure what the root problem to this or the solution is, but like my post mentioned I tried changing the email its sent to and browsers used to follow the URL link, and nothing. Not sure if this is giving my account a big gaping safety hole for hackers or not.

thetrin

It feels like I'm leveling super slow for some reason. Though it might just be me (level 19).

What are you doing to level? Some things are slower than others. Events are the best combat PvE way to level.

etiolate

Banned

I think that is server overload or that the system is not currently up. It's intended to start opening up on Thursday.

I found the reddit, so I am reposting it on this page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z1poz/guild_wars_2_status_wednesday_august_29/

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.
Email authentication - Email authentication is a feature that notifies you if someone tries to log into your account from a location you've never logged in from before. Thus, even if someone guesses your game password, he can't log in unless he also guesses your email account password. You can make email authentication even more secure by using an email provider that supports two-factor authentication, such as Google or Yahoo, and taking advantage of that. We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.

In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.
Edit: The fact that in-game mail is disabled means that it's currently impossible for account hackers to loot stolen accounts, so we're going to leave it disabled for just a little while longer, while we work to ramp up email authentication.

oneils

I received an email at 5:13am saying someone "hopefully you" has requested a e-mail change.

And now I can't login.

I've clicked nothing on any e-mail ever. I'm not retarded. As I said ... played WoW and D3 without being hacked without an authenticator.

My e-mail address and GW 2 accounts have different passwords ...

I've e-mailed ANet ... god knows how long I will have to wait. This is some shit.

I'm not trying to condescend or call people "stupid" or "retarded." Just trying to help out here. Sounds like you got hacked. Sorry to hear that.

As for ferrio, I find it really weird that he got an email asking to reset his password when he did not initiate it. I guess there was a hacking attempt on his account. Don't know enough to be anymore helpful.

Absinthe

Nope. All my passwords are different for every online game I play.

Which is really just LoL, D3, and GW2 currently. I have them physically written down and nowhere on my computer.

Some bullshit system Arenanet has in place if they can easily change your e-mail like this.

Damn dude.. I would be pissed too.

What do you mean by easily change your email? Wouldn't they need the password to change the email account?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Known issue, they are working on it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not trying to condescend or call people "stupid" or "retarded." Just trying to help out here. Sounds like you got hacked. Sorry to hear that.

As for ferrio, I find it really weird that he got an email asking to reset his password when he did not initiate it. I guess there was a hacking attempt on his account. Don't know enough to be anymore helpful.

Tons of people have gotton those emails, lots from this forum too.

edit: Hrm, looks like they're being proactive about it. Sad about services being down because of it though :(

Ferny

Yeah not to come down on you, but it is ANet's fault for not having better password protection protocols in place. Lack of authenticator system's these days is a bit mind boggling.

I doubt he had a weak password, or did something to incite the attack.
You never do know these days. The number one way to protect yourself is to make a strong password for sure. Not saying he didn't.

DirtyLary

That's all you do in wpvp zerging. Range spam

Ashodin

You never do know these days. The number one way to protect yourself is to make a strong password for sure. Not saying he didn't.

This is entirely accurate. You must make a strong password, if you don't, you're only making it easier for them.

Engineer rifle actually does a ton of damage by itself. Jump shot does a *ton* of damage and so does Blunderbuss and Overcharged shot. Add that with the grenade toolbelt ability and maybe switch to grenades afterwards (especially when you have the third grenade trait) and yeah, a ton of burst damage. Don't neglect Jump Shot, it is not a GTFO skill, it is a blow-someone-the-fuck-up skill.

I'll try Jump Shot more but yeah I've had the rifle equipped the whole time but I just use the grenade kit. To me it seems just spamming grenades, 1, 2, 3 (well I usually skip 3), 4, 5 kills everything faster than the other weaps and kits. You also get a little CC with the ice grenade. And the range for all the nades is so big making any kiting you have to do very easy. Also the huge circles. Idk man...

@Heavy - Damn, making the engineer sound like a lot of fun!
It's a ton of fun. Along with the Elixer Gun kit, Tool (wrench) kit, and Grenade kit that I mentioned... there's also Flamethrower kit and Bomb kit (like Bomberman). All these kits aren't like simple weaps you equip with a couple skills, you get FIVE full new skills + the special F2 on your bar just like a regular weapon for each one of these kits, it's awesome. Did I mention they have a full assortment of turrets as well...

I feel like this is the class is the safest bet for someone wanting a fun one 90% chance you'll find a build you like since there's so much variety.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
60 hours in and I'm having a blast.

Skritt voice overs are great.

rBpfq.jpg

zY7J3.jpg

4srAb.jpg

How does one work on their swagger?

qztmu.jpg

orbIO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom