• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sucks about all of this log in nonsense with hackers and passwords is that I thought mine was too easy so I went onto the site to change it and thought I did (even said so at the top of the screen) logged out to log in with the new one to confirm and it doesn't work and neither does my old one. 10 minutes later they officialy say the service is down. Put a ticket in right away and still no response.
Really want to say they are doing a good job with this but I can't because I've delt with Blizzard when I had account trouble and I got to them on the phone and got it sorted out in under an hour.
If you want to play with the big boys you might want to have the right equipment. (that last comment was salty but I want to play damn it!)

I got no sympathy for people who cheat or exploit. Online services are not a democracy. If you want to steal from the king, you can't complain when you get caught, even if the king did leave his vault unlocked.

That's an interesting analogy. But as a bunch of others have said, find it stupid that bitters get 72 and buyers of misprinted karma weapons get perma'd

+ my wife leaves me at level 11 with only one character.

I love that I'm not feeling forced to play more due to a sub fee.

Thanks for making me feel less pitiful for not having a single character over level 10. :) Indeed, what time I have to play the game has mostly gone away working on the gamepad control stuff. Plus I'm an altoholic.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Loving the ban outrage. I kind of hope ArenaNet publicly shames some of the ones who bought thousands of items.

K.Sabot

I agree with you but I am merely pointing out the alternatives. I have my own criticism regarding the game yet it's all going to be lost at sea if I even bother attempting to write it up.

The only valuable solution is to wait. Collect what you need and if the bank becomes full then place the extra materials on a bogus character outfitted with 8 slot bags. There are solutions to the problem but the only thing that everyone can do right now is wait it up.

As I said, I'd rather ArenaNet iron out the kinks now than suffer at the prospect of losing the materials I buy/sell and/or losing the money using/receiving.

What I'm saying is that the longer ArenaNet takes to get the market flowing, the bigger the glut of items that floods the market, which will destroy the value of the items.

I would have rather had ArenaNet release a finished game. Not something I expected from a company I respected so much.

KingKong

By exploiters, do they mean bots/macros?

I don't think it's fair to ban people for buying for karma and selling for gold or for getting xp from that event, that was just entirely ingame. Maybe set them back 10 levels or take a chunk of their karma/gold but it doesnt warrant a ban

Ferrio

Banned
By exploiters, do they mean bots/macros?

I don't think it's fair to ban people for buying for karma and selling for gold or for getting xp from that event, that was just entirely ingame. Maybe set them back 10 levels or take a chunk of their karma/gold but it doesnt warrant a ban

The items were 21 karma... instead of like 21000 or something like they were suppose to be. These are power gamers, they KNOW it was a fuck up.. they aren't stupid.

Why does Reddit have massive Arenanet presence, but we gaffers get left in the cold?

There is no justice in this world.

We got some in the guild....

Fought the Shatterer today. That was awesome!

icwj9jhVsTeVM.jpg

Vodh

Botters still make money at the same rate (if not less) than anyone else. This was waaaaaay beyond that.

True, the impact of a single botter on the economy would have been much smaller than the impact of a person who bought a thousand of those weapons.

I wonder if they do a rollback - I expect and hope they will. Honestly, I'm actually happy I got caught, because it's refreshing to see a company that actually gives a shit and works to keep the game from being destroyed in such a way.

foladar

If people who were botting are getting 72H bans and people who bought items that were put in the game by the devs are getting perma-banned this IS pretty odd. The botters should also be perma banned in that case.

+1

Botters get 3 days, people taking advantage of ArenaNet's typo perma banned? Really? Wow.

Fwiw that same Reddit post said they're opening trading post to ~25% of the population today and increasing it gradually, so maybe 50% tomorrow, and permanently opened by Monday? ugh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What I'm saying is that the longer ArenaNet takes to get the market flowing, the bigger the glut of items that floods the market, which will destroy the value of the items.

I would have rather had ArenaNet release a finished game. Not something I expected from a company I respected so much.

There is going to be an inevitable market hiccup over the next fortnight, but I'm hoping that things stabilize to normal and far more interesting levels within a few months.

And yeah, I'd love to play a finished product. By all accounts the BWE's and the latter stress tests were close to a finished product. But we all know things are going a bit haywire in Seattle. Then you've got Mike O'Brien talking about halting the digital sales of GW2 because the popularity might be a bit too much for them to handle.

Why does Reddit have massive Arenanet presence, but we gaffers get left in the cold?

There is no justice in this world.

I know it's a joke but there are 50,000+ subscribed to that single subreddit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol

And they didn't think there would be consequences? What a bunch of idiots.

It's funny when they are trying to defend it by saying they were playing smart by doing that and they are just punishing smart players.

Man you are so stupid, if you WERE SMART you would of known you were gonna get screwed.

I just changed my account email after several hacker attempts to reset my password, and was finally able to verify it from the notification email. Yay.

(being gmail, you can stick a dot anywhere and it treats it like a different email)

How did they exploit? Did they use a 3rd party tool? Or did Areanet just miss something and are covering their asses with the "exploit" excuse.

Banned for inept arenanet quality assurance is more accurate.

Ferrio

Banned
How did they exploit? Did they use a 3rd party tool? Or did they just miss something and are covering their asses with the "exploit" excuse.

An item was costing fractions of it's real cost due to an error. Someone said they were listed at 21 karma and not like 21k karma. They were buying these uber cheap items to forge really really power items at fractions of what you'd have to normally pay for them.

Mardak

Sweet justice. You shall be banned, if you exploit. Simple as that. There's no way you can white knight defend against that type of ridiculous gamebreaking.
How does one determine what is gamebreaking?

In Diablo 3, replaying a quest gave you rewards of money and experience. Some quests gave a significant amount of reward for the amount of effort. Blizzard thought it was gamebreaking enough to remove/reduce the bonuses.

The same thing can happen in GW2 quests. You're just farming the quest over and over again because it's the most efficient way to level up and get currency. Permabanned?

How about if they accidentally typoed on a skill instead of an item's purchase cost? You use the skill that is more powerful than they intended. Every time you use the skill you're now exploiting? What if you tell others in your guild that it's more efficient to kill with that particular skill? What if you use that skill to complete quests faster to get money? Permabanned?

In both those examples, how is a user supposed to know it's exploiting? There may be other quests in the world or other skills that aren't available to you yet (or even implemented yet). For you, these are just part of the game because you don't know everything about the game to decide.

Do people need to now track how much exp/gold/karma they're getting in some amount of time? If they're too efficient and get too much too quickly, permabanned?

KingKong

If it wasn't an exploit, you wouldn't have thousands of players performing it thousands of times in order to get rich. It wasn't intentional, and you are using it to take advantage of the system. Exploit.

They were doing nothing outside of the game or using any glitch. They were simply buying something from a vendor. It's not something to massively ban people over.

note that I'm perfectly fine with: setting them back, removing their karma/gold/items and even deleting their character, but banning them from the game is completely ridiculous

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They weren't exploiting anything. They were gaming the system, which warrants a punishment, but a permanent ban is way too much

I feel like we're getting into semantics territory when you are attributing different meanings to "exploit" and "gaming the system."

An item was costing fractions of it's real cost due to an error. Someone said they were listed at 21 karma and not like 21k karma. They were buying these uber cheap items to forge really really power items at fractions of what you'd have to normally pay for them.

When you take advantage of bugs,mistakes etc in games.. it's an exploit.

Then they should fire the coder responsible if its that serious business that it takes away peoples accounts permanently.

its not like a glitch in that they were outside the map, or using net tools to fuck up shit and teleport around, its like getting banned from tf2 because valve fucked up a patch and made a unique hat craftable using 3 scrap, or someshit.

Absinthe

They were doing nothing outside of the game or using any glitch. They were simply buying something from a vendor. It's not something to massively ban people over.

note that I'm perfectly fine with: setting them back, removing their karma/gold/items and even deleting their character, but banning them from the game is completely ridiculous

I would look here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exploit

vb [ɪkˈsplɔɪt] (tr)
1. to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends
2. to make the best use of to exploit natural resources

verb
1. take advantage of, abuse, use, manipulate, milk, misuse, dump on (slang, chiefly U.S.), ill-treat, shit on (taboo slang), play on or upon "Casual workers are being exploited for slave wages."

Aeana

I hope nobody actually got banned just for buying a couple of them and doing nothing else with them. There's a big difference between that and what others were doing with turning them into other things via the mystic forge on a massive scale, and I don't think the two should be treated equally. People in that thread make it sound like they were banned just for buying, but how many and is that really all they did?

Ferrio

Banned

Your definition of exploit is wrong.

When you take advantage of bugs,mistakes, glitch etc in games.. it's an exploit.

Wikipedia Definition

"An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerised). "

It's cut and dry, because IT WAS A GLITCH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom