• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I've never actually considered the Engineer before but after hearing so many testimonials I'm considering it as my fourth character.

I still haven't started my second one yet.

Absinthe

This is entirely accurate. You must make a strong password, if you don't, you're only making it easier for them.

11 characters of letters and numbers should be sufficient. Unless he used leet speak and then you're just screwed, because obviously that's easy to hack.

One thing people should remember is use special characters (#$%^ etc.) in your passwords, use a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, use spaces if you can, and do not use an actual word or a variation of a word. Create something unique that would be very very difficult to hack and you should be ok.

On an entirely different note, does anyone know when the BLTP is going to be back up?

Ashodin

11 characters of letters and numbers should be sufficient. Unless he used leet speak and then you're just screwed, because obviously that's easy to hack.

One thing people should remember is use special characters (#$%^ etc.) in your passwords, use a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, use spaces if you can, and do not use an actual word or a variation of a word. Create something unique that would be very very difficult to hack and you should be ok.

phrases also work VERY well.

It feels like I'm leveling super slow for some reason. Though it might just be me (level 19).

Same here. I feel like I've put a lot of hours into the game and I'm still only lvl ~23. Then I see all these people linking lvl 40, 50, 60 gear in map chat and wonder what I'm doing wrong. I've been doing a lot of the heart events, like every one I come across. Actually got 100% completion in 3 big zones. Still only lvl 23...

Ferrio

Banned

password_strength.png

Won

Yeah, Engineer is the only thing beside the Thief I found interesting so far. Will definitively put some time into it this weekend.

Is it possible to level up and get competitive (PVP) gear just by PVPing???
And how good is the PVP?
I'm kinda burnt out on PVE stuff in MMORPGs, but if the PVP is really good in this game and it allows me to reach end game I think I may buy it.

K.Sabot

Been listening to this stuff unfold on krippi's stream

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_krippi

Buying weapons for karma and vendoring the stuff you make out of the weapons for gold isn't duping gold by any means.

There has to be something missing, or ArenaNet is fucking stupid and is wasting their time with this shit instead of getting the god damn Trading Post working.

Not like they'll kill the economy because THERE IS NO GOD DAMN ECONOMY.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not like they'll kill the economy because THERE IS NO GOD DAMN ECONOMY.

I'd rather this virtual economy be down now and things get sorted within the month than have a ridiculous economy within the year that lasts until the game's death. The fact that every single player has an opportunity to affect the market for everyone else means that ArenaNet need to get it right before the mistakes grow and mutate in to something irreversible.

K.Sabot

I'd rather this virtual economy be down now and things get sorted within the month than have a ridiculous economy within the year that lasts until the game's death. The fact that every single player has an opportunity to affect the market for everyone else means that ArenaNet need to get it right before the mistakes grow and mutate in to something irreversible.

The longer they wait the worse it gets. A slow, buggy trading post doesn't effect the economy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You only get a 72 hour ban for botting, but perma banned because Arenanet fuck up, lol.

speedpop

The longer they wait the worse it gets.

For who? The impatient few? The vocal minority?

If your bank is overflowing with materials then go the traditional route, forsake your pride, and peddle your wares through chat in a city. For every person that doesn't want to see your writing and ignores you, you may find a potential buyer.

From ArenaNet

Exploits - If you discover an exploit in the game, do not exploit it or publicize it, but instead notify us immediately at this new email address: exploits (at) arena (dot) net.
This morning there was a widely-publicized, newly-introduced exploit in which specific cultural weapons were selling for one-thousandth of their normal price. We fixed it with an emergency build this morning. We want to thank the vast majority of players who became aware of the issue, responsibly reported it, and did not exploit it. However, a smaller group of players did significantly exploit it, each purchasing hundreds or thousands of these weapons. We permanently banned 3,000 accounts of players who substantially exploited it, and applied 72-hours bans to another 1,000 accounts of players who mildly exploited it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

If your bank is overflowing with materials then go the traditional route, forsake your pride, and peddle your wares through chat in a city. For every person that doesn't want to see your writing and ignores you, you may find a potential buyer.
GW1 somehow managed to function this way... it seems downright barbaric now! :p

inky

Ohh... yea, well it was fucked up exploit. I understand that it was ANET's fuck up too, but I have no sympathy for people who do that. If the TP was up that would do irreparable damage, probably prompting a rollback.

K.Sabot

The current way of doing business is about as safe as buying gold from botters.

There's no trade, there's no C.O.D., there's no market safety because people can just swindle you out of your item and put it in their account wide bank.

Torraz

Sweet justice. You shall be banned, if you exploit. Simple as that. There's no way you can white knight defend against that type of ridiculous gamebreaking.

If people who were botting are getting 72H bans and people who bought items that were put in the game by the devs are getting perma-banned this IS pretty odd. The botters should also be perma banned in that case.

Ferrio

Banned
No one in their right mind would see that karma price and go "Yep, that's how it's suppose to be", especially the people that were doing that. They knew it was a fuck up and was taking advantage of it. Sucks that it slipped past the cracks, but anyone taking advantage of it knew what they were doing and were banking on Anet not doing anything to them.

They were essentially laundering in game goods.

Torraz

Still, since arena.net wants to sell stuff for real money, it is logical for them to crack down on economy exploits extra hard.

I've always found it funny when a company comes down hard (in this case, perma) on people who take advantage of the company's error.

I got no sympathy for people who cheat or exploit. Online services are not a democracy. If you want to steal from the king, you can't complain when you get caught, even if the king did leave his vault unlocked.

speedpop

The current way of doing business is about as safe as buying gold from botters.

There's no trade, there's no C.O.D., there's no market safety because people can just swindle you out of your item and put it in their account wide bank.

I agree with you but I am merely pointing out the alternatives. I have my own criticism regarding the game yet it's all going to be lost at sea if I even bother attempting to write it up.

The only valuable solution is to wait. Collect what you need and if the bank becomes full then place the extra materials on a bogus character outfitted with 8 slot bags. There are solutions to the problem but the only thing that everyone can do right now is wait it up.

As I said, I'd rather ArenaNet iron out the kinks now than suffer at the prospect of losing the materials I buy/sell and/or losing the money using/receiving.

So the weapons were incorrectly selling for 21 karma rather than 21,000 points. It seems that people purchased tons of these to then take then to the mystic forge to combine them for a chance at getting lv 80 exotic weapons.

Deitus

If you saw the item was cheap and bought one while you could: you probably knew something was up, but that's an understandable reaction. Doubt there will be any repercussions (except maybe a slap on the wrist and undoing whatever money you made off it).

If you went on to buy several of the item to make money off of: you knew you were exploiting. Hopefully you learn your lesson from your 72 hour ban. The punishment seems a bit harsh, but it's not disproportionate, and it sends a clear message for future exploits. Not saying I'm reveling in your misfortune... I get how the temptation might be strong for such a thing, but ultimately you did wrong and are being punished for it.

If you bought thousands of the item in order to make yourself absolutely filthy rich: you were asking to get banned. Congratulations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like how much of a hardass ArenaNet is being. It reminds me of Verant back in the early EverQuest days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom