• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

Tried a couple matches of sPvP... not bad.

Will probably try a bit more with my other classes when I get the chance to build some specs out instead of using the premade one.

I'm constantly underleveled, despite going for 100% clear on everything I can before moving on to higher-level hearts. Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing every event I find, sometimes even doing events until I don't get any exp from them anymore, and I'm still three levels under where I should be judging by the hearts on the map. Really frustrating. Should I be grinding or something?

Try another zone that is in the same level range. You still get good exp. After doing that a couple times with some crafting (which I'm still figuring out), I'm several levels above the starting level of the next zone.

Piecake

5!!? Well that's more than enough for me, sold.

And from what I hear the game isn't too demanding, right? I've checked the specs and I think I'm fine, but I'm kind of'a noob when it comes to this.

well, id say its not completely optimized yet. Can you run it? says i should be able to run it at High with perfect fps. Yea, thats not happening. Though other people have had different results

Complistic

5!!? Well that's more than enough for me, sold.

And from what I hear the game isn't too demanding, right? I've checked the specs and I think I'm fine, but I'm kind of'a noob when it comes to this.

For what it does, that's right. It can run on an impressive range of machines. Though max settings don't seem quite optimized, low and medium is optimized very well.

qwerty2k

What key bindings does everyone roll with? I find the default a bit fiddly to use the strafe/avoid keys which ive heard is pretty integral (managed to play 15mins last night for the first time).

jono51

Banned
So I've played up to 49 on a warrior so far, pretty much 100%-ing every Norn & Human area up to this point.
Screw whoever made the Dostoev cave vista, especially putting the boss the the top
. Anyway, one thing I think they really should change is the frequency of DE's up to ~40. From 40 onwards, they seem pretty frequent and some are really awesome
Such as one of the Harathi Generals or something who summons a giant stone hand thing in harathi Hinterlands, and defending against a siege by dredge of a Priory base in Dredgehaunt cliffs
. Up until 40 though, I felt they just weren't really frequent enough and there was too much waiting around for something cool to get going.

The only other minor problem I've had is that enemies love to respawn on top of me while I'm trying to use the map to tp to a waypoint or w/e.

Personal story has been pretty nice so far. I picked
Order of Whispers
and I like how it still has its light hearted moments despite getting more serious and stuff.
The ale drinking contest and the "coo"-aggans have been pretty funny :p

Warrior as a class has been really enjoyable. The variety of weapons is definitely ones of its biggest strengths in terms of pve enjoyment. I've unlocked all the weapon skills and I've only got ~4 elites left to get (which'll cost me ~80 Skill Points) and I'm mainly just messing around with them all. Out of the ones I've put a decent amount of time into, Greatsword and bow seem pretty strong and have some great AoE. Hammer if great if you just want to smash stuff up and using a warhorn offhand is really useful when exploring for the speedbuff, as well as in some DE's. Sword/Shield & Axe/Shield are pretty vannila, with the axe being slightly better imo. Rifle is pretty dependable single target dps, pretty nice against bosses in DEs. I plan to put some time into dual axe & mace stuff in the next few levels.

Complistic

What key bindings does everyone roll with? I find the default a bit fiddly to use the strafe/avoid keys which ive heard is pretty integral (managed to play 15mins last night for the first time).

7,8, and 9 are on z,x, and c
0 on v
6 on q
dodge on e
walk toggle on capslock
stow weapons on shift

also if you haven't already you should turn up camera rotation speed. It's set very low by default.

Repost!

Question about Necros again...I'm level 31 and having a lot of trouble in the 15-25 zones. I don't know if it's gear or skill set...Any general tips/suggestions? Up to now, it's been fine...But I'm taking a LOT of damage and don't seem to kill as quick as others around me.

Use your minions, also use the elite skill minion and use its skills.

timkunedo

For my Ranger on her traits I'm focusing on Precision and Vitality. I put 1 point into Power. Am i doing it wrong? Can i undo these points at any time?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For my Ranger on her traits I'm focusing on Precision and Vitality. I put 1 point into Power. Am i doing it wrong? Can i undo these points at any time?

Yeah, you can pay for a reset at your trainer. Don't rebuy the book like it says because it's a waste of fucking money. -_-

Piecake

the next time you buy a manual (level 30 or level 50/60?) your traits will be wiped. Id only invest in points that get you a minor or major trait. anything that isnt a factor of 5 is kinda pointless

So... I just made >1g on the TP in the last 10mins by just selling mats I had saved up, love it. Sold about 1g worth of low-level mats yesterday, now another goald today by selling lvl50-100 crafting mats. Glorious. Tiny&small totems go for like 2s, so do vials of blood oO

What exactly are mats...

edit: Ohh materials.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm kind of wondering what people who feel underleveled are doing differently compared to me.

I am only on my 5th story quest, 100%'d the human and asuran starter zones, 100% explored Rata Sum, currently in a level 15-25 area and am at level 40. Only started doing WvW yesterday.

I hit level 40 yesterday for killing an enemy Yak. Felt like I was doing it wrong.

Wow, wtf this is worst than authenticators.

Three days in a row, it keeps getting me to authenticate through email saying that the same IP address hasn't been authenticated ever.

WTF!

Ok so I can use leather for tailoring, but it wont show up in the Discover panel. What the fuck.

Playing Necro is almost as fun as playing Engie. Almost.

I'm actually having a lot more fun with Necro. Marks, Daggers, Minions, Shroud (though I don't really find Shroud to be that powerful...), etc...

With both characters I focused on +Condition Damage armor.

Flamethrower + Rifle was the best.

Valnen

Not sure I want to buy this game as much after they perma banned Kripp =/. Finally got paid and now I'm debating whether I should actually go out and get it now...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Use your minions, also use the elite skill minion and use its skills.

Should I focus on any specific secondary trait then? I've been using Staff and dagger/dagger with my traits in Spite and Curses (for condition damage), but I feel like with minions, I should focus more on raw damage and buffing my minions. Yay/nay?

I have the same issue but with Wooden Planks and the Artificer. Can you actually use the discovery pane to make every item? Or do some require you to have the recipe?

The thing is, I know I used leather once already while tailoring. But it suddenly disappeared as an option.

Should I focus on any specific secondary trait then? I've been using Staff and dagger/dagger with my traits in Spite and Curses (for condition damage), but I feel like with minions, I should focus more on raw damage and buffing my minions. Yay/nay?

By staff do you mean scepter? Marks dont seem that great for PvE. Until bosses.

I'm only level 10 so far, but I have my bone minions and blood fiend soak most of the damage while I go in and dagger. Then I blow up my bone minions. If I ever accidentally aggro the enemy I switch to my Scepter/Dagger and try to play a ranged game, or I enter Death Shroud mode.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to even use Death Shroud? The Auto Attack doesnt seem too strong even at full bar. The teleport claw seems kinda bad. I do like Fear + Area Drain.

Complistic

I'm playing similarly to you and you really don't have to use all the minions. I've found if you always keep one up (I'm really liking the flesh golem because of his charge attack and he recharges after battles) they can tank well enough for you to kill most mobs. The biggest thing about necro is use your death shrowd. Using your number 4 skill at the right moment can make or break battles with large groups of enemies.

For trait points I spent them in death and blood and got the 20% decrease in staff and dagger recharge time.

yarden24

Currently level 18 (I abandoned my previous characters at levels 23 and 21), and the next story mission is for level 22. At this point, leveling up feels outright tedious and running after heart quests (while waiting for dynamic events to kick in) just isn't fun. I don't know what to do anymore.

yes! I felt like I was the only one that found the game boring, I feel none of the magic from the first guild wars, just feels like every other MMO out there

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Whoa. When was the last time this happened in like, online gaming history?

SWTOR suspending online sales for a while during launch as well because of queues.

How do you learn adept traits? I bought the book for necromancer, but the traits window is still locked.

Did you double-click the book in your inventory?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked but, are their any east coast servers?

Servers are sorted into EU, Asia and American. I've not found a way to tell which American servers are east coast, but I suspect none are.

Ok so I can use leather for tailoring, but it wont show up in the Discover panel.

Did you refine the leather? It should show up once it's been refined (I think it's scraps > stretched, or something).

eek5

Playing Necro is almost as fun as playing Engie. Almost.

are you doing a minion build? having 7 minions up at a time feels pretty cool even though they die quickly

rollin deep with my posse!

I really wish they would regen out of combat though even if it was a slow regen. Also it's a bummer that they don't dance with you :/

I'm actually having a lot more fun with Necro. Marks, Daggers, Minions, Shroud (though I don't really find Shroud to be that powerful...), etc...

Shroud is pretty good. The damage on the autoattack is great. With large groups I'll shroud early and do damage with the autoattack then move in when the life force is low then do life transfer which is AOE life steal to refill life force. Then I'll do some more damage and switch out of it.

Another thing you can use it for is to cycle between weapons/shroud to basically keep everything on CD. I'll spam all my AOE, weapon switch, spam everything, then s witch to shroud and life steal then switch back to weapons and repeat to keep DPS as high as possible.

I think you can use it to avoid death from falls too but I'm not 100% sure.

Warriors are the best overall class in the game, if a little vanilla. They have a large variety of viable builds across all possible roles and pretty much all of their weapons are useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom