• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephixto

Banned
Wtf? Got several emails -

A login attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 175.42.2.135
City: Fuzhou
Region: 07

A login attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 115.173.39.235
City: Kuanchengchen
Region: 30

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location.

And so on. Gold sellers out in full force I see.

At least your getting this emails, my account was forced before this and got hacked, no response yet from Anet yet. sigh

Just hit 25 on my Engineer. Absolutely loving the character still, so I must be doing something right.

My role feels so natural in WvW. You sort of naturally slip into this support role - when attacking, I love to build up a little "base camp" off to the side with a healing and net turret. Grenades are crazy (seriously, use them before they're nerfed as they WILL be nerfed) in PvP and when you're defending it's not uncommon to be doing 3-4k combined damage across multiple people per grenade lob.

I really hate the hit detection on towers, though. Unless you stand just right you get "Obscured" messages constantly.

Kalnos

Banned
This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think sPvP is leagues more fun than PvE and WvWvW in this game. You can instantly try out any class at the cap, it's an even playing field for gear, you can join tournaments, etc, etc. Just a lot of fun.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I dunno what I said, but I'm not in the guild anymore? Bug?

They're doing maintenance on the fly, same thing just happened to me too. Pretty sure the maintenance is causing that, they're probably working on fixing the guild stuff.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
No, haha. I thought I had the skill and got excited.

Oh, lol

My bad. That would have been good marketing material for ANet if you had done that though. I actually wish they would just seal off the DD so that it's pretty much required you be an early adopter in order to get any particular in game things that may come with it. ANet could easily implement a lot more and exciting things into the gem store that they could take advantage there, too (without making it a "pay for power" thing because this deals with minipets and flashy elite skills). That way we could have something of a "Hall of Monuments" with some of the items in GW2 when special events, special releases, and what whatnot offer items that are not normally obtained through the game and/or gem shop.

Asura Tier 2 Light Cultural Headgear + Asura Tier 2 Light Cultural Shoulders + Level 59 Story Chest Reward + Pirate Pants = Broke, Sexy Lump

kJH4z.jpg

Smiley90

Damn, now I'm at the point where I have to choose between the 3 orders :( Can someone please link me pics to the exclusive armor sets they get? And is that really all the difference between the 3 factions (apart from flavour&storyline)

Damn, now I'm at the point where I have to choose between the 3 orders :( Can someone please link me pics to the exclusive armor sets they get? And is that really all the difference between the 3 factions (apart from flavour&storyline)

Forget the armor sets: you want to be in the Order of Whispers no matter what. It is there that you meet the best character in the GW universe: Tybalt the Charr.

Smiley90

Forget the armor sets: you want to be in the Order of Whispers no matter what. It is there that you meet the best character in the GW universe: Tybalt the Charr.

eeeh, I decided to go with Priory for my Norn Guardian, it made the most sense Lore-wise. Will go for Order of Whispers with my Human Thief alt.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm constantly underleveled, despite going for 100% clear on everything I can before moving on to higher-level hearts. Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing every event I find, sometimes even doing events until I don't get any exp from them anymore, and I'm still three levels under where I should be judging by the hearts on the map. Really frustrating. Should I be grinding or something?

I'm constantly underleveled, despite going for 100% clear on everything I can before moving on to higher-level hearts. Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing every event I find, sometimes even doing events until I don't get any exp from them anymore, and I'm still three levels under where I should be judging by the hearts on the map. Really frustrating. Should I be grinding or something?
Same for me.

Kalnos

Banned

You aren't doing anything wrong from what I can tell, it has been happening to me too. My advice: Do the orange dynamic events whenever they appear, collect materials and craft, go for 100% completion of zones with vistas/points of interest.

You can also go to another low-level zone and do the hearts there.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not sure exactly what you're doing then... I'm currently doing everything I see, gathering, 100% and about 5 levels behind the recommended level for Personal Story yet I'm 5 levels over... Maybe you're not gathering? Or crafting? Idk...

Same for me. From my experience some people will tell you this problem doesn't exist though. :(

Lingitiz

Me too, but I'm finding I can finish personal story missions 1 or 2 levels under. I assume its by design, as they want you to spend alot of time exploring and crafting so you can get to those missions and the gear they reward you with.

The way I play is that I try to 100% zones with level ranges right underneath my own (if I'm level 35, I will go to a 20-30 zone and 100% it). I haven't even touched the Charr land areas except for AC and I'm level 62 with plenty of zones I feel I should 100% at 80 since the completion rewards aren't relevant for me now anyway.

froliq

Gather and craft. Crafting is great xp and if you're already doing it then you can always take on another zone in your level range.

eek5

Man.. wtf :( My autoloot stopped showing what I pick up on the right and I can't figure out how to get it back D:

edit: nm some searching and I found out the loot icons are apparently part of the top of the map so you can't move that top the top right...

Izayoi

Banned
How badly does it nerf XP when you're doing other lower level zones? Avoiding grey zones has been hard-coded into me over years of MMOs, but I suppose with the down-leveling stuff it wouldn't be so bad.

Kalnos

Banned
How badly does it nerf XP when you're doing other lower level zones? Avoiding grey zones has been hard-coded into me over years of MMOs, but I suppose with the down-leveling stuff it wouldn't be so bad.

It doesn't nerf it at all. It scales your level down a bit while you're doing them though IIRC.

Piecake

What salvage kits do you guys use on blues+? Just looking at the costs and percentages, it seems that Basic for blues and Fine to Master for anything with a Rune in it, depending on how badly you want that Rune.

I made a pretty noobish mistake for a while and was just using crude on my blues. Pretty stupid considering that it would be worth the extra cost if you simply get 1 rare material out of the 25. It doesnt really seem to be worth the cost just to increase the percentages on rare materials, since those percentage increases are rather small

How easy will this game be to play by myself and to walk away from spontaneously?

I basically play by myself - no mic :( - and its pretty easy. Its a bit more challenging than if you team up with someone but still totally doable. I also dont really feel any rush to get to 80 super quick, so id imagine that if you want to put the game down for a while, youd be fine, especially with no sub and down-leveling

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I was constantly under-leveled too, but then I got more into crafting. Training up cooking for the first time gained me an entire level, right there on the spot - one full XP bar. I didn't even need to do anything special. Just use the ingredients I had already gathered naturally to make discoveries.

I've never touched tailoring so I can probably do the same there in a day or two with the cloth I've been salvaging. Free XP!

Likewise, going to other starting zones won't feel like the busy-work it does in other MMOs, since your level scales down with the content. You can enjoy the hearts and events and enemies fresh again. Will harm your experience leveling any alts, though. So I would do it as a last resort.

Teknoman

What salvage kits do you guys use on blues+? Just looking at the costs and percentages, it seems that Basic for blues and Fine to Master for anything with a Rune in it, depending on how badly you want that Rune.

I made a pretty noobish mistake for a while and was just using crude on my blues. Pretty stupid considering that it would be worth the extra cost if you simply get 1 rare material out of the 25. It doesnt really seem to be worth the cost just to increase the percentages on rare materials, since those percentage increases are rather small

I basically play by myself - no mic :( - and its pretty easy. Its a bit more challenging than if you team up with someone but still totally doable. I also dont really feel any rush to get to 80 super quick, so id imagine that if you want to put the game down for a while, youd be fine, especially with no sub and down-leveling

Hey you can still guild chat.

Trey

You should be able to handle content about 3 levels higher than you. Get comfortable with your profession and ability.

Izayoi

Banned
You should be able to handle content about 3 levels higher than you. Get comfortable with your profession and ability.
I can, but I'm afraid that I will just fall behind even more than I already am. I guess I'll start crafting, haven't done any yet. Have a bunch of gathered stuff, though. Should I take cooking + whatever is useful for my class, or is there a super profitable craft that I should take instead?

Artanisix

What are people thinking about the classes? Are all of the viable? I'm thinking about trying some sword&board guy, what do you recommend?

I'm running a defensive-based mace+shield warrior right now. It's insanely good in dungeons and in wvw, especially for defending supplies and whatnot.

Proven

So my Internet crapped out on me in the worse way, so I didn't get the chance to make a post Neil ow. Thanks Rabious, Palmer, Fiona, ItAintEasy, Hawkian, Lump, DrKirby, Wallach, and a bunch of others for the fun time in Mumble while running around the Ehmry Bay Borderlands. Hopefully we'll still own their garrison tomorrow.

Dreavus

You can wear another race's cultural armor?! Yeeeaaaah!

Now I just have to figure out which explorer-class I want to stick with.

Huh? I thought the consensus was that you specifically could not wear another race's armor. Do you have a screen by any chance? I hate all the human cultural light armor sets so I'd be interested in other race's by default.

EDIT: I was just checking out some other sets. Even the Durmand Priory light-armor stuff is pretty generic, for human at least.

I'm going to be wearing this heritage skin forever, aren't I? :|

What are people thinking about the classes? Are all of the viable? I'm thinking about trying some sword&board guy, what do you recommend?

I am currently rocking an alchemist engineer. Battles generally involve getting completely drugged up on my elixirs and running at the enemies while screaming and shooting my blunderbuss. It is working out for me currently, I have never felt weak given the level of my opponents and I've got lots of opportunities to buff my allies should a group fight break out. I did try a bit of the sword and shield action on an alt character and it seems enjoyable, I would say go for it if you want to.

2San

I have no idea pve wise and have only experienced public spvp. I think all classes do decently from what I've seen(on this skill level at least). Gaurdian seems pretty beastly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom