• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to make a fortune off just selling bank storage space since they give you such a pathetically small amount of it.

Anyone notice that the bloom is a bit excessive in some areas? I'm talking about the early Sylvari areas on the beach for example. It's burning my damn retinas :D

I hate the Sylvari area because of it.

Trey

Game is ridiculous fun. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have to deal with any of that side bullshit (TP being down, authentication issues, etc). I hope Arenanet can resolve these problems soon, because right now they've got issues on all fronts.

"Is this just because people aren't sure how to deal with them yet? I remember the Warrior in PVP in WoW was "overpowered" but we could get locked down by any smart team pretty quickly."

By "best overall class" I don't mean that a warrior beats other classes. I mean that the class can literally do anything in the game and do it well. All of the other currently strong spvp classes really are strong because of one or two particularly good builds and the rest of their builds/weapons are of questionable use.

eek5

I hope they fix or implement something so that minipets don't go into collections because I don't use that option as I always use my minipet cat.

You can get invisible bags

Wtf? Invisible bag?

They purposely make one just for that reason or something?

Not just for pets. Anything in that bag doesn't get sorted so if you run with combined inventory you can have your invisible bag last and keep important items there and when you "compact" all those items will remain on the bottom. Items there also don't show up on vendor sell list so you might be carrying a 2nd or 3rd weapon or armor or something that you don't want to vendor or you might loot some good piece for another character; you can throw it in there and not worry about ever accidentally vendoring it.

I always find it odd when people complain about leveling gaps, because I'm always overleveled. I've spent the vast majority of my time in this game being scaled down.

If you're having trouble, you need to explore other aspects of the game. I'm doing basically everything, exploring (including getting full clears), story quests (HUGE rewards for these), crafting, events, hearts, going on runs to farm materials ("farming" in this game is more like running around for 15 minutes than the all-day activity in other MMOs), going out of my way to take out passive mobs that give massive bonus XP for being untouched for so long, etc. You don't even have to do all of these; like I said, by trying out everything, I'm actually overleveled constantly. Just do something besides running from heart to heart. And you can do all of this in any area you'd like; although you'll be more productive in something level appropriate, low level content is less complex and goes down pretty quickly. Getting 400 XP for a quest that takes no time at all as it gets zerged in a starting area full of new players is actually fairly productive even though the numbers that flash are smaller.

When you hit level gaps, that is the design of the game telling you to try something else. I have a feeling that, like with most other MMOs, the bitching over that choice will lead to it being patched out, but I hope not. Encouraging players to participate in many activities instead of tunnel vision quest grinding can only be a good thing for the quality of the community.

You're right to some degree, but unfortunately there are some out of tune systems in the game that people who want to power level can easily exploit. Cooking in particular is piss easy to power level yourself on with nothing but a small investment of coin and karma to buy materials. You can sit down for a few minutes and pump out a full level or two from cooking.

This is how rich people are going to level alts in the future: crafting. They will go onto the AH and pull up a guide on their second monitor to power leveling with crafting. They'll pound out a few thousand items and reach level 80 in a matter of hours.

So I got my Asura Necro to level 4 the other night but he seems so underpowered, what are the best possible choices when creating your character? Or does it not impact gameplay all that much?

V_Arnold

Can I get an invite to the EU Guild? My norn guardian is just about to hit lv30 with two professions that I have kept up with (both will be 100+/100+ in a few hours :D), and I would like to be able to participate in PVE dungeons with gaffers, finally!

DodgerSan

So checking the OP, the best way to get into the guild is to whisper an officer in game. How can I check if one is on at any given time?

Edit: or should I ask here as the poster above?

khefka

Neo Member
I switched to Guardian hoping to get that Scorpion pull move but I find it's extremely limited and would need a pairing with a binding partner to really work so I may switch back to my Warrior.
The attack works as it says, hit it once to set the mark and again to pull. The main limit being that it is only like 600 range, not sure what you mean by a binding partner though. You could set the mark and then as long as you kept in range pull at your discretion. It may not always work on escaping enemies but it doesn't seem all that slow to me.

Repost!

Question about Necros again...I'm level 31 and having a lot of trouble in the 15-25 zones. I don't know if it's gear or skill set...Any general tips/suggestions? Up to now, it's been fine...But I'm taking a LOT of damage and don't seem to kill as quick as others around me.

By staff do you mean scepter? Marks dont seem that great for PvE. Until bosses.

I'm only level 10 so far, but I have my bone minions and blood fiend soak most of the damage while I go in and dagger. Then I blow up my bone minions. If I ever accidentally aggro the enemy I switch to my Scepter/Dagger and try to play a ranged game, or I enter Death Shroud mode.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to even use Death Shroud? The Auto Attack doesnt seem too strong even at full bar. The teleport claw seems kinda bad. I do like Fear + Area Drain.

I personally love marks, (lvl 44). I ran a conditionmancer build with Scepter/Dagger and Staff. Used consume conditions as my heal, epidemic, blood is power and corrosive poisonous cloud. The way the build works is to lure a group of enemies in with Scepter 2, then dagger 5 to start adding conditions on them, when they get close pop blood is power and corrosive poisonous cloud. Now that you put some conditions on yourself, you can use Dagger 4 to send them to enemies and use epidemic to spread one enemy's conditions to the rest. Scepter 1 can also be used to add more conditions before using epidemic. Staff 2 and 4 are great for dmg, 3 and 5 are for CC. I've moved to a ranged wells build but this still works. As for traits I used Curses first.

As for DS, I really use it as an oshit button or a tanking form as I try to keep enemies within the cloud and wells, not really good offensively tbh

zlatko

Banned
So is there a preferred stat to focus on as a GRD? I assume toughness/VIT are the go tos, but I'm not sure if power is good to get too.

Also, are the best weapon choices for PvP/PvE for GRD 2hand sword, and 1h sword + torch?

Llyranor

the story is GW2 isn't that bad, there's a neat QTE minigame where you click on the lower-right icon as quickly as possible - as a reward, they remove all the cutscene dialogue from the game

Taffer

Staff 2 and 4 are great for dmg, 3 and 5 are for CC. I've moved to a ranged wells build but this still works.

Someone else said this recently, I was under the impression Staff 4 did not much damage but transferred conditions from allies to foes. That's what I've been using it for anyway, am I missing something?

Trey

the story is GW2 isn't that bad, there's a neat QTE minigame where you click on the lower-right icon as quickly as possible - as a reward, they remove all the cutscene dialogue from the game

The "Skip to End" option reappears when you move your mouse.

You probably know about this by now but just in case you don't:

kbJJp.png

You can send all the mats in your bag straight to that collectibles tab with the gear icon submenu

Dude...you just made me hate myself. I've been running that stuff to the bank for the last few days.

Einbroch

Banned
Someone else said this recently, I was under the impression Staff 4 did not much damage but transferred conditions from allies to foes. That's what I've been using it for anyway, am I missing something?
Staff 2 and 3 are amazing. Posted it before, but before pulling use 4 between the enemy and you.

Jack_AG

Banned
Not sure I want to buy this game as much after they perma banned Kripp =/. Finally got paid and now I'm debating whether I should actually go out and get it now...

It's like SWTOR: "How DARE you venture in a higher level area and survive! BANNED!"

That being said - most people in MMOs who exploit - know its an exploit when they're doing it. It's not exactly like you don't understand some basic basic mechanics of the game and economy and are completely ignorant of the fact that you are exploiting a currency bug. Simply looking at other items in the same level range would tip you off. Unless you were born yesterday - let's not play stupid here and insult everyone's intelligence with a "pity me" story, which is exactly what Kripp was doing.

That being said: The sequel - it's ANet's fault that shit went through. You can't fault a player for taking advantage of your own mistakes. Custom bots, game hacks, etc - absolutely - I see no issue with bans for people who are using these. But openly talking about another user's account in a public forum and not having some sort of general rule about ban times for what offense (seeing as how we went from a timed-ban to permanent) is inexcusable.

Short version: Kripp should stop playing stupid - he knew what he was doing. ANet really shouldn't fault a player for their own development mistakes.

They are both in the wrong here, IMO.

Proven

What are some simple ways of making money in this game? I've been mining, salvaging all my items I Don't use etc. but I haven't but them to use yet and I'm dead broke. Do I vendor all the items or are there other ways to make money?

I do a ton of Dynamic Events. Seriously, I've earned over a gold just exploring the world and helping out in Dynamic Events I see.

As you push forward through the game, the amount of experience and gold you get from events is often more tuned to your downleveled state rather than your actual level. You'll go faster if you push ahead. If you're dead set at continuing in an area for longer, though, then go for 100% completion. The achievement chests you get are tuned to your actual level, and you can get a large amount of silver from them.

With the Trading Post up, you can sell a lot of materials there for extra coin, but you'll have to wait until the drop dead prices leave. Right now, it's much better to buy up materials for crafting.

Finally, I buy as much as I can with karma. You can get salvage kits for karma (find the Weaponsmith vendor at any crafting area. He sells to everybody). You can get new weapons, armor, and accessories through karma. You can even get new runes and sigils from karma; just get the high level salvage kits and find a vendor selling armor or weapons with something you like in them.

Basically, I'm an adventurer with frugal tendencies. From launch till now, I've probably made 3 gold already.

Yes but it also has a base damage and is considered a combo finisher, so if you put other marks or wells down first itll count as a combo when you drop staff 4 onto an enemy

Jack_AG

Banned
So I got my Asura Necro to level 4 the other night but he seems so underpowered, what are the best possible choices when creating your character? Or does it not impact gameplay all that much?

The choices you make have no gameplay impact on your character aside from personal story and NPC interaction. For me when I tested a Necro - they felt slightly weak early on, IMO.

The guy who is encouraging people to take advantage of an oversight on the part of the developer?

Yep...unprofessional as fuck he is.

I'd be pretty salty if my 72 hour ban was changed to a perma ban because people on reddit complained that they got perma banned for an even worse exploit.

That being said - most people in MMOs who exploit - know its an exploit when they're doing it. It's not exactly like you don't understand some basic basic mechanics of the game and economy and are completely ignorant of the fact that you are exploiting a currency bug. Simply looking at other items in the same level range would tip you off. Unless you were born yesterday - let's not play stupid here and insult everyone's intelligence with a "pity me" story, which is exactly what Kripp was doing.

Kripp wasn't banned for the karma weapon thing. He was banned for turning 20k karma into 8 gold with chili peppers.

Taffer

Staff 2 and 3 are amazing. Posted it before, but before pulling use 4 between the enemy and you.

Yeah, they're the ones that do all the work, 4 & 5 are kept in reserve to scare off swarms of melee mobs that get close enough to hit me or to shift nasty conditions off me. What I'm wondering is why people are recommending using 4 straight away, I thought its main use was ridding yourself of conditions, does it have some offensive use I'm not noticing?

EDIT:
Yes but it also has a base damage and is considered a combo finisher, so if you put other marks or wells down first itll count as a combo when you drop staff 4 onto an enemy

Oooooh, I see. I've just been flinging the basic attack into the poison field from 3 for auto-combos, I'll have to try this out.

Wallach

Short version: Kripp should stop playing stupid - he knew what he was doing. ANet really shouldn't fault a player for their own development mistakes.

Kripp is a smart guy, but watching that video you wouldn't know it. He acts like they permabanned anyone that bought weapons from that vendor when everyone knows that isn't the case. He also blatantly accuses them of being dishonest about how many players they hit with bans for what seems to be no reason other than him being more emotional about the situation than he lets on. Whether he's actually ignorant or outright disingenuous, he's still coming off too desperate to paint them as the bad guys when the reality about what happened is good enough to get the point across that he feels they're not handling the situation well enough. Particularly having to find out that your ban was escalated via a public forum without hearing any justification as to why (though I am only assuming he is being honest about this).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The thing is, I know I used leather once already while tailoring. But it suddenly disappeared as an option.

By staff do you mean scepter? Marks dont seem that great for PvE. Until bosses.

I'm only level 10 so far, but I have my bone minions and blood fiend soak most of the damage while I go in and dagger. Then I blow up my bone minions. If I ever accidentally aggro the enemy I switch to my Scepter/Dagger and try to play a ranged game, or I enter Death Shroud mode.

Late post response!

1) I've had the same thing happen with tailoring for me (regarding leather). My brother had it happen as a leatherworker with cloth stuff. Confusing to say the least.

2) No, I mean staff. Staff has the area marks that do continuous damage and condition damage, so that's why I was trying to go that route. I like condition damage and the bonuses, but as a solo, it feels rough.

I'm just trying to iron out some options since I feel gimpy. At level 32 now, I'm getting my ass handed to me in the lower level zones by single and double mobs. Yeah, level scaling, etc etc, but I feel like my skills and semi-pertinent gear should be enough to combat face rape.

I always find it odd when people complain about leveling gaps, because I'm always overleveled. I've spent the vast majority of my time in this game being scaled down.

If you're having trouble, you need to explore other aspects of the game.

When you hit level gaps, that is the design of the game telling you to try something else. I have a feeling that, like with most other MMOs, the bitching over that choice will lead to it being patched out, but I hope not. Encouraging players to participate in many activities instead of tunnel vision quest grinding can only be a good thing for the quality of the community.

I don't think I could agree with this. The best thing GW has going for it leveling-wise is the concept that you can do what you want, when you want and always being making progress. You're never forced to do this or that or mix it up if you don't want to. You shouldn't 'force' people to go do different things for the sake of the community.

The better solution is to take advantage of the level scaling system, if you get underleveled in a zone but still want to do hearts and make map progress, just hop into a different zone of similar level (or even a zone one 'tier' under you). The scaling system will adjust itself and you will usually level just as fast. Then by the time you clear the first half of a different zone, you are high enough level to do the second half of both zones.

Really, if you wanted to do hearts and nothing else, you probably could. I can't say this is true for the highest levels yet, but I imagine that you could go back and do any zones you haven't done yet because of scaling.

It's like SWTOR: "How DARE you venture in a higher level area and survive! BANNED!"

IIRC that wasn't exactly what people were banned for. But I completely agree with the rest of your post.

The problem with this stuff is it makes players have to second-guess everything that they are doing. To use another SWTOR example, because I've only been playing GW2 for a couple of hours: Legacy gear.

As a side effect(?) you can use Legacy Gear to transfer soul-bound end-game mods to alts. This means that you can partially gear up a new character to (say) War Hero level using your existing well-geared geared character. Is this OK? Is it an exploit? It looks dubious to me. BioWare haven't banned anyone yet. There's a suggestion that they've said it's OK but no-one has provided a post from BioWare saying as much. People come up with all sorts of justifications ("You've worked for the gear", "it costs a lot of credits" etc.) but that avoids the fact that you are doing it for a reason which is that it's easier than going though the recruit -> battlemaster -> war hero grind on your alt.

Without clear communication, and reasonable behaviour on behalf of the developers, you enter this situation where cautious players lose out because they see something that looks to them to be too good to be true and don't do it because they fear getting banned in future, whether they would or not.

Proven

Kripp is a smart guy, but watching that video you wouldn't know it. He acts like they permabanned anyone that bought weapons from that vendor when everyone knows that isn't the case. He also blatantly accuses them of being dishonest about how many players they hit with bans for what seems to be no reason other than him being more emotional about the situation than he lets on. Whether he's actually ignorant or outright disingenuous, he's still coming off too desperate to paint them as the bad guys when the reality about what happened is good enough to get the point across that he feels they're not handling the situation well enough. Particularly having to find out that your ban was escalated via a public forum without hearing any justification as to why (though I am only assuming he is being honest about this).

This. Pretty much. I understand ANet's position, but I was a bit more on Kripp's side. At this point, both of them are not doing themselves any favors.

can you join guilds cross server?
Yes, yes, yes. Oh, and yes.

syllogism

That being said: The sequel - it's ANet's fault that shit went through. You can't fault a player for taking advantage of your own mistakes. Custom bots, game hacks, etc - absolutely - I see no issue with bans for people who are using these. But openly talking about another user's account in a public forum and not having some sort of general rule about ban times for what offense (seeing as how we went from a timed-ban to permanent) is inexcusable.

You can't just tolerate wilful exploiting because these exploits do not just benefit the person in question, but can on a larger scale potentially ruin the whole game economy and impact everyone else. Oversights, "mistakes", are always going to be present in games of this scale; that has certainly been the case for every single MMO. If there is no punishment other than maybe losing what you gained, and only if you get caught, there is no deterrent. There is very little reason to tolerate abusing a designer error or oversight in a massively multiplayer game. You can sometimes make the argument that the player in question didn't know he was doing something unintended, but that's about it.

Valnen

The video uploader? Yeah, he definitely is.

Lol no, Arena Net for perma banning him and him finding out via Reddit. Whoever made that decision needs to lose their job.

If they had any integrity they'd at least send an email before going on reddit and saying "LOL WE BANNED HIS ASS". People have boycotted stuff over less. Regardless, I'm headed out to buy the game now. Not gonna pass up the greatest MMO to likely hit for the next 10 years.

Ferny

Lol no, Arena Net for perma banning him and him finding out via Reddit. Whoever made that decision needs to lose their job.

That I agree with. Putting that out there on Reddit first was dumb but he knew exactly what he was doing, he can play dumb all he wants but I 100% believe he knew exactly what he was trying to do and is playing it up for his "audience"

Ultimatum

Banned
So what race/creation options give you the best personal story? I created a Charr and I'm really enjoying it, but I want to make another character, just wondering which one to choose. Thinking Sylvari right now, but just want to see if any of the stories are notably better.

RotBot

Is there a list of respawning chest locations?

I know of the 2 behind the Skritt king.

Then there are all the jumping puzzle chests, but I've never been back on another day to see if they respawn.

Heysoos

Wait, what? That's not even remotely what happened at all. The player was mistakenly flagged as a credit farmer/bot because he spent a long amount of time for several days farming chests as a low level in a level 49+ planet. Around this time there were many bots doing this. His account was never banned, he had just received a warning because the automated system flagged him for doing this nonstop for a long period of time/days.

wwm0nkey

Holy shit man. That's crazy.

Yeah fuck this company(NCSoft), they never once sent me a confirmation email to confirm the change OR what the email was changed too. Pretty big flaw in their system that could easily be fixed.

Also I am not the only one.

Heysoos

IIRC that wasn't exactly what people were banned for. But I completely agree with the rest of your post.

The problem with this stuff is it makes players have to second-guess everything that they are doing. To use another SWTOR example, because I've only been playing GW2 for a couple of hours: Legacy gear.

As a side effect(?) you can use Legacy Gear to transfer soul-bound end-game mods to alts. This means that you can partially gear up a new character to (say) War Hero level using your existing well-geared geared character. Is this OK? Is it an exploit? It looks dubious to me. BioWare haven't banned anyone yet. There's a suggestion that they've said it's OK but no-one has provided a post from BioWare saying as much. People come up with all sorts of justifications ("You've worked for the gear", "it costs a lot of credits" etc.) but that avoids the fact that you are doing it for a reason which is that it's easier than going though the recruit -> battlemaster -> war hero grind on your alt.

Without clear communication, and reasonable behaviour on behalf of the developers, you enter this situation where cautious players lose out because they see something that looks to them to be too good to be true and don't do it because they fear getting banned in future, whether they would or not.

Nope, Legacy gear is working as intended. They have stated multiple times that this is fine. You are somewhat making it easier to gear up alts but, you still have to go through the progression in the first place to even get the items. So even if it is somewhat easier to get War Hero gear for your alt, you still need to gather enough Warzone Commendations, Battlemaster gear, and Ranked Commendations to do this. It cuts down some time, but it still a pretty lengthy process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom