• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

Continue asking questions here and in the guild chat if you're a member. People will help you.

A lot of the issue is that MMO devs use a lot of concepts that they take for granted because they've been established for so long. It's too easy to forget what it's like to play one of these games for the first time.
Speaking of which, I'd like to join the GAF Guild, how do I go about doing that?

Absinthe

The game has absolutely no instructions. It sorely needs some. The Wiki is good in some aspects but fails to explain some simple things for us newbs (like- What does it mean when something is "soulbound"?). I'm just clueless when it comes to these things unless it's spelled out.

You are not wrong. Get in the guild and use the guild chat in game. People are more than helpful to answer plenty of questions you may have. Also try to hook up with some of the guildies as well. There is much you can learn about this game that is not explained at all.

Ex: when a buddy of mine got traits he went for 4 levels without even knowing what they were or how to use them.

Speaking of which, I'd like to join the GAF Guild, how do I go about doing that?

Whisper the guild officers. Hawkian (Hawkian The Blade) is one good person who is on regularly, also Jira (gojira) is also good to get ahold of in game

Vodh

Man, I'm trying not to buy this...

Would someone who got burnt out on WoW and similar mmo's like this game?

It looks like they've actually changed the standard mmo formula.

I've burned out on WoW, had a couple of rebound resubs (usually around expansions or scrolls of resurrection and such) and never really got hooked by any other MMO after that. I've had a brief rommance with Cabal Online just because it felt fresh and different with its combo system - for what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted. Tried WAR too, was fun but quit after about 9 weeks.

Recently I've tried Tera (played for some 20 hours, didn't end up convinced) and The Secret World - a game with beautiful story, quests and mood, and a combat system devoid of all fun. Considdered resubbing past the first month but decided against it in the end.

Guild Wars 2 is fresh, fun, redefines a lot of stale MMO concepts, and the game gets more fun the more you play it. It starts off really fun but sort of uncomfortable, and from then it just grows on you bit by bit. Definitely the best MMO I've played since the amazing experience that was the vanilla WoW tried as a first MMO I've ever played, and leaves all the recent competition way behind. Give it a try.

CAW

Stormbluff is full and won't allow me to create. Is this permanent or just right now, like at this time/hour?

Wag

You are not wrong. Get in the guild and use the guild chat in game. People are more than helpful to answer plenty of questions you may have. Also try to hook up with some of the guildies as well. There is much you can learn about this game that is not explained at all.

Ex: when a buddy of mine got traits he went for 4 levels without even knowing what they were or how to use them.

Whisper the guild officers. Hawkian (Hawkian The Blade) is one good person who is on regularly, also Jira (gojira) is also good to get ahold of in game
You're going to have to explain how because as I said, I'm clueless.

The only thing I know is /g for guild chat? Or something like that...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn leveling is way too fast D: I'm over 45 now and basically just managed to get my race armor. I don't want to reach cap :(

jbq5J8HWN4zuSE.png

A lot of the issue is that MMO devs use a lot of concepts that they take for granted because they've been established for so long. It's too easy to forget what it's like to play one of these games for the first time.
Well after all, it is Guild Wars 2 ;)

Continue asking questions here and in the guild chat if you're a member. People will help you.

GW2's greatest flaw is its first impression. It lets you play it like a WoW clone uneasily until about level 15 without really teaching you about the mechanics that make it stand above every MMO released in quite a while.

I equate it to like going on a first date with a new girl, and the first date is her being nervous and trying to be like the popular girl. You give her a second chance, learn she's into Magic the Gathering and Doctor Who and suddenly gives you that smile that makes you want to date her. Then she takes out two arcade sticks and proceeds to tear you apart in SF4AE, and then you want to marry her. You'll forever wonder why she didn't show that side of her during the first date.

That's what Guild Wars 2 is like.

Bento

Anyone having issues with the Chef profession? Trying to make some cookie dough but I can't discover the recipe! I've added Stick of Butter, Bag of Sugar, Bag of Flour and Egg but it says no recipe can be discovered using this combination >_< Have they changed the recipes already?

CAW

Only at peak times. Wait it out, you'll be able to join it.

I guess I jumped the gun and didn't pay attention and created a 'home server' on another server. Does this limit me from joining the guild, and I guess I'm kinda SOL in that regard? Forgive my ignorance and impatience. I just wanted to jump in and play and assumed it followed the same server rules as other MMOs. I guess I should check out the manual or wiki.

Saprol

Anyone having issues with the Chef profession? Trying to make some cookie dough but I can't discover the recipe! I've added Stick of Butter, Bag of Sugar, Bag of Flour and Egg but it says no recipe can be discovered using this combination >_< Have they changed the recipes already?

It should be a default recipe in the production tab if you're the proper level.

timkunedo

Drop it for cooking - its what I did and haven't looked back.

Guild Wars 2 kind of gives you a warning when you consider Cooking over other professions. It seems to warn you how expensive it is and seems to tell you it requires a certain expertise. Is this true? Is it just for the hardcore??

Absinthe

You're going to have to explain how because as I said, I'm clueless.

The only thing I know is /g for guild chat? Or something like that...

/w for whisper and then it will ask the character name. So /w gojira "your message"

Just let them know you're GAF tag and ask for an invite. Some people are saying you need to register on gafguild.com but I don't remember the correct post to post in.

I guess I jumped the gun and didn't pay attention and created a 'home server' on another server. Does this limit me from joining the guild, and I guess I'm kinda SOL in that regard? Forgive my ignorance and impatience. I just wanted to jump in and play and assumed it followed the same server rules as other MMOs. I guess I should check out the manual or wiki.

You can change your server in the starting menu and keep your progress. It's free right now but in the future it will cost gems (real money).

Kikarian

It's fine, aha, I was frustrated when I couldn't join it. The server doesn't matter it won't stop you from joining the guild, of course if you want to meet up with more people in the guild then join Stormbluff Isle, but it doesn't really matter.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What the fuck? CM is stupid easy. Why is this dungeons so much easier than AC?

I definitely want to try exploration mode at some point.

Guild Wars 2 kind of gives you a warning when you consider Cooking over other professions. It seems to warn you how expensive it is and seems to tell you it requires a certain expertise. Is this true? Is it just for the hardcore??

To rejoin tailoring, it cost me 3 silver 40 bronze because my tailoring was level 34. I assume it's 10 bronze per level.

Achtius

Since crafting is so expensive, is there any reason to craft? Can't you just give the ingredient to people (whom you trust) and can craft it?

crafting lvl 30 something stuff at lvl 67 isn't worth it..lol even with the xp booster. =/

And I probably wont' have the gold to continue crafting, might as well sell the fine mat?

zlatko

Banned
Random request, but could anyone take the image below and make it the right size for being a facebook cover? :p I think the dimensions are 800 x 315, but I could be mistaken.

gwbadassbackground-1.jpg

depths20XX

I've burned out on WoW, had a couple of rebound resubs (usually around expansions or scrolls of resurrection and such) and never really got hooked by any other MMO after that. I've had a brief rommance with Cabal Online just because it felt fresh and different with its combo system - for what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted. Tried WAR too, was fun but quit after about 9 weeks.

Recently I've tried Tera (played for some 20 hours, didn't end up convinced) and The Secret World - a game with beautiful story, quests and mood, and a combat system devoid of all fun. Considdered resubbing past the first month but decided against it in the end.

Guild Wars 2 is fresh, fun, redefines a lot of stale MMO concepts, and the game gets more fun the more you play it. It starts off really fun but sort of uncomfortable, and from then it just grows on you bit by bit. Definitely the best MMO I've played since the amazing experience that was the vanilla WoW tried as a first MMO I've ever played, and leaves all the recent competition way behind. Give it a try.

Cool, you just convinced me. Now for this to finish downloading...

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

It's not too bad, but you will have to put in some effort to get to 400 at a low level. Doing certain renowned hearts (that require no killing) in higher zones to get access to peaches, oranges, etc.

Saprol

My cooking levels have been jumping by repeating recipes using karma vendor / master chef ingredients. Trying to do things like other professions such as just discovering every iteration possible doesn't work well because that clogs the hell out of bank/inventory.

Weapon/armor crafters can vend or salvage their extra stuff to maintain space. You could vend excess intermediate ingredients but the moment something is consumable, I have to eat it or wait to offload it to the trading post (hasn't opened to me more than once yet) for probably low sums of copper.

TP finally back up!

I really hope the daily achievements won't be pretty much a different version of the same thing every day.

Also did they make the AI easier in the second human zone? Could have sworn these guys dodged and weapon swapped in the BWE's now they are standing around doing the same old thing over and over.

BigDes

Since crafting is so expensive, is there any reason to craft? Can't you just give the ingredient to people (whom you trust) and can craft it?

crafting lvl 30 something stuff at lvl 67 isn't worth it..lol even with the xp booster. =/

And I probably wont' have the gold to continue crafting, might as well sell the fine mat?

Easiest way to level

Also it's only expensive because the trading post is still down, expect it to become cheaper once the post is open and flooded

dorkimoe

question. We were fighting a hunter and we had 4v1 on him and were getting ready to kill him and then he just disappeared? and never came back...? I'm a thief and I can only vanish for 4 seconds..this guy was vanished forever? How?

Jack_AG

Banned
question. We were fighting a hunter and we had 4v1 on him and were getting ready to kill him and then he just disappeared? and never came back...? I'm a thief and I can only vanish for 4 seconds..this guy was vanished forever? How?
Lots of lag and random disconnects today. I DC'd 3 times in an hour earlier this evening.

diamount

Banned
I'm not even able to log in. Wanted to wait for the population to die down a second but I constaly kepe getting connection errors.

eek5

I got a glimpse of the TP for a second and tiny claws were a silver a piece. wtf! People with access to TP must be getting rich man.

I got a glimpse of the TP for a second and tiny claws were a silver a piece. wtf! People with access to TP must be getting rich man.

Same for me. I saw the TP up and went to go to my bank to get some stuff to sell and then the TP was down.

Though I'm ok with it being down if the lag was caused by the TP honestly.

Mothman91

How do I go about making a ticket?

Someone was selling a warhorn through chat, and I offered 10s. He never replied until I asked him how much did the other guy offer? He said 15s, then I was like damn, I would've offered 20, oh well. Then he comes and says, it's yours then. I wait a bit after killing some mobs, and finally send him his 20s. I reply after a bit asking what's up? He said he never got my silver. So either I got scammed, or I accidentally inserted his name wrong in the compose mail. Want to see if a GM can sort this out correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom