• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaelic

Banned
SMAA is better than FXAA and whatever ones this game uses, and it doesn't take much performance hit like the other AA options.

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

I wouldnt use it, especially since they have been ban happy lately. their response on SMAA injector

The use of third party program of any kind is neither encouraged or supported by the Guild Wars Support Team. Based on the information provided, while the purpose behind use of the third party program seems to be rather benign, the method by which it accomplishes its goal may subject your account to action.

TheExodu5

Banned
They're not going to ban people for using a shader. The backlash would be enormous.

edit: just tried the SMAA injector on Ultra. The difference in between it and the in-game FXAA is incredibly negligible. I couldn't A/B the screenshots at all. Also, the SMAA injector screws with the UI.

I've burned out on WoW, had a couple of rebound resubs (usually around expansions or scrolls of resurrection and such) and never really got hooked by any other MMO after that. I've had a brief rommance with Cabal Online just because it felt fresh and different with its combo system - for what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted. Tried WAR too, was fun but quit after about 9 weeks.

Recently I've tried Tera (played for some 20 hours, didn't end up convinced) and The Secret World - a game with beautiful story, quests and mood, and a combat system devoid of all fun. Considdered resubbing past the first month but decided against it in the end.

Guild Wars 2 is fresh, fun, redefines a lot of stale MMO concepts, and the game gets more fun the more you play it. It starts off really fun but sort of uncomfortable, and from then it just grows on you bit by bit. Definitely the best MMO I've played since the amazing experience that was the vanilla WoW tried as a first MMO I've ever played, and leaves all the recent competition way behind. Give it a try.

GW2's greatest flaw is its first impression. It lets you play it like a WoW clone uneasily until about level 15 without really teaching you about the mechanics that make it stand above every MMO released in quite a while.

I equate it to like going on a first date with a new girl, and the first date is her being nervous and trying to be like the popular girl. You give her a second chance, learn she's into Magic the Gathering and Doctor Who and suddenly gives you that smile that makes you want to date her. Then she takes out two arcade sticks and proceeds to tear you apart in SF4AE, and then you want to marry her. You'll forever wonder why she didn't show that side of her during the first date.

That's what Guild Wars 2 is like.

Those two post are so perfect and sum up so well my opinion of GW2, I don't know what else to add. Perhaps only that this gives me hope in that if enough people feel like us, we should be able to spread the word and let people see through these first impressions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I haven't had it up once. This is ridiculous. People are making bank, I have so much stuff to sell and am getting left behind in the dust.

Yep, it sucks. Every time I go back to the bank to pull stuff out to sell, it's down. I just want to make money. :(

foladar

I haven't had it up once. This is ridiculous. People are making bank, I have so much stuff to sell and am getting left behind in the dust.

Yeah, I logged in, saw TP still under maintenance and promptly logged back out. Second day in a row.

Nekrono

They're not going to ban people for using a shader. The backlash would be enormous.

edit: just tried the SMAA injector on Ultra. The difference in between it and the in-game FXAA is incredibly negligible. I couldn't A/B the screenshots at all. Also, the SMAA injector screws with the UI.

I tried using SMAA and for some reason it doesn't work, image turns white after a few seconds, I don't think it works on AMD cards with this game, at least not on a 7970, I however found the absolute BEST image quality by maxing out everything in game (except FXAA of course) and rendering in "Supersample" mode and then downscaling from 1440p to 1080p, looks absolutely gorgeous.

It's completely jaggie-free in motion, you just have to turn the UI Scale to "Largest" since it scales down with that resolution.

i6jyjPQyWe2z2.jpg

Asuma01

Neo Member
I just want to name my character the name I have for every other char I have in every other mmo I have played. Its bullshit that unique names is still a thing.

KePoW

Banned
I just want to name my character the name I have for every other char I have in every other mmo I have played. Its bullshit that unique names is still a thing.

Well that's not going to change in GW2 so get on with picking a different name.

Mothman91

How do I go about making a ticket?

Someone was selling a warhorn through chat, and I offered 10s. He never replied until I asked him how much did the other guy offer? He said 15s, then I was like damn, I would've offered 20, oh well. Then he comes and says, it's yours then. I wait a bit after killing some mobs, and finally send him his 20s. I reply after a bit asking what's up? He said he never got my silver. So either I got scammed, or I accidentally inserted his name wrong in the compose mail. Want to see if a GM can sort this out correctly.

anyone?

KePoW

Banned
Its still ahead of FXAA - which, in my eyes, is blurry as hell.

Honestly, in your comparison shot above is FXAA supposed to be bad? Cause I really can't tell any difference besides the jagginess.

If that's the best screenshot you can come up with for anti-FXAA, I think you're looking too hard... there is basically no difference in the textures really.

<edit> looks like I'm not the only one who thinks your FXAA screenshot is fine

vaelic

Banned
Guild Wars 2 &#8207;@GuildWars2
We're doing some maintenance on the Black Lion Trading Company, gems and trading post. We'll keep you updated when they're back online ^SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom