• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Jesus christ. That's fucking ridiculous.

A bunch of what he says here isn't really honest, mind you. Nobody got banned for buying a weapon from a vendor. You had to be clearly attempting to exploit the error (50+ purchases and tossing them into the Mystic Forge to attempt to create powerful items) to even get as much as a 72 hour suspension.

Lebron

Is crafting even worth it at lower levels(I'm level 19)? From most of the other MMOs I've played, it's normally more costly and useless at lower levels. Was just curious if I should bother or wait it out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is anyone having problems with Catalyst 12.8?

Sometimes enemies and other models start flashing when I'm playing, and I'm wondering if I should roll back to a previous revision.

_machine

Is crafting even worth it at lower levels(I'm level 19)? From most of the other MMOs I've played, it's normally more costly and useless at lower levels. Was just curious if I should bother or wait it out.
The items might not be anything special at lower levels, but it does give a nice amount of xp; 100 crafting levels give you 2.5 character levels(up to a total of 10 levels per crafting profession) and it can be rather fast. Especially cooking seems to be a fast and easy way to level up fast. At later level I've found the items to be useful, 5 of my accesories are crafted by myself.

NZ2dh.png

Umm... What!?

hyduK

Banned
A bunch of what he says here isn't really honest, mind you. Nobody got banned for buying a weapon from a vendor. You had to be clearly attempting to exploit the error (50+ purchases and tossing them into the Mystic Forge to attempt to create powerful items) to even get as much as a 72 hour suspension.

Regardless, the shit where the staff is posting on reddit about the status of his account is stupid. 72 hour ban for botting? When people exploiting the developers mistakes manually got permabans?

I just find it funny because another certain developer would have been crucified for these issues (along with the server issues/trading post/authentication, etc), but it's largely okay because this is arenanet.

Is tailoring as ridiculous people on here are making it out to be? I'm stuck trying to decide on crafts for my necro. I am 90% sold on cooking, and was going to pair that with tailoring. I might go artifice instead if tailoring is borked.

Kingbrave

Sometimes enemies and other models start flashing when I'm playing, and I'm wondering if I should roll back to a previous revision.

The only time I had a problem was fighting the giant in Dissea and I was kinda far away but hadn't had a problem earlier. I just assume it's from all the people grouped there to kill him.

Also, everyone needs a hug or something.

Lebron

The items might not be anything special at lower levels, but it does give a nice amount of xp; 100 crafting levels give you 2.5 character levels(up to a total of 10 levels per crafting profession) and it can be rather fast. Especially cooking seems to be a fast and easy way to level up fast. At later level I've found the items to be useful, 5 of my accesories are crafted by myself.

Ah thanks, guess I'll give it a go then if it levels me up nicely.

Nekrono

I'm using 12.8 with a 7970 and I don't have any problems, except sometimes some world textures disappear for a split second, mainly in Divinity's Reach, but I think it's a game bug not a driver one.

Shambles

Banning exploiters is the sign of an incompetent developer. People are going to play it where they can progress as quickly as possible. It's not exploiters fault for playing by the rules of the game, it the developers fault for failing to match the rules of the world to their vision. That's just pathetic.

Teknoman

Dr Chocapic gave GW2 8 out of 10 (which is pretty good, considering he rated Portal 5/10): http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-guild-wars-2-SU3010010527t.html?pf=pc-160001

Good points according to him:

Well-done art direction
Very well-done spell (visual) effects
Massive world, dense zones
A real feeling of adventure
Varied and variable classes
The big, worldwide events
WvWvW (with good partners)
Tons of good ideas
Helping each other above all

Bad points according to him:

Not much to do with the original Guild Wars anymore
Technically and graphically uneven
Sometimes confusing, often brutal/rough (combat-wise)
Unconvincing personal stories
Some events are too mechanical

Agree with him on personal stories being unconvincing. Maybe its because i'm not that far in mine (or because it's the human side), but it really hasnt grabbed me yet. Other than that, game is awesome.

Kingbrave

Banning exploiters is the sign of an incompetent developer. People are going to play it where they can progress as quickly as possible. It's not exploiters fault for playing by the rules of the game, it the developers fault for failing to match the rules of the world to their vision. That's just pathetic.

Yeah, but can you say they didn't realize it's an exploit and took advantage? Every other MMO or online game would do the same. I do agree that for the first week they should be a little more lenient especially considering the problems they've had. Which should be expected because it's launch time and launch time is never perfect.

Kunan

Permabanning was a dumb idea. Should have been 72 hours. Also, there should have been a warning first telling people to stop or get banned.

I can't watch Kripp anymore. He's entertaining but he always finds the exploits, and thus his stream becomes a multi-thousand person exploit training camp. Also, he's pretty much lying in those explanation videos. People got banned for just sitting there doing it all day, not buying from vendors.

_machine

Agree with him on personal stories being unconvincing. Maybe its because i'm not that far in mine (or because it's the human side), but it really hasnt grabbed me yet. Other than that, game is awesome.
Same here until I got a bit further and started the Order quests, the missions themselves weren't anything special, but I do like some of the character and few missions gave some nice GW1 vibes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Regardless, the shit where the staff is posting on reddit about the status of his account is stupid. 72 hour ban for botting? When people exploiting the developers mistakes manually got permabans?

I just find it funny because another certain developer would have been crucified for these issues (along with the server issues/trading post/authentication, etc), but it's largely okay because this is arenanet.
AN said it before, but this isn't the RMT botting they're talking about (those guys got perma banned before) but the "I have one account but I'm smarter than them, so I'll bot!" type of attitued botters. I'd say high school kids etc., since I knew a few of those kind of people back in middle/high school myself. They probably won't try to bot anymore after this, seeing how easy it is for AN to shoot them down.

As for reddit, I think that using this instead of their official forums for sharing information was a really bad choice from the get go, but it seems they've at least moved the "state of the game" post to the official wiki, so that's a start. Still, hope the official forums will relaunch soon.

Sethos

Banned
Man, I'm getting desperate for a first person view mode now - So many beautiful places I need to screenshot without my stupid character getting in the way.

Kingbrave

Permabanning was a dumb idea. Should have been 72 hours. Also, there should have been a warning first telling people to stop or get banned.

I can't watch Kripp anymore. He's entertaining but he always finds the exploits, and thus his stream becomes a multi-thousand person exploit training camp. Also, he's pretty much lying in those explanation videos. People got banned for just sitting there doing it all day, not buying from vendors.

I agree on the permaban. It's launch week so be a little more forgiving. If they keep doing that shit then get them the fuck outta the game.

Audioboxer

Well, that's fucking awesome. How long have you been waiting since submitting a ticket?

I haven't submitted a ticket, just tried to login and I have that message. Been waiting 20 minutes for the supposed email.

Tried to login to official website, same message

Waiting for authentication...

Please check your email. A link is included which will allow you to authenticate this login attempt.

I've been skipping through my personal story dialogue. Its just not interesting. And thats a pretty big failure for ArenaNet. These are supposed to be driving gameplay forward. Otherwise its just random rat killing.

Welp. Submitted my ticket. Guess no Guild Wars 2 for me for a while. Can't imagine how long their support will take with how flooded they must be. I'm curious if this is just a random bug or if my account was hacked or what. Seems like a bug since I can still receive emails from the site if I request a username reminder or password change.

I also tried using my authentication link from the email I used days ago, says it worked and I'm authenticated. Try and log in, same message still pops up, so that was no good. Sucks.

This game has certainly led me to improve the security of all my accounts, so I suppose that's the silver lining. I still can't imagine why they don't have authenticators in a 2012 MMO. I used one for Diablo III and WOW and never had a single issue.

GW2 does at least have an IP address warning they'll issue you when someone attempts to log in from a different location. The problem is if your email has already been compromised, it won't make a bit of difference.

CoLaN

After reaching level 61 my Asura Engineer finally started to look decent/cool thanks to cultural armor, a yellow level 60 shield that has the same stats as the 35k karma one and a helm that i bought from a heart npc

engcl1k8s5v.jpg

engcl26hkcu.jpg

Blah. I'm away from my house this weekend and I keep reading all this stuff about hacking so I wanted to change my password, but I am accessing account.guildwars.com from a 3G connection, and as soon as I tried to log in, it gave me this:

Waiting for authentication...
Please check your email. A link is included which will allow you to authenticate this login attempt.

It has been like 20 minutes, and still no email. I had authenticated my email before without any issue.

Now it won't even let me log in I just get the following message on the client:

This sucks! I played last night from my 3G connection just fine. Now I got to wait. :-(

How long do we have to wait for this?

Just got the game and I've got a noob question that's probably been answered a million times. My friends say to join Fort Aspenwood but it's currently full right now. I know you can currently change worlds for free, but how does it work? Is it queue-based or do you have to stake out and stare at the world list until it's no longer full? I haven't made a character yet so I don't know anything right right now.

Edit: Just did some digging and found a video that showed how to transfer.

Jack_AG

Banned
Oh get off with the lying, I misunderstood your post, you misunderstood mine and then I'm basically a criminal, a prick, go fuck myself.

Get off your high horse.
So Inky posts a picture of exactly what I was talking about and you accepted his post... but since I wrote it in text I "misunderstood"?

Its the same information, two different posts, but you saying I misunderstood it... so does that mean Inky misunderstood it, too? If so... why did you accept his answer and claim I'm not "bright" with mine?

What the fuck are you on and what is your beef with me? I seriously don't want dickheads like you twisting words and lying about it in GAFguild. The policy is no drama - so stop starting shit for no good reason, Sethos.

Seriously, what's your beef with me - I'm interested since there has to be a reason you singled me out for saying the same shit as others.

Cronnie

The personal story got a bit more interesting around Level 40 for me, I do like
Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw
, pretty humorous adventures with him so far.

So Inky posts a picture of exactly what I was talking about and you accepted his post... but since I wrote it in text I "misunderstood"?

Its the same information, two different posts, but you saying I misunderstood it... so does that mean Inky misunderstood it, too? If so... why did you accept his answer and claim I'm not "bright" with mine?

What the fuck are you on and what is your beef with me? I seriously don't want dickheads like you twisting words and lying about it in GAFguild. The policy is no drama - so stop starting shit for no good reason, Sethos.

Seriously, what's your beef with me - I'm interested since there has to be a reason you singled me out for saying the same shit as others.

Time for a time out

Sethos

Banned
So much anger.

Any way, I made the mistake ( apparently ) of upgrading to Windows 8 - Had a W8 SFOD ( Smiley face of death ) and this weird state where I could open stuff on the desktop and move around as the game froze, however I couldn't click. Now had GW do something weird on me 3 times after upgrading, starting to regret it. Hoping it's something-other-than-OS-related.

Anyone else on Windows 8 and having issues?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
....right.

Back on if anybody needs an invite, please PM Hawkian the Blade. I'm multitasking atm but I'll be able to get after a few minutes at most.

Audioboxer

So much anger.

Any way, I made the mistake ( apparently ) of upgrading to Windows 8 - Had a W8 SFOD ( Smiley face of death ) and this weird state where I could open stuff on the desktop and move around as the game froze, however I couldn't click. Now had GW do something weird on me 3 times after upgrading, starting to regret it. Hoping it's something-other-than-OS-related.

Anyone else on Windows 8 and having issues?

There is your answer :p

Can't be of more help haha, but, Windows 8, yuuuuck.

Also still no verification email for me, will really suck if I can't play tonight....

tci

*authentication*

This sucks! I played last night from my 3G connection just fine. Now I got to wait. :-(

Yea, been waiting for 30 min now. Looks like I will not be playing tonight. :(

Sethos

Banned
Audίoboxer;41647416 said:
There is your answer :p

Can't be of more help haha, but, Windows 8, yuuuuck.

Also still no verification email for me, will really suck if I can't play tonight....

It's actually not bad man, once you've tweaked a few things and discover things on your own. Even found a use for the Metro start amazingly. I'm not disliking it like I once did, however game instability is a big no-no.

Yea, been waiting for 30 min now. Looks like I will not be playing tonight. :(
I just checked my email and I had received an email on the 25th where I authenticated my email and played with no problem till today. I guess I shouldn't have tried accessing accounts.guildwars.com, from the cottage.

Blarg!

Killer

Banned
Blah. I'm away from my house this weekend and I keep reading all this stuff about hacking so I wanted to change my password, but I am accessing account.guildwars.com from a 3G connection, and as soon as I tried to log in, it gave me this:

It has been like 20 minutes, and still no email. I had authenticated my email before without any issue.

Audίoboxer;41646769 said:
I haven't submitted a ticket, just tried to login and I have that message. Been waiting 20 minutes for the supposed email.

Tried to login to official website, same message

Guys check your junk folder. There where I found the email.

I am getting exactly the same authentication email problem. I did all this previously but for some reason it wants to authenticate my account again and no email is coming through. It is a bit of a bummer. I hope they fix it by tomorrow, I was looking forward to getting my character through some levels this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom