• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

shigsy

This game really does look incredible at times. Had fun with an Asura Mesmer and got an invite into the GAF guild on Gandara last night (EU). Was blown away when 2-3 fellow Asura GAF members showed up to help me out with the opening few levels...... only to remember I'm a Mesmer (I was alone - they were my Illusions!) :)

KZe2o.jpg

R8fZL.jpg

mmscH.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Honestly though it does look like ArenaNet has some growing pains to go through before they reach an equilibrium regarding bugs, balance and general policy. And in addition to that there are some legitimate concerns regarding the quality of endgame that need more time to be properly evaluated. I am hyped about what I have seen in action. The character models I've seen so far aren't too impressive but the vistas and enviornments look gorgeous.

All things considered I think I am going to play on the cautious side and wait until the game has been out for at least a month before I dip in. Better safe than sorry and hopefully by the time I get back the game is functioning super smooth and has had time to be properly evaluated.

pigeon

Banned
Audίoboxer;41646769 said:
I haven't submitted a ticket, just tried to login and I have that message. Been waiting 20 minutes for the supposed email.

Tried to login to official website, same message

I just had this same problem. Kind of pissed that there is no phone number to call. The first time I tried to log in I got the email, clicked the link, but forgot to click "remember this IP." Wish I had now!

Coolwhip

Banned
I think the game just isn't for me. I have tried several times now to get into it, but after 10 minutes I just get bored and log off. I just don't feel the progression, with previous MMO's I liked getting new skills at certain levels or getting nice gear upgrades. I also think the social aspect of GW2 isn't as fluent as it should be. You can't even look up which people are currently playing in a zone (as far as I'm aware). And the gameplay is pretty stale, at least as a warrior. I also looked at a couple of livestreams of level 80s and that doesn't look compelling to me. The pvp looks too massive and zergy and the dungeons look boring due to the lack of classroles. I think it's great Anet tried something new though and I'm sure a lot of people love it, but not me.

I just had this same problem. Kind of pissed that there is no phone number to call. The first time I tried to log in I got the email, clicked the link, but forgot to click "remember this IP." Wish I had now!

I did, and it still asked me once again to go find the auth email when I tried to log in just now.

ShaneB

What's the update on Server transfers? My friend just bought the game and of coruse wanted to get on the same server as me, but Stormbluff Isle is full as we all know. Server transfers still free for a little while?

pigeon

Banned
I did, and it still asked me once again to go find the auth email when I tried to log in just now.

They tweeted about ten minutes ago that they thought the problem was fixed. It's clearly not, since they're receiving upset Tweets at the rate of about one a second now. (Not to mention Facebook comments.)

syko de4d

I think the game just isn't for me. I have tried several times now to get into it, but after 10 minutes I just get bored and log off. I just don't feel the progression, with previous MMO's I liked getting new skills at certain levels or getting nice gear upgrades. I also think the social aspect of GW2 isn't as fluent as it should be. You can't even look up which people are currently playing in a zone (as far as I'm aware). And the gameplay is pretty stale, at least as a warrior. I also looked at a couple of livestreams of level 80s and that doesn't look compelling to me. The pvp looks too massive and zergy and the dungeons look boring due to the lack of classroles. I think it's great Anet tried something new though and I'm sure a lot of people love it, but not me.
i have the same problem. After 10minutes i get bored like i never get in any other MMO i ever played :/

Trey

^The game doesn't tell you where to go, what to do, and when to do it outside of your personal story. And you don't have a monthly subscription fueling your obligation to play the game. That may be why the "sense of progression" isn't there for you. Anet was originally designing GW2 to have no levels at all. There is no end game to get to. You are playing the game how it's meant to be played at all times.

Hopefully something occurs that you can latch on to and roll with. Or not. It happens. Not everyone will like GW2.

I've been skipping through my personal story dialogue. Its just not interesting. And thats a pretty big failure for ArenaNet. These are supposed to be driving gameplay forward. Otherwise its just random rat killing.

There are significant story branches that arise rather often, so you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping all the dialogue without thought. I do agree that it's some pretty dry stuff, however. Best bit of dialogue I've come across was overheard from some NPC kids.

2San

According to him, he got 8 gold for 20k karma. I agree with him that such a thing is not an exploit, and I agree that the amnesty is because they realized the backlash was coming.
If that's not an exploit that what do you do understand under exploit? Perma ban sounds way too harsh though.

Rad-

What's with most of the male human faces looking like women? I tried to make a badass looking guy but he ended up looking like Ashton Kutcher, no matter what settings I changed.

Won

WvW just doesn't want to pop. :/

Probably my biggest problem with the game. Not having an easy way to mix PvP into my leveling experience.

Hoo-doo

Banned
i have the same problem. After 10minutes i get bored like i never get in any other MMO i ever played :/

I think it's the lack of direction. In most mmo's you know exactly where to go, what to click and what will happen. There's a plethora of quests available so there's always a clear route ahead for your character.

In GW2 however, I noticed this does not really exist. I frequently roll around in areas either below my level, areas with nothing to do, or areas of a way higher level, where i'm barely effective in combat. I have had multiple moments on every character in almost every area where I just have no clue where the fuck to go next, and every location I think I should go ends in frustration. I just wish there was more content for a certain level range per area.

In WoW for example you don't even have to do 70% of a zone's quests to reach a level high enough for the next zone. Here in GW2 I entered Kessex Hills at lvl 15, and I left there at lvl 24 even though I 100% cleared every single bit of content in the entire zone, and even did a lot of questing in one of the other 15-25 zones.
Now i'm actually underlevelled for the next zone i'm in (the quests are all aimed at lvl 26) and i'm generally not having a ton of fun until I level up beyond that. It's frustrating.

It's still a fantastic game and I will play it for a long time, but the PVE experience is rough if you're used to other more "standard" MMO's.

Trey

beat you, hoo doo.

WvW just doesn't want to pop. :/

Probably my biggest problem with the game. Not having an easy way to mix PvP into my leveling experience.

Explore at the same time.

re: leveling

Anet made a lot of game and they seem to be hell bent on making you see all that shit. It's a "grind" of a much more variable nature.

Unless you want to craft your way through levels (which requires really nice friends or going out and exploring anyways) or exploit your way through levels (good luck), then I hope you packed some comfy boots.

Jack_AG

Banned
Yeah, I'm in the process of making a Windows 7 USB. While it does have some positives, it does feel like someone took Windows 7, crowbarred in some tablet specific features and reset the stability counter. Metro I can somewhat deal with, starting from 0 on stability in games and software ( Obviously an individual experience )? No, my patience doesn't stretch that far. Especially not with an RTM product build over Windows 7, this should be rock solid in every way possible.

And yes, I'd also like to apologize. We certainly got off to a wrong foot, I'm mainly to blame. I came from from surgery yesterday and I'm not taking pills 5 times a day, that and the recovery has made me stranger than usual. I don't have a beef with you at all man, I'm just the occasional arrogant asshole.

Aside from the touch-interface, I was expecting the same as you with Win8 and was greeted with "SUCK IT!" upon booting up :(

Also, I'm the same way with having bad days. Now - you and I are BFFs from this day forth - meaning - we need to kill shit in game together :)

Although I might be leveling a bit slow since I'm kinda tossing around getting back on my Ele... unsure though...

Change topics:

I'm hoping ANet will put in an option to tone down ability effects other than your own (similar to WoW's). There wasn't even that many people here but I'll be damned if the whole fight the boss wasn't in a cloud of everyone else's ability effects... making it nearly impossible for me to watch his animations... not that the dude was hard or anything - but triple the amount of people on a harder boss and I don't dig melee range XD

Cronnie

What's with most of the male human faces looking like women? I tried to make a badass looking guy but he ended up looking like Ashton Kutcher, no matter what settings I changed.

Yeah it's a shame really, you either end up looking like a pretty boy, or one ugly grunt.

LTWheels

In GW2 I just wonder about with no specific goal. Most of the time I don't even realise I have levelled up! Quite refreshing really after playing such guided mmos in the past.

I personally believe that if SWG was released today (pre-NGE) with some modern polish, people would love it. I feel as if MMOs are starting to move away from the themepark model. I could see it being very popular in a post-Minecraft world.

Lol seems like I am getting the random email verification now too. I changed my email adress not long ago and even got it verified this morning and now I can't get in. Joy
KuGsj.gif

Trey

I'm hoping ANet will put in an option to tone down ability effects other than your own (similar to WoW's). There wasn't even that many people here but I'll be damned if the whole fight the boss wasn't in a cloud of everyone else's ability effects... making it nearly impossible for me to watch his animations... not that the dude was hard or anything - but triple the amount of people on a harder boss and I don't dig melee range XD

That would be prime. The only thing you need to see your allies do are ground targets. And you can just have the regular circle show up for that. This would make those huge one-boss fights much better.

syko de4d

looks like everyone has verfications emails now and Anet has problems to send them right now.
Just look at they twitter/facebook account, many people have this problem

So I shouldn't bother putting in any sort of ticket for email authentication issue? Just wait it out and pray no one really hacked my account.

Shitty timing on my day off.

etiolate

Banned
Why does the amount matter? If he was taking advantage of an obvious exploit, he was violating the ToS. I dont think that was perma-ban worthy, but definitely ban worthy for a week at least and basically rolling-back or simply taking away all of their gold and items

The point is that it's not an obvious exploit. I would not have seen it as an exploit if it was me. I'd be sacrificing karma for gold. I might not do that, because I want certain items that cost karma only. He wanted gold, so he did it.

What are the rules of the game other than what the game tells you they are?

KingKong

Does anyone else think the personal quest balance is messed up? I can beat them 2 levels below recommended but all my NPC allies die in seconds and do like no damage

Reikon

I think it's the lack of direction. In most mmo's you know exactly where to go, what to click and what will happen. There's a plethora of quests available so there's always a clear route ahead for your character.

In GW2 however, I noticed this does not really exist. I frequently roll around in areas either below my level, areas with nothing to do, or areas of a way higher level, where i'm barely effective in combat. I have had multiple moments on every character in almost every area where I just have no clue where the fuck to go next, and every location I think I should go ends in frustration. I just wish there was more content for a certain level range per area.

In WoW for example you don't even have to do 70% of a zone's quests to reach a level high enough for the next zone. Here in GW2 I entered Kessex Hills at lvl 15, and I left there at lvl 24 even though I 100% cleared every single bit of content in the entire zone, and even did a lot of questing in one of the other 15-25 zones.
Now i'm actually underlevelled for the next zone i'm in (the quests are all aimed at lvl 26) and i'm generally not having a ton of fun until I level up beyond that. It's frustrating.

It's still a fantastic game and I will play it for a long time, but the PVE experience is rough if you're used to other more "standard" MMO's.

I would call that more like a post-WoW MMO than a "standard" MMO. What you complain about is what older styles of MMOs are like, which emphasized freedom and exploring more than following the linear theme park they set up for you.

GW2 is kind of a mix of both old and new. The quests and events are a lot more theme park-like than old MMOs, but they encourage you to play your own way and explore like older MMOs.

I wish they had given us the option to use this verification...or rolled it out when they knew they could handle it. Oh well off to play something else for a while.

Arg!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay, this is literally fucking stupid and I'm actually pissed now. Why couldn't they have an authenticator? Like seriously. wtf?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, this is literally fucking stupid and I'm actually pissed now. Why couldn't they have an authenticator? Like seriously. wtf?
Well, they turned e-mail authentication on for everyone by default. You definitely don't have an email from them right?

Dreavus

Aside from the touch-interface, I was expecting the same as you with Win8 and was greeted with "SUCK IT!" upon booting up :(

Also, I'm the same way with having bad days. Now - you and I are BFFs from this day forth - meaning - we need to kill shit in game together :)

Although I might be leveling a bit slow since I'm kinda tossing around getting back on my Ele... unsure though...

Change topics:

I noticed this for pretty much the first time when facing the Ghostly Thief boss in the Ascalonian Catacombs (explore mode). He has a telegraphed attack that is ESSENTIAL to dodge, because if you don't, he pulls you in and it's a one hit kill. He has a pretty telltale sign (his hands "flash" and it looks like he's winding up), but when I was far away, and someone just threw down some AoEs, and my damage numbers were flying everywhere... it was tough to actually see him!

LProtag

How do you guys handle stuff like grenades with engineer? I've just been mashing on the attack button really, but is there an easier way?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, they turned e-mail authentication on for everyone by default. You definitely don't have an email from them right?

My brother still hasn't got it to work. He's been logging in fine without ever being asked to authorize the access.

It's weird.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would call that more like a post-WoW MMO than a "standard" MMO. What you complain about is what older styles of MMOs are like, which emphasized freedom and exploring more than following the linear playground they set up for you.

GW2 is kind of a mix of both old and new. The quests and events are a lot more playground-like than old MMOs, but they encourage you to play your own way and explore like older MMOs.

Personally, I've not had much trouble feeling I'm under-leveled to progress in PVE, but for a caveat here's the pattern I seem to have fallen into:

Enter zone

Begin sweeping for heart locations, check if nearby dynamic events are too stiff for my current level

Do the first few hearts

Be sure to hit all points of interest, challenges, and vistas along the way

Also harvest everything from all three categories, not just the one I'm focusing on crafting with

Take random breaks during this time to warp back to home base and perform crafting with a focus on discovery

Pay attention to my progress with the daily achievements and hop around to a few places in zones I've already been in order to take part in random events that are running and kill a variety of mobs.

So... isn't the leveling balanced to take crafting into account? It seems they really want to encourage people to craft here, especially with the bonus XP from discovering, and the fact that the gear you craft for yourself can actually be really great at any given level range.

It does seem the game is 'old school' in how it leans towards expecting the player to occupy themselves by figuring out what they can do, and to be fair to that design choice it's very free in allowing you to focus on what you really feel like doing at the moment. Also unless I'm misunderstanding it, going back to previous zones to clean up dailies and participate in random events in progress still gets you good XP and good rewards due to how the level scaling is set up.

Rather than move from zone to zone and have each previous zone become irrelevant as you progress towards 80, to me it feels like what is really happening is the game world is opening up more and more. The entire thing is your playground, and earlier areas do not become irrelevant or useless for progression.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Oh they turned it on EVERYONE? When? then maybe I didn't get hacked and the email is taking FUCKING FOREVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom